Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2011, 20:11   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Front Suspension failure in Chevy Beat!

rangrax sad to read about the incident.This could have happened to anyone on a new Beat for no fault of hers/his.
Its good that you were within the city limits and were moving at an average speed. The fact is that it is a manufacturing defect and GM should realise that they are putting lives of their customers in peril.
I hope there is a recall and the defective parts and design rectified.
Old 13th April 2011, 20:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Lukewarm response from GM is real bad stuff. Holidays should not be a reason for prolonging analysis and repairs. The top brass should have stayed on for proper corrections. Further what are they going to do with the bend arm by thinking of replacing the ball joint ?

The median and the slow speed has in fact protected both of you or else any injury to third party would have put you in a spot of bother.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th April 2011 at 20:29.
Old 13th April 2011, 21:24   #18
BHPian

Anjan, the accident took place around 40 kms away from Chennai.

Rajeev, I believe the arm was bent after the ball joint failure, probably when it has hit the road.

Let me post here the mail written to GM. (Mods: I think this is permitted here. If not, please remove this part)

To: gmi.cac@gm.com
Cc:
Date: 04/12/2011 08:40 AM
Subject: Life threat issue need your response immediately

Sir,

Yesterday evening when returning from office in my new beat, around 4.40 PM, I was subjected to the shock of my life. I was doing 30 kmph in a low traffic infested zone about 2 kms away from office. Suddenly I heard a huge thud. The car was pulled to the right massively and hit the median, which was luckily there. Then the rear was pulled to the left and the vehicle tilted 90 degrees, all the while scraping the median with the front bumper.
It came to halt blocking the road. When I got down to inspect, I found the front right wheel has turned 90 degrees and got jammed in the wheel well. I found this.

The suspension mount link has fractured.

A new vehicle, which is 5 months old and run for 8700 kms, has met with this kind of failure. Me and my friend who was travelling with me yesterday have miraculously escaped yesterday. It sends me jitters when I think in this very vehicle we were doing 120 kmph in the morning. Had this failure occured during such a speed, I would not be alive at all. I have totally lost confidence in your product. Previously it was spark plug failure at 400 kms. I restored some faith by this time on your vehicle but now I am scary to think of taking it for a drive once again.

Then I tried calling the insurance agent in their toll free number, which was never reachable. It is engaged even now.

The most irritating experience came from your dealer, Sundaram Motors, Mount road, Chennai.

When I was calling them to record this incident, I was told they are sending the towing vehicle. Note here, only a towing vehicle, not road side assistance.

That vehicle, after more than 10 phone calls, reached after 3 hours, at 7.30 PM. This accident took place at Thiruvallur, 40 kms from Chennai. I had to pay INR 3700.00 for the driver, whom refused to tow if I am not paying. I did not have money. Imagine after thereatened to death and stranded in the road for 3 hours, some body comes and demands money to tow your vehicle. I expected a pay later option, if not free towing service from your dealer.

What really pissed me off was, once the towing van arrived, I called the dealer to inform that. He asked me when would the towing van would reach their showroom. I got irritated and asked why he asks that. He said their workshop is closed at 9 PM afterwhich they would not allow any vehicle inside. I thought as a customer I deserve a little respect and treatment.

If permitted, I would post the response from GM as well.

Last edited by rangarx : 13th April 2011 at 21:53. Reason: Differentiation of communication to the Car manufacturer from original post
Old 13th April 2011, 21:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

I would like to add here the mindset and attitude of the TVS dealership which was also instrumental to pull down curtains on the sales of FIAT cars down south. I still remember two sales guys (nee salesmen) sitting like Peugeot Directors in the pavilion of Peugeot309 car at the Cochin Auto Show many years ago. Therefore it was not at all surprising when these cars vanished from the Indian autoscape.

They may now be wanting to erase beat too.

Last edited by rajeev k : 13th April 2011 at 21:49.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
The most irritating experience came from your dealer, Sundaram Motors, Mount road, Chennai.

When I was calling them to record this incident, I was told they are sending the towing vehicle. Note here, only a towing vehicle, not road side assistance.

That vehicle, after more than 10 phone calls, reached after 3 hours, at 7.30 PM. This accident took place at Thiruvallur, 40 kms from Chennai. I had to pay INR 3700.00 for the driver, whom refused to tow if I am not paying. I did not have money.

He asked me when would the towing van would reach their showroom. I got irritated and asked why he asks that. He said their workshop is closed at 9 PM afterwhich they would not allow any vehicle inside.
Can you please PM me the name of the person you interacted with at TVS Sundaram Motors. I brought Beat from them last month only and pulled them for some mismanagement on their part.

I am also experiencing left pulling on my car. I'll also talk to them and remind them of your incidence. This may make them realize that the word has spread about their behaviour. Also, I have some professional connections with TVS group, the dealership guys very well know this.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Wow. I can believe this and you guys are were really lucky. Would hate to imagine what would have happened even at speeds of 60-70

I have a Beat as well and am waiting to inspect the condition tomorrow morning. i am taking it for the 2nd free service on Friday and will make sure it is thoroughly inspected. The tyres, wheels, suspension and steering mechanism and not to mention brakes are some basic things that should never fail, as these can or will be fatal at above or even average speeds. I got the delivery of this car in September last year, so it is of an earlier batch.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

Just one query:
8700 kms in 5 months!!!

What was this car being used for??

Good for you that it happened at low speed. And yes, try to get it all covered by GM itself.
Old 13th April 2011, 23:58   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live
DTL: My friend made couple of trips to and fro his native, 600+ kms apart. Apart from this, his occasional, say 10 times a month, office commute.

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th April 2011 at 04:47. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 14th April 2011, 00:15   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

All I can say is that I've stared and shaken my head in disbelief at that wishbone with its steering knuckle sheared off. Wondering if the wishbone is a component manufactured by GM in-house or procured from a highly unreliable vendor. Time for a recall of some Beats, I should expect. Till such time the Beat doesn't get my approval / recommendation to friends, for them to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Just one query:
8700 kms in 5 months!!!
@download2live: That's not a lot of miles - hardly 1800 km/month or 21.5k km/annum. Taxicabs run 60-80k km/annum and don't fall apart like that.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

This is clearly an example of quality degradation in the components used in the current gen of cars.

Heck, GM should replace everything FOC. Keep them on their toes. I am not sure if a lil' bit of negative publicity would worry GM one bit.

Just to make the case more clear, are you guys sure that there was no major impact on the wheels of late? (like going over a pothole at high speeds) Whom am I kidding, even if there was any, it should not have fallen apart like this.
Old 14th April 2011, 09:36   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Just to make the case more clear, are you guys sure that there was no major impact on the wheels of late? (like going over a pothole at high speeds) Whom am I kidding, even if there was any, it should not have fallen apart like this.
Very sure about it, no potholing / huge umpact on this wheel or in any wheel of this car for that matter.

A carefully cherished piece of machinery this one.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangarx View Post
Very sure about it, no potholing / huge umpact on this wheel or in any wheel of this car for that matter.

A carefully cherished piece of machinery this one.
rangarx I believe you and your friend (the owner of the Beat) can approach the local media and give them a piece of your mind for them to publicise. The pictures will do all the talking.
Adverse publicity will rattle the company and their dealer.
Old 14th April 2011, 17:39   #28
BHPian

Anjan:

Yes, that is what he has planned if nothing happens tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow morning is the deadline committed by GM officials.
Old 15th April 2011, 01:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Cruze steering wheel comes off at high speed. Watch VIDEO HERE

2,500 Chevy Cruze sedans recalled for "improperly fastened" steering wheels — Autoblog

Last edited by Mpower : 15th April 2011 at 01:31.
Old 15th April 2011, 02:05   #30
Senior - BHPian

Great Find Mpower!
We can only try and push Chevy India to investigate what happened to this beat.
I seriously doubt they will recall other cars from this batch even if it is only to inspect them.
The link to the video on your post is broken.
Here is a working link.
How About That Crazy Cruze Steering Wheel Video? | The Truth About Cars

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks