Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 19:06   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar: How I made sure I didn't lose the forest for the trees !!

Dear Deepak - First of all, congratulations. I am completely overwhelmed by your gracious comments. I don't know what to say, but here goes.

Way back in 2002 when the Scorpio was launched, I had made a quiet decision. That decision was made by me with myself that - "one day I will pack the Scorpio driveline into the quintessential Mahindra MM540 and make it look and work exactly the way I want it to look and work". I had every single nuance of this car in my head since then.

Well, that day is today. Your comments have finally indicated that the desired result is achieved. I HAVE ACHIEVED EXACTLY WHAT I HAD SET OUT TO ACHIEVE. The car looks and works exactly as I had wanted it to look and work. You are now driving my creation and you are enjoying the way it looks and works. That's all that matters to me. Enjoy yourself, thank you and God bless.

The day I get secure parking for myself in Mumbai (I don't have one for the last 19 years, 10 months, 7 days and counting), I'll buy one for myself, that's a promise I am making to myself today!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 13th July 2011 at 19:10. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 19:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely color scheme. Waiting for a longer user perspective after you complete Monastery Drive. Does it have a cabin heater or not?
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 19:57   #18
BHPian

DKG, you are one lucky guy, you have all that a man could desire, a Harley and a Thar, life's complete and full circle.
musicmanaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 21:05   #19
BHPian

Congrats Deepak sir!

The very fact that you are from Hyderabad is a big boost to someone like me who's looking for Thar as an option. I've been in a dilemma to buy a second car and have also started a thread to take suggestions from fellow bhpians and this Jeep was in my list of contenders as well, with the only drawback being the practical aspects, which I felt was a bit too much to compromise on.

However, your thread seems to have given me an encouragement of sorts to consider Thar as a strong contender. Yes, I think it's time I lead life my way (something like your way), enjoying the roads, the forests and life. Congrats on the Harley as well!

Would request you to keep this thread alive for a long time with your regular updates, mentioning the good things, the challenges you might face in the future, how to overcome some simple problems - touchwood - that might arise from time to time in the course of your ownership and make this an educative thread for aspiring jeepers like me!
Old 13th July 2011, 21:11   #20
AWD
BHPian

Congrats DKG, are you the smart one with hair band & mobile?

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2011 at 22:14. Reason: Please type ONLY in English on this forum. Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 21:18   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
DKG you are planning to fit the AC for Thar, any idea what the quote is?
Once Mahindra sort out the kit and installation reports on a/c effectiveness and efficiency are confirmed I will. Hopefully before next summer. presently they quoted approx 38k

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Does it have a cabin heater or not?
yes it does and I was relieved to discover it as the next few years will see me heading up to the Himalayas a lot with this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I HAVE ACHIEVED EXACTLY WHAT I HAD SET OUT TO ACHIEVE. The car looks and works exactly as I had wanted it to look and work. You are now driving my creation and you are enjoying the way it looks and works.
And for that I salute you, Spike and the rest of the Thar team !! I must also take this opportunity to record my appreciation for Mr. Anand Mahindra and the fabulous interactions I had with him. But for him we in India would have never seen the Thar. I am grateful to him and you guys for giving India a fab offroader. Thanks a ton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
What really surprised me that the interiors seem to have improved from the first batch.
This was the first thing I noticed too. As I looked at the Thar interior my thoughts were "what were people cribbing about? the seats and carpeting actually look smart and inviting." Ofcourse the dash could improve

Quote:
Let's do the trails we talked about last week
Lets !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
There is a blue sticker on the windshield (driver side top) which must have 21 JUN written on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes DKG - tell us?...some cars have a telltale sign
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
How did you get to know the manufacturing date so precisely ?
Yes Spike thanks. It has the blue sticker which says 21 JUN 11

BTW just as a matter of interest my Harley has the chassis number followed by 06 11 so I know that it too was made in June !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I presume you have plans for AC by next summer only. That is OK. We will discuss more on that once I'm in Hyderabad.
Yes Sir ! Unless you and BD clear the kit the question of an install does not arise.
[quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Are you planning to add some lockable trunk in the back, otherwise how are you going to secure the luggage on long trips?
Some options to consider, haven't decided yet but most likely the first one.

1. Install a roof rack with a bolt on lockable trunk when I travel. There's a gorgeous matt crinkle black carrier available as a Scorpio accessory. Will look hot on the Thar

2. Install a large lockable trunk on the bed and remove it when not travelling

3. Install removeable aluminium panels under the top so while from the outside it looks like a stock softtop its actually a hardtop with soft cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Does the rear roll bar come as standard or is an accessory?
Its not standard, available as an accessory and not very expensive either. I think they quoted 7k for it

Last edited by DKG : 13th July 2011 at 21:25.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 21:36   #22
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
a big boost to someone like me who's looking for Thar as an option
At its price point I don't think there's anything quite as versatile as the Thar. For the past few days been driving it to work daily and simply loving it. Funny thing is there's something about Jeeps that strikes a chord with the man on the street. There's this "apna gaadi" feeling across sections of society. The number of people smiling at the car and giving it the thumbs up is really amusing. Ofcourse they go crazy over my CJ3B too. Its a Jeep thing !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
Congrats DKG, are you the smart one with hair band & mobile?

no sir not the smart one with hair band. Just someone with salt and pepper hair !!

Saar ji hamko bhi kuch bata do, hum bhi khade hain line mein...!
Old 14th July 2011, 20:18   #23
BHPian

Congrats and hope you and your Thar build the kind of rapport only a jeep lover can nurture and journey together for many wonderful years through thick and thin..Thanks for the very lucid description -reminded me of the day when I picked up my red Classic from the TVS yard here in Cochin back in 1998.Am going to acquire the Thar,hopefully sometime next year- and Yes I agree with you -when it comes to a Jeep let us not fall into a state where "we can't see the forest for the trees"!Am only worried about the electronics in the crde ,compared with the DI-but guess they are durable and dependable too!
Ronnie Zach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 22:18   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the Thar! I feel happy for you & for the Thar. Simply because I know you are really going to enjoy her long distance cruising capability & take her to some totally offbeat places. In other words, you are going to be using the Thar just the way it was meant to be. Can we please have a panoramic shot of all your cars / bikes together? It's one heck of a petrolhead collection.

If I didn't have the Classic, there'd be a Thar in my garage by now. Beautiful Jeep, this ones a keeper DKG.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2011, 23:17   #25
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congratulations on the Thar! I feel happy for you & for the Thar. Simply because I know you are really going to enjoy her long distance cruising capability & take her to some totally offbeat places. In other words, you are going to be using the Thar just the way it was meant to be.
The Thar really has surprised me GTO. Its just so deliciously refined, and what an engine !! I am floored by its power delivery. The fab gearbox, delightfuly smooth steering and a suspension that makes it a joy to potter around town. On the highway this car will be a blast to drive. Once she settles in will start taking her to exotic offroad locations. I intend it to be my India Expedition vehicle !! There's just so much to see in India

Some friends are talking about expeditions to SriLanka. Would love to take the Thar on such trips.

Quote:
Can we please have a panoramic shot of all your cars / bikes together? It's one heck of a petrolhead collection.
Will do so soon

Quote:
If I didn't have the Classic, there'd be a Thar in my garage by now. Beautiful Jeep, this ones a keeper DKG.
Totally agree, in Rocky Beige the car rocks !!

Last edited by DKG : 15th July 2011 at 23:18.
Old 15th July 2011, 23:36   #26
Team-BHP Support

Congrats DKG. So when is your monastory trip happening. You must be waiting for that desparately
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 00:08   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Congrats DKG. So when is your monastory trip happening. You must be waiting for that desparately
30th July to August 11th. Really excited to finally be seeing that awesome countryside
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 06:55   #28
BHPian

Congrats on the buy! Your Thar is certainly a looker!

Few queries I had:

Is it easy to remove and install the soft top again and again? Like if it is not raining and then it suddenly pours.

How practical is the soft top?

Can we have interior pics?

If used on a daily basis is the Thar practical enough to replace a premium hatch?

Is the AC missed?

Do you have any mods planned? Removable HT?

Any particular reason for not going in for Alloys, Roll cage etc?

I understand that the Thar is a jeep but if not criticized too much can one buy this or is a V2 necessary?

PS: Thanks is advance!
Furebo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 08:56   #29
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Besides I would have preferred Coorg or Munnar for monsoon western ghat offroad fun.
Hi DKG, Congrats on the Thar. The colour is fantastic. I too prefer the Thar without the hub caps.

Should you plan a trip to Coorg, I will be glad to be of any help, you just need to ask! In return you just need to offer a seat in the back for me!

I was thinking may be you should fabricate a small closed trailer which can carry your luggage and off-road wheels for your long off-road trips. That way you may not need to modify anything on the Thar.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 11:27   #30
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Congrats DKG !! Thats one fabulous looking vehicle you got there Apart from the "expedition" mods, what about new shoes !?? Stock ones just dont cut it !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks