Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 15:19   #76
Team-BHP Support

re: Volvo S60 T6 (2nd-gen) : Test Drive & Review

How good are these 4WD performance saloons (Eg: Superb, A4, S60, Evo) in slushy or sandy conditions? That is, are the 4WD systems capable enough to get the car across a big patch of slush on the road without getting stuck?

Also, from what I know, 4WD systems in performance saloons enhance grip in corners. But is there a reason why Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari/Aston etc do not make too many 4WD sportscars?

Last edited by SmartCat : 14th May 2011 at 15:21.
Old 14th May 2011, 22:07   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhay_D View Post
It would be interesting to see how they will position this car in India.
How about 'Not your soccer grandmom's Volvo'?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th May 2011, 13:25   #78
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
How good are these 4WD performance saloons (Eg: Superb, A4, S60, Evo) in slushy or sandy conditions? That is, are the 4WD systems capable enough to get the car across a big patch of slush on the road without getting stuck?

Also, from what I know, 4WD systems in performance saloons enhance grip in corners. But is there a reason why Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari/Aston etc do not make too many 4WD sportscars?
Traction, traction, traction. These cars generate an enormous amount of BHP & torque. Splitting that up between the front & rear greatly enhances the overall poise. The gain in sheer grip levels is tremendous. Also, AWD cars don't oversteer (though some of us like oversteer'ing cars) or swing their tail out as easily. Acceleration from 0 kph is also quicker as power is transferred through 4 contact patches. Of course, the advantage in slippery conditions (e.g. monsoons) is even more. That's precisely the reason nearly all rally cars are AWD (including the street-spec EVO & Scoobys).

BUT I must add, I've yet to drive an AWD car that offers brilliant steering feedback. Neither the EVO X nor the S60 left me impressed in that area. AWD cars are heavier too.

Most sports cars marques - including Ferrari, Lamborghini & Porsche - now offer AWD cars. Though, if first hand experiences are anything to go by - the RWD siblings are more fun to drive (even if they are slower on a lap).

WRT your other question, I'm sure they can manage slush or mild sand...as long as it isn't too deep. Remember, these are sedans at the end of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
How about 'Not your soccer grandmom's Volvo'?
Old 23rd May 2011, 22:57   #79
BHPian

What a wonderful comprehensive review. GTO's gone all out on this one. Kudos to Stratos for the award winning pics.

I think the car is absolutely MURDEROUS. Looks so aggressive yet equally poised like a luxury yacht. Somewhere inside, I decided from all the premium cars sold in the country, a volvo's what appeals to me first. Possibly cause they're sort of rare to come by. Unlike bmw's and audi's.
Old 29th May 2011, 12:43   #80
BHPian

>>>

Another terrific review.

An excellent drivers' car, but does it have the same steering/cornering ability of the naturally aspirated N52B30 engined in line six 330i?

Admittedly the older hydraulic steering in the Bimmer is harder to steer in slow moving city traffic and the mid range is weak, but does the S60 bring the same smile as the 330i does on fast sweeping roads?

I do hope Bimmer introduces the 335i in India soon with the turbo-ed N54B30 for hard core driverheads.

Regards
Old 30th May 2011, 15:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Traction, traction, traction. These cars generate an enormous amount of BHP & torque. Splitting that up between the front & rear greatly enhances the overall poise. The gain in sheer grip levels is tremendous. Also, AWD cars don't oversteer (though some of us like oversteer'ing cars) or swing their tail out as easily. Acceleration from 0 kph is also quicker as power is transferred through 4 contact patches. Of course, the advantage in slippery conditions (e.g. monsoons) is even more. That's precisely the reason nearly all rally cars are AWD (including the street-spec EVO & Scoobys).

BUT I must add, I've yet to drive an AWD car that offers brilliant steering feedback. Neither the EVO X nor the S60 left me impressed in that area. AWD cars are heavier too.

Most sports cars marques - including Ferrari, Lamborghini & Porsche - now offer AWD cars. Though, if first hand experiences are anything to go by - the RWD siblings are more fun to drive (even if they are slower on a lap).

And here is a video to endorse this (though slightly OT)

mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2011, 16:58   #82
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
but does it have the same steering/cornering ability of the naturally aspirated N52B30 engined in line six 330i?
Steering, NO. Cornering ability & grip, YES.

Quote:
but does the S60 bring the same smile as the 330i does on fast sweeping roads?
Surprisingly, YES.

Quote:
I do hope Bimmer introduces the 335i in India soon with the turbo-ed N54B30 for hard core driverheads.
Well, you have the 535i . Considering the poor sales of the 330i, I doubt a 335i is coming our way anytime soon. I'd be happier with a

330d
335d. Nearly 600 Nm of torque!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
And here is a video to endorse this (though slightly OT)
Nice vid, it's a classic.
Old 15th November 2011, 01:48   #83
Senior - BHPian

This could very well be my next car but are there any Volvo owners here who can vouch for their A.S.S ?

Good reviews about the car everywhere. And where all do they have dealerships currently down south ?
Old 15th November 2011, 02:09   #84
Team-BHP Support

This is a brilliant alternative to the German trio.

A fast, powerful, comfortable executive entry-level luxury sedan @ 40 lakhs is just what the confused bloke at the Mercedes showroom would want. However, as I read the review, I've realized that this car is probably not ready for the Indian market just yet. Why? Well:

- When 95% of the people in India spend anything more than 30 lakhs on a car, they WILL expect the rear-seat to be brilliant, in terms of space and comfort. This is something that the S60 fails to deliver.

- BMW, Audi and Mercedes, over the years, have built a brand-name and are known to be the first and last options for luxury-car buyers. So when Volvo comes in and tries to beat them at their own game, it's going to be hard.

- As I've mentioned above, the German big-wigs are well established. They have good service-networks and dealerships all across the country. Volvo, are yet to establish themselves, and it will take them time!

I have seen a few S60s around. And I only hope more of them are sold. But Volvo needs to improve their after-sales-service if they want a slice of the luxury-car pie. It's as simple as that.

Great review, Rush. As always!
Old 15th November 2011, 18:21   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is a brilliant alternative to the German trio.

A fast, powerful, comfortable executive entry-level luxury sedan @ 40 lakhs is just what the confused bloke at the Mercedes showroom would want. However, as I read the review, I've realized that this car is probably not ready for the Indian market just yet. Why? Well:
I checked out the S60 just before buying the 3. And it was a terrible experience. The dealer showroom hadn't opened so they called us to the backyard of a Honda dealership for the TD. Didn't even bring the car out front knowing we were reaching there. The TD was literally 10 min and I couldn't take it on the main roads because it wasn't registered. In the course of that TD the nose scraped speedbreakers twice inspite of me being extra careful.

Now more about the car, the diesel engine was nice and torquey and the transmission was good too. The interiors didn't feel as premium as the others, this was my dads comment the moment he entered the car. The front seats are by far the best seats in the segment. Also The car is 2.5l more than the C250cdi Avantgarde, with the prices going up more if you add more options like rear view camera etc.

Now after the crappy TD we asked the sales guy what discount they would offer. The answer is 0. Even after Merc is offering good deals on the 3 year maintenance and all with a brand new product (The C class) Volvo (Or rather Navnit motors) thinks it has some sort of niche for itself. I asked the chap that since they were selling only 6-8 cars a month why no discounts. His answer was that Volvo was for someone who wanted to be different, and that they were selling all the imports they were making. I just wished him best of luck and walked out with my dad.

I really hope Navnit bucks up on the sales experience first. No surprise I've seen literally 5 Volvos on the road in the past few months. I've seen as many Lamborghinis
Old 24th February 2012, 10:19   #86
BHPian

I just saw a Volvo S60 ad in today's TOI, stating special introductory price of 23.2 lacs for the D3 Diesel. Offer upto 15th March.

Too good to be true ? Looks like the Bimmers, Audi's, Mercs and VW's are going to have a tough time with this move of Volvo.

Am I missing out something ?
Old 24th February 2012, 10:43   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Am I missing out something ?
Dealers
A spare wheel
Unknown brand leading to poor resale
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 11:58   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Dealers
A spare wheel
Unknown brand leading to poor resale
But isn't Volvo supposed to offer the best in class safety features. Keeping aside dealers, considering the features at that pricepoint, isn't it too mouthwatering a price. Not that I intend to buy it sometime soon, but just keeping myself updated of the trends.
Old 24th February 2012, 12:13   #89
Team-BHP Support

Between the 70's and 80's - Volvo and Saab ruled the roost on safety features. Mercedes were also as good but they cost a lot more! Come the 90's, VW, Audi upped their game and Mercedes and BmW became more accessible in terms of price

Add to this increased safety legislation, insurance ratings, NCAP car tests being used as a selling point, safety merely become a given expected feature.

An example, Renaults which used to be tinny boxes are now very strongly rated in terms of safely
Old 24th February 2012, 14:52   #90
Senior - BHPian

Lovely review.
Lovely vehicle.
That AWD version must be superb.

I wish I had also got Electrically operated Lumbar Support in the Yeti!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks