Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2011, 22:40   #1
BANNED

About the Matador F-305 engine

hi friends, at one time bajaj had come out with the f 305 engine in the matador and it was quite popular with people using it in jeeps and ambassador cars.ultimately it gave way to the 307 engine.it used to have a starting problem which i feel was the reason for its failure.can any body explain the reasons for this and any remedy for the problem,because i have a 305 engine lying with me and i plan to overhaul it and put it in a jeep.
regards,
Old 15th April 2011, 22:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: About the Matador F-305 engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hps aulakh View Post
hi friends, at one time bajaj had come out with the f 305 engine in the matador and it was quite popular with people using it in jeeps and ambassador cars.ultimately it gave way to the 307 engine.it used to have a starting problem which i feel was the reason for its failure.can any body explain the reasons for this and any remedy for the problem,because i have a 305 engine lying with me and i plan to overhaul it and put it in a jeep.
regards,
Hi, It was a very good reliable engine, I had it in my matador pickup in 1979 till 1984.
I did about 140000 kms on it without even adjusting tapets, only I was doing engine oil and filter replacements relgiously at exact kms gap of 3500kms.
I never had starting problems as you mentioined, any way try to find out if the parts are easily available? It is bygone era vehicle.

You may find parts in Aurangabad city as there are few Matadors still running.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 22:56   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe the F305 was replaced later on in the early 1980's with the Mercedes Benz OM 616 that powered the Matadors for more than a decade and later on the Tempo Traveller and Trax's/Gurkha and so on.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2011, 23:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I believe the F305 was replaced later on in the early 1980's with the Mercedes Benz OM 616 that powered the Matadors for more than a decade and later on the Tempo Traveller and Trax's/Gurkha and so on.
Mercedez engines only powered 6 wheeler Matadors which were total failure tempo, very few were made.
Old 18th April 2011, 18:50   #5
BHPian

Re: About the Matador F-305 engine

Hi,
I have used F305 engines in my ambassador for more than 12 years.That too its an engine which has done more the 2,50,000 Kms.

My friends and some of my relatives still using the same engine in Ambassador,It was a very fine engine.Starting problems will only creep up in the engines which was not maintained and done more than 1.5 lakhs kms.

If you overhaul,Surely you will not face the starting troubles.My uncle fitted A/C, power steering for it and still it was a trouble free engine.

Almost more then 80% of the Ambassadors has fitted this engines.First Engine change was done by CAG,coimbatore.They are the first to replace the petrol to diesel engines. (F305 engines).
dmaheshkumar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2011, 15:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Mercedez engines only powered 6 wheeler Matadors which were total failure tempo, very few were made.
Your statement is factually incorrect. OM 616 also powered four-wheeled Matadors (both passenger and goods versions). Matador's designation changed from F-305 to F-307 as a result of higher HP (70 instead of 50) of the OM Engine.

Last edited by directinjection : 19th April 2011 at 15:37.
directinjection is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 23:32   #7
BANNED

can any body give the specifications for both the f305 and the om616 engines including their weight.
Old 24th April 2011, 20:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can any body give the specifications for both the f305 and the om616 engines including their weight.
Matador F-307 ads used to mention OM 616's weight as 182 KGs.
Old 24th April 2011, 23:30   #9
BANNED

i dont know about F307, but F305 is an good one, in my previous ambassadors, it did its job well, with not much harsh noise like jeep, and value for money. simple and robust engine. with great load bearing power. No wonder most ambassadors still running on it. if this engine is non existent, then amby would have dead earlier with petrol engines.
Old 25th April 2011, 20:49   #10
BANNED

need to know the the bore and stroke with torque and the cubic capacity of both the engines.
Old 25th April 2011, 21:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
regards,
My family owned a Mk1 Amby with this engine. Power was super weak but engine was bulletproof. I remember its required lots of heating for starting. We had a coil on the dash and you're supposed to start after its glowing orange.
Old 26th April 2011, 08:24   #12
Senior - BHPian

One interesting observation when I travelled in a Matador van: this engine had erratic idling. When the engine is idling, it's RPM (me thinks) is so low that it feels like it's going to stop but then it continues to idle. Anyone has a technical explanation for this occurence? I'm just curious because the recent Force Traveller engine does not have that erratic idle. The idle RPM is steady. By the way I'm talking about an engine that technically has no problems; it's just the way it has been set up.
Old 26th April 2011, 17:11   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
need to know the the bore and stroke with torque and the cubic capacity of both the engines.
F-305 engine measured 1800 CC and was designated as D301E2. There is a Matador/Hanomag fan's club in Germany from where you can get info about the engine, including the workshop manual. Here's the link:

Google Translate

Engine of F-307 measured 2400 CC. It was a famous engine that powered many models of Merc. So its specs are much easier to get. Try this link:

Mercedes-Benz OM616 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 2nd May 2011, 20:12   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
One interesting observation when I travelled in a Matador van: this engine had erratic idling. When the engine is idling, it's RPM (me thinks) is so low that it feels like it's going to stop but then it continues to idle. Anyone has a technical explanation for this occurence? I'm just curious because the recent Force Traveller engine does not have that erratic idle. The idle RPM is steady. By the way I'm talking about an engine that technically has no problems; it's just the way it has been set up.
this erratic idling was due to the fuel injection pump of the diaphragm type which worked on the vaccum principle.there was a venturi pipe from the throttle rack to the inlet manifold.on accelatoring the suction from the manifold pulled the diaphragm which in turn pulled the rack to increase the rpm.this erratic idling was mainly due to the improper adjustment of the diaphragm.this pump was supplied in mercedes cars,perkin and leyland engines and ford tractors.later it was replaced with mechanical governer pumps.there used to be rotary pumps also which were less noisy and more stable.now they have all given way to the common rail systems.
hps aulakh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 14:51   #15
BHPian

@hps: The diaphram is not seen in many vehicles.If you have AC fitted to that engine,we can use this diaphram to raise the RPM.But there are many matador engines without this option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks