Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 10:15   #46
BHPian

Re: New Optra Magnum 2.0 LT [Sandrift Grey]

Problem No. 1

Well folks, it's not been long since we got the new Optra Magnum LT, but guess what, we've run into our first niggle!

The fuel tank lid, is opened by a lever under the drivers seat as we all know. There's a small actuation assembly that opens the fuel tank lid, which consists of a long wire/line which ends in a sort of plastic tip that protrudes into the fuel tank lid cavity. Every time one pulls the lever, the line twists the tip and it allows the lid to spring actuate and open. What's happened is, that tip has come away from its fixed point. So now the fuel tank lid is perpetually open. We've had to use cellophane tape to hold it shut, which makes the car look awful. There's this small washer type ring, which fits between the metal and the tip, which has fallen off and got lost, so I can't seem to figure out how to make that tip thing sit there without falling off every time someone opens the fuel tank lid!

Photos I know! But i've got to office already and the Optra's at home!

PS: The exact same problem happened at the time of delivery of the car! The boy was filling 5 litres of diesel in the tank and *POP!* that thing just came off.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:30   #47
BANNED

The heading (Problem No. 1) seems scary for perspective buyers like me.

Thanks ByDesign for keeping the fellow members posted.

Would suggest that you take the car to the dealership ASAP and get this niggle rectified.
Old 9th July 2011, 12:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post

Thanks ByDesign for keeping the fellow members posted.

Would suggest that you take the car to the dealership ASAP and get this niggle rectified.
Problems been fixed. This was my saturday off, so decided to go and tinker round with the ol' girl. So this is what happened.

(you'll have to forgive me for no photos, but its horribly humid outside, and I was sweating like a fat girl at a pav bhaji fest)

Opened the boot, removed that fabric lining held to the body with those plastic rivet bolts. Peeled the boot lining off and took a good look inside. So what goes on is, the wire from the fuel lid actuator leads to the fuel tank lid cavity area through the body wall. It's an extremely clumsy setup with the wire just dangling between the body wall and the boot fabric liner. At one point of time, I think the wire used to pass under a double tape, with which it was bound to the body wall from the inside. I saw the tape, but nothing underneath. So I removed the double tape and pasted the wire once more. And for good measure, I reinforced the wire thrice at different points along the body wall, before and after the duct tape. It sits fine now, no movement at all. Lets see how long this lasts. I then put the fabric back, and re-fastened the plastic rivets in place, which are SORT of wobbly now!

Thanks for readin folks. Please make sure to direct anyone with fuel tank lid opening problems in the Optra to this thread!
Old 9th July 2011, 15:31   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Hey Torq, don't worry. That's a very minor problem, and probably the No.1 will stay at 1, and not go beyond
Go for it buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByDesign View Post
Problem No. 1

Well folks, it's not been long since we got the new Optra Magnum LT, but guess what, we've run into our first niggle!
I had a similar issue, but it happened at my first assurance checkup. (Mentioned here). Though unlike in your case, the retainer clip fell in!! The service engineer fit it back and applied some fevi kwik for good measure.
But beyond that, no issues! (Touch wood)
Old 11th August 2011, 19:19   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post

fit it back and applied some fevi kwik for good measure.
But beyond that, no issues! (Touch wood)
Keyur..Is that how its supposed to be fixed? i have a good reason to ask as my Optra Magnum LT (diamond white) arrived last evening from Trident Chevrolet, B'lore and its only to prempt and be prepared for the very same experience (if at all ) that couple of guys in the this thread underwent concerning the fuel lid..
Old 11th August 2011, 22:08   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired View Post
Keyur..Is that how its supposed to be fixed? i have a good reason to ask as my Optra Magnum LT (diamond white) arrived last evening from Trident Chevrolet, B'lore and its only to prempt and be prepared for the very same experience (if at all ) that couple of guys in the this thread underwent concerning the fuel lid..
Congrats on your new Optra!

Also, the lock has a insert and twist mechanism. Normally it does not come off. The fevi qwik was to ensure that it stays in place.
Old 12th August 2011, 22:16   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnaturallywired View Post
Please ensure you also reinforce the wire of the opening mechanism. Just read my detailed report on how I fixed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Congrats on your new Optra!

Also, the lock has a insert and twist mechanism. Normally it does not come off. The fevi qwik was to ensure that it stays in place.
The insert and twist does not keep it in place for too long. And thank you

***UPDATE***

Due to an exceedingly hectic office schedule, the optra went till 2000 kms before it had its first free service today. The engine kept going off at slow speeds in high gear. Generally wear torquey diesels just pull through even for example. at 10 kmph in 2nd gear, our optra turned off with a bit of a stalled thud. Got the air filter thoroughly cleaned. All fluid levels optimal. Riding smooth now.

Fuel efficiency in the city with constant AC is about 12 ~ 13 kmpl. Will see if there's any improvement after first service (not that anything major's been done)

Last edited by ByDesign : 12th August 2011 at 22:19.
Old 12th August 2011, 23:43   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The engine kept going off at slow speeds in high gear. Generally wear torquey diesels just pull through even for example. at 10 kmph in 2nd gear, our optra turned off with a bit of a stalled thud. Got the air filter thoroughly cleaned. All fluid levels optimal. Riding smooth now.
Whats the idle rpm for this car? I guess the new gen diesels are not supposed to shut down in low speed and the ECU makes sure the speed is increased if it comes too low. Not sure how did it happen for you.

Quote:
Fuel efficiency in the city with constant AC is about 12 ~ 13 kmpl. Will see if there's any improvement after first service (not that anything major's been done)
Whats the usual mileage of this car in City as well as highway for a NOT spirited drive ? ARAI figures?
Old 13th August 2011, 02:59   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The engine kept going off at slow speeds in high gear. Generally wear torquey diesels just pull through even for example. at 10 kmph in 2nd gear, our optra turned off with a bit of a stalled thud. Got the air filter thoroughly cleaned. All fluid levels optimal. Riding smooth now.
Optra has taller gearing than many (if not most) other cars around. So it needs to be at a higher speed for each gear. Also please note the point below

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Whats the idle rpm for this car? I guess the new gen diesels are not supposed to shut down in low speed and the ECU makes sure the speed is increased if it comes too low. Not sure how did it happen for you.
The ECU would take over to keep it at idle, only if the clutch is gradually released. That too would have it's limitations. Say if we put it in fifth gear at 10kmph, it would not work (unless maybe, if we try some extreme stuff with the release of the clutch, which really would not be recommended).

Matching gear used and speed of the car would be needed. A higher speed would be needed in the Magnum, due to it's higher gear ratios.

PS: Some stuff about gear ratios of the Optra was discussed in the Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan Sedan IIRC the discussion included @bansal98, Oxyzen, SLK, me and also @Swiftnfurious.
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 11:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Whats the usual mileage of this car in City as well as highway for a NOT spirited drive ? ARAI figures?
I'm afraid someone else will have to answer this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Optra has taller gearing than many (if not most) other cars around. So it needs to be at a higher speed for each gear. Also please note the point below

The ECU would take over to keep it at idle, only if the clutch is gradually released. That too would have it's limitations. Say if we put it in fifth gear at 10kmph, it would not work (unless maybe, if we try some extreme stuff with the release of the clutch, which really would not be recommended).

Matching gear used and speed of the car would be needed. A higher speed would be needed in the Magnum, due to it's higher gear ratios.

PS: Some stuff about gear ratios of the Optra was discussed in the Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan Sedan IIRC the discussion included @bansal98, Oxyzen, SLK, me and also @Swiftnfurious.
Good stuff here, thanks for the post Poitive. +1 thanks
Old 19th June 2012, 13:00   #56
BANNED

Hi ByDesign -

It's been a while since you updated this thread, somewhere on the Palio ownership thread, you have mentioned that the service on the Optra costed you 12K.

The guys here on the forum and myself (being an Optra owner too) would be thankful if you may shed some light on the breakup that amounted to 12K.

The oil is Elf - 15W40, 6.5L should cost 1500 odd bucks, the filter 600 odd, beyond this I'll not go at this point in time as the mileage on your beast is unknown to me, request you to please mention the same.

Happy Motoring !!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks