Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 16:29   #1

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.

Hello My Fellow Team BHPians,

After a 40day wait, (which literally seemed like a 40years to me), I finally got my car delivery from Continental Hyundai - Mulund W (L.A. Motors) in Mumbai on 20.11.2011; it’s a Black 2011 Hyundai I-20 Asta Diesel, with a 5-speed MT! Car Pictures are inserted at the end!
(Prior to this, I used to drive a silver Indica v2 Turbo Diesel which I don’t intend to sell it...yet!)

Since my car delivery 10days ago, I've done a little over 490 kms (and I loved every mm. of it! ), but you can deduct around 25kms from that count, since it showed that in the odometer when I first fired-up my car at the showroom to drive it home!

It’s apparently got a top-speed of about 180 kmph, however, I’ve not dared to go more than 80 kmph which is a common analogy followed by many until the First servicing.

I’d also like to tell you guys how my selection process was, between which cars, and Why i-20? To start things off, I considered classifying popular cars in the market today (that I like) as per their class, as per the best of my knowledge, understanding and practicality:

Standard Hatchbacks:
-Tata Indica and Indica Vista
(although the New “sedan class”, ZX variant is very good, way better than current Tata Hatches, however considering the overall factors, it falls under this category!)
-Hyundai i-10, Santro, Eon
-Chevrolet Spark, Beat
-Ford Figo
-Honda Brio
-Toyota Etios Liva
-Fiat Punto
-Maruti Suzuki Swift, Alto, Wagon R

Premium Hatchbacks:
-Hyundai I-20
-Honda Jazz
-Fiat Grande Punto
-Volkswagen Polo
-Skoda Fabia
-Nissan Micra

And..Even a Few Sedans:
-Tata Manza ELAN
-Toyota Etios
-Swift Dezire
-Volkswagen Vento
-Hyundai Verna
-Honda City
-Ford Fiesta

* My parameters for buying my Second Car were:
It had to be Diesel, Within a Budget of ₹ 9L, excellent interior Space, great exterior & interior build-quality, awesome equipment list, good ride-quality & power and fuel efficiency.

So, based on all the above parameters most of the cars were eliminated automatically. The ones left for Final consideration were:

- Hyundai I-20 Asta Diesel – The One which I felt has the perfect balance Overall.

- Swift ZDI – Excellent ride but not much in terms of equipment list, almost average interior quality
- New Polo Highline Diesel – Not much in terms of equipment list, but the suspensions is superb, best in class and so is the build-quality
- Fiat Grande Punto - Excellent Ride (the suspensions are awesome), but noisy cabin and not as powerful as I-20, average build-quality.
- Volkswagen Vento Highline Diesel – Soon realised that it’s out of my budget, but still not much in terms of equipment list, although it’s a fun car to drive
- Hyundai Verna Diesel – Simply out of my budget, excellent car with great equipment list, great linear power delivery, but I-20 was surprisingly much more spacious
- Tata Vista ZX Quadrajet (the “sedan class”) – Surely the roomiest of the Lot in terms of cabin space, build-quality better than its prequels but still not at par with the polo or the I-20.

Now, about my Black Babe!!

Here's a rather short list of goodies provided to me by the dealer:

- Mud Flaps
- Floor Mats
- Car Cover

In conjunction to this, I also got all four tires (and they're Apollo alloys nevertheless), along-with the steering-wheel and my car keys absolutely for Free too!!
Pardon my magnanimity, but I'm very unhappy that I didn't get a good deal on my car that usually costs more than ₹ 8L on-road!

Furthermore, for those who think there’s no waiting period for Hyundai i-20 diesel, well you’ll be wrong in assuming that, much like I was! Yea, that's right! There was a 40day waiting period only for a 'Diesel' i-20 since the sales guy reckons that the petrol models are more in-demand; however, ironically enough I didn't even get Any Discounts on my Asta Diesel, whereas in the Petrol mod, you also get 200lts. of free fuel coupons in conjunction to the assured Two-day car-delivery, along-with a further cash discount of 10k, free insurance and adding 'fuel to fire' (pun intended!), even a corporate discount of 3k for multinational employees!

Although I did manage to get a great deal on the car-loan and insurance, the full-details of this is shared soon enough.

Now, pertaining to the Pros & Cons of the Car, here’s a detailed write-up on that:

Pros:
- Amazing Build Quality and a stunning looking Car; great aesthetics, exteriors and interiors!
- 1.4 CRDI Pulls like a Horse on steroid-overdose; no turbo-lag whatsoever but it’s best pick-up comes from after the 3rd gear.
- Extremely responsive and a well-tuned engine
- Very smooth and precise gear-shifts; it also feels very sporty, yet professional!
- I do not know what Hyundai has done, but I felt the steering is great and the feed-back is awesome in the city and at higher speeds which in my case until now is 80kmph! (Lol). But seriously, the ‘light/ dead’ feel of the steering at higher speeds has been resolved; well, at least in the case of my car!
- Great Equipment list, fully loaded with a pack of goodies. This indeed is the best car in the class pertaining to equipment list that’s loaded in this!
- Very reliable brand, with great after-sales and dealer network. (as told to me by many!)

Cons:
- The Suspensions is will bob you around on bad roads.
- Weak Horns and Head-lights.
- No freebies or discounts with the diesel variants of the car.
- Sometimes, when I’m on a neutral at a signal and when the light’s green when I want to quickly put it in the 1st gear to take off, it doesn’t fall in the right spot. I mean, I ain’t daft nor am I an amateur, so I can assure you that I’m not a wobbly gear-shifter, however when I fiddle with about two times it then falls in the right spot, i.e. the 1st gear!
(Please advise me if this happens on all New cars, or is it specific to me only. Moreover, this happens like twice for every 10 stops I make!)

Additional Accessories added by me to the Car:

1.Original Hyundai Manufactured Leather Seat Covers, custom-made for I-20:
₹6,700 + ₹500 labour charge for fixed fitting. Done by Hyundai service-men.
2. Garware Cool-Vision scratch-proof sun-film for the front, and Llumar Silver series sunfilm for sides and rear (The latter was fixed by the Hyundai guys):
₹1600 and ₹1900 respectively (all costs incl. of Labour)
3. Skoda Dual Horns:
₹700 incl. of labour
4. Phillips 100/90 Headlights:
₹750 incl. of wiring and labour charges
5. AutoCop Reverse Parking Sensor:
₹2900 incl. of labour charges
6. Pioneer 240W Oval Woofers in the Back:
₹2410 incl. original ply-wood stand for the speakers, wiring and labour charges
7. Full Floor Black Soft Plubber (a mix of Plastic & Rubber) Floor Matting:
₹950 incl. labour charges
8. Car Perfume from Concept:
₹250
9. Cost for personalised car number:
₹5000 incl. of agent commission
10. Car Vacuum Cleaner:
₹1390

Cost Summary

Total Cost of Additional Accessories: ₹25,310
Total Cost of Car Incl. of Insurance: ₹811,366

Total Cost of Car Ownership: ₹836,676

Enjoy The Pics!!!
(clicked from my blackberry bold 9900)
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112000540.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800550.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800557.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800558.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800560.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800567.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800570.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800571.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800572.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800573.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800574.jpg

My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.-img2011112800576.jpg

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Only 2 smileys per post. Please read our rules in the Announcements section.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2011 at 15:17.
Ram R. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 19:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: My New Black Babe: The Hyundai I-20 Asta 1.4 CRDI.

Congratulations on your black babe. Nice writeup and uber cool pics. I experienced a deja vu after looking at your pics. You'll certainly enjoy the ride.

Regarding the 1st gear shifting, I haven't faced this problem. Wait for some more time and if the problem still persists, get it rectified during 1st service. Get a Jopasu car duster ASAP which is a boon for the owners of black beauties for keeping it dust and scratch free.

This thread may be of interest to you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ps-tricks.html

Update the thread with FE and other statistics. Drive this car sedately and you can expect wonderful FE figures. Wishing many more happy and safe miles with her.

Last edited by guyfrmblr : 30th November 2011 at 19:56.
guyfrmblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 19:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ram, congrats on your i20! Nice to see a car in black as very few dre to pick up one mainly due to maintenance.

The i20 makes perfect sense as a family car, decent legroom at the back and good dynamics on the highway for the speeds you'll do.

Wish you many safe miles with your car!

PS: Are you sure you want the 'got bhp' sticker where you've stuck it ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 30th November 2011 at 19:53.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 01:08   #4

Hi Ram,

your car looks really gorgeous. I am planning to buy an i 20 diesel. Could you tell me about the fuel economy of the car, what mileage you are getting. Thanks
AmitKhatana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 09:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your buy Please go through the i20 Tips and tricks thread and activate the auto locking feature. It will come handy.

Can you tell me what is the function of the button with the circle on it on the steering wheel? Is it for cycling through the MID on the dashboard or on the speedometer?

The "Got BHP?" sticker seems a bit out of place though.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 11:23   #6

[/quote]PS: Are you sure you want the 'got bhp' sticker where you've stuck it ?[/quote]

Hey Thanks for the wishes man!
Yea, about the sticker, you got that right mate! :P.
I intended to stick that exactly in the middle, guess its an inch off-course from where it was originally intended to be. I couldn't find the heart to remove it (since it was really beautifully stuck), and re-align the sticker.
Does it look bad though? :-/

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your buy Please go through the i20 Tips and tricks thread and activate the auto locking feature. It will come handy.

Can you tell me what is the function of the button with the circle on it on the steering wheel? Is it for cycling through the MID on the dashboard or on the speedometer?

Hey raVan,

Thanks for your wishes mate.
Yea, about the sticker, I agree that it's an inch off-course from where it was originally intended to be (right in the middle). :-P
But, I couldn't find the heart to remove and re-align the sticker, once it was really beautifully stuck.

So you said "out of place", did that imply "not in the exact center" or that meant "not to have stuck it at the front"?

In either case..does it look bad though? :-/.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKhatana View Post
Hi Ram,

your car looks really gorgeous. I am planning to buy an i 20 diesel. Could you tell me about the fuel economy of the car, what mileage you are getting. Thanks

Thanks Amit, precisely why I've named her a 'Black-Babe'; she's a hottie, aint she? . I'd say i-20 diesel is a great choice, but as I've already referred to in my quote, don't expect much discounts on the car; unless I've been duped by the dealer and/ or you get extremely lucky on that front!

About the FE, well it's always a fact that your car's FE increases around 30% once the first servicing has been done, however mine at present gives me around 17.5kmpl and mine is a 50-50 mix of city v/s highway driving. Another thing I'd like to add is, I was very apprehensive about many a comments on the AC Cooling front prior to buying the car, however I'd safely surmise that the AC cooling effect is as good as any-other car; infact, I loved it. I'm from mumbai, wherein the temp outside is 36 degrees, and the AC when set at 21degrees, with Auto Mode does an awesome job! Just remember to switch ON that little 'curved arrow' signed button, below the AC ON button, that stands for circulation; I guess may people don't do it properly, hence the complaint. I can write on this in more detail if you wish!

Cheers man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Congratulations on your black babe. Nice writeup and uber cool pics. I experienced a deja vu after looking at your pics. You'll certainly enjoy the ride.

Regarding the 1st gear shifting, I haven't faced this problem. Wait for some more time and if the problem still persists, get it rectified during 1st service. Get a Jopasu car duster ASAP which is a boon for the owners of black beauties for keeping it dust and scratch free.

This thread may be of interest to you:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ps-tricks.html

Update the thread with FE and other statistics. Drive this car sedately and you can expect wonderful FE figures. Wishing many more happy and safe miles with her.

Duu..uude!! Thanks a million for the Jopasu duster advise; I've already ordered one from their Pune shop on e-bay; and that 'tips & tricks thread'!!

I owe you a treat for that bro! :-D

Cheers!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Read our rules here before posting any further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2011 at 14:58. Reason: back to back posts... merged
Old 1st December 2011, 13:27   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Ram, hearty congratulations on your purchase of the pocket rocket! Looking gorgeous in black.

Regarding the gear shift problem,are you telling that there is a slight resistance in slotting into first gear the time you start moving?
Try this- switch on the engine,press the clutch fully and slot into first gear.Without releasing the clutch,bring back to neutral and again slot into first gear.Make sure you never release the clutch during this entire process.Tell me if the shift is smooth the second time you engaged it.If required repeat a few more times,but never release the clutch.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:42   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmitKhatana View Post
Hi Ram,

An I20 typically gives one around 15-16 Kmpl in Mumbai driving conditions. I get that average with full AC on my daily commute from Dadar to Malad. A full tank gives a driving range of about 700+ Kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post

There is no advanced MID on the I20 akin to the Polo which gives real time mileage or distance to empty etc. There are 2 trip meters & 1 counter for how long the engine has been on.

The button in question here is to toggle between the various modes on the ICE namely - CD, USB, Bluetooth, FM, AM 1, AM 2 & Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram R. View Post
Hello My Fellow Team BHPians,

- Sometimes, when I’m on a neutral at a signal and when the light’s green when I want to quickly put it in the 1st gear to take off, it doesn’t fall in the right spot. I mean, I ain’t daft nor am I an amateur, so I can assure you that I’m not a wobbly gear-shifter, however when I fiddle with about two times it then falls in the right spot, i.e. the 1st gear!
(Please advise me if this happens on all New cars, or is it specific to me only. Moreover, this happens like twice for every 10 stops I make!)
Ram, this is a issue that I have been facing on my car too albeit not so many times. It happens rarely but, it does happen. I guess it happens due to the reverse & 1st gear being in the same slot just requiring us to pull the small lever below the knob. Usually it helps me if I go back to nuetral & push back into 1st.

I had a question for you, there used to be a gear shift indicator on the ODO display in the earlier model of the car, I saw it in my test drive car however, it was not in my car. Wanted to know if you got it on yours. Also, is your a 6 Gear or 5 Gear coz i heard from few people on this forum that you could order the 6 Gear for some bucks extra.

Which garware film are you using, the amount you quoted are really inexpensive. I got Garware Ice Cool metal dispersed films for 7.5K for all windows & the windshield ?

The AC is good only if the vents are facing to your face but, I assure you the cabin doesn't get as cool as the temp displayed on the unit. Try facing the vents away from your body & see if you feel cool.
90BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 13:45   #9
BHPian

Hearty congratulations for this beast Ram. The car looks damn hot in black color!! I am sure you will love every mm of driving it. Refrain yourself from ripping her (i know its irresistible, but still) before you run in her properly.
Do you have any idea why Hyundai has come back to 5+1 MT from 6+1 MT? Also, how did you order Team BHP stickers? I tried buying it from the stores section of this site using a debit card, but the transaction got canceled twice.
Drive Safe
Old 1st December 2011, 13:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey congrats on the car. I have an ASTA petrol and I have the same 1st gear problem. Got it checked during 2nd service but it was of no help. The service engineer said "sir these gears are hydraulic Blah blah blah/......so we cant do anything...just re-depress the clutch and do it all over again". And then i got pissed off.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hey raVan,

Thanks for your wishes mate.
Yea, about the sticker, I agree that it's an inch off-course from where it was originally intended to be (right in the middle). :-P
But, I couldn't find the heart to remove and re-align the sticker, once it was really beautifully stuck.

So you said "out of place", did that imply "not in the exact center" or that meant "not to have stuck it at the front"?

In either case..does it look bad though? :-/.
Well, I was not exactly talking about it being right in the middle or something.

Secondly, to each his own If you like the sticker on the front bumper, keep it there. Personally, I would have preferred it to be on the sides or back.

Either ways, definitely its not looking bad.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:55   #12
BHPian

Hey Ram, congrats on your i20. I feel the i20 has one of the best blacks in the segment, even though it is a solid colour, and makes the car look very classy. Regarding the gear shift, i have never faced any issue relating to slotting of the first gear in my 2500 kms of driving the car however, sometimes the gear slots into third instead of first, especially from standing starts at traffic signals.

And yeah, I also didn't get a penny of discount, even after hagling for two days. The only respite was that i got the car within a week of me showing interest and that i could transfer the insurance of my old car thus saving substantially on the premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
I had a question for you, there used to be a gear shift indicator on the ODO display in the earlier model of the car, I saw it in my test drive car however, it was not in my car. Wanted to know if you got it on yours. Also, is your a 6 Gear or 5 Gear coz i heard from few people on this forum that you could order the 6 Gear for some bucks extra.

The AC is good only if the vents are facing to your face but, I assure you the cabin doesn't get as cool as the temp displayed on the unit. Try facing the vents away from your body & see if you feel cool.
90BHP, as per my dealer, you cannot get the 6 speed one anymore, not even on order basis. I was getting one but it was manufactured in May. So, I think anybody getting the 6 speed one now will likely be getting a car manufactured prior to June. However I may be wrong and anyone getting a 6 speed one now, please verify the month of manufacture by checking the VIN no. And yeah, that gearshift indicator also left the house along with the 6 speed gear box.

Ditto on the AC, takes quite sometime to cool in hot conditions (temp above 34 deg C).
Old 1st December 2011, 16:05   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
Ram, this is a issue that I have been facing on my car too albeit not so many times. It happens rarely but, it does happen. I guess it happens due to the reverse & 1st gear being in the same slot just requiring us to pull the small lever below the knob. Usually it helps me if I go back to nuetral & push back into 1st.

Which garware film are you using, the amount you quoted are really inexpensive. I got Garware Ice Cool metal dispersed films for 7.5K for all windows & the windshield ?

__________________________________________________ ___________

- Yea, you're right on that mate! It does happen only 2 out of every 10 stops I make, but when it does happen i go back to nuetral and then try putting the 1st gear (sometimes need to repeat this process 2 times), and then it works. The other gear shifts work like a charm!

- I have the latest one, with the 5-speed MT and the gear shift indicator has been removed in this version (as if riders like Us follow the indicator, ever! lol). The 6-speed MT is something people should refrain from buying at this point since if its available at this point, you can be rest assured that it's an unsold commodity and could have been used as a TD machine or a refurbished item; i.e. sometimes prior to registration, if customers notice any defect at the time of vehicle inspection, they reject that car and a brand new car is allotted to them. Also, the only advantage of the 6th gear is better fuel efficiency during high speeds (120+kmph). Moreover, there are a few disadvantages; the initial pick-up is not that great, turbo lag is evident till the 3rd gear whereas in my car, is not the case. This is courtesy of a much better gear-ratio alignment in the new model, and also due to the fact that the power is now distributed only amongst 5-gears, and not 6gears; which means each gear packs a lot more punch.

- I got the Garware Cool Vision only for the Front, as it is the only 'reasonably priced' scratch-proof sun-film available in the market with a 3year warranty on the same. For the sides and rear, I've Llumar Silver series sun-film which was fitted by the Hyundai dealers.

- You're right about the AC vents being ineffective whilst not facing the passenger's face directly. But I guess that's the case in every car within the 10-11lacs bracket. What I meant is that, in a city like mumbai wherein the temp is mostly never less than 35+ degrees Celcius, why would anyone want to keep the AC vents off their face? The fully auto climate control AC works like a charm if you allow if to blow in fresh air for a few minutes (during which time you still would feel cool enough), then the system automatically turns on the circulation button which means, outside air flow is minimised virtually to 1% and the inner cooled air is circulated within the car at which point you're bound to feel cool, then again when the system recognises it needs fresh air, the circulation button goes off fresh air is brought in and Co2 content inside the car is filtered out and then the whole above process starts again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Hearty congratulations for this beast Ram. The car looks damn hot in black color!! I am sure you will love every mm of driving it. Refrain yourself from ripping her (i know its irresistible, but still) before you run in her properly.
Do you have any idea why Hyundai has come back to 5+1 MT from 6+1 MT? Also, how did you order Team BHP stickers? I tried buying it from the stores section of this site using a debit card, but the transaction got canceled twice.
Drive Safe
__________________________________________________ ______________

Thanks for that mate, she's indeed a beauty! Yes, I've somehow refrained from ripping her untill now, I've done 560kms till now and my top-speed has been around 82kmph.

In my opinion, the reason for Hyundai to come back to 5+1 MT from 6+1 MT
is because:
1. Even Verna CRDI has a 6+1MT, and they need to keep some product USP or differentiator to get better sales.
2. If both their premium selling cars have the same gear-box, that creates more demand for the 6+1MT gear box, which is again a long story involving product and after sales support strategy, but to cut the story short, Hyundai didn't want this demand-burden!

The only thing that is beyond my comprehension is the reason behind removing the gear shift indicator, as it would barely cost Hyundai 1grand per system; it surely ain't for cost cutting, that I'm sure of!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Please read the forum rules here before posting any further.

Last edited by n_aditya : 2nd December 2011 at 14:59. Reason: back to back posts... merged
Old 1st December 2011, 19:31   #14

Quote:

Thanks Amit, precisely why I've named her a 'Black-Babe'; she's a hottie, aint she? . I'd say i-20 diesel is a great choice, but as I've already referred to in my quote, don't expect much discounts on the car; unless I've been duped by the dealer and/ or you get extremely lucky on that front!

About the FE, well it's always a fact that your car's FE increases around 30% once the first servicing has been done, however mine at present gives me around 17.5kmpl and mine is a 50-50 mix of city v/s highway driving. Another thing I'd like to add is, I was very apprehensive about many a comments on the AC Cooling front prior to buying the car, however I'd safely surmise that the AC cooling effect is as good as any-other car; infact, I loved it. I'm from mumbai, wherein the temp outside is 36 degrees, and the AC when set at 21degrees, with Auto Mode does an awesome job! Just remember to switch ON that little 'curved arrow' signed button, below the AC ON button, that stands for circulation; I guess may people don't do it properly, hence the complaint. I can write on this in more detail if you wish!

Cheers man!
Thank you for replying to my query. Most of the people who own i20's older version ( one with 6 gears ) have stated that they are not getting mileage of more than 14 kpl. Its really nice to know that you are getting around 17.5 kpl and that too prior to first service. I am from Gurgaon and drive around Delhi and Gurgaon daily. I guess the driving conditions are pretty much similar and hence I might get the same mileage.
Coming to the next issue. You are absolutely right, I am really concerned about the calibre of i20's AC. You know it gets really hot here in our part of the country in the summers. Barring 1 or 2 people almost everyone has complained about i20's AC. I would definitely like to know about it in detail. Please, enlighten me whenever you have some spare time.

Thanks a ton for your valuable advice. Honestly speaking after reading your posts I have made up my mind to go for i20, initially I was unable to decide between i20 and swift diesel. Swift diesel definitely gives great mileage and I havent heard anyone complaining about its AC.
Old 1st December 2011, 22:00   #15
BHPian

Quote:
- You're right about the AC vents being ineffective whilst not facing the passenger's face directly. But I guess that's the case in every car within the 10-11lacs bracket. What I meant is that, in a city like mumbai wherein the temp is mostly never less than 35+ degrees Celcius, why would anyone want to keep the AC vents off their face? The fully auto climate control AC works like a charm if you allow if to blow in fresh air for a few minutes (during which time you still would feel cool enough), then the system automatically turns on the circulation button which means, outside air flow is minimised virtually to 1% and the inner cooled air is circulated within the car at which point you're bound to feel cool, then again when the system recognises it needs fresh air, the circulation button goes off fresh air is brought in and Co2 content inside the car is filtered out and then the whole above process starts again!
Dude, i have never noticed the car going off re-circulation ever. That mode gets automatically switched only when I crank it to 15 deg, other wise it has to be manually switched on as far as I noticed. My trouble with the AC facing my face are my eyes. Constant cool air blast burns my eyes for some reason, I know it sounds contradictory but, that's reason why I started avoiding the on face blast of air. Secondly I think the AC vents are not placed in the best position as most of the times my hands get numb while trying to get the vent to not point to my face.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks