Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 13:52   #61
BHPian

Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

My understanding is that the new ECUs on Skoda (BOSCH MED17 for the petrols and BOSCH EDC17 for the diesels) are protected from OBD port remapping using an hash validation based encryption which is yet to be cracked. These ECUs can however be remapped by opening the ECU (open heart) and doing whats known as bench flash which bypasses the OBD protection.

@R.P.M.: Question is does K S Motorsport do a open heart or a remap through OBD port. If through OBD port, to me this is the first such case and as you would imagine a far less intrusive process.
Old 15th June 2011, 14:04   #62
BHPian

AFAIK shark allows you to keep customizing your map depending on the mods that add. Also I read that the map gets aggressive only towards higher RPMs. Anyway still in the initial stage of doing research. Any information to help make my decision easier ??

A friend of mine has a revo remap on his DSG superb. Im waiting for a test drive. Will update soon.
Old 15th June 2011, 15:04   #63
buz
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
With the wiring harness not being there, none of the Skoda dealers want to even attempt the retro fit. I would be pretty surprised, if any of the affected Laura owners come up with an official Skoda retrofit.
Considering the current lot of Ambiente TSIs are coming with fogs, shouldn't people like us be recompensed for it?
Old 15th June 2011, 16:15   #64
BHPian

I think the revo remap is the only one where you can get it done without opening the ECU. The superchips/ shark require the ECU to be sent to them. I was planning to carry it on my next trip to london. Im not keen to let anyone open the ECU as of now.
Old 15th June 2011, 16:24   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
With the wiring harness not being there, none of the Skoda dealers want to even attempt the retro fit. I would be pretty surprised, if any of the affected Laura owners come up with an official Skoda retrofit.
Can't the wiring harness be sourced from Skoda spares bin and fit onto the car? The dealer can order it and get it for you from the company. I can't understand the reluctance on the dealer's part to retrofit the fogs. I remember when we had bought the Corolla 1.8J eight years back, I wanted fogs to be retrofitted since this was the base version and came without fogs. I just could not stand the sight of two black plastic covers covering the area meant for the fogs. Ravindu Toyota did it quite easily when the car went for first service. I am sure since fogs were not standard on the base version, wiring harness etc.,. would also have been absent and Ravindu guys retrofitted the whole assembly. The entire job cost me 17K. This was in 2003. If Toyota dealer could do it, why not Skoda?
Old 17th June 2011, 12:56   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Can't the wiring harness be sourced from Skoda spares bin and fit onto the car? The dealer can order it and get it for you from the company.
You might want to think about that again. I'm an April '11 Tsi Ambiente owner minus fogs. Was informed by TAFE that a replacement wiring harness would cost ~ 3.5 Lakhs (Full harness replacement). No "partial harness" etc available.

So for now I've bought the fog lamps from the dealer & had them fitted without a connection. For hooking up the fogs, I've ordered a 2 way switch from Skoda (the ASR button) & plan to fit this button next to the existing ASR switch to activate the fogs via a direct connection to battery (with necessary cut out etc). Do not plan to fiddle with the stock harness.
Old 17th June 2011, 14:35   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
I think the revo remap is the only one where you can get it done without opening the ECU. The superchips/ shark require the ECU to be sent to them. I was planning to carry it on my next trip to london. Im not keen to let anyone open the ECU as of now.
do you know any revo dealers in delhi?
and have you contacted them?

by the way how is the feel of the remapped superb of your friend? is there a noticable change?

Last edited by varunsonu : 17th June 2011 at 14:36.
Old 17th June 2011, 15:57   #68
BHPian

Great buy Cedric! A question which I think a couple of other Laura TSi owners are waiting to be answered (myself included, being a prospective owner) is where you sourced the wood trim? The TAFE guys in BLR said they cannot do it, and im pretty keen on getting the wood inserts on the car i eventually buy.

Congrats on the decision, hope you enjoy the beast!
Old 17th June 2011, 19:36   #69
BHPian

Thanks Nirav. I got the wood trips done by the dealer itself. Pretty surprising Tafe is refusing to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinganapathy

You might want to think about that again. I'm an April '11 Tsi Ambiente owner minus fogs. Was informed by TAFE that a replacement wiring harness would cost ~ 3.5 Lakhs (Full harness replacement). No "partial harness" etc available.

So for now I've bought the fog lamps from the dealer & had them fitted without a connection. For hooking up the fogs, I've ordered a 2 way switch from Skoda (the ASR button) & plan to fit this button next to the existing ASR switch to activate the fogs via a direct connection to battery (with necessary cut out etc). Do not plan to fiddle with the stock harness.
How much did you pay for the fogs? Also are you getting this workaround done at an A.S.S?

Last edited by Eddy : 18th June 2011 at 13:20. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins. Thanks.
Old 18th June 2011, 12:07   #70
BHPian

Fogs approx 7.5 - 8 K. Trying to get it done by A.S.S but they're reluctant.
Old 19th June 2011, 11:21   #71
BHPian

Finally got the car delivered on Thursday night . Tyres changed to Michelin Primacy LC.

Looking forward to Gurgaon - Manali - Gurgaon trip starting next weekend to get to know my TSI better. Will be careful with speeds though till the car completes 1000 kms. And won't forget to carry a pack of engine oil!
Old 19th June 2011, 13:32   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred
Finally got the car delivered on Thursday night . Tyres changed to Michelin Primacy LC.

Looking forward to Gurgaon - Manali - Gurgaon trip starting next weekend to get to know my TSI better. Will be careful with speeds though till the car completes 1000 kms. And won't forget to carry a pack of engine oil!
Congrats Bloodred. Did you upsize the tyres to 16? Also have you decided on the Stanley grade?
Old 19th June 2011, 13:39   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg

Congrats Bloodred. Did you upsize the tyres to 16? Also have you decided on the Stanley grade?
Thanks cedric. The dealer said change in rims will lead to issues with suspension warranty, hence went along with stock rims. Decision on leather deferred by couple of weeks, will decide after i come back. Most probably will go with nappa or scandanavia.
Old 19th June 2011, 13:43   #74
BHPian

I came across an exciting blue tooth device of Jabra. It's the size ok a Skoda key fob. It's got a 3.5 mm aux jack. Got this connected to the aux in and keeping the device in the arm rest area, I shut the cover. Any calls coming, tap the green on my cell & voila! No wires, no bud jetting out of the 12v socket. Clean & classy!
Old 19th June 2011, 14:24   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg
I came across an exciting blue tooth device of Jabra. It's the size ok a Skoda key fob. It's got a 3.5 mm aux jack. Got this connected to the aux in and keeping the device in the arm rest area, I shut the cover. Any calls coming, tap the green on my cell & voila! No wires, no bud jetting out of the 12v socket. Clean & classy!
Hey, thanks for sharing. Model no and approximate cost please.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks