Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 11:03   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!

It was sometime last year that I got a call from Behram Dhabhar saying he wanted to visit me with the Thar and have some feedback after I test drove the vehicle. I was thrilled with the prospect of a day spent with an automobile engineer and discussions about his creation. As already mentioned in another thread I was sold on the Thar. It looked like a 550 but the comparison really ended there. This was a modern Jeep through and through.

Later when the Thar was released in India (long story behind that too ) I wanted to go for one but decided to wait for a factory installed a/c. Early June I had gone for a short vacation to Kashmir and I really felt the need for an open Jeep where I could explore India and enjoy her natural beauty unhindered by a hardtop. I knew the Thar was the car for me. With 4x4 it was the perfect go anywhere car for me.

Back in Hyderabad I visited the showroom to ask about delivery times and if any news of the a/c fitment was available. First it became apparent the a/c was still several months away, and secondly, more worryingly, the price had shot up 30k since launch. It was obvious Mahindra were doing a price correction as the car was well received and they obviously had priced it aggressively at launch. I spoke to BD and when he assured me that a dealer fitment of a/c once everything was sorted out would in no way compromise the car I paid a deposit for a Rocky Beige Thar.

Last week after a two day bandh on account of the Telangana agitation I casually walked in to the showroom to ask on any dates when the car would be dispatched from the plant. To my shock and surprise the exec answered with a smile "Sir your Thar has arrived and is at our PDI yard !!" I had a quick bite and during lunch hour drove to the yard to inspect the car and choose one from the two that had arrived.

As I walked into the yard there before me were two Rocky Beige Thar's. I selected the one on the left. It had been manufactured on 21st June 2011. Absolutely fresh !!!

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0082.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0079.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0080.jpg

I am very particular about showrooms not giving test drives on new cars so made a specific request that the car be left at the PDI yard till delivery. I wasn't sure how long the finance formalities would take. Once back at the office I casually asked a colleague to explore finance options and believe it or not by evening the bank was selected and forms signed up. Next day, a Friday the FI took place, I made the downpayment to the dealer and by afternoon it looked like I could actually take delivery by evening !! Wow that was quick. I asked the showroom to complete the pdi and bring the car over to the showroom which is walking distance from my office. As I finished lunch and was walking across to the Mahindra showroom a shining new Rocky Beige Thar drove past and parked by the side of the showroom. The impression I got seeing the car move through traffic was of nimblefootedness. I could tell the CRDe was a gem and it was apparent to me now that this was going to be a fun Jeep

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0085.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0088.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0089.jpg

There was some confusion with the driver thinking this was a display car but I clarified this was the car for me and got the exec to shift it into the workshop for accessory fitment and final preparation for delivery. I had a headlight grill, insect mesh and taillight grill in matt black installed. Seeing the car washed and clean I was bowled over by the green and black combination on the car. They were going to install the wheel caps but I kind of liked the car without them and asked them to leave them in the car.

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0092.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0093.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0095.jpg

As my Thar was being prepared yet another one in wine red arrived. It was also to be delivered the same evening. Later the exec told me the owner of the red Thar saw my car and started insisting he be given the Rocky Beige as he too fell in love with the colour. They politely explained the Rocky Beige was being delivered and that it was too late to change

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0096.jpg

By 6 pm evening when I got off work the Thar was ready and clearance from finance received and all set for the delivery !! Here she is in the delivery bay all shining and gleaming. By now I had fallen in love with the look of a Rocky Beige Thar and black everything else. Simply looks stunning !!

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-img_0097.jpg

Ironically just as for the Harley a few minutes before I was to drive out of the dealership there was a downpour. Strangely both came home on a Friday exactly one week apart.

My office car is a Chevy Aveo so as I eased the Thar onto the road and gave it the usual amount of throttle I am used to giving to accelerate the Aveo the Thar literally exploded onto the road. Wow this was one helluva stonking engine and my first impressions also were noticing a super smooth gearbox and silent cabin with no squeaks. I distinctly remember saying to myself "Buddy you have just treated yourself to a really fine car, lucky guy"

After I filled some gas given as complimentary by the dealership and drove home, enjoying the Thar and the Necklace road enroute to my home, the same thought crossed my mind, as did when I rode the Harley home. I felt humbled at being privileged to enjoy things so special. I felt a sense of gratitude and joy that I had after 13 years treated myself once again to some seriously fun machinery which I know would give me joy for years to come.

The Thar comes home

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-5.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-4.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-3.jpg

Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!-6.jpg

Over the past few days as I've been driving the Thar everyday to work and also later in the evening around my home the following impressions have emerged. Do please keep in mind I have graduated to a Thar from a Jeep CJ3B so much of my perspectives are based on appreciating the Thar over a regular Jeep

What I love most about the Thar

Its looks, especially in the Rocky Beige and black combo
Amazing engine and gearbox
Great ride for a Jeep, feels so much more like a car
Look of the seats, the fabric and the carpeting, suits the car to a T
Really nice steering feel, actually like the cover stitched to the wheel, feels like leather
Amazing turning radius
Finally and I never ever thought this could happen, I actually like the Thar with the top on !!!
Bridgestone tyres
Intermittant wipe for wipers
Three point seat belt on a Jeep !
Decent handbrake on a Jeep !
Horn
Headlight spread
Drivetrain refinement, its super smooth and quiet with no driveline noises
Finally a Jeep that doesn't leak and get wet when driving in rain

What I don't like about the Thar but can live with

Dashboard, a dedicated dash designed for the Thar would really enhance the car's interior. The present one looks okay when kept clean but the bit about cut to fit looks unbecoming of any car, Jeep included

Paint finish while very good from Jeep standards is not close to what you can expect on a Scorpio or Bolero. Part of the problem may be the old 540/550 dies which aren't stamping the panels out blemish free.

Small tell tale signs of bolt threads picking up rust here and there. I am painting the exposed bits to avoid it but the plant could do the same to save the owner the hassle.

Some of the holes in the floor don't have rubber plugs and since the thick carpet has a wool/cotton backing it can soak up water during an underbody wash and a wet carpet would eventually bugger up the floor paint and cause more rust. Planning to plug holes with rubber plugs

Wiper stalk too close to dash. If it had been the light stalk it would have been a real drag but being a wiper stalk this is something I can live with

What I don't like about the Thar and simply cannot live with

A very honest answer - None !!

In summary the Thar is a great all rounder offroader and can serve as your daily transport, cross country (on tarmac and off) expedition vehicle and leisure lifestyle vehicle. Its mechanicals are fabulous and overall fit and finish is also very very smart. The car looks handsome and desirable stock. I intend keeping it that way. I could have easily nitpicked on details and lost the plot. But then I find BMW paint finishes at 50 lacs pathetic. A real orange has lesser peel than the BMW !! So we are talking about looking at the overall package and trying to enjoy it. I know I will, hope you guys can too !!

Last edited by DKG : 13th July 2011 at 12:36.
DKG is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 11:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!

Santa has been really showering presents on you this year and that too way ahead of time! CONGRATULATIONS! And wishing you the very best of experience exploring India in the brand new Thar.

Why dont you goto AKC and Examm then, its just a days drive in Thar
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 11:24   #3

Ahh Finally Eh!! I am really beginning to like this color now!! First Abhi and now you! Lovely! BTW, The canopy doesnt seem to be fully attached to the Vehicle. Do check the rear left and just behind the driver's door.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:25   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Why dont you goto AKC and Examm then, its just a days drive in Thar
I have just enough leave to last me the Monastery Escape end of the month. Besides I would have preferred Coorg or Munnar for monsoon western ghat offroad fun. But a large contingent from Hyd will be there
Old 13th July 2011, 12:51   #5
Team-BHP Support

DKG you are planning to fit the AC for Thar, any idea what the quote is?
Old 13th July 2011, 13:36   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats DKG.!!! That's a good machine you got for yourself and I am sure you will put it to good use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
.............In summary the Thar is a great all rounder offroader and can serve as your daily transport, cross country (on tarmac and off) expedition vehicle and leisure lifestyle vehicle.
Agree to all but maybe not the 'daily transport' one -- especially for folks who want this to be their ONLY car. I wish M&M listen and make it work to be our only & daily drive vehicle.

For all other things you listed, Thar is spot on.

Quote:
Its mechanicals are fabulous and overall fit and finish is also very very smart. The car looks handsome and desirable stock. ...
The mechanicals & the drivetrain are the BEST PARTs of the Thar and frankly, everyone I know who has driven the Thar has loved these parts.

Congrats again and yes, the Rocky Biege color is my personal favorite too.

PS: Does the rear roll bar come as standard or is an accessory?
khan_sultan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 13:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Man you are on a Roll. Harley followed up by a Thar.
You are living a wonderful life Sir. A wonderful life.

Your garage is pretty large.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 15:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congrats DKG Sir. What a wonderful year this has been for you. I have seen people chasing their dreams but in your case, I see dreams chasing you relentlessly and making themselves come true. Hope it stays this way forever.

The Thar looks awesome in this color. Until now, I thought that the That looked great in Wine Red only but this Rocky Beige seems to be equally fabulous. IMO, beefier tires and spanking alloys would complete the already awesome looks of this vehicle. Wishing you many many miles of sheer pleasure piloting this beast!

All said and done, I still don't think that Thar could be an everyday car for someone, especially in cities like Chennai and Hyderabad, where AC is absolutely essential in daytime. As a second car - yes, as a weekend drive - yes, as a mud-plugging off-roader - yes, but not yet as an only everyday car in the house.
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 15:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

Congrats DKG, the Thar looks really nice in this color.

Are you planning to add some lockable trunk in the back, otherwise how are you going to secure the luggage on long trips?
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 15:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations DKG. Wish you many happy miles with your Thar. Please do not even think of AC now, I presume you have plans for AC by next summer only. That is OK. We will discuss more on that once I'm in Hyderabad.

Spike

PS- Somehow seems like you've found Alladins magic lamp in Hyderabad.
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 16:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I selected the one on the left. It had been manufactured on 21st June 2011. Absolutely fresh !!!
Congratulations on your purchase !!

How did you get to know the manufacturing date so precisely ?

Cheers
Carrot
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 17:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats DKG - that is a handsome car. Hope you've done all the anti-theft this baby requires.

PS: I see the toll plaza guys in delhi buying Thar CRDes for policing it - talk of style and substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post

Cheers
Carrot
Yes DKG - tell us?

But btw - some cars have a telltale sign - In my Maruti swift, there was a MSIL factory parking lot ticket for the 8th of October 2008 - so clearly my car would have been manufactured on 7 or 8th of Oct 2008
phamilyman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 17:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Yes DKG - tell us?
DKG with your permission.

Pretty simple. There is a blue sticker on the windshield (driver side top) which must have 21 JUN written on it, usually this sticker is removed during PDI. The sticker color changes every month or so.

Spike
Old 13th July 2011, 17:45   #14
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems you are on a roll, DKG Sir.

Congrats for the Harley and the Thar. You are definitely living what most of us are dreaming. I have always dreamt about a Rocky Beige colored Mahindra Thar CRDe since I first saw one in Bangalore. And a Harley Davidson is every man's dream. Wish you many happy miles with both of your new rides. Keep revving !!
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 17:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Deepak Ji!

Having seen both your beauties up, close and personal, I'm impressed. What really surprised me that the interiors seem to have improved from the first batch.

Let's do the trails we talked about last week

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks