Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 19:01   #76
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
This is amazing to read.

Sir i think you had taken Maximus to all the right places within the first 5000 Kms. It must be feeling at home. The Leh trip must have been the icing on the cake.
Yes me and Maximus like to travel. Wish i could find more time ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
If one wheel in front and one wheel in rear is in the air, you are truly stuck. Locking center diff won't help. Same will be the case with any 4x4 vehicle with open front and rear diffs. You need either diff locks or LSD in rear or front diffs to get out of such a situation. For example, Safari 4x4 (rear LSD) or Gurkha (manual diff lock) can get out of it.

Thanks sir.
I heared that Fort comes with rear LSD and ESP in other markets. If so then uncle Toyoda decided to shortship the Fort to us without these essentials. Thats what i hate most when car manufacturers short ship on essential components when bringing it to India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Columbus,
Great reading about your trips.
OT - In the first snap - is that you taking off ?!!

Wonderful learning about the TFort's behaviour in the HL/LL modes.
Thanks.

I had asked you a Q in the Leh part of the thread (15.2 KMPL-wallah) whether your accounting for the FE on the tankfull to tankfull basis or info spat out by the MID ?
Oh no.. thats not me by any chance. I do have guts but not for this..

Sorry for the FE accounting part. I did tank full to tank full calculation 2 times. 1st time the MID was optimistic by 0.2. 2nd time it was optimistic by 0.25. So comapared it with your values and arrived at a correction figure of 0.2. After that never bothered with the TFTTF method.

So all the figures quoted by for FE are from MID with a correction of minus 0.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameer sultan View Post

I cannot decide whether TAWA is indeed such a breathtaking place or your photography makes it out to be so beautiful!

Seriously What amazing Pix. The water body looks so serene and inviting.

Congrats on you T Fort! Happy miles.
Thanks
All i can say that pictures don't do even half the justice to the actual scene. Its a wonderful place in winters.
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:00   #77
BHPian

Re: Toyota Fortuner. Name's Gladiator Maximus Decimus Meridus. And I am Good, Bad & U

I am not even going to kid myself. This is a vehicle I can never afford. Hats off to you for taking a bold decision us middle class people only dream of.

I hope the Fortuner serves you well.

That last picture of the Alto and the Fortuner really had me laughing.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:09   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

An inspiring thread. The way you planned the purchase, enlisting your wife's staunch support, the way you handle the A.S.S. issues with iron hand- they are learnings for each of us in those!

Thanks for completely unbiased in your review- I must confess the 'ugly' side of the T.Fort has always escaped me, starry eyed as I have been over the sheer brilliance of it. I hate a rattling vehicle and it's a great relief to me personally that my 5-year old Swift doesn't rattle (touch wood!); the Vento of course in another league build quality-wise and besides, still new.

I continue to be amazed by the FE figures T.Fort returns: you, Guderian, nilanjan all gleefully report 12+ and I have heard something similar from other friends who own the Fort as well. A running cost of 3.5 or so per km is fantastic, keeping in mind that I pay about twice that (10 kmpl @70/litre in the Vento, only slightly better in the Swift)!

This is an excellent thread and do keep posting.
Old 4th August 2011, 11:13   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post

1. Oh no.. thats not me by any chance. I do have guts but not for this..

2. Sorry for the FE accounting part. I did tank full to tank full calculation 2 times. 1st time the MID was optimistic by 0.2. 2nd time it was optimistic by 0.25. So comapared it with your values and arrived at a correction figure of 0.2. After that never bothered with the TFTTF method.

So all the figures quoted by for FE are from MID with a correction of minus 0.2.
Hi Columbus,
1. Oh - that is a real pity, really. It would have made a real good ad. material for Toyota with a tag line - " What TFort owners do - when not driving !"

2. Just to keep you informed - that Admiral's MID variation ranges from 0.25 - 0.50 KMPL. But now is sort of settling down at around 0.30 KMPL of difference. To clarify - the MID shows a higher reading by these figures or the T2T shows lower by these numbers !

Last edited by Guderian : 4th August 2011 at 11:19.
Old 4th August 2011, 14:35   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazing review Columbus and the pics from Tawa are simply amazing. Your Fortuner in the mud and fields in the village looks completely at home and is perfect for these elements!
I wish that urban cities were like this and we could enjoy nature like this.
Most of us end up having to contend with urban jungles like Gurgaon and Mumbai and the battles are more with traffic and road conditions!
Old 4th August 2011, 17:56   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by w0lf View Post
I am not even going to kid myself. This is a vehicle I can never afford. Hats off to you for taking a bold decision us middle class people only dream of.

I hope the Fortuner serves you well.
Thanks W0lf.

Dreams is what keeps us going. I am sure one day you will own it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
An inspiring thread.

Thanks for completely unbiased in your review- I hate a rattling vehicle and it's a great relief to me personally that my 5-year old Swift doesn't rattle (touch wood!); the Vento of course in another league build quality-wise and besides, still new.

I continue to be amazed by the FE figures T.Fort returns: !

This is an excellent thread and do keep posting.

Thanks for stopping by noopster.
Had these rattling issues come up after 5 years of use then i would have said fair enough. But it in a new vehicle it really pinches. Hope they dissappear under the Toyota "Self Healing program"... Yes the FE part has been the most delightlful. Drive with a light foot and it can return some eye popping figures.

Your Fraulein is certainly a looker and Admiral is a naughty boy...so keep an eye on her..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Columbus,
1. Oh - that is a real pity, really. It would have made a real good ad. material for Toyota with a tag line - " What TFort owners do - when not driving !"

2. Just to keep you informed - that Admiral's MID variation ranges from 0.25 - 0.50 KMPL. But now is sort of settling down at around 0.30 KMPL of difference. To clarify - the MID shows a higher reading by these figures or the T2T shows lower by these numbers !

1. HA...HA (I have exhausted my limit of 2 smilies so the haha..!)

2. Will do TFTF method again to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Amazing review Columbus and the pics from Tawa are simply amazing. Your Fortuner in the mud and fields in the village looks completely at home and is perfect for these elements!
I wish that urban cities were like this and we could enjoy nature like this.
Most of us end up having to contend with urban jungles like Gurgaon and Mumbai and the battles are more with traffic and road conditions!

Thanks Behemoth.
However i really envy you delhi guys. 8-10 hrs and you are in the Himalayas. Where as i have to first fight a war with Zillions of trucks on a potholed NH3.
I think its only taking out the time for a thing which we all love... travelling. Let me suggest a destination for the Yeti for starters ... Munsyari. Stunning drive, deep in the Kumaon Himalayas..!!
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 19:37   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestion Columbus! I also love to travel, but traffic on highways is really becoming a challenge. On the Nh 24 route, Delhi -Rampur stretch I have been stuck as long as 6 hr jams and distances which should take 4 hrs take as long as 10 hrs. I sometimes feel that we need convertible cars (car to helicopter!)
Old 5th August 2011, 19:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Your Fraulein is certainly a looker and Admiral is a naughty boy...so keep an eye on her..

2. HA...HA (I have exhausted my limit of 2 smilies so the haha..!)

3. Will do TFTF method again to check.
Hi Columbus,

1. Careful there - you are casting aspertions on the character of a man in uniform !

2. Don't laugh your guts away, answer me this - what is the latest on the search for the Workshop Manual ? Going by the state of affairs in the ASC - get this feeling that that will be our saviour to drive things. So please do spur your horses on this matter.

3. Thanks.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:50   #84
BHPian

What a thread!!! Thanks. Your thread has helped me make a decison to buy the Fortuner. WIll be making the booking soon
Old 19th December 2011, 09:37   #85
BHPian

15000 km update

ASC Horror story continues....

The 10k service was done after the Ladakh trip. The Alignment was done and i was told that the toe is out very slightly. After the Alignment i felt that the steering wheel was angled very slightly. I talked to mechanic at ASC and was told that this can happen when you adjust the toe. I did'nt bother to get it straight since it was very minor.

Now here is what happened at 15K.

I have taken the smile package in which Alignment and Balancing are done everytime. However with my past experience of balancing at ASC i asked them to "Check" only the Alignment since i am going on a 3K+ km road trip to Gujarat on 23rd.

I made it a point to stand on the shopfloor when the alignment was done. The mech. told that the toe was out "considerably" as shown on the computer screen. It puzzled me a bit since the machine was telling so i asked him to correct it. He corrected the toe and in doing so made my steering wheel tilt by a large degree. Later on i came to know that the steering wheel tilted because the MORON had not fixed the tool which clamps the steering wheel to the seat..
So now to bring the steering wheel straight the complete front AirBag assembly kit had to be taken out which INMO is very risky thing to do.!

OK things don't stop here. The CGT (Chief General Technician) takes a 2km test ride with me and declares that everything is fine and the alignment is perfect.
However i was not convinced and asked him to put the vehicle on the Alignment machine again. To my horror the machine is again showing the toe out by a considerable amount. So either my vechicle has some serious problem or the machine is not caliberated.!!
The printer is not working, the data is not saved in a nutshell a road side mechanic works better than these guys.

I for the first time blew my top. They have promised me to get the machine caliberated today and will give me a call today.

So now before going on a 3000 km road trip i have a vehicle with a completely screwed alignment...

I am just fed up with the ASC. My only problem is that i don't have an option.

Come to think of it ..of all the fort owners who have posted their reviews here

I am not happy with the ASC
Guderian is not happy.
Nilanjan is not happy.
Rahul is not happy.

And we represent a very small population of T fort owners. So much for the Q class !!! Pathetic..

Some more points..

1. Had taken an appointment and was there at sharp 10:00AM. Was promised the vehicle at 12:00. I finally got the vehicle at 6:30 in the evening that to with a screwed alignment.

2. The suspension makes squeaky noise sometimes when it goes over hump. They did'nt even bother to open
the front wheels and tighten the suspension bolts. Took a drive and declared that everything is OK. There was
another fort standing in ASC which also had similar noise so i had no option but to accept it.

3. The washing guys have a very dirty habbit of giving the underbody wash with the key jutting out of the door.
The water spray can easily go in the key and ruin the circuits. BTW a spare key costs 12K.

So my request to all the T fort owners. PLEASE PLEASE stand on the shopfloor and get the things done infront of you. This for your own pocket and vehicles health.

Last edited by columbus : 19th December 2011 at 09:51.
Old 19th December 2011, 09:51   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not happy.
Guderian is not happy.
Nilanjan is not happy.
Rahul is not happy.

And we represent a very small population of T fort owners. So much for the Q class !!! Pathetic..
This is really shocking to hear from a Toyota ASC! - Do take it up with Toyota directly let them know the ground reality.
They were supposed to be the benchmark for all other manufacturer's in terms of service standards. Such issues really put off a lot of owner's and can make the ownership experience unhappy. Sadly over the past 5-6 years, I have also seen a similar deteoration in all manufacturer's service levels in all the cars we have owned: Maruti, Ford, Honda, Hyundai and Skoda.. why is it that companies have just not given enough attention to the service experience and were more interested in selling cars rather than the overall ownership experience!
In reality, service is actually very profitable business for the auto manufacturers (even more than new car sales) and they generate quite a lot of profits from this business - if only they managed it better!

Regards,
Behemoth

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please avoid quoting an entire large post. It inconveniences our small screen & mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th December 2011 at 10:48.
Old 19th December 2011, 09:52   #87
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear your travails at the A$$. As I too have mentioned many times on many posts, Toyota A$$ has diminished considerably. As also mentioned by Herr' Generale', its better to get the alignment/balancing done outside by 3rd party, but that is not a forgivable sin for the T's Q-Class. Disappointing to say the least...
Old 19th December 2011, 10:21   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This is really shocking to hear from a Toyota ASC! - Do take it up with Toyota directly let them know the ground reality.
They were supposed to be the benchmark for all other manufacturer's in terms of service standards. Such issues really put off a lot of owner's and can make the ownership experience unhappy. Sadly over the past 5-6 years, I have also seen a similar deteoration in all manufacturer's service levels in all the cars we have owned: Maruti, Ford, Honda, Hyundai and Skoda.. why is it that companies have just not given enough attention to the service experience and were more interested in selling cars rather than the overall ownership experience!
In reality, service is actually very profitable business for the auto manufacturers (even more than new car sales) and they generate quite a lot of profits from this business - if only they managed it better!

Regards,
Behemoth
Thanks Behemoth.
I can take to Toyota directly but then i have to get the service here only. Its like "pani mein rah kar magar se bair". I have now made it a point to stand on the shop floor and get it serviced in front. Just waiting for the three year warranty period and then won't see their face for routine service.
I never faced these issue with Honda. In my 8 years of ownership it has never happened that i have asked a technical question and the answer as not satisfied me. Infact they go overboard to technically satisfy me.
Consider this .. In my last service of City i had the alignment done. Without even asked by me the alignment report print out was attached with the bill. This is what please a customer. This is what increases the confidence in ASC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Sad to hear your travails at the A$$. As I too have mentioned many times on many posts, Toyota A$$ has diminished considerably. As also mentioned by Herr' Generale', its better to get the alignment/balancing done outside by 3rd party, but that is not a forgivable sin for the T's Q-Class. Disappointing to say the least...
Yes truly disappointing. I have said again and i will say it again..Toyota ASCs have so far been dealing with Taxi drivers and Drivers of personal vehicles. They have worked on "breakdown maintenance" and not on "preventive maintenance". There vehilces are extremely good but getting ruined by the ASCs.

OH i have'nt finished on the full story of alignment. Here it goes..

The computer was showng that the caster and camber were also out marginally. I asked the mech to correct them. The mech says he does not touch them..!! I called the CGT and told him what is he saying to which the mech replied.. Saab main Maindra & Maindra (the "h" was silent ) mein 4 saal tha...aur jab bhi maine kisi gaadi ka caster camber adjust kiya to woh dikkat mein aa gaya..!!! I asked the CGT what is this nonsense to which he has no reply as to what should be done....

judge yourself in whose "capable" hands your vehicle is ...
Old 19th December 2011, 10:43   #89
SDP
Team-BHP Support

The A.S.S. experience with the alignment-balancing part is really bad. If they can not do such a simple job, it puts a big question on their ability to more complex jobs if needed.

If you have a choice of moving to a different service center, please do. Not that it would solve all problems instantaneously, but when you take your business to somewhere else, that sends a strong message (if they are listening).
Old 19th December 2011, 10:59   #90
Senior - BHPian

I can empathize with you. I got alignment done twice during the 20K service, the last time standing in front of them.

Regarding the squeaks - I was facing that problem but ut has reduced after the servicing. Seems that those vehicles that go over really rough roads, can develop the squeaks - but it should be a simple thing to fix e.g. by tightening something.

Me thinks the ASC folks are in a hurry to service as many vehicles as possible in a day, so quality suffers. Also, the situation is worse outside metros due to lack of talented and experienced personnel.

This time, I got someone from Toyota to call them to put added pressure to fix the starting issue properly. I will speak to him and convey the message that in the minds of the customers the Q USP is going down - and they need to fix it immediately.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 19th December 2011 at 11:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks