Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2011, 22:40   #91
Senior - BHPian

How much time it took Skoda to procure the part and were you able to drive the car in the mean time ? I guess Skoda Shield and Bajaj Allianz 0 percent dep pays for taxi in the meanwhile ?
Old 23rd August 2011, 10:38   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Symptoms, was plain and simple. The needle in the fuel gauge just dropped to E and refused to jump, even with a full tank. I must admit Skoda was very effective in solving this. Thumbs up to them for this. Skoda Aurangabad called me informing that the part reached JMD Kandivali, booked an appointment and the part was changed and all technicalities of the fuel pump was explained to me. So, I would rate my 1st experience of JMD Kandivali as good. Hope the subsequent ones, don't change my opinion about them. Received an analysis from Aurangabad, saying that it was probably the quality of fuel. I am not buying this and I am sure the pump was faulty. I always fill premium fuel from a reputed pump, and I am continuing to do so. As a precaution, I am using the following 2 measures while filling fuel. (a) Don't wait for the tank to be completely empty. Fill it at 50% levels. (b) Don't fill fuel till the brim. Stop it at the first click by the nozzle.

Try using normal unleaded petrol. I was advised by my dealer to use only normal unleaded rather than premium fuels which contain additives. In fact some manufacturers advise against filling up additive mixed petrol. I generally tank up Shell unleaded only when I am in the city. In case shell is unavailable esp when I am out of town, I go with normal unleaded from the PSUs.

Good to see Skoda and their dealer were proactive in fixing the issue. I believe your car was grounded till the pump was replaced. Did they provide you with an alternative car in the meantime?
Old 23rd August 2011, 11:10   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Symptoms, was plain and simple. The needle in the fuel gauge just dropped to E and refused to jump, even with a full tank. I must admit Skoda was very effective in solving this.
Cedricsg, my Laura has a similar issue with the Fuel gauge. After a top up it fails to detect fuel, but my car runs normal. The needle stays put on 'E', although intermittent this problem is attributed to the fuel sender unit in the fuel tank. Diagnosed using VAG-COM. I don't think that the Fuel gauge not sensing fuel has anything to do with the fuel pump.

Quote:
Don't fill fuel till the brim. Stop it at the first click by the nozzle.
Not sure how this would help.
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:18   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Cedricsg, my Laura has a similar issue with the Fuel gauge. After a top up it fails to detect fuel, but my car runs normal. The needle stays put on 'E', although intermittent this problem is attributed to the fuel sender unit in the fuel tank. Diagnosed using VAG-COM. I don't think that the Fuel gauge not sensing fuel has anything to do with the fuel pump.
Is this an issue with the fuel quality? I remember seeing discussions earlier that the whole TSI range from VW group is not reaching Indian shores because of the uncertainty on how they will perform with the quality of fuel we have. It will be great if cedricsg can get hold of the actual root cause from Skoda and share it in the forum. It will be of great value. Thank you!
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:14   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Is this an issue with the fuel quality? I remember seeing discussions earlier that the whole TSI range from VW group is not reaching Indian shores because of the uncertainty on how they will perform with the quality of fuel we have. It will be great if cedricsg can get hold of the actual root cause from Skoda and share it in the forum. It will be of great value. Thank you!
Luky_13 has a diesel

I don't think any other TSI owner (Laura/ Superb) on the forum has had this problem.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:18   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Luky_13 has a diesel

I don't think any other TSI owner (Laura/ Superb) on the forum has had this problem.
Thanks Santosh for the correction. I wrongly quoted Luky instead of cedricsg

I like the VW TSI's and hence the question. Happy to hear that this is not a common occurence.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:37   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
How much time it took Skoda to procure the part and were you able to drive the car in the mean time ? I guess Skoda Shield and Bajaj Allianz 0 percent dep pays for taxi in the meanwhile ?
The part was obtained in 5 days. I am not too aware of the taxi part.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:38   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Good to see Skoda and their dealer were proactive in fixing the issue. I believe your car was grounded till the pump was replaced. Did they provide you with an alternative car in the meantime?
Santosh, my car was gounded only for a couple of hours. The car was operational in absence of the fuel gauge.
Old 23rd August 2011, 19:42   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Not sure how this would help.
Just following advise, and I agree to some extent. The fuel tank should have some space to ensure inclines and declines are accomodated. Also fuel expands and its best to leave some space. That's probably why the nozzle ticks off.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:46   #100
BHPian

3000 Kms done. Low Oil Level indicator turns on, thanks to the previous threads on this, it set expectation from the start, so the panic was totally avoided. Took the car to JMD and they topped up 1.5 litres of Shell 5W40. Took a 2 litre can as back up, considering this trend would continue till I hit 10000 Kms. Total damage Rs.3500.
Old 12th September 2011, 10:53   #101
BHPian

I have seen this with many 1.8 TSI engines, the other day at a family friends shop who is into lubricants. A driver turned up for oil to top up a petrol Superb, done just 1800 kms. A brand new guzzling oil is not a good sign. My old premier padmini consumed less. Not to mention oil starvation who is not aware enough.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:47   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
they topped up 1.5 litres of Shell 5W40. Took a 2 litre can as back up, considering this trend would continue till I hit 10000 Kms. Total damage Rs.3500.
So Rs.3500 for total 3.5L? That's Rs.1000/L. Mobil 1 is available for Rs.800/L but does not have VW ratings. So Shell is having a blast in the market...This is how cartelization works.
Old 12th September 2011, 15:05   #103
BHPian

^^ I guess VW uses Castrol. What's the price difference between Shell and Castrol?
Old 12th September 2011, 16:10   #104
Senior - BHPian

Castrol is around 950 a litre. Thats what i saw in VW. There is no way to outsourse the oil atleast in the warranty period. Knowing these european manufacturers they may simply void the warranty if they happen to find that one is using oil from outside.

A gentle scam rather
Old 12th September 2011, 16:25   #105
BHPian

Visited giriraj in gurgaon to get oil checked and buy extra oil before embarking on a long journey. While oil level was ok, suggested back up was a measure of oil from some drum, filled in a dirty old bottle. All that the mechanic & SA knew was it was synthetic oil from castrol. Definitely not comfortable buying loose oil and that too from a skoda dealer. Not sure what to do.

Btw, are you guys using VW 504 00 grade oil (unable to find it with any manufacturer) or using VW 502 00, which all dealers seem to be using despite car manual suggesting otherwise for variable service interval cars?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks