Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 20:19   #31
BHPian

Re: How to train your Dragon – Maximizing your Mahindra Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
May also believe that the stock ICE is garbage. My biggest concern is losing the steering mounted controls which I will be least willing to sacrifice.
The stock ICE has flat audio quality but can be made okay by playing with the controls a bit. My piece was delivered with all the bass, treble and bvol settings at max.

I have enquired with Audio Planet in Bangalore and they say it is possible to retain the functionality of the steering mounted controls by using an adaptor even after changing the HU.
moinakg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 03:44   #32
BHPian

Hello people, it's been a while since I have updated this thread and I apologise for having been away. Actually I still am but since I have net connectivity on my cell phone I will put that to good use and give you'll a reasonable update in a day or two.
I refuel after every 400 kms or so on the highway and calculate the average by the time I leave the bunk hence I am able to share the details here.
Have had a few minor niggles and all were sorted while I was back home between February and March. Fortunately not had anything major (read as clutch slave cylinder) go wrong as yet.
The vehicle is hovering close to the 25,000 km Mark it will see light action until my return in November after which she should embark on an epic journey and all going well may cover all four corners of India in a little over 2 years of ownership.
Old 17th June 2012, 19:56   #33
BHPian

As promised am giving an update.
Firstly let me state that my cars are well taken care of but as I spend the bulk of my time out at sea giving a bit by bit account like the Togo channel is not going to be possible. That said I will keep updating this at least once in 6 months and will share any major developments that occur.
So I was out at sea from July 2011 to February 2012. Was home for about 7 weeks and was out by the end of March. Thanks to a host of issues I will be back in November. Hence there won't be any updates until then.
For a man who loves to travel (by road) spending 6 months at sea is quite challenging.
I flew in from Lome, Togo at 4 in the morning and the lack of sleep did not matter, bags were repacked and we were off to Shirdi. It's an annual thing we do and I was just itching to drive. Snow handled beautifully and all went well. First night in India and I was spending it in Shirdi, man that was a first.
Next day we covered two other Ashtavinayak temples that we had not seen and returned via Pune.
The very next weekend we made it to the Pavna Dam meet and met up with quite a few bhpians.
There were a few more short road trips around Bombay but my time was limited and there were a lot of pending matters that needed my attention at home hence, we (Snow and I) were not able to spend as much time together.
Despite the time constraint we did manage a week long trip that covered Ajanta, Ellora, Daulatabad, Lonar and a team bhp softroading trip at Rajmachi.
That's where Snow met another beautiful 4x4 Samaraa. (Siddesh's Endeavour) that takes the female 4x4 head count to 2.
It was softroading and the Scorpio handled beautifully. I wish I could post a link to thread here but I am not sure how to go about doing it in the bhp app that I am using.
There were a few issues that needed attention and she had just exceeded 20,000 kms after Rajmachi so it was time to hit the service station. Little did I know that it would take 3 visits to get her back in shape.
Issues prior servicing.
1) central locking remotes were locking the car just fine but the unlock button was not working on both, rather it would work erratically and the problem with that is that you can't crank the car unless you use the remote to unlock it. So I had stopped using the remote all together and was doing it the manual way. The cranking issue only crops up if you have used the remote to lock the car.
2) the left hand side rear view mirror would vibrate a bit at idle but it was not enough to warrant a replacement. To my good luck the mercury coating went black and the mirror was changed at my house. The guy who did the mirror change was not able to fit the (gaudy complimentary) chrome turn indicator so I had decided to keep it at home and get it fitted at the next service. Post replacement the vibration had stopped.
3) the right hand side rear door power window motor had packed up
Other than these three issues everything was working great.
So the regular 20,000 km servicing was done and these issues were sorted, or so I thought.
The rear view mirror vibration was back and I realised that in the process of fixing the turn indicator they open the mirror assembly and thats what buggers it up. I let that pass, it was futile pursuing it so no use wasting time and energy.
Within a week the central locking issue cropped up again and I was firing them left right and centre.
The car had to spend 2 days at the service centre just for this.
After I got her back we were off for a work related trip to Katraj, Pune and I realised the cruise control which had worked just fine a week ago had packed up. Another surprise was to find that the cap for the light and rain sensor (located above the inside rear view mirror) was missing. It was there a week ago.
Another round of haggling followed and I had to leave during that time but the car spent another 2 days at the service centre and was returned with all problems resolved. I did have to pay for the sensor cover since it was about 250 bucks I figured I should not loose my head over it.

There's just one other matter:
I am not too happy with the corrosion that's setting in on the metal frame work of the front bumper noticed it just before joining. Will remove it and treat it myself once I am back. Some sand paper and primer will do the trick.
All of this has been composed on a cellphone so please forgive me for the errors and lack of presentation.

How to train your Dragon – Maximizing your Mahindra Scorpio.-image1371835438.jpg

Missing Sensor cover

How to train your Dragon – Maximizing your Mahindra Scorpio.-image707122665.jpg

Minor corrosion to bumper reinforcement frame work

How to train your Dragon – Maximizing your Mahindra Scorpio.-image2428336287.jpg

A poser shot on a steep slope at Lonar

How to train your Dragon – Maximizing your Mahindra Scorpio.-image781077987.jpg

Another shot with parents an Snow, this gives a better perspective of the incline. The incline we are doing thus photo op on is as steep as the one behind it.
Old 29th October 2012, 17:38   #34
BHPian

Off Roadie,

Thanks a lot for a great review. I never used to like SCORPIO and I was hardcore Safari fan. When I had sell of my Punto I have been waiting for the Safari Storme launch. While waiting for the safari launch i started going through the Scorpio ownership threads and your review was just fabulous. Later I took test drives of Safari, Scorpio, Quanto, Duster and finalised on Scorp as i found two important things. One the ride in the front seat was almost on par with Safari and the resale value is good too.

Finally i ended up booking a SCORRPIO, changed my SLE booking to VLX with Air bags though I know the owning a Mahindra with somany electronics/electricals is not a great idea.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 31st October 2012 at 08:21. Reason: Removed font tags from post.
BMW-X5 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 18:40   #35
BHPian

Wow your trips are really something, looks like you are maximizing your Scorpio really well. The sensor cover falling off and the glove box getting displaced is a common problem but still these can be easily fixed.
Old 31st October 2012, 04:22   #36
BHPian

@BMW-X5
Thanks, for your compliment. Glad that my review helped. I think the SLE is the pick of the lot but it's good to know that you have made an informed decision, in going fir the VLX. Enjoy your ride
@Jetblast
Hold on buddy the best is yet to come. In 18 months of ownership I have been away for 13 and injured for 2. The fun should start next month, once back on land.
Old 31st October 2012, 14:32   #37
BHPian

Finally my car has arrived, it is in the dealers yard. I got stuck here in Blore for another week, and expecting a better Diwali offer . I know it is a risk to leave the vehicle in the dealer's yard for more than a week. I have given strict instruction to the even not wash the car before I see it. As I have already escalated to Mahindra and the regional manger for kerala is was frequently in touch with me and the dealer hope they will not mess it.
Old 31st October 2012, 19:21   #38
BHPian

That is good news indeed. Wish you a smooth PDI. Will look forward to your prepurchase and initial ownership report. All the best.
Old 31st October 2012, 22:34   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-X5 View Post
Finally my car has arrived, it is in the dealers yard.
Please make it a point to do a very detailed PDI, give it a proper ramp check, AND drive the vehicle at the yard and around it before you sign the dotted line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks