Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 11:43   #61
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
the center differential in Fortuner has LSD which works in AWD mode when center differential in not locked. Both Front and Rear differential are Open.

Exactly, One front and one rear wheel in air and it will not transmit power to other wheels.
So if one is stuck in above situation then will shifting back to H mode, where the central diff. is open, help in getting out. I mean will the wheels that are touching the ground get power due to central LSD...??

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Some of the markets abroad sell this car with a lockable rear diff. So you can always special order the part and retro fit it.
Sir jee thanks. Any idea about the part cost ?
Old 30th July 2011, 12:18   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
So if one is stuck in above situation then will shifting back to H mode, where the central diff. is open, help in getting out. I mean will the wheels that are touching the ground get power due to central LSD...??
No, Center Differential only splits the power between front and rear differentials, power split to individual wheels is taken care by front and rear differentials. Center Diff LSD works in AWD mode(unlocked mode).
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 14:14   #63
BHPian

Maximus's first long drive .. Tawa

December 2010

Odo reading : 500 kms

Tawa is a beautiful place near Itarsi. Its about 115 kms from Bhopal and takes about 3 hrs to reach there. There is a small dam whose reservoir forms the setting for some spectacular sunsets and sunrises.
The drive was great with third row seating coming handy since parents also went along with us. The AWD of the Fort is a boon on highways. You no longer have to worry when the right tyre goes down from the road while overtaking. No fishtailing nothing , confidence inspiring ride under such circumstances.

FE for the trip : 12.9 with AC on.

Some pics from the place

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6959.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_6965.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7030.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7033.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7041a_filtered.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7065a.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7079.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7080a.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7159.jpg

Last edited by columbus : 30th July 2011 at 14:16.
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 15:23   #64
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea about the part cost ?
You could write in to a south african dealer and ask for details of part numbers and quotes and then perhaps route the order through kirloskar
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2011, 23:39   #65
BHPian

That's one heck of a review...wonderfully pen'd and fabulous photography.That pic of you comparing a Fortuner with an alto brought back my memories of me in my Figo waiting at a traffic signal when a T-Fort came by my side....goosebumps!!
Old 31st July 2011, 09:38   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Yo Columbus !
Before we start the flag meeting after raising our respective white flags (which I did too a few minutes ago - couriered to you) two, only two, points from my side:

Whom have you sent to my house...i hope not Soldiers of the dreaded Waffen-Shutzstaffel (SS). I ask for a pardon to life for i have still not driven Maximus to my heart's content...

Of course be sure that you can drive a SUV round the corner like a sedan.

Two long points indeed.

Points well taken General saab but...

I will again say that you cannot defy Physics. No way you can corner an SUV like T Fort like you can do in a Cruze. And i am comparing the situation where the speed is the same. I have had my own butterfly moments. Sudden sharp curves which were a no issue in the City are now have to dealt with a bit lesser speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerme? View Post
That's one heck of a review...wonderfully pen'd and fabulous photography.That pic of you comparing a Fortuner with an alto brought back my memories of me in my Figo waiting at a traffic signal when a T-Fort came by my side....goosebumps!!
Thanks racerme. Yes its a huge vehicle but surprisingly easy to maneuver.
Old 31st July 2011, 20:21   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
SUV Vs Sedan...
Hi Columbus,
My sincere apologies.
My sentence (as in the written language - not punishment !) should have read:
"Of course be sure that you can't drive a SUV round the corner like a sedan."

A horrendous gaffe no doubt. But then read the rest of the post and this would fall in place.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:08   #68
BHPian

Maheshwar

Odo reading 1500 Kms

The run in period of 1000 kms had finished and Maximus was bored of meandring in 1K to 2K rpm range. It was time to stretch Maximus's legs .
Maheshwar is beautiful place on the banks of Narmada. Its about 315 kms from Bhopal with the route being Bhopal - Indore - NH3- cut left for Dhamnod-Maheshwar. Approx. 275 kms from Bhopal are a superb 4 lane expressway. Just what the doctor ordered for Maximus.

Maximus performed admirably on the expressway. Those long sweeping curves were handled deftly at good speed. Open straight stretches were despatched with disdain. Overall a very good performance.

FE for the trip : 12.9

The ghats of Maheshwar

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7201.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-_mg_7216.jpg
columbus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:27   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now i have gone through this interesting discussion here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...sd-suvs-8.html

On page 1 Samurai san mentions that the Fort has a rear LSD too. However the video above clearly shows that its not there. Since the left rear wheel was free the right rear wheel was not getting any power. Hope I am interpreting it right..?
Whoa! Hold on there. In that thread I was arguing exactly the opposite. I was saying it doesn't have rear LSD, and 4x4addict was saying it does. I had figured that Fortuner 4WD system is exactly like GV, whose 4WD system I know well by first hand offroading with it.

Quote:
This means that if my 1 front wheel is up in the air and 1 rear wheel is in the air then i am stuck...??
No, not if you lock your center diff. While unlocked, the torsen LSD doesn't transfer the torque to the other side if one side is free spinning. It needs some traction on the slipping side. Pressing the brakes lightly can help.

Quote:
Does the above handicap valid for all the three drive modes H, HL & LL.
What is the torque bias in all the above 3 modes..?
It applies only to H.

Quote:
Please do shed some light on the 4x4 system of the Fortuner.
The thread you referred has most of the answers. But repeated reading and some experimentation is required. You can't understand 4WD by reading, you have to offroad and understand.

Quote:
Even i had a debate earlier in one of the similar threads with Samurai where i said Fortuner has rear LSD, but i was wrong, the center differential in Fortuner has LSD which works in AWD mode when center differential in not locked. Both Front and Rear differential are Open.
Exactly.

Quote:
Exactly, One front and one rear wheel in air and it will not transmit power to other wheels. AFAIK it should be 50:50 split with Locked modes.
Right again.
Samurai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2011, 21:40   #70
BHPian

Jabalpur - Bedadghat - Baghuwar

Odo reading 3200 kms

There was a marriage in Wife's family at Jabalpur. Plus i had never been to my wife's ancestral village which was a short detour from Kareli. The thought of driving Maximus in feilds where Mahindra jeeps ply was tantalising enough to embark on a road trip.

The drive to Jabalpur was uneventful. However the bodyroll of the Fort was felt on patched and undulating NH12. On return from Jabalpur went to Bedaghat Marble rocks for a short visit. After Marble rocks our next destination was Baghuwar.

My wife's ancestral village Baghuwar has been termed as model village of MP. It boasts of 100% literacy rate, attached toilets in each home with underground drainage system in the entire village, rain water harvesting, community hall for marriage of their children a school which has produced IES and IAS officers, no elections for sarpanch turn by turn rotation
between communities....and countless other things. Their current projects include a guest house so that when the cheif minister visits he can stay in the village itself, a gym for the younger lot, solar powered street lights in the entire village..!!
Was really an eye opener for me. Wish every village could be like this... would ease so much pressure on cities...

FE for the trip 12.9

OH and Maximus was completely at ease in Mahindra country.

Bedaghat

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0055-1.jpg

At home ...

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0060.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0062.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0067.jpg

Mahindra country

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0071.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0100.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0105.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0107.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0112.jpg

Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & Ugly-img_0114.jpg
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:50   #71
BHPian

Sir my replies in bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Whoa! Hold on there. In that thread I was arguing exactly the opposite. I was saying it doesn't have rear LSD, and 4x4addict was saying it does. I had figured that Fortuner 4WD system is exactly like GV, whose 4WD system I know well by first hand offroading with it.

My sincere apologies sir. Yes indeed it was 4x4addict saying it does. You were very rightly arguing aginst it. Actually i had read that thread couple of times and got so confused that i qouted the wrong person. My apologies again.

That thread also made me visit my books of mechanical engg. for differetial design. However still there are many grey areas.

No, not if you lock your center diff. While unlocked, the torsen LSD doesn't transfer the torque to the other side if one side is free spinning. It needs some traction on the slipping side. Pressing the brakes lightly can help.

So what happens when the central diff. is locked. How power is transferred to the wheel in the case when 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel is in air. Is this taken care by the central Torsion LSD ?

The thread you referred has most of the answers. But repeated reading and some experimentation is required. You can't understand 4WD by reading, you have to offroad and understand.

In fact this article and offroading tips and techniques by tsk1979 did help a lot in my Ladakh trip. Tried many things there based on the information in these articles .
Old 3rd August 2011, 07:03   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My wife's ancestral village Baghuwar has been termed as model village of MP. It boasts of 100% literacy rate, attached toilets in each home with underground drainage system in the entire village, rain water harvesting, community hall for marriage of their children a school which has produced IES and IAS officers, no elections for sarpanch turn by turn rotation
between communities....and countless other things. Their current projects include a guest house so that when the cheif minister visits he can stay in the village itself, a gym for the younger lot, solar powered street lights in the entire village..!!
This is amazing to read.

Sir i think you had taken Maximus to all the right places within the first 5000 Kms. It must be feeling at home. The Leh trip must have been the icing on the cake.
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:31   #73
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So what happens when the central diff. is locked. How power is transferred to the wheel in the case when 1 front wheel and 1 rear wheel is in air. Is this taken care by the central Torsion LSD ?
If one wheel in front and one wheel in rear is in the air, you are truly stuck. Locking center diff won't help. Same will be the case with any 4x4 vehicle with open front and rear diffs. You need either diff locks or LSD in rear or front diffs to get out of such a situation. For example, Safari 4x4 (rear LSD) or Gurkha (manual diff lock) can get out of it.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:02   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Jabalpur - Bedadghat - Baghuwar
Hi Columbus,
Great reading about your trips.
OT - In the first snap - is that you taking off ?!!

Wonderful learning about the TFort's behaviour in the HL/LL modes.
Thanks.

I had asked you a Q in the Leh part of the thread (15.2 KMPL-wallah) whether your accounting for the FE on the tankfull to tankfull basis or info spat out by the MID ?
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:20   #75
BHPian

[quote=columbus;2449644]Maximus's first long drive .. Tawa

December 2010

Odo reading : 500 kms

Tawa is a beautiful place near Itarsi. Its about 115 kms from Bhopal and takes about 3 hrs to reach there. There is a small dam whose reservoir forms the setting for some spectacular sunsets and sunrises.
The drive was great with third row seating coming handy since parents also went along with us. The AWD of the Fort is a boon on highways. You no longer have to worry when the right tyre goes down from the road while overtaking. No fishtailing nothing , confidence inspiring ride under such circumstances.

FE for the trip : 12.9 with AC on.

I cannot decide whether TAWA is indeed such a breathtaking place or your photography makes it out to be so beautiful!

Seriously What amazing Pix. The water body looks so serene and inviting.

Congrats on you T Fort! Happy miles.

Most Viewed