Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 15:20   #16
BHPian

Any competent chaps who can service the door mechanism in Mumbai?
Might as well get all four done, can't risk the H5 leather package.
Old 7th June 2012, 15:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Corolla Power Windows: Service?

I have a 2003 Corolla myself and believe the power window motor can't pack up so fast.
  • Does the window go up and down better with the engine running(viz. voltage at 14volts)?If yes,then your motor is weak.
  • Buy a bottle of Waxpol Vinyl and leather polish (Rs.110) and smear the stuff on the window channel and see if movement improves.DO NOT USE OIL . If the problem persists,just get the window winder mechanism serviced (you'll need to get the door panel opened and grease applied at al joints)
  • Also please check operation of the front left side window and the rear windows - are they all ok?You'll also find that the front takes a longer time to close than the rear - that's normal
Even after servicing the driver door mechanism if you find that the motor keeps stopping,you'll need to get the motor rewound(should cost in the region of 500-600 bucks) ; I did it on my Esteem's Mitsubishi power windows way back in 2004 for 250 bucks

EDIT:

There is a black horizontal "patti" between the door panel top and the window pane - that could have gone loose and can cause the window to get stuck ; faced this problem one month back and got the panel removed and the "patti" refixed

Last edited by vigsom : 7th June 2012 at 15:59. Reason: addn.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 16:27   #18
BHPian

Great, thanks for all the inputs.
The rest of the windows work well.
This one works well too, except the 'dead' feeling that has happened twice or thrice, after many months, when I'm trying to raise the window. After a while it comes up smooth and fast.

I guess will have to open it up and see
1. Patties
2. Anything stuck, hampering the movement
3. Rust/Lack of lubrication
4. Motor condition.

Will keep you all posted by Saturday.

But any mechanics around?
Old 7th June 2012, 16:56   #19
BHPian

Re: Power Windows Problem

A very timely thread for me. Got this strange problem lately (thanks to the lethargy of Carplus dry cleaning I got done this saturday). The rear window glasses (on both sides) do not go up with the buttons that I have on the drivers side. However, if I operate them using the buttons on the respective doors, it works fine.

I noticed the problem when I tried taking the car out, at that point in time the rear windows were completely non-responsive. Neither were coming down nor were going up. Later, it started going down but as I said, it doesnt come up. The only thing I have noticed is that the button/switch seems a little "rigid" (as if some kinda spring not working anymore) to touch when I try to pull it up.

Before I take it to Ford, any pointers? I do not think the "current" from these switches to motor is an issue as it responds to "go down" requests. Obviously motors are fine too.
Old 13th June 2012, 19:09   #20
BHPian

So, Saturday was busy with a drive to Pune, lovely weather all through, couldn't risk putting the window down.
So got an appointment with Shinrai Toyota for today.

Service engineer presses all buttons, all windows work properly (with the engine off) and he announces:
1. All four rubber surrounds around the windows should be replaced.
2. The drivers side motor is gone. (while the glass is moving up and down smoothly in front of me).
3. Cost for four rubber things and 1 window motor will be Rs. 16,000.
4. Only replacement, no service is possible.

I look at him and the service advisor and walk off, saying I'll wait for the window to actually fail, before I think of spending 16,000.

Will get another opinion from another garage. Also will try out the wax as suggested.

Should they be henceforth named as Authorised Replacement Centres?
Old 8th September 2012, 18:03   #21
BHPian

So the motor finally packed up. The original Toyota motor by Denso cost me just Rs 6500 as it was an unboxed piece, plus labour.
The channels were cleaned and arm were oiled, now it's all working as good as new.

Have the old motor, need to figure out a way to repair it. Will keep it as a backup.
Old 8th September 2012, 19:22   #22
BHPian

The old motor is likely a brushed type. You can probably get it rewound and get new brushes put in. If the guy doing it is somewhat like me, he can rewind the motor for a higher amperage to speed it up- but this will come at a cost to switch wear, and in extreme cases will damage the wiring.
P.S. There are ways around the damage as well. I'm planning to do the same for my Ikon myself.
Old 8th September 2012, 23:17   #23
BHPian

Ah thanks for the info. I doubt I'll be opening up the motor myself, will look for a repair shop in Mumbai. And if I can, will try and get it to original specs, not higher speed.
Old 9th September 2012, 14:01   #24
BHPian

Hey guys, I've been having this problem with my Alto driver side power window for several months now. The window goes down perfectly fine, but while going up, it is supposed to stop when it reaches the top of the door. It doesn't. After the window is completely up, the mechanism still tries to push the glass up and hence makes a "kat kat" noise as long as the switch is held in position.

I asked in MASS, and neighborhood garages as well. They all said I need to replace the winder, without even inspecting the issue. Can anyone here give me any pointers regarding this?

PS. A secondary and minor issue is that there seem to be slight rattles from both driver side and passenger side door while driving with the glasses up. Also, when the door is closed, it makes a slight noise as if some components are loose inside the door. However, while driving or closing the door with the glasses down, they seem perfectly fine, no noise. What might be the issue, and what do I need to inspect?

The car is 9 years old.

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th September 2012, 14:12   #25
BHPian

The lining wears out and the tight fit of the glass gets loose. Could be a reason for the rattle.
If it's nine years old, get the lining on all windows replaced and the winding mechanism inspected/serviced.
Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 10:59   #26
BHPian

Re: Lancer : Power window circuit switch gone bust

Just came upon this thread now. I had a similar problem with my 5-yr old Baleno. The rear right window was not operating from the master console near the driver, but could be operated from the rear door itself. MASS recommended replacement of the master console at 6,000 odd rupees plus a waiting period of three weeks.
My neighbouring mechanic, 65 years old, took one look, and sprayed a generous amount of WD-40 into the master console switch. Presto - it sprang to life, and worked without a hitch till I sold the car a year later!
filcord is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 18:30   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
Any competent chaps who can service the door mechanism in Mumbai?
Might as well get all four done, can't risk the H5 leather package.
A few good men as rare as a flying hen.

That referred to honest mechanics of any category in the auto industry here. I'd like to contribute my experience with a recent chap who did a good job of power windows in my car and charged a honest fee; Rs.400. Don't know what exactly was the problem as the window jammed and refused to come up. He seemed resourceful with a ready old switch kit in his treasury, however was honest enough to admit that it was not the switch kit which had a problem as he guessed initially. Did some wire changes and oiling.

Name; Irfan
Number; 9969107055
Location; Nr Petrol Pump, Juhu Versova Link Rd.

Cheers.
VernaCular is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2016, 05:53   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automaton View Post
This one works well too, except the 'dead' feeling that has happened twice or thrice, after many months, when I'm trying to raise the window. After a while it comes up smooth and fast.

I guess will have to open it up and see
1. Patties
2. Anything stuck, hampering the movement
3. Rust/Lack of lubrication
4. Motor condition.
Got the exact problem as described. Need more time to isolate. It has been just two days of owning the car and discovering issues and making a list and then will end up in a fixing spree. It looks like the winder motor to me as it intermittenly works ok. It doens't seem to get stuck at same place as that might indicate an issue with winder channels. Its all guess work until door panels are opened and inspected.
Old 3rd October 2016, 13:05   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernaCular View Post
Did some wire changes and oiling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
looks like the winder motor to me as it intermittenly works ok. It doens't seem to get stuck at same place as that might indicate an issue with winder channels.
Oil in the channels is a strict No No.

Have the assembly opened and channels cleaned with plain water to remove grime.That caked stuff is enough to make the mechanism get stuck.

The joints need practically no lubrication.There is a white grease that is used on plastic worm gears.

I would suspect the motor only if it has been operated up/down over 5000 times.Generally the motors,especially DENSO, never pack up.
Old 3rd October 2016, 15:15   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
..There is a white grease that is used on plastic worm gears.
Is Vaseline petroleum jelly recommended? or is that a dust and grime magnet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks