Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2011, 15:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: An Extensive Report of My VW Polo 1.6

You only 18?? You are one level headed petrol-head, if ever there was one!!
And excellent pics too. Happy motoring
Did the Fabia 1.6 enter your mind before buying?
mallumowgli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2011, 16:00   #32
BHPian

Really top notch review....the guys at all the auto magazines can really learn a lesson from you,& congratulations on your love :-)
milu2fast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 12:40   #33
DNS
BHPian

Great Review RTM, Congrats on the car. i know my oppinion was different, but its your car, and it must make you happy, and thats all that matters. i'm glad you went with your heart and not your mind. Looking forward to a drive.

I have 1 more recomendation (i know you sick of them), put softer compound tires on. these apollo's are a bit too hard IMO. and once you learn your car, slightly softer tires will not bother you at all, even when driving hard. Its worth saving your suspention.

Congrats again,
DNS
DNS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 16:57   #34
BHPian

Nice and detailed review RTM. I know how much love you have for this car since i too had the same love. I have recently purchased my POLO 1.6 Silver 2 weeks back. Car is great to drive and rock solid.

By the way do you hear some sort of small sound(kind of very low vibrating sound) coming from the bonet when you try to accelerate after gear change. It will be there just for few seconds. I started hearing this only after i stopped listening to the music.
vishnu.csk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 17:48   #35
BHPian

Congrats buddy..I am pretty much on the verge of buying a hatch myself. Performance is pretty much what is priority for me, and the Polo 1.6 was right up there in my list. However the glaring list of omissions has left me disappointed. no steering mounted controls like you mentioned, No auto roll up for the power windows( not even for the drive which is shameful), no buttons to operate the rear power windows, no USB. Now if you compare this to the Fabia 1.6, which with the same engine is not only 20k cheaper but also has more equipment than its cousin from Wolfsburg. However i find it very difficult to swallow its looks. The recent price reduction for the Jazz has got me tempted. It wont give me the performance of the Polo, but then i have my souped up Baleno for that( which i was planning to sell in case i get the 1.6 polo). But since there are no options its mostly going to be the Jazz with the Baleno staying.
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2011, 23:31   #36
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 17th September 2011 at 02:36.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 17th September 2011, 00:48   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanjit View Post
An excellent writeup,congratulations for your new ride.Polo is definitely a very eye catching car on the road ,I personally prefer the red it is just too hard to miss on the road am looking forward to the day when I get to possess one.
Wish you happy driving.
I agree with you that red looks terrific, possibly even better than white! However I had decided some time ago that my first car, along with most of the others I will own in the future will be white. The finish of the red paint scheme is striking and looks stunning especially when wet. I hope yours comes soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
1. They look any day better than those unlawful fancy number plates.

2. Livon fabric are a dirt magnet, awaiting pictures of your new seat covers.

3. Agreed. We really had a hard time with this issue. We then got a windscreen treatment done. The guy initially used a clay bar before using a DA polisher after applying some compound. In a matter of about 2 hours both front and rear windscreens looked like new, completely crystal clear.
Thank you, I will try something like that soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Congrats on you Polo 1.6! One of the most powerful petrol hatch in the market. You review is very well written and your attention to detail is brilliant your thread definitely deserves a 5 star rating.
Can you pot some interior pics with the lighting sans the flash ? Want tot get an idea how it looks at night when lit up
I will take some pictures of the interior at night when lit up tomorrow itself, and will upload them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
You only 18?? You are one level headed petrol-head, if ever there was one!!
And excellent pics too. Happy motoring
Did the Fabia 1.6 enter your mind before buying?
Yes I am 18. Thank you!

Yes the Fabia 1.6 did come to mind initially, but I never really looked into it. You might wonder why, considering it is better equipped and runs the same engine. My answer to that would primarily be since:

- Skoda After Sales is terrible (as we all know). This was the main reason; I just didn't want to bear the risk of atrocious support.
- It is an older car. Since I plan to drive this car for at least 5 years, I would not want to purchase a car that would be phased out and replaced halfway through my ownership. This would also affect the resale value.
- It just doesn't attract me visually - the exterior design is anything but sharp or attractive, and the interior is boring.
- It lacks the sportiness and youthfulness of the Polo.
- My initial inquiries about the car were not met with well. I would never get called back with answers to my queries and information that I requested. I would only get calls asking me when I would like to book the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNS View Post
Great Review RTM, Congrats on the car. i know my oppinion was different, but its your car, and it must make you happy, and thats all that matters. i'm glad you went with your heart and not your mind. Looking forward to a drive.

I have 1 more recomendation (i know you sick of them), put softer compound tires on. these apollo's are a bit too hard IMO. and once you learn your car, slightly softer tires will not bother you at all, even when driving hard. Its worth saving your suspention.

Congrats again,
DNS
Thanks. You were a great source of help during all this. I finally did not go with what you suggested, but that doesn't mean I didn't cherish all the advice. It's just that circumstances changed a lot of things (as you know).

A tyre upgrade was considered, but as a new driver I will not drive "hard" as such for a few months/years at least. So therefore it would be a waste at this stage. Let the first set of tyres remain stock, and when the time is right I will no doubt look for a better set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnu.csk View Post
Nice and detailed review RTM. I know how much love you have for this car since i too had the same love. I have recently purchased my POLO 1.6 Silver 2 weeks back. Car is great to drive and rock solid.

By the way do you hear some sort of small sound(kind of very low vibrating sound) coming from the bonet when you try to accelerate after gear change. It will be there just for few seconds. I started hearing this only after i stopped listening to the music.
Congratulations, it looks like we are experiencing the same excitement together.

No I have not heard what you describe. Or well I have not noticed it at least. If you could describe in greater detail what it sounds like, I will listen carefully the next time I shift gears and accelerate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Congrats buddy..I am pretty much on the verge of buying a hatch myself. Performance is pretty much what is priority for me, and the Polo 1.6 was right up there in my list. However the glaring list of omissions has left me disappointed. no steering mounted controls like you mentioned, No auto roll up for the power windows( not even for the drive which is shameful), no buttons to operate the rear power windows, no USB. Now if you compare this to the Fabia 1.6, which with the same engine is not only 20k cheaper but also has more equipment than its cousin from Wolfsburg. However i find it very difficult to swallow its looks. The recent price reduction for the Jazz has got me tempted. It wont give me the performance of the Polo, but then i have my souped up Baleno for that( which i was planning to sell in case i get the 1.6 polo). But since there are no options its mostly going to be the Jazz with the Baleno staying.
If performance is your greatest priority, these little features here and there should not be a deal breaker for you. Yes, even I would have liked to have all that (who doesn't want extra equipment), but somewhere one has to find a compromise. Going by your priority, I suggest you rather compromise on equipment rather than performance. Stick with the Polo 1.6 or Fabia 1.6.If equipment is your priority and performance doesn't matter, only then will the Honda Jazz be a better bet (don't get me wrong, it is still a decent performer).
Old 17th September 2011, 01:26   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_8055 View Post
A tyre upgrade was considered, but as a new driver I will not drive "hard" as such for a few months/years at least. So therefore it would be a waste at this stage. Let the first set of tyres remain stock, and when the time is right I will no doubt look for a better set.

Congrats on the car. Get the Vkool K37, itll look good for sure.

For the part in bold - yeah right, maybe a month or two max, after that you will drive it the way our other friends drive their Polos.

Also you will regret not upgrading the tyres a few months down the line.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2011, 11:21   #39
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your great purchase of one of the hotter hatches. A very honest review and details of your experiences.

I feel sad that in spite of so much competition, so much choice, sales experiences are so poor. Especially in Mumbai, if one is made to wait, it is simply unacceptable.
sandeep108 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2011, 16:36   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtm_8055 View Post

Congratulations, it looks like we are experiencing the same excitement together.

No I have not heard what you describe. Or well I have not noticed it at least. If you could describe in greater detail what it sounds like, I will listen carefully the next time I shift gears and accelerate.

Its kind of difficult to describe it. Probably just check if you are able to hear it when go out the next time or i am not sure if this is something that can mentioned as a fault
Old 18th September 2011, 22:44   #41
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. The VW Polo 1.6 used to be my dream car as well (until petrol skyrocketed to Rs.70+).

It is a truly brilliant machine. Looks, performance, handling. It has everything.

However your description of your experience with the dealers and sales people has given me a horrible impression of the VW Brand. This combined with Skoda after sales service horror stories, has ensured that I will never buy any car associated with VAG.

My personal feelings about the VW Group aside, I wish you best of luck with your new car, and hope it gives you many trouble free years of running.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 01:02   #42
BHPian

Brilliant Review!. Congratulations on your new set of Wheels. I saw the Polo a few weeks ago in the showroom and noticed that the visibility from the rear view was quite awkward. Though the polo i saw was standing indoors, do you have issues with rear visibility while driving, esp with the headrests?
Vijayraj1890 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 15:25   #43
BHPian

Very good review RTM - unbiased and eminently readable. It covered everything a potential 1.6 buyer needs to know. This was going to be my next car, until Honda made Jazz a production car rather than a museum piece The new pricing is very tempting. But if I keep reading reviews like yours, I may defect to the Polo brigade yet!!!

Quote:
The wipers are not very effective. The washers just shoots 2 jets of fluid that collect as blobs on the windscreen, which are then spread around by the wipers.
I did see this issue being highlighted by other 1.6 owners. A suggested fix was to adjust the nozzles. Apparently that will solve the problem.
DeepChat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 19:07   #44
BHPian

Great work @rtm, I am working on my recent acquisition & your thread just gave me the direction necessary !

BTW on of your pics showed an average of 9.9 Kms/Lt has that improved now ?
90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 17:18   #45
BHPian

A lill OT here: Is there even a wildest slightest chance of getting a Polo 1.6 TDi with the Vento's engine plonked in for India. I believe its surely a plug and play.

it would a history repeating just like our good ol' Getz CRDI.

Oh what a car it would be.... Sigh!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks