Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 10:14   #46
BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

I did try this around 6-7 years ago. Ride quality suffers. In my case the ride became too bumpy and GTO is right, tyre life takes a toll as well.

Although, I tried it on zen (after upgrading the tyres to a size one too big). Civic might react differently.
It was not worth it for me.
Old 4th April 2011, 13:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspensio

Oh this is godsend GTO. I have mailed Darryl and waiting for this response. If all goes well I will get this done as soon as this weekend.

I am planning to get this done on all four corners. Advisable?
Old 4th April 2011, 14:08   #48
BHPian

While we wait for GTO's feedback on this product, what are your views on using this in a Tata Manza?

I feel Manza's suspension is very soft (especially rear) and since 50% of my travel is on highways (around 2k per month), the only objective is to stiffen it up a bit to reduce body roll and bouciness when loaded on highway (again especially rear). I don't need to increase the GC (it's already good), so might use it just below the middle coil. What do you folks suggest?

Earlier I was planning to modify the existing suspension with stiffer coils and dampers but decided to wait till the car is in warranty. Now since this is a VFM and reversible solution, I am tempted to give it a try.
Old 4th April 2011, 20:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Slip out: I would be more comfortable if it was molded in a cylindrical shape (without the cut)
Quote:
Like I said, it would be a lot better if it was cylindrical shaped without the break (cut) in the middle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
Geometrically speaking it is not possible to insert a cylinder in loops of a helix (helical spring). Similar to it being impossible to insert a circle in loops of a spiral.
Hi,
Agree with alto.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 4th April 2011, 20:51   #50
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Drove the car for another 40 kms today in the suburbs. We all know how average the road quality is, and I still don't feel any noticeable deterioration in ride quality.

Most of all, I'm just enjoying driving a Civic that doesn't sag at the back anymore. Perfectly leveled =

Quote:
Noise, I guess its somehow acting as a noise damper.
Can you please explain how? The manufacturer of this product mentioned noise reduction a couple of times; I thought it was marketing faff and ignored it.

Quote:
Are you noticing lesser bodyroll in corners? It should also reduce understeer in theory.
Will know over this weekends trip. However, on a couple of twisties in the city that I'm very familiar with, the rear felt better planted. In fact, if this works in the longer term, I'm ditching the performance suspension plan.

Quote:
Slip out: I would be more comfortable if it was molded in a cylindrical shape (without the cut)
I presume the reason it isn't is, then he'd have to make it specific to each car (and its springs). Right now, you just cut and fit the product to your requirements.

Quote:
Too late, but if you like how the post '09 civics ride, another option is to swap out your springs with theirs'
But this costs a fraction of the price of new springs no? And wouldn't the facelift Civic have firmer dampers too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
The spring adjuster will NOT come off. Remember this is placed when the suspension is in full droop on the car lift. In any kind of driving your suspension will NEVER be in full droop position, unless you are in the air at WRC!
I'm going to agree with this. While many have expressed a doubt on the international forums, have yet to come across a single reported incident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
I did try this around 6-7 years ago.
Which product / brand was it? How much had you paid? Installed from where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I am planning to get this done on all four corners. Advisable?
Civic? No ways, just get it for the rears. The Civic's front has excellent bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
While we wait for GTO's feedback on this product, what are your views on using this in a Tata Manza?
If you read my Manza review, I had complained about excessive vertical movement (just like the Civics). These adjusters have made the rear sit flatter. However, I'm not too sure how good the quality of springs in the Manza is, and whether they can cope with the additional stress (knowing Tata).

Quote:
Earlier I was planning to modify the existing suspension with stiffer coils and dampers
Where will you find a set for the Manza?
Old 4th April 2011, 23:59   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Which product / brand was it? How much had you paid? Installed from where?
I do not remember the exact details, but it was a local make.
Installed from a shop from where I upgraded the tyres (Punjab tyres, sector - 22, to be precise). Cost was not much, it was in range of Rs. 700-1000.

How much did this cost?
Old 5th April 2011, 09:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

So now that we are going to wait for future reports.
I just wanted to know when off on a highway trip, whats the recommended tyre pressure?
Please help for following conditions.
1. Better fuel efficiency
2. Better speed breaker tackling ability.
Sorry for going off topic.
But this would greatly help till the coil spring adjusters update.
Thanks.
Old 5th April 2011, 09:25   #53
Senior - BHPian

Darryl called after I left him a message, he explained exactly what GTO mentioned in the opening post. He did mention that this product dampens sound and road noise as well.
He's just a manufacturer, we can get it installed at either Milestone or Automech.

I have booked an appointment with Ferdie from Milestone and will be getting this done on Saturday. It will cost INR 4500 for a set of 4 inclusive of fitting and labour charges.

Planning to go for 1" autorunner. My car is running on tired and saggy 5 year old spring, will post before and after pics soon.

Cheers
Old 5th April 2011, 09:47   #54
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I'm surprised that it hasn't made the ride stiffer at low speed. I would have expected that.
Mpower, think about it : I've only installed the AutoRunner at the rear. Perhaps, that is why there is no noticeable loss in ride? However, those that get the front as well as rear treated will definitely end up with a stiffer ride.

Added this point to the "What you won't like" in the opening post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitBahl View Post
How much did this cost?
2.xx K for the rear, 4.xx K for front & rear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I just wanted to know when off on a highway trip
Please search; there are dedicated threads for each of your questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
He did mention that this product dampens sound and road noise as well.
I'm still NOT buying that.

Quote:
Planning to go for 1" autorunner.
Don't go over 1", whatever he says. And I still recommend you to get only your rear end treated. After 80 kms of driving, I'm very happy with my decision.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:57   #55
BHPian

Quote:
If you read my Manza review, I had complained about excessive vertical movement (just like the Civics). These adjusters have made the rear sit flatter. However, I'm not too sure how good the quality of springs in the Manza is, and whether they can cope with the additional stress (knowing Tata).
With my limited knowledge, so far I have not heard of any car's springs getting cracked under normal usage. So I tend to agree with you that these are over-engineered. I am assuming (rather hoping) that it should not be an issue. Worst case, if something goes wrong, I need to remove the adjusters and go to TASS for warranty claim. But I can't take the risk of spring getting cracked when I am on highway. Any pointers on how much additional load it's going to put on spring if used just below the middle coil of spring? My car is usually not loaded much.

Quote:
Where will you find a set for the Manza?
Obviously, no one makes any bolt-on stuff for Tata's. I was planning to open up the springs and dampers (rear only) at a friendly tuner and then match the size manually to the available stiffer one's. I know this is more like hit and trial and that's more the reason I am leaning towards to the Auto Runner coil spring adjuster.

Will wait for further updates from you on this. Thanks much in advance!

Last edited by amit1234singla : 5th April 2011 at 11:13. Reason: Removing typo
Old 5th April 2011, 11:03   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm still NOT buying that.
@GTO, what possibly happens is, since the adjuster is hugging the spring, it may cancel lateral vibrations and bring down some amount of sound (just a theory).
I also tend to think that the point (on the spring)where the adjuster ends on both sides will take 'pointed' load (which otherwise spreads through the spring longitudinally) which tends to 'shear' at that point. Of course shearing may not happen because of 'factor of safety' built in to these.
But from engineering perspective, it is not a very good design.

Last edited by Guna : 5th April 2011 at 11:12.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Does it matter where you insert these vertically? It might not increase stiffness if placed at the bottom of the coil.
Old 5th April 2011, 11:20   #58
Team-BHP Support

I am going to wait for your report after 10,000 kms at least before I recommend this to friends. Sounds like a working product.

1self, camber cannot be corrected in modern cars.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:44   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Shouldn't there be forces acting in that one inch exposed arc of the coil between the ends of the Autorunner rubber? To me it seems rubber length should be more than the circumference of the coil so that no part of the coil is subjected to forces or rather torque.

Or it could be my idle brain playing games
Yes there would be shear forces acting in the exposed section due to the resistence offered by rubber during compression. Spring steel is very strong and hopefuly will be able to tolerate the sheer and i am sure manufacturer will have also taken this into design consideration.

Overlap of rubber would surely avoid this stress but the way coil seat is designed it may cause issues (rubber on rubber compression).
Old 5th April 2011, 13:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mpower, think about it : I've only installed the AutoRunner at the rear. Perhaps, that is why there is no noticeable loss in ride? However, those that get the front as well as rear treated will definitely end up with a stiffer ride.

Don't go over 1", whatever he says. And I still recommend you to get only your rear end treated. After 80 kms of driving, I'm very happy with my decision.
That could be the reason why you feel your ride is not stiff.
Yes, I am sticking with 1" but since this thing costs so less I will install it at the front as well, and if the ride gets overtly stiff, I will remove it.

The other day I had a chance to drive my friends Figo loaded with 5 passengers and the way the car rides and handles potholes left me amazed. Its anyday better than our 14L Civics. Shame!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks