Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 09:17   #31
BANNED

Re: New Optra Magnum 2.0 LT [Sandrift Grey]

ByDesign -

You don't have to look any further than T-BHP, here is the link on how to Run-In your new car, HTH.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Happy Motoring !!
Old 28th June 2011, 17:08   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo
ByDesign -

You don't have to look any further than T-BHP, here is the link on how to Run-In your new car, HTH.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...r-new-car.html

Happy Motoring !!
Excellent thank you very much for the inputs thus far. Also I'm uploading some pics from my phone. Miles of leg room in the rear! There's plenty in the front too. Please note the front seats haven't been taken forward just to make the rear roomier. I was sitting in the front with my legs decently stretched out, and I'm five foot nine inches.

Torquedo, ill post up the VIN soon. I'm in office at moment.
Attached Images

Old 29th June 2011, 02:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
1) On a cold start, idle the engine for a minute or two and let the engine settle down, this would help oil the turbocharger as well.

2) I would be suggestive of doing what is mentioned above while shutting down the car as well.
This is not specific to the running in period. This is standard practice for all Turbo-diesels for it's whole life, from what I know. And it is not just about a cold start in the morning. It is ideally to be followed on each time the engine is turned on or off. Is quite a pain! If not done, it is supposed to damage the turbo unit.

Thanks for the link Torquedo

IIRC some manufacturers say that the running in is not needed, as it has been taken care of at the factory level in modern cars. However, I would still like to have a running in period even if the manual says it is not needed. It can help a lot and would not harm.
Old 29th June 2011, 09:58   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
It is ideally to be followed on each time the engine is turned on or off. Is quite a pain! If not done, it is supposed to damage the turbo unit.
It is not be followed each time the engine is switched off, this is to be followed when you are switching off the engine finally for the day.

Also, the same needs to be followed for the First time when you crank the engine every morning, applicable to all Turbo Powered Engines, whether it is a Diesel or Petrol.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:18   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
It is not be followed each time the engine is switched off, this is to be followed when you are switching off the engine finally for the day.

Also, the same needs to be followed for the First time when you crank the engine every morning, applicable to all Turbo Powered Engines, whether it is a Diesel or Petrol.
I'm not an expert with Diesels, but if the Gurus may chip in and throw some light on this:

Do we let the engine idle for a minute or two each time that we start and stop the engine or do we do it once every morning and once before closure of play for the day?

This might sound here but I guess it might help all and ByDesign in the longer run.

Fellow T-BHPians - it would be really nice if someone could post a link on how to maintain the turbochargers in Diesel engines.

PS. ByDesign - I have no intentions of hijacking your thread

Last edited by Torquedo : 29th June 2011 at 10:24. Reason: added another line
Old 29th June 2011, 10:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
I'm not an expert with Diesels, but if the Gurus may chip in and throw some light on this:

Do we let the engine idle for a minute or two each time that we start and stop the engine or do we do it once every morning and once before closure of play for the day?
If you read my post carefully, it suggests that the Turbo Powered Engines Diesel / Petrol should be Idled for a minute for the First Cranking in the Morning & Finally Switching OFF the Engine for the day.

This is helpful for the longevity of the Turbo. Hope this clears the doubt.
Old 29th June 2011, 10:35   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi
If you read my post carefully, it suggests that the Turbo Powered Engines Diesel / Petrol should be Idled for a minute for the First Cranking in the Morning & Finally Switching OFF the Engine for the day.

Pardon me Sanjeev, but if I have quoted you, that to me implies that I have gone through your post.

I had posted my question as it is an open forum and had requested other to chip in as well.

Thanks for inputs, the doubt still remains though !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 29th June 2011 at 10:37.
Old 29th June 2011, 13:49   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo

This might sound here but I guess it might help all and ByDesign in the longer run.

Fellow T-BHPians - it would be really nice if someone could post a link on how to maintain the turbochargers in Diesel engines.

PS. ByDesign - I have no intentions of hijacking your thread
*CAUTION CAUTION* This thread has been hijacked!

But on a serious note, I am grateful for this actually. Its not just for me to learn, but for all diesel owners and potential diesel owners. I don't really follow this rule. Well I haven't so far.

I have been told to allow the Turbo to spin down before shutting off the engine for the day, but I can't really make out the Turbo from the AC fan sound. I'm talking about my palio stile MJD here.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:18   #39
BANNED

Another thing that I found out today reading the forums and other related info was:

Never empty a Diesel tank, to be on the safer side, keep 5-7 odd liters before the re-fill.

This might reduce the chances of a fuel pump failure.

ByDesign - another thing that I would suggest is; go for premium diesel, at least initially from a good gas station, I would suggest the one at Race Course Road, the one opposite PM house.
Old 29th June 2011, 14:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for a late reposnse, but what a wonderful writeup man. I was rolling on the floor laughing reading some of your comments, for instance, dishoom dishoom bolloywood movie. You have a great knack of writing. Keep it up. A nice travelogue from you would make a very interesting reading material.

Optra IS a very good car and at that price, its probably the best option. Like someone mentioned already, Chevy is pretty much ignored in Indian market. Cruze is the only protruding tooth of Chevy, to some extent. Optra is dated compared to the competition, but that can't really be a deal breaker. People are still buying Santros and Altos which were launched in the pre-historic era (figuratively). So being dated seriously cant be the problem. The only thing people (read as worshippers of Maruti A.S.S.) might have 100 doubts about Chevy A.S.S. Also, the service network is pretty thin, even now.

Optra is monsterously spacious and has an extreme rich feel to everything inside, like you've already mentioned.

Did I miss the HD photos of your Optra or there are not there yet??? If not uploaded yet, please do so. I am waiting.

Cheers!!!
Old 29th June 2011, 15:31   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post

Its always good to do the above mentioned steps. But the idling should be followed after a prolonged drive in the turbo band as well. Whenever I do highway trips, I don't switch off the engine If i am stopping the vehicle for 2-3 minutes. When I take a coffee break or so [more than 10 mins], I make sure to run the engine for 30s - 60s after parking and then switch it off.

Its also important not to drive the car in the turbo band till the engine comes into the optimal temperature. Sudden accelerations which can hit the turbo band may be avoided as well till the temperature is achieved.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th June 2011 at 15:34.
Old 29th June 2011, 15:49   #42
BHPian

Congrats. That's a fantastic car with a scorching diesel engine. The Magnum has always been a great car except for the poor resale value and the fact that the car has reached the end of its life cycle. Having said that, the engine specs are better than most diesel cars in the same price range.

I somehow preferred the old style alloys on the Magnum. Wonder why Chevy chose to change them. I also wish Chevy had put a shiny metallic-looking logo on the steering wheel. Right now, the steering wheel looks quite bland.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:26   #43
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy. Happy miles and smile.

Tuff call but sensible.I really like the hood. It is beautifully packed. I have driven the Cruze and understand the delivery of power. Its a rocket. But what about the Turbo lag. Does the turbo kick in at late rpm like the cruze.
Old 29th June 2011, 17:35   #44
BHPian

About turbocharger, it is important to idle for atleast 45 secs to a min

1. whenever u crank the engine
2. when ever u turn the engine off

Do not make sudden acceleration until the engine has reached its optimum temperature. There are the thumbrules on vehicles with turbocharger that i learnt.
Old 30th June 2011, 01:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Went through this thread on the phone in the daytime and was thinking that rather than us guys exchange opnions, someone who owns an Optra (bydesign?) should check what the manual says and follow it.

Now we have Viswesh, who does own an Optra Diesel saying this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
About turbocharger, it is important to idle for atleast 45 secs to a min

1. whenever u crank the engine
2. when ever u turn the engine off

Do not make sudden acceleration until the engine has reached its optimum temperature. There are the thumbrules on vehicles with turbocharger that i learnt.
I presume the above is based on the manual, Viswesh. Just in case not, it would be good for the readers that you do confirm the same from the manual.

Most Viewed