Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 10:59   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

This is interesting. I am assuming this can fit my Logan easily. Where can I get this in Delhi / Gurgaon?
Old 6th April 2011, 11:08   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is there any risk? Can you please suggest improvements?

Hi Satya, you are the second Zen owner speaking against this product. Thanks for the comments. Can you please elaborate the negatives over that 2,000 kms drive?

I'll know how it is on the highway only after this weekend. However, I wouldn't write it off based on the Zen experience because it's a different product on a different car.
GTO,

Without anyone in the rear ,I had handling issues when taking corners at higher speeds.If i remember properly ,I did feel the rear end try to step out of line .Braking was also bad and this was prominent .I then reduced my tire pressure to see if this would compensate for the additional stiffness in the rear.This also didnt help much

To sum it up ,the difference in handling was very clear with this set up when no one was sitting in the rear .

Maybe the Civic being a heavier vehicle than the Zen,this might not be so evident .

Also ,I would caution everyone against blindly going for this set up as this could be dangerous when one is a fast driver and also in wet conditions when the rear stepping out could be serious issues

Last edited by speedsatya : 6th April 2011 at 11:10.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:27   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
This is interesting. I am assuming this can fit my Logan easily.
I would NOT apply this on a Logan; the Logan has excellent ride & handling in stock form for a family sedan. Please avoid.

Again, I only recommend this Mod for those who are facing a problem with their stock setup (Civic topping that list). Don't worry if your car sits with 5 onboard; every car will to an extent! Just that the Civic's rear is very poorly tuned and completely out of sync with the front. I don't understand what job Honda engineers did, and whether they tested their tune at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Without anyone in the rear ,I had handling issues when taking corners at higher speeds.If i remember properly ,I did feel the rear end try to step out of line .Braking was also bad and this was prominent .I then reduced my tire pressure to see if this would compensate for the additional stiffness in the rear.This also didnt help much
Sounds like the skateboard effect. Did you suspension have much damping after the mod?

Quote:
Also ,I would caution everyone against blindly going for this set up as this could be dangerous when one is a fast driver and also in wet conditions when the rear stepping out could be serious issues
I completely agree.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:37   #79
Senior - BHPian

GTO ,

I dont remember as this was some 5-6 years ago .But I do remember cursing myself for having altered the suspension.
I remember that i had to alter my driving style wherein I used to brake much before I entered a curve rather than the earlier slow ins and fast outs.

If you plan to use the civic with 5 on board regularly ,then maybe this setup might be of help to you .Also ,with 5 or even 4 on board you would have comparatively lesser speeds.So ,the handling problem may not come out .The problem arises only when you drive light .

BTW ,have you checked your rear suspension set up ?Is this problem seen in other Civics as well.

I remember the old PAL Peugot 309s and the 118 NE had similar problems
Old 6th April 2011, 12:41   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
GTO ,

I dont remember as this was some 5-6 years ago .But I do remember cursing myself for having altered the suspension.
I remember that i had to alter my driving style wherein I used to brake much before I entered a curve rather than the earlier slow ins and fast outs.
I remember these issues with people who went 14 inch on the zens as they were forced to use 2 inch spacers that pre loaded the suspension a lot more making it rough, bouncy and unpredictable (twichy while braking) almost similarly to what you explained. This was more pronounced if the car was driven alone as there was any weight on the rear wheels.

You would have also noticed that this effect was lesser when the tank was full.

As GTO mentioned this may not necessarily be the right mod for all cars but could be looked as an option.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:47   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would NOT apply this on a Logan; the Logan has excellent ride & handling in stock form for a family sedan. Please avoid.
Thanks GTO, point taken.
Lately (around 70K kms on the ODO, out of which about 15K has happened on bad roads, and a recent replacement of the front shocks and arms), I am detecting a slightly increased vertical travel at the rear, which is a bit unsettling. So, I was thinking, perhaps this Mod can reduce the travel a bit and make the rear firmer. But, since you disrecommend it, I'll live with it.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:09   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
No way. Have you been in a Civic with coilovers? I have, and I hate it! The ride gets bumpy and stiff as hell. I would never recommend coilovers for a street setup unless you drive on roads that are flatter than a table top.

A picture would help Keshav. I am picking up these for my friends Civic. He just moved back from coilovers to stock and has 17" wheels. We want to ensure the rear doesn't sag and foul with the tyres on full load.
Well if im right you can adjust the damping force on the coilovers, making it stiffer or softer. What coilovers are you talking about? And was ride the only reason why the person is removing coilovers? Also if its Vikram I remember his initial review saying the ride had not deteriorated much at all.

Quote:

As Moral posted, coilovers are a poor (and VERY expensive) choice for Indian driving conditions. However, if & when I get a performance setup, it'll be Koni FSDs with springs that aren't too stiff.

Right now though, the more I'm driving with this new rear, the more I'm getting convinced on my existing setup.
But ive seen a couple of reviews here itself, including M4UGR8's on his Civic. He says coilovers are better than the Konis he had earlier. Another member has them on his TC'ed Swift and again says the ride is decent.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:42   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Then, at the front, install it at the bottom of the spring and not top. Darryl recommends this anyways.

Sorry, don't remember. @ Hiren : Can you please help out here once you get your adjusters in hand?
I am getting it done at Milestone, guess you got it done at the same place.
Not sure if Darryl will be around, but I will tell Ferdie about installing this at the bottom up front.

Will surely weigh these on Saturday.

Cheers
Old 6th April 2011, 17:37   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Vikram has also got a boot full of ICE, right? Check. His car will be sagging even with no one onboard.
Not much actually, he has a 15 incher and two amps. It shouldn't sag as much. The car is still in the garage and should be back in a day or two.

Automech has them in stock? What size did you require for your car? I'll be visiting Bombay over the weekend to pick these up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well if im right you can adjust the damping force on the coilovers, making it stiffer or softer. What coilovers are you talking about? And was ride the only reason why the person is removing coilovers? Also if its Vikram I remember his initial review saying the ride had not deteriorated much at all.
He has D2's. Yes, ride was the only reason for reverting to stock. We were running it on the softest available option. Ask him now, if he enjoyed the "ride". Handling is superb with coilovers but you have to slow down at every rough road for the fear of flying off. Coilovers make the car bounce around too much to even have good road contact. We have driven that car extensively on the expressway and you had to go slow at every small bridge on the road fearing a flying Civic.

On the other hand, Amey got Koni's. Not even the FSD's. The normal Yellow ones. You should sit in that car and compare the compromise in ride or the lack of it vis-a-vis the upgraded handling it offers. I bet you'll opt for Koni's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Lately (around 70K kms on the ODO, out of which about 15K has happened on bad roads, and a recent replacement of the front shocks and arms), I am detecting a slightly increased vertical travel at the rear, which is a bit unsettling. So, I was thinking, perhaps this Mod can reduce the travel a bit and make the rear firmer. But, since you disrecommend it, I'll live with it.
Try putting two sacks of sand in the boot to see if the travel reduces. Increased vertical travel (diving from the front feeling) could also be a reason of worn out rear brakes. This causes a front brake bias and the rear tends to give a feeling of "more vertical travel".

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th April 2011 at 17:47.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:01   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I would agree Rehaan but at this point I don't want to splurge upwards of 40K for new suspension
I was suggesting you replace just the shock absorbers (even if only at the rear). It will be way cheaper than the price you've mentioned, and if your shock absorbers are worn out it will be a huge improvement in ride quality vis a vis the coil spring adjusters.

However, if all you want to do is reduce sag at the rear, these coil spring adjusters might be more suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
...aluminium spacers....
Do these effectively work like cutting the springs, but without a loss in ride height?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th April 2011 at 18:03.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:17   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Do these effectively work like cutting the springs, but without a loss in ride height?
Yes it stiffens the suspension but also raises the car.
Old 6th April 2011, 18:41   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I was suggesting you replace just the shock absorbers (even if only at the rear). It will be way cheaper than the price you've mentioned, and if your shock absorbers are worn out it will be a huge improvement in ride quality vis a vis the coil spring adjusters.

However, if all you want to do is reduce sag at the rear, these coil spring adjusters might be more suitable.

cya
R
Rehaan, my car though almost 5 years old has barely done 25K KMS. So I doubt if my suspension has worn out.
I have not found out the cost of replacement suspension, but I doubt it'd be cheap.

Regards
Old 6th April 2011, 18:51   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Try putting two sacks of sand in the boot to see if the travel reduces. Increased vertical travel (diving from the front feeling) could also be a reason of worn out rear brakes. This causes a front brake bias and the rear tends to give a feeling of "more vertical travel".
Hmmm. Didn't think of this. Brakes may indeed be a culprit. I'll get those checked. Thanks a ton.
Old 6th April 2011, 19:18   #89
Senior - BHPian

Just want to know if this can be used in Baleno? For rear suspension. I'm satisfied with the handling of the Baleno but it bottoms out with passangers in the rear and this might be a good way to avoid that. Is it advisable on a Baleno?
Old 6th April 2011, 19:50   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
However one point a cut spacer like this ...
Hi,
Should we think of these as spacers or as helper springs?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks