Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2011, 09:31   #46
BHPian

Re: My *new* Maruti Swift VDi, the first on Team-BHP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
As off now there are not engine vibration as the the earlier one, nor does it have noise in cabin. No vibs in the gear lever.
That is good to know. I just finished reading the Overdrive road trip cum comparison of the new swift with fabia, punto, polo and the liva. They drove from Udaipur in Rajasthan to Udaipur in Tripura and the Swift came out on tops. Looks like a really good "new car" that kept the best bits of the old.
Old 30th August 2011, 09:58   #47
BHPian

Congrats Dinar! Thanks for the detailed photos too.

The Front overhang and the bigger headlight from some angle looks good and not so good from some angle (at least for me & nothing to argue). The short mini look earlier was sharper while this is elegant. Now I think People cant change the roof shade and give it a cooper look Maybe?
Old 30th August 2011, 10:05   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is no OE head unit or speakers, It was put at the dealer. My mother wanted something right away, "YOU CAN PUT WHAT EVER YOU WANT LATER" were the exact words.
My error ; I was looking at the spec sheets of the Swift and the Altis by opening two sessions ; mixed up specs of the Altis J and the Swift vxi/vdi

Anyways,you have an aftermarket audio which would sound way better than stock ; enjoy
Old 30th August 2011, 15:22   #49
BHPian

Congrats Dinar !!! The new VDI looks even better. How's the ride quality after the long drive? What kind of FE are you getting?
Old 30th August 2011, 15:37   #50
BHPian

Is it me or that the new swift seems to be having the rear bumper inline with the end? has become more Figo'ish wrt the back now.
More over the bumper does look big and covers a big area

I certainly am liking the new look considering that the old swift was a bit odd looking atleast to me.
Old 30th August 2011, 15:38   #51
BHPian

Waiting eagerly for your 100km drive report Dinar. It wouldn't be wrong to mention that I'm relying a lot on your review. Going to book a VDi the day after. So hoping to gather as many reviews and opinions as possible.
Old 30th August 2011, 21:18   #52
Senior - BHPian

Oh! How did I missed this one?

Many congratulations on getting the all new swift.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
Old 30th August 2011, 22:16   #53
BHPian

Dinar,

Nice car, Mate!!Looks much better and really improved. For once the cost cutting of Maruti is not obvious.The car is really desirable-not just drive-able.

How is the rear leg room? I had read that it would be at least 10 cms more than the outgoing swift.

Good that you got this sweetie so early.You must be getting a lot of envious stares.

It is really nice of you to post so many snaps-they are as wonderful as the car itself.

Enjoy the great ownership experience and drive safe.
Old 31st August 2011, 00:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Congrats Dinar on your new aquisition, what's the wait period for a new booking?
Nice pics and a very unbiased review of the car.
Thanks Hari, The booking period for the VDi is around6-8 months here in goa, don't know else where, and due to the issue at the Manesar Plant, this will increase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
Waiting eagerly for your 100km drive report Dinar. It wouldn't be wrong to mention that I'm relying a lot on your review. Going to book a VDi the day after. So hoping to gather as many reviews and opinions as possible.
The car is good, at the price, Miss the ABS option, but overall it is one heck of a car.
Today's drive was blessed as there was a light rainfall, and most the road was dry, so could actually assess the Tyre and suspension combo.
Suspension is one thing I can not stop writing about, never thought Maruti could do this to a production car, this setup is Best I have driven in this segment, in Diesel cars.It's tuned for enthusiastic driving.But on the other hand, cost cutting has given worst tyres for this car, one can turn in corner at speeds thanks to the suspension, but even a slightest touch on the brake pedal mid corner makes the car nervous , this is due to 2 reasons , skinny tyres and the tall profile of the same. I can not wait to replace these with better tyres in bigger diameter.
The AC cools the car quit quickly, but this again at ambient temperature hovering around 24-27 deg C, so can not actually comment on the efficiency.
Fuel efficiency also still not calculated, but looking at the way the needle is moving down, I thing it'll be close to what Maruti is advertising.
Total distance cover so far is around 330 KM and the needle has moved just below 1/4 of full tank and this is with 100% AC and parking with AC ON for more than 1.5 Hours from the day the tank was filled.
Stay tuned for more on the VDi experience.
dinar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 01:20   #55
BHPian

Thanks for the update Dinar. Nice to hear that Maruti has worked well on the new suspension. And yes, better rubber will eventually make this ride a really sweet one.

What opinion do you have regarding the newly tuned DDiS? Does the turbo lag bother much in city traffic?
Old 20th September 2011, 09:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjot1912 View Post
Thanks for the update Dinar. Nice to hear that Maruti has worked well on the new suspension. And yes, better rubber will eventually make this ride a really sweet one.

What opinion do you have regarding the newly tuned DDiS? Does the turbo lag bother much in city traffic?

Turbo lag is apparent in city, 2200 RPM for the trubo to kick in, and the engine sound a bit harsh when you push it to high rpm. But in really slow moving traffic, even with the turbo not spooled it's ok.

Mileage update, have done 1400KM and getting a figure of 17.9 for tank full to tank full calculation, this should go up a bit after 5000km. I think.
As for people wondering what's the fuel efficiency drop after tyre upgrade, According to Kiran's [moralfibre ] update, not much of a difference with stock tyres and upgrades to 185. a drop of .6KM/liter. that's nice
I am running stock [165] tyre and Kiran is running 185. both 14 inches.
dinar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 10:02   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Turbo lag is apparent in city, 2200 RPM for the trubo to kick in, and the engine sound a bit harsh when you push it to high rpm. But in really slow moving traffic, even with the turbo not spooled it's ok.
I agree with you Dinar ji. BTW, I pushed beyond 100 kmph and the noise gets a bit too much. Did you notice the thickness of the windows? Hows the traffic noise inside the cabin?

Quote:
Mileage update, have done 1400KM and getting a figure of 17.9 for tank full to tank full calculation, this should go up a bit after 5000km. I think.
As for people wondering what's the fuel efficiency drop after tyre upgrade, According to Kiran's [moralfibre ] update, not much of a difference with stock tyres and upgrades to 185. a drop of .6KM/liter. that's nice
I am running stock [165] tyre and Kiran is running 185. both 14 inches.
Wow, thats close for both of us. What does your average FE on MID show?
Old 20th September 2011, 16:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I agree with you Dinar ji. BTW, I pushed beyond 100 kmph and the noise gets a bit too much. Did you notice the thickness of the windows? Hows the traffic noise inside the cabin?

Wow, thats close for both of us. What does your average FE on MID show?
The noise at 100 -120 KMph [stock tyres so can not take it beyond that ] is annoying considering the levels it gives at just 20kmph lower.I have not notie the thickness of windows, is it thinner than last gen swift?
Traffic noise is well insulated in the cabin.
The MID showed 17.6 when the actual was 17.9, and even now it shows somewhere between 17.5-17.9 itself, which is close.
Some of my friends with older models are saying they get 21-23 in city without AC and with it drop to 18-21. So keeping the new engine tune by maruti in mind I am hoping to get at least similar figure is not more soon.
Old 20th September 2011, 17:06   #59
Senior - BHPian

A swift owners perspective

- The car has undergone some great changes. The rear looks far sharper and feels more close to i20 to me .
- The dash is fantastic and looks rich/richer.
- The interiors are feeling a class apart from the older version
- Excellent OVRMs that are not just looking great but are very big as well.
- Good they retained the colapsable OVRM.
- The car is definitely a great improvement over the previous generation.
- The lights have been moved to more inconvenient place. Driver has to litrally turn back and switch on the lights in case of some urgent needs. The light, lights well the interiors. Just the position is awkward.

On Space
- I drove a car with leather covers. For some reason i felt the seats are smaller compared to the older car and overall the car doesnt feel exactly bigger compared to the old car
- Noise is almost similar to the older swift

A great car became greater.
Old 26th September 2011, 15:38   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Test drove the new Swift and liked. We have also booked a similar white VDi. Waiting period is 4-5 months but we may get it earlier.

Most Viewed