Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2012, 22:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company

If you arent satisfied with the finish, can you ask them do re-do again? I think they have their body shop just opposite to the service station and its quite a dusty area as well. I agree to your observation, they are severly understaffed. With the number of cars on the road increasing by the day, VW needs to invest a little more on their dealer network. Even minor running repairs take a long time, which shouldnt be the case.
Old 10th February 2012, 22:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

Yeah was going to get them to repaint it but after the polishing it looked somewhat OK so decided to drop it since being without a car is also a pain
Old 11th February 2012, 15:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

Here are some pics of the work done

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-dscn2632.jpg

cropped version of above

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-dscn2632_zoom.jpg

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-dscn2638.jpg

Not sure what this is, burn mark?

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-dscn2643.jpg

Pic of factory finish bonnet

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-dscn2647.jpg
bottle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 15:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Whoa! That's some horrendous orange peel!!

If the bodyshop guys put enough clear on there, it'll be easy to wetsand and level it and then compound and polish it to a high gloss equivalent of that on the bonnet! (but only if they put more than/= 2 coats of clearcoat on there!)
Old 12th February 2012, 00:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Here are some pics of the work done
Bottle I did suggest you to take your vehicle back to the workshop and complaint to the manager for the quality of job done. The work done is very cheap by VW standards and not accepted even if its for free.
There are other bhpians VW cars which have been repainted but it was always factory finish. Bottle fight for it and get your bumper again replaced with perfect paint finish.
Old 12th February 2012, 18:56   #36
BHPian

That is simply a case of terrible orange peel.

The burn mark you are referring to is the wet sanding marks left by the sandpaper. It seems to have been very shabbily done. Your bumper has been repainted, some parts have been wet sanded , some havent. Not sure though what is the thickness of the clear they have sprayed ? Either ways a very shoddy job done.

A proper wet sanding, (generally body shops start with 1000 grit followed by 2000 grit) followed by application of high quality compound either with rotary or DA should bring it back to a high gloss finish. You can apply a wax of your choice after a month ~ to protect the surface.
Old 15th February 2012, 11:36   #37
Senior - BHPian

I gave the car in again to the workshop and it was looked at by the manager who said it just needs to be polished properly with rubbing compound and they took the car in and when I collected it the wet sanding marks (that I pointed out) have disappeared. The orange peel effect is still there but not as bad. Its mainly visible in direct sunlight.

There is a spot at the bottom where there is the wet sand mark which I didn't notice while collecting it or giving in. Anyway I lost patience to go again to tell them their job so decided to drop it for now. Most of the actual workers there are just kids and don't really seem to understand the nuances of what we want.

After this polish effort the sparkly effect of the metallic paint is visible as well which was totally absent last time. I guess I will get it detailed after a while professionally which should fix it completely.

Thanks to everyone for the support
Old 15th February 2012, 22:37   #38
BHPian

Bottle can you give a detailed comparison vs the style 1.6? I have a GTX and want to replace it very soon with a Polo 1.6 or Punto 90hp. In comparison to the GTX and Punto, I felt Polo handled much better less body roll and more precise steering, great gear box and good low end torque. I felt a lag between 100 and 140, then it picked up clean till 180 (did I hit the rev limiter?). Now my heart says Polo and head says Punto diesel!! Need your comments vis a vis Palio/Punto...

Last edited by solly : 15th February 2012 at 22:40.
Old 15th February 2012, 23:16   #39
Senior - BHPian

^I would say similar impressions, suspension and gearing are its strong points, steering isn't as involving but the engine's throttle lag kills things a bit. You need to decide your priorities and go ahead.

I also find the 6000rpm rev limit a bit limiting as well :
bottle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 13:54   #40
Senior - BHPian

Some toys for the drive - mats and ice

Picked up some 3D mats and installed the below ICE.

Morel Tempo Components (9.5k)
Helix 2 Channel amp (9k)
Kenwood 4036 HU (7k)

Had some left over damping from the Palio so used that and damped the front doors as well. Install was done by Power Zone and products were from Chandru Auto on GP road

The tweeters from the Morels seem a bit in your face for the kind of music I listen to but am getting used to them and also got the tweeters repositioned a bit so that they are a bit more bearable.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-20120210-10.39.16-large.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-20120210-10.44.55-large.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-hu.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-fuse.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-ampinstalled.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-amp2.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-tweeter.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-img_2628-large.jpg  

Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!-img_2633-large.jpg  

bottle is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 22:07   #41
Senior - BHPian

re: Volkswagen Polo 1.6 - Keeping my 1.6 Stile company. Edit: Now sold!

Looks good, If i recollect right, you had said earlier that you were pretty happy with the stock ICE, surprised that you decided to go ahead and change it.

Why not mount the tweeter on the A-pillar near the ORVM area? Thats where mine was installed by powerzone.
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Yeah what started as a plan to change the HU alone to add in USB functionality turned into a 30k upgrade :lol

Yeah I was looking to mount the tweeter in the ORVM area or door pad but Saravana was adamant on this location so decided to try it out for a while
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:41   #43
BHPian

Quote:
but the engine's throttle lag kills things a bit.
How much has your car run? I also have a 1.6 and there is a throttle lag at low RPMs, but surprisingly, when I drove the test drive car (it was a 1.6 and around10k Kms run), the lag simply wasnt there!

Maybe they changed ECU mapping or something in 2011 May/June batches to increase FE. Not sure.
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:48   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
How much has your car run? I also have a 1.6 and there is a throttle lag at low RPMs, but surprisingly, when I drove the test drive car (it was a 1.6 and around10k Kms run), the lag simply wasnt there!

Maybe they changed ECU mapping or something in 2011 May/June batches to increase FE. Not sure.
And I thought this was only unique to the Fabia for some reason. Don't be puzzled. We're brothers from other mothers :P . Although, I miss having power on tap, I feel it's a good thing to retain the ECU mapping this way for sake of mielage during those city drives. And just when you need that rush to get ahead, you know what you need to push.
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

He mounted the tweeters on the ORVM area even without me asking for it. I feel thats the best location for the polo.

By the way, how much did you pay for the 3D mats? The fit for the front and passenger side mats are pretty snug, but the same cannot be said about the rear one's. Especially for the vento which has an extended wheelbase over the polo, they dont have seperate sets for vento and polo, do they?

Quote:
Yeah what started as a plan to change the HU alone to add in USB functionality turned into a 30k upgrade :lol

Yeah I was looking to mount the tweeter in the ORVM area or door pad but Saravana was adamant on this location so decided to try it out for a while

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks