Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 08:16   #16
BHPian

Re: My Volkswagen Vento 1.6L TDi : 350 kms review!

Precise review oxygen. I am sure this thread is of much use to me as I am in the process of deciding between T-jet and Vento D. Please do update.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevintomin View Post
Precise review oxygen. I am sure this thread is of much use to me as I am in the process of deciding between T-jet and Vento D. Please do update.
Thanks.
Infact these two were the choices I had to shortlist. And these are the ones that were ripped before making the buying decision. In the end the dicision was simple.
1) For my Dad VW was an aspirational brand. The word German Engineering means a lot to him. For me I dont prefer Fiat. That is because of the sub per A.S.S of Fiat. It is a Palio that I currently drive.
2) Vento being a diesel has its obvious advantage. The price difference between Petrol & Diesel is increasing exponentially. Under such a circumstance, it is wise to opt for Diesel even if your running isn't too much. Over and above the resale of Diesel is much better.
3) The fit and Finish as well as the Interior design of Fiat was not to my taste. VW on the other hand had the best Fit and finish of the segment.
4) And finally the respectable midrange of T-Jet is outclassed by Vento. The lag in Vento was competitively less and the pulling power is significantly better. It is hard to believe how come both the cars have similar 0-100 nos. Maybe it because of the extra 1000 rev in T-Jet (5000-6000). But how many times in your life will you find yourself in such a powerband? So it is the Vento that made more sense. Also don't forget you do have the option to Pete it as well.

The T-Jet had some points up its sleeve as well.
It is much more feature loaded.
And most importantly 16" alloys + all 4 disc.
And secondly Linea looked much better than the Vento specially from the rear. I just love the tail lamps.
It does have slightly better handling and a HPS to attract the enthusiasts.

But looking from a wider angle Vento is the car you like to own in the long run. In the end both are excellent cars. Good luck choosing.

** Dont buy a Fiat unless you have a decent service station around.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2011, 21:28   #18
BHPian

Oxygen,

Hearty congratulations on your new precious possession. And more striking is your thoroughly unbiased,well put together, review.You must be feeling rejuvenated after that 350 km drive

Oxygen,don't you think the Fluidic is good looking? May be a few design flaws-but sheer looks?

Upgrade to 205/55 will not spoil the ride slightly?

How was the dealer experience? A lot is being heard( and I personally experienced) about the VW dealer experience.

Can we have more interior pictures,please?

Rgds,charthom.
Old 4th July 2011, 21:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Oxygen,don't you think the Fluidic is good looking? May be a few design flaws-but sheer looks?

Upgrade to 205/55 will not spoil the ride slightly?

How was the dealer experience? A lot is being heard( and I personally experienced) about the VW dealer experience.

Can we have more interior pictures,please?
Thanks.
Right now I am not at Home. So cant post interior pics. But I will once I return. May be during Diwali. Sorry.

Yes ride is supposed to deteriorate (but marginally) with 205/55. But since my tyres are shot with apollo, I don't plan on changing them now. As much as the size, the quality of tyre also matters in ride quality. I am no tyre expert. Will ask the experts before the upgrade.

About the dealership, I had a very good experience. I Must say I am lucky. Please go through my previous posts where it is elaborated.

The Verna looks looks. There is no denying the fact. Right now fluidic looks better than Vento (personal choice), but I think it the the Vento that will age well.
Old 4th July 2011, 22:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Upgrades planned

After 6 months
A 2 or 3 way speaker for the front doors.

After 2 yrs
Tyres.

After that
Pete's Box or equivalent.

Expect to keep the car for 10+ yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
By the way what the actual colour of your Vento, as from my Android it seems to be somewhat Beige like shade. Is it the same or else!
Thanks.

About the colour, Yes it is Terra beige.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Vento's lag is well known to be minimal and thats its major strength
There are cars that have even lower lag (marginally). But in that case you are deprived of this insane pulling power. But even in the lag zone, the Vento is faster than many petrol hatches. Lag is a relative perception.

Drive a Polo to experience real lag.
Old 5th July 2011, 06:56   #21
BHPian

Thanks a lot oxyzen for the detailed comparison between the T-jet and Vento-D. Yes, I too agree that in the present situation Vento-D is a sensible buy.
Old 5th July 2011, 10:44   #22
BHPian

Congratulations for this fantastic beast ownership and choice of color. I personally like this color and also it's not yet common in market.

Oxyzen got it right saying that Lag is a relative experience to the extend if it feels less or more.
I would suggest upgrade of HU to caska or equivalent presently as it will enhance the look and feel good factor for your interaction with the car.
Old 5th July 2011, 13:51   #23
BHPian

Great attention to detail in the review.

I difer from you on the placing of tow hook is right. If hidden everyone will tie it to any opening possible. Also when hooked the rope will not interfere with the bumper.
Old 5th July 2011, 20:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
I personally like this color and also it's not yet common in market.
I would suggest upgrade of HU to caska or equivalent presently as it will enhance the look and feel good factor for your interaction with the car.
Thanks
This colour is still not common as it was not available in the initial lots. Only White, silver, Black and red (probably) were available. But this is surely going to be very common later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsr_rpm View Post
I difer from you on the placing of tow hook is right. If hidden everyone will tie it to any opening possible. Also when hooked the rope will not interfere with the bumper.
Thinking from design perspective.... You are right.
But the aesthetics have taken a beating.
But could not something be done to make it less visible?

"If hidden everyone will tie it to any opening possible."
Old 6th July 2011, 12:02   #25
BHPian

Oxyzen, Congratulations! Superb review! Your pain points are almost matching all of mine for the Vento. Working on my review too and should have it up soon.
Old 6th July 2011, 12:49   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Oxyzen, Congratulations! Superb review! Your pain points are almost matching all of mine for the Vento. Working on my review too and should have it up soon.
Thanks
I will be waiting. It is raining Ventos in Team-BHP.
Old 6th July 2011, 13:00   #27
BHPian

Congrats oxyzen. Loved the colour of the car and of course the fact that its a TDI. Everyone seems to have great opinions of the 1.6 TDI engine and I guess the cons you have listed can be easily forgotten when you have such a gem under the hood. The Verna might have more features but its the Vento that really appeals to the heart with the VW branding, responsive engine and better dynamics.
Old 6th July 2011, 23:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The Verna might have more features but its the Vento that really appeals to the heart with the VW branding, responsive engine and better dynamics.
Anyone who loves to drive will invariably choose Vento over Verna if they TD both. The Verna actually appeals to the heart with its fluidic design and real cool features.
But it is the Vento that appeals to the soul. It feels like, the car responds exactly the way you ask for. Somewhat on the lines of AVATAR.
But now this is exaggeration.
Old 27th July 2011, 02:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Anyone who loves to drive will invariably choose Vento over Verna if they TD both. The Verna actually appeals to the heart with its fluidic design and real cool features.
But it is the Vento that appeals to the soul. It feels like, the car responds exactly the way you ask for. Somewhat on the lines of AVATAR.
But now this is exaggeration.
Totally agree. Verna is jazzy in design whereas Vento is sophisticated. And if you look at critical components of a vehicle- ride, handling, stability; the Vento wins hands down!
Congrats on your acquiring a very reliable vehicle. I am sure you are going to enjoy every drive. Good colour choice - i guess this colour is available only on the High line variant (along with Shadow Blue).
Old 27th July 2011, 08:07   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice review for a nice car - congrats.
Keep us updated on any mods you plan.
Drive safe!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks