Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2012, 21:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)

The three major issues problems/issues people have faced still continued to exist.

1] Poor pickup in second gear which is simply not good enough when its competitors like Wagon R, i10, Ritz have far more driveable and eager engines with instant throttle responses.

2] Poor visibility which is a major hindrance in a city like Bangalore where not just parking but maneuvering through jam packed roads is a major headache.

3] Poor fuel efficiency . Its very clear unless you drive at snail pace in higher gear this car struggles to cross 11-12 kmpl which is ridiculous for b+ segment hatchback.

They could have employed revised gearing ratios to improve everyday driveability than sticking to a gearing which gives them High ARAI figures but poor every day figures.

They could have adjusted the seating position to improve visibility for shorter drivers and Women. These days not everybody can afford to have one car for himself and another for the wife. I mean i10 does well cos it is extremely easy to drive for the fairer sex. Now you are a bachelor so it does not matter but for married people like us it is a major issue.

Hyundai have come with the kappa vtvt variant and the irde2 variant while Maruti have the brilliant k series engine. I am afraid GM cannot go on with this engine in a very good car like Beat which is extremely good value for money. For me failure on the part of GM to address these three important issues has been the reason why the petrol version of the Beat has failed to take off.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 2nd March 2012 at 21:58.
needforspeed88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 00:01   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
one of those evenings near varthur, blr
excellent pics jai as usual!, need to send you some of mine so you can do some of your editing magic. And thanks for letting me TD the diesel, felt so different.

just to let others know, the Black Beat is mine (Petrol, LT), the sanddrift grey is nevertouchme's (Diesel LT) and the Figo is a non-members (Diesel Titanium).

Being completely modest here but I think mine looks the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Excellent write-up..

BTW, when was the meet @ varthur? Call me next time.
Nice photos.. Like the" face to face" pic of Beats

Hey.. Thanks for sharing T-bhp stickers.. Finally I pasted it on the number plate
Thanks Salbin.

This was 2 days after our impromptu meet. Will definitely call you next time. You de-badged, decked up beat looks clean and brilliant.
A sticker was overdue on yours. Front or rear number plate?? and btw any advances on getting those additional LEDs fitted for the reverse parking light?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Awesome write-up superutp! When I first saw your thread, I knew I had to read it. Finally got time to read it. And boy! I really enjoyed reading it. Your review is truly from heart and soul. Congrats on your black beauty!

Being a Figo owner myself, I would say that you were quite lucky that you didn't pick a Figo as it's quite a sedan-like car when it comes to handling narrow parking spaces (due to long wheelbase). In fact, my old Esteem was easier to drive around in cramped areas. And, I actually wish for a hatchback as a 2nd car instead of a sedan since I already have this almost-sedan.
Thanks man! appreciate you reading the whole thing.

Yes, there are positives and negatives of having an almost-sedan. If I am not wrong the Figo is wider than the old esteem. When I did the TD's of the Figo I always felt like I was sitting in a bigger car. It felt good because you felt you were getting more for your money. However, it wasn't my requirement and I am so glad I choose the Beat. The figo would never fit in my parking place.
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
The three major issues problems/issues people have faced still continued to exist.

1] Poor pickup in second gear which is simply not good enough when its competitors like Wagon R, i10, Ritz have far more driveable and eager engines with instant throttle responses.

2] Poor visibility which is a major hindrance in a city like Bangalore where not just parking but maneuvering through jam packed roads is a major headache.

3] Poor fuel efficiency . Its very clear unless you drive at snail pace in higher gear this car struggles to cross 11-12 kmpl which is ridiculous for b+ segment hatchback.

They could have employed revised gearing ratios to improve everyday driveability than sticking to a gearing which gives them High ARAI figures but poor every day figures.

They could have adjusted the seating position to improve visibility for shorter drivers and Women. These days not everybody can afford to have one car for himself and another for the wife. I mean i10 does well cos it is extremely easy to drive for the fairer sex. Now you are a bachelor so it does not matter but for married people like us it is a major issue.

Hyundai have come with the kappa vtvt variant and the irde2 variant while Maruti have the brilliant k series engine. I am afraid GM cannot go on with this engine in a very good car like Beat which is extremely good value for money. For me failure on the part of GM to address these three important issues has been the reason why the petrol version of the Beat has failed to take off.
A very valid point you make. When you look at the Petrol Beat's engine specifications, cost and overall package, anybody's first reaction would be- Wow! 81BHP, all the gizmos and just for less than 5.5 lakhs on-road.
The whole package is let down by the engine. They really need to do something about the engine.
Saying for myself here, but going by the way I caress the engine I should be getting 14-15km/l easily however I struggle to get 12. Add to that the horrible low-end torque and just to add to the misery is the effect the A/C has on it.
Though I dont find the visibility too much of a problem now, I think its just about getting used to it and maneuvering it is actually a breeze. But yes, I agree with the point you are making.
The solution for GM is pretty simple, the engine is good, its just that its geared badly, most other TBHPians report pretty decent FE because they drive the beat properly. Visibility just requires height adjustment seats.

Of course the points about the engine get exaggerated and its easy to bash some aspects of the car, but honestly overall its an awesome package!
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
A very valid point you make. When you look at the Petrol Beat's engine specifications, cost and overall package, anybody's first reaction would be- Wow! 81BHP, all the gizmos and just for less than 5.5 lakhs on-road.
The whole package is let down by the engine. They really need to do something about the engine.
Saying for myself here, but going by the way I caress the engine I should be getting 14-15km/l easily however I struggle to get 12. Add to that the horrible low-end torque and just to add to the misery is the effect the A/C has on it.
Though I dont find the visibility too much of a problem now, I think its just about getting used to it and maneuvering it is actually a breeze. But yes, I agree with the point you are making.
The solution for GM is pretty simple, the engine is good, its just that its geared badly, most other TBHPians report pretty decent FE because they drive the beat properly. Visibility just requires height adjustment seats.

Of course the points about the engine get exaggerated and its easy to bash some aspects of the car, but honestly overall its an awesome package!
I myself have mentioned several times as far as value for money is concerned Beat is best bet in that segment. It looks contemporary has a lot of features for the price. The least bit they could have done was make the second and third gears a bit shorter. It is a very good package and i hope GM addresses these issues cos this car deserves to sell much more than it currently does.

Last edited by needforspeed88 : 3rd March 2012 at 15:00.
needforspeed88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:10   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
It is a very good package and i hope GM addresses these issues cos this car deserves to sell much more than it currently does.
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head!
Old 4th March 2012, 01:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Salbin.
This was 2 days after our impromptu meet. Will definitely call you next time. You de-badged, decked up beat looks clean and brilliant.
A sticker was overdue on yours. Front or rear number plate?? and btw any advances on getting those additional LEDs fitted for the reverse parking light?
I have put it on the front number plate.
LEDs not yet fixed. Either I am lazy or busy with something else
Old 10th April 2012, 19:22   #22
BHPian

An update to 'Black Metal' (yes that what she is called nowadays)

I finally upgraded something which I wanted to do since before buying the car itself. I am talking about changing to wider rubber of course

So my Beat has run 2.8k kms in 3months, FE varies between 10.5-11.5 kmpl within the city. Overall extremely happy, change in driving ensures I am not bothered with the low end torque, its nippy, zippy & chuckable within the city, fits into gaps and holes and yet is big enough to block 2 wheelers from trying to sneak past while waiting at signals. Fits 1, 2, 3, 4 comfortably, 5 and 6 (tin of sardines) not so comfortably. Enough said. Now to the tyres.

Having run 2.8k on the OEM Jk vectras I was initially apprehensive about changing tyres considering that I had relatively new set of tyres already.

Changing tyres at delivery was not an option due to limited Vit M. Getting inspired by fellow BHPian Autofreak (as he also changed to wider tyres at 3k kms) I decided to go ahead.

I wasn''t expecting much on resale (buyback on my Vectras) initially. BHpian Nikhil suggested I try selling to some other Beat Owner so I put out an ad on the classifieds expecting 6500 for set of 4 which later changed to 5000.

Autofreak had sold his tyres for 600 each in Chennai and my initial enquires when I was in Chennai led to the same 500-1000 bucks.

Came back to Bangalore, started tyre hunting. Called up a few places, but I wanted to get it changed in a reliable place. First stop for most BHPians is Madhus, and it was also for me. Was getting a deal for 1000 bucks each on my Vectras. Was happy with that. A-Drives were at 4140 each, XM2's were 4800odd.

I had anyways settled on choosing Yoko A-Drives (a lot cheaper than Michelins/Bridges and yet comparable). I enquired with other shops but Madhus was turning out to be the highest at that moment. Last I enquired with Sai Iyengar on Lalbagh road and unbelievably I was offered 1950 for each tyre. Yes, thats right 1950

My choice was made right there and finally got them changed today. Finally costed me 8.2k for 4 tyres including Nitrogen filling and Balancing. Superbly Happy!!

Having driven around 25 kms within the city on the Yoko A-Drive 175/65-R14's I can't comment much yet. Initial impressions are that
1) Steering is marginally heavier, most predominant over 50-60kmph which I actually like. It gives a more weighted and controlled feel. Also heavier at 1-10 kmph speeds. Need to eat some proteins.
2) Handling has definitely improved thanks to the new found grip.
3) I thought Braking would improve but so far its around the same as before.
4) Ride has matured (for a small hatchback the Beat already had good ride quality, now its better). Potholes and bumps are eaten better.
5) Exterior looks, stance of the car in general has improved.
6) Increase in GC of around 6.75mm (I think). Always helps in Bangalore roads.

The only thing disappointing is that the stock steel rims ruin the look, being 4.5J they are narrow and the full width of the 175's are not exposed properly. Pictures don't do the new tyres justice in general.

Here are some pics

Black Metal getting ready

Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_123359.jpg

The Drums...
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_123559.jpg

....and the dics
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_123612.jpg

That's right...Yoko A-Drives 175/65-R14, decided against 185's as 175 is a more balanced option for the beat keeping FE, ride etc in mind.

Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_125530.jpg

Remaining pics showcasing the new tyres

Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_134258.jpg
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_134305.jpg
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_180836.jpg
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120410_181329.jpg

Other additions to my Beat include LED sill plates (A huge thanks to BHPian Salbin for letting me flick his unwanted rear sill plates (which I fitted at the front)
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120311-18.54.28.jpg

and also DRLs, which are a big mis-match with the parking lights right now and are hopeless quality. These are going to be changed very soon.
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120311-18.52.53.jpg

The guy who fixed my DRL and sill plates did some goof up and now I hear buzzing sounds from somewhere within the car which need to be fixed.

Next steps:
1) Drive on the highway for a better feel of new tyres
2) New 9LED DRL's, LED parking lights, LED interior dome light
3) Purchase Vit M in a Pharmacy to buy alloys!!

Thank you for reading a long post.
superutp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 21:43   #23
BHPian

That's awesome Superutp!!!
Your babe looks gorgeous with her new shoes!

And man! 1950 is daylight robbery! You should be delighted!
The 600 I managed to get was from Madhus only. The one at JC road, Bangalore.

Plan a long drive soon. You'll feel that the car handles so much better.

Happy miles ahead!

Edit: such a sweet deal should ve left behind a good chunk of Vit M for the alloys! Get them soon. Black metal desperately needs better wheels!

Last edited by Auto freak : 10th April 2012 at 21:45.
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 22:19   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
That's awesome Superutp!!!
Your babe looks gorgeous with her new shoes!

And man! 1950 is daylight robbery! You should be delighted!
The 600 I managed to get was from Madhus only. The one at JC road, Bangalore.

Plan a long drive soon. You'll feel that the car handles so much better.

Happy miles ahead!

Edit: such a sweet deal should ve left behind a good chunk of Vit M for the alloys! Get them soon. Black metal desperately needs better wheels!
Thanks Mr. Freak!

Daylight robbery? hmmm, well I did hold my Beat's spanner under my coat and point it at the tyre dealer earlier in the day!
Old 11th April 2012, 12:57   #25
Team-BHP Support

Hottest hatch on Bangalore's roads Nice to know you got DRLs and LED SILs as well with the new tyres.

How much did the DRLs set you back by? Are they philips DRLs?

Quote:
The only thing disappointing is that the stock steel rims ruin the look, being 4.5J they are narrow and the full width of the 175's are not exposed properly.
Hey superutp, weren't the stock tyres coming with 155 width? me thinks the 175/70s are overkill for the 4.5J stock rims. The sidewalls would be subjected to some uneven pressure, and wouldn't be safe I guess. Better for you to get those upgraded to 5J rims. You could find some unused 5J rims at the same tyre shop where you purchased your tyres (or better still you could upgrade to alloys )

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th April 2012 at 13:02.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 21:35   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Hottest hatch on Bangalore's roads Nice to know you got DRLs and LED SILs as well with the new tyres.

How much did the DRLs set you back by? Are they philips DRLs?

Hey superutp, weren't the stock tyres coming with 155 width? me thinks the 175/70s are overkill for the 4.5J stock rims. The sidewalls would be subjected to some uneven pressure, and wouldn't be safe I guess. Better for you to get those upgraded to 5J rims. You could find some unused 5J rims at the same tyre shop where you purchased your tyres (or better still you could upgrade to alloys )
Thanks Karthik!

Hottest Hatch? Not quite yet, the turbocharger I ordered still hasn't arrived. Damn you China Post!!

These DRLs are cheap, crappy, low powered ones; got them for 400 bucks through a random bidding I did on ebay. Ordered better ones which have now come, will replace them soon enough.

I did indeed think of the idea you suggested. The dealer however assured me that 175's were fine on 4.5J (185's would have safety issues), also this topic was discussed in the 'Chevy Beat Tyre Upgrade' thread where 175's were deemed safe for 4.5J. Moreover, I asked the dealer for wider rims but sadly he didnt sell rims.
But I do plan to get 5J or 5.5J's, hopefully Alloys, if not them then the standard ugly looking ones just to be on the safer side.

Last edited by superutp : 11th April 2012 at 21:37.
Old 23rd April 2012, 00:03   #27
BHPian

Hey, that is a wonderful ownership review. And some super photos! Congratulations for the killer hot hatch! Quite an attention grabber, even among bigger cars, something I noticed today morning. And I love your style of writing -- just the right amount of wisecracks
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Hey, that is a wonderful ownership review. And some super photos! Congratulations for the killer hot hatch! Quite an attention grabber, even among bigger cars, something I noticed today morning. And I love your style of writing -- just the right amount of wisecracks
Thanks Nilesh!! I appreciate you reading and appreciating my writing
The Beat is definitely a looker, not quite the hot hatch though in the conventional sense!

Small update on my Beat. Got the following mods done a week back-
1) Bigger, better and more powerful DRLs. Got a sweet deal on a set of DRLs called as 'Audi Style DRLs'. Got them for 1000 bucks, apparently they cost anything from 1500-3000 on other websites.
2) SMD's in place on my parking lamps. Bought from DealExtreme. A very good product, unfortunately got one defective piece.
3) Interior dome SMD's from DealExtreme as well. Work perfectly fine and are very bright.

Here are the pics:

The DRLs
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120420_073633.jpg
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120419_195713.jpg
With the parking lights also on
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120419_202754.jpg

The new interior light has definitely brightened things up inside (atleast for the front seats).
Beat It...no, not the Michael Jackson way! (Chevrolet Beat)-20120421_195607.jpg
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:58   #29
BHPian

The DRLs look good! Bigger n better!

Hey i see you have a mobile/GPS holder mounted on the dash.
That is the ideal place to get it mounted. But I ve repeatedly failed to get anything held there as the surface is neither flat to hold a suction cup nor wide enough to hold a adhesive mount disc.
Can i get to see a better pic of the holder you are using, also how does it stay there? adhesive?
Old 23rd April 2012, 16:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3) Interior dome SMD's from DealExtreme as well. Work perfectly fine and are very bright.
Can you link the page on dealextreme? I too was searching for the same, but was not sure how big light would fit the dome. The stock interior lights are pretty dim, and would love to have a bright interior light.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks