Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 13:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Say hello to Pablo, my Silver Hyundai i20 Asta 1.4 AT

Thanks comfortablynumb, I'll do whatever I can to get rid of that badge so long as it doesn't end up damaging the paint job.
Old 3rd September 2011, 19:07   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Thanks Arvi

If this is Hyundai solving the AC issue, then I pity the poor souls that bought the i20 before me. Admittedly, I run the AC at 23.5°C with the blower at the lowest just to see how bad it can be so maybe I'm being overly harsh! I tried 18.5°C for a laugh today with the blower on 2 and it was a whole lot better.
Oh, that's bad. You run the AC at almost 24C with the lowest blower speed and then complain that its not cooling properly eh. Be a little fair and I am sure that the i20 will reward you.
Quote:
Thanks comfortablynumb, I'll do whatever I can to get rid of that badge so long as it doesn't end up damaging the paint job.
I just thought of telling that to you on seeing the pics. It just looks ridiculous. How do these morons manage to come up with something like this that just looks plain horrible and completely spoils the rear look of the car?
Old 3rd September 2011, 20:35   #18
BHPian

Congrats for the i20 Auto. I believe yours is the second one of the forum. Looks good in that Beige guise.
One query, Is the auto version available in all the variants or is it just the Asta?
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Oh, that's bad. You run the AC at almost 24C with the lowest blower speed and then complain that its not cooling properly eh. Be a little fair and I am sure that the i20 will reward you.
I wanted to see how bad it could be, and it could be pretty bad. I admitted that I was harsh, but I do feel it won't compare to class leading AC's such as the one in the Figo's. I'm going to run it much lower than normal just to see how powerful it can be though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Congrats for the i20 Auto. I believe yours is the second one of the forum. Looks good in that Beige guise.

One query, Is the auto version available in all the variants or is it just the Asta?
Thanks! Mine is the second? Didn't know anyone else had one...I know Platzdaturbo had one, but he sold it off. And it's a silver car, not beige. I now know just how bad my phone's camera really is :P

In the i20, the AT transmission is available only on the Asta as opposed to the i10 where it's available across a range of versions. I do wonder how much more it'd sell in a Sportz trim with less features and a much lower price, but that's just fantasy and conjecture really.
Old 3rd September 2011, 23:28   #20
BHPian

. My bad. When I had a look again, it is more of Silver than Biege.
I belive the Auto would sell more with the Sportz version provided the same is priced competitively.

BTW, your signature mentions of the Jazz as well. When is the delivery expected? It would be interesting to have a review of the cost down version. (Or is it just the margin cut?)
Old 4th September 2011, 07:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but I do feel it won't compare to class leading AC's such as the one in the Figo's.
. Its nowhere close to the competitors, one of the very few disadvantages of owning an i20.

By the way, did I suddenly notice a 'Booked: Honda Jazz' statement in your signature. When is that coming home? An i20 and Jazz sharing the same garage! That would be one hell of an comparo and just what many of us wanted and are waiting for. An unbiased ownership review of two of the best hatches in the country. Bring it on iliketurtles.
Old 4th September 2011, 09:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hehehe, I just booked that yesterday. I delayed it slightly more than I should have and Now I'm being told that a Diwali delivery is a possibility, but I'm not too fussed since the i20 is there for now. I'll still push for Diwali and put up a thread for that too
Old 4th September 2011, 10:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hehehe, I just booked that yesterday.
That's great buddy. You have waited for the right time to book the Jazz as all those who went ahead and bought the Jazz before its price correction are fuming with anger now. The Jazz is absolutely stunning for a hatchback and an one-to-one between the Jazz and i20 would serve as a real eye-opener.

BTW, is the Jazz for someone else in the family? Because both i20 and Jazz being premium hatches, I can't fathom one being used for city driving and the other for highway driving.
Old 4th September 2011, 15:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
BTW, is the Jazz for someone else in the family? Because both i20 and Jazz being premium hatches, I can't fathom one being used for city driving and the other for highway driving.
It's for my mum. There's too much of a tug of war going on for the i20, so the time is right for a second car and it's spacious, so it's perfect for her to be chauffeured around in.

Come to think of it, I'll tell my friends I bought one for the city and one for the highway, just to see their reactions Thanks for the idea.
Old 5th September 2011, 21:51   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on your buy iliketurtles.
The car is a great buy. I have a 2 month old i20 CRDI ASTA and am totally loving it. Its giving me a great experience. Extremely smooth for a Diesel Engine. Also had the first servicing done today. Waiting to hear more from you.

PS: I feel so sorry about your MODI Hyundai Badge.. It totally kills the rear look of the car. I really wonder how these people come up with some flowery dream and then implement it..!!
Old 6th December 2011, 20:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Yayyyyyyy update time

Just a few updates and thoughts as I start to approach the 2nd free servicing for the car. It's done about 4.4xx KMS so far and it drives like a dream. A dream with a transmission that takes some time to catch up to my speed of thought, but a dream nonetheless.
  • The infamous steering rattle so talked about with the i20 has not manifested itself with me. I have driven over some rather terrible roads, and bar something in the left hand corner of the car (near the co-passenger) nothing rattles at all. Touch wood, long may it remain that way.
  • The AC, which I had cribbed about ever so slightly (don't correct me, I know I was rather critical) does cool quite well on the whole. I say on the whole because I sit in the front, I haven't a clue how it is at the back. I have to sometimes adjust the ACC to turn it down a notch or two when a blast of cold air gets too much for my liking. But no one in the rear seat has ever complained of a lack of cooling, so that's good, right? Right.
  • The car has got a few scratches (my mum and I in jugalbandi), and I fully intend to get those fixed this weekend. Yes, I've been very busy, thank you for asking.
  • I find the rear space a bit woeful, but maybe that's just me. I'm about 5" 11, so when I extend the seat to my comfort, the guy behind me gives me gaalis in wholesale. Just thought you might like to know that if you're intending to lug family and friends around and were wondering about spaciousness. You're welcome.
  • Bluetooth is a boon. True story. And it works flawlessly. If you're a talker even when at the wheel, BT is a must for you. I'm glad Hyundai bundles it with the OEM ICE setup.

And now that the hors d'oeuvres are out of the way, on to the main course.

That 'F' word.
Fuel. Kitna deti hai. That main concern we all love to harp on. Now make sure you're seated when you read this, especially if you have a weak heart, but mainly because you might fall off your chair laughing at me. Either way, you. Seat. Now.

Good. To give you the short version, we had a driver (from hereinafter referred to as le pilot) to begin with. Mum needed the car, it was the only one in the house, and I couldn't leave it behind at all, so le pilot would shuttle between mum and I.

Le pilot was a bit of a laidback, perenially something chewing sort. But behind the wheel he was a bit of a daredevil. "Have car, will drive the wheels off it" sort. But he was polite(ish), and so we persisted with him. With le pilot at the wheel, the car gave an overall mileage of a stunning 7.8x KMPL to begin with (at the first tankful). Le pilot would then proceed to outdo himself, returning stunning figures as much as 8 KMPL while behind the wheel. Truly phenomenal, a god amongst men.

2 things to note:

a) My normal route is carried out in bumper to bumper traffic for approximately 85-90% of my route (Powai to Versova via SEEPZ), so these figures barely had any highway running at all. The (generous) 10-15% leeway I have given was when I could open up a little bit down Guru Hargovindji Road heading towards Juhu Circle, and even then that barely qualifies as highway conditions. So in my estimation, that mileage was derived in what I believe to be purely city conditions. Nonetheless, appalling

b) While le pilot was obviously knowledgable about the ways of driving, his was a manual driving style that was poorly suited to driving an AT transmission car. He was overly aggressive and just generally belligerent at the wheel. This car calls for a more measured approach. Measured, unfortunately, is not a word le pilot was acquainted with.

Sometime back, we let le pilot walk off into the sunset (read, he was let go). Of course, that meant yours truly (moi) took over the wheel totally, leaving mum in the lurch at times(meaning we need a second car desperately now, more on that in another thread). I'm a much more sedate and light footed driver than le pilot ever was, and my light footed style saw that average improve considerably over the last two tankfuls. My last three tankfuls have given me 8.8x, 9.2x and now 10.0x KMPL. That's pretty damn good in my opinion. I could perhaps eke out a bit more, let's see about that.

If any of you guys want to ask anything specific, fire away. Until then, ciao.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 6th December 2011 at 20:41. Reason: Typos, begone!
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2011, 09:10   #27
Senior - BHPian

First of all, excellent write up! Very few in here has such witty writing skills, hence went through your entire (read: lengthy) experience Liked your signature too!

Go over the i20 hidden treats thread and see if anything in there satisfies your needs.

Since your write up was very detailed (read: lengthy :P), I honestly dont have any questions for you, except for maybe how much your 2 servicing bills costed?
Old 7th December 2011, 09:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Ravan, liked your movie a lot but I thought the ending was cliched. Thanks for appreciating the silliness that is this thread

Anyhow, the first servicing cost me nothing bar a set of expensive aviators I had kept in the floe box :( second servicing is due in a week or so, will update this thread with the breakdown of any possible costs

Thanks for dropping by!
Old 7th December 2011, 11:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
The car has got a few scratches (my mum and I in jugalbandi), and I fully intend to get those fixed this weekend.

My last three tankfuls have given me 8.8x, 9.2x and now 10.0x KMPL. That's pretty damn good in my opinion. I could perhaps eke out a bit more, let's see about that.
Just stumbled upon this excellent write up. The FE is actually good, considering your route. Getting 10 kmpl on the Seepz route is brilliant.

Also,where are you planning to get the scratches removed from? One month of ownership, and the Mumbai Municpal Garbage truck kindly consented to open my Khata and left a true work of art of a scratch so am scouting around to get it fixed.
Old 7th December 2011, 11:57   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey hey, how you doing Saurabh! Yup, Mighty pleased with that last figure, hope to go one better soon, fingers crossed

Sorry to hear of the scratch Saurabh. Cuts like a knife, know how bad that can feel irrespective of how big/small the scratch is.

I got the numbers of two independent workshops from the forum, one's nearer Powai lake while the other is in chandivali. Might just drop in at a fellow BHP'ians office to check out the quality of the latters work since it's said he's a reasonably priced option.

My office is at versova, so I might just check out this garage opp Banana Leaf called AS Motor Works as well. Family in and around the area trust him with these kinda jobs, so he might be worth a punt. Perhaps you could check them out too since they're conveniently located for you!
iliketurtles is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks