Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 18:12   #16
BHPian

re: My All New 2012 VW Jetta Highline - MT

Quote:
Congratulations Reventon! Nice car, the white colour with the black sun films looks amazing and the alloys compliment the whole look in a big way. Love these Highline alloys. I always think VW should have retained the climate control in the Jetta (if at all they could have skipped the dual zone one from the previous Jetta)
Thanks mate. I couldn't agree with you more. I don't really miss the ACC much but at a price tag of nearly 2 million rupees, there is simply no excuse for VW for this glaring omission, especially when cars that don't even cost half as much offers it.
Old 1st February 2012, 10:59   #17
BHPian

Congrats on your ride reventon & after spending 4 odd months with the German Beauty I dare say "Yeh Hi Hai Right Choice Baby - aHa !!"

I must say that the commitment shown by the dealer is exemplary & things like these will go a very long way in cementing VWs place as a leading player here.

The DRL mod looks v nice & am hoping to do the same soon.

Keep sharing your experience & yes - more pics
Old 1st February 2012, 17:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your ride reventon & after spending 4 odd months with the German Beauty I dare say "Yeh Hi Hai Right Choice Baby - aHa !!"

I must say that the commitment shown by the dealer is exemplary & things like these will go a very long way in cementing VWs place as a leading player here.

The DRL mod looks v nice & am hoping to do the same soon.

Keep sharing your experience & yes - more pics
Thanks vkaul1. I was sold on the Jetta right after the TD itself.
I am planning to swap the led drls for a better one. The one i have now isn't that bright(although it gets the job done). I will keep updating.
Also, what is the mileage on your odo? Did you face any niggles yet?
Old 1st February 2012, 17:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reventon2010 View Post
I am planning to swap the led drls for a better one. The one i have now isn't that bright(although it gets the job done). I will keep updating.
If I may, you put in the 68 SMD LED's right? Dont worry too much about the brightness, they may not look it to you but they get the job done of increasing visibility of your car for you not to mention they look way cooler doing it . If I remember correctly they are at around 320 Lumens and around the brightest / safest LED bulbs you will get. I know of issues where higher SMD bulbs (108 SMD) have burnt within the housing leaving behind smoke and soot particles in the HL housing. You can't get in there and clean that, the HL of the Jetta is permanently sealed.

On an aside No LED will compare to the brightness output of a regular filament bulb in the DRL socket.
Old 1st February 2012, 19:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
If I may, you put in the 68 SMD LED's right? Dont worry too much about the brightness, they may not look it to you but they get the job done of increasing visibility of your car for you not to mention they look way cooler doing it . If I remember correctly they are at around 320 Lumens and around the brightest / safest LED bulbs you will get. I know of issues where higher SMD bulbs (108 SMD) have burnt within the housing leaving behind smoke and soot particles in the HL housing. You can't get in there and clean that, the HL of the Jetta is permanently sealed.

On an aside No LED will compare to the brightness output of a regular filament bulb in the DRL socket.
yeah, currently i am using the cheap ones i bought from dealextreme.com (btw, are you still using the same ones?) . I'm getting a pair of more expensive ones shipped in from the US. I'm debating if i should swap them out with the new bulbs or let this one on till it dies. There is absolutely no way i'm going back to a regular filament bulb after seeing how good this one looks.
After seeing your car, i'm quite tempted to do my license plate and city lights as well. I will keep updating on it.
Old 1st February 2012, 20:59   #21
BHPian

I had condensation problems in my old Honda headlamps. Though the problem was not caused due to any lamp change but as a victim of this, I am curious, can LED DRL swap like this increase the probability of getting the lamp assembly fogged from inside in the future?
Old 1st February 2012, 21:54   #22
BHPian

Congratulations on the new ride. Car looks superb in white. Sleek and understated design makes it very classy. Good luck keeping the beige stain free!
You won't believe this but we went for the laura over the jetta for the exact same reason. The VW dealer here showed almost no interest when we showed up at their showroom. Shows how a lazy and negative attitude of the dealer is costing the brand.
Anyway just wondering why you didn't opt for the DSG variant?
Old 1st February 2012, 22:02   #23
BHPian

Quote:
yeah, currently i am using the cheap ones i bought from dealextreme.com (btw, are you still using the same ones?) . I'm getting a pair of more expensive ones shipped in from the US. I'm debating if i should swap them out with the new bulbs or let this one on till it dies. There is absolutely no way i'm going back to a regular filament bulb after seeing how good this one looks.
After seeing your car, i'm quite tempted to do my license plate and city lights as well. I will keep updating on it.
I'm still using the DealExtreme ones, my expensive ones were misplaced for a while. I did find them eventually, though in my sons toy store with all kind of stuff on them. $$=poof!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
I had condensation problems in my old Honda headlamps. Though the problem was not caused due to any lamp change but as a victim of this, I am curious, can LED DRL swap like this increase the probability of getting the lamp assembly fogged from inside in the future?
Nope. Its exactly like replacing a burnt out bulb.
Old 1st February 2012, 22:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations on the new ride. Car looks superb in white. Sleek and understated design makes it very classy. Good luck keeping the beige stain free!
You won't believe this but we went for the laura over the jetta for the exact same reason. The VW dealer here showed almost no interest when we showed up at their showroom. Shows how a lazy and negative attitude of the dealer is costing the brand.
Anyway just wondering why you didn't opt for the DSG variant?
Thanks goutham_r. I bought a leather shampoo for the insides. That reminds me, is that gonna work on leatherette as well? (any guesses anyone?)
If you read through my review, you will see i wasn't planning on getting the high line variant. I had an option to get the one that they had in stock(high line MT) or wait for another two months to get the car. Waiting seemed too torturous. Hence, high line MT!

Quote:
I'm still using the DealExtreme ones, my expensive ones were misplaced for a while. I did find them eventually, though in my sons toy store with all kind of stuff on them. $$=poof!!
Sorry to hear that. Think i'm gonna take up your advice and refrain from upgrading to a brighter one. I took another look at it and it does help when you see it from a distance(i guess with the low placement in the lamp assembly, you can't tell from up close how bright it is).
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You bet. While Laura is no slouch (that had my entire family rooting for it) but now when we go on drives everyone appreciates the space @ back seat.

I have ordered some LEDs from dealextremes & waiting for them to arrive. Sid (Ayedongivadam) has been v generous in offering his help in getting the modifications done once they land.

I am @ 3500 Kms. No niggles as of now. I think I can hear some creaking from the doors early in the morning especially while going slow on uneven surfaces. As had been reported previously on the forum that is because of the padding rubbing on the door steel. I would be visiting the workshop - I believe they spray something on the padding which makes the sound go away.
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
You bet. While Laura is no slouch (that had my entire family rooting for it) but now when we go on drives everyone appreciates the space @ back seat.

I have ordered some LEDs from dealextremes & waiting for them to arrive. Sid (Ayedongivadam) has been v generous in offering his help in getting the modifications done once they land.

I am @ 3500 Kms. No niggles as of now. I think I can hear some creaking from the doors early in the morning especially while going slow on uneven surfaces. As had been reported previously on the forum that is because of the padding rubbing on the door steel. I would be visiting the workshop - I believe they spray something on the padding which makes the sound go away.
I noticed the same thing couple days back. It only happens at times for no apparent reason. Will do the same fix when i visit the dealership.
Congrats on getting the leds. IMO, its an absolute must for the Jetta.
Also, do you hear any wind noise while going fast? With the way traffic is, i haven't really had a chance to stretch her legs yet but the one time i crossed 100kmp, i thought i heard some wind noise(didn't get a chance to confirm this again). I was wondering if it was just my car.
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:35   #27
BHPian

Any reason why such creaking noises are emerging in brand new cars? I thought germans were very reliable in this matter. But, there are quite a few Jetta's which have a similar problem.

And, is the problem sure to go away by just spraying something on the padding?
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:57   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
I think I can hear some creaking from the doors early in the morning especially while going slow on uneven surfaces. As had been reported previously on the forum that is because of the padding rubbing on the door steel. I would be visiting the workshop - I believe they spray something on the padding which makes the sound go away.
Quote:
I noticed the same thing couple days back. It only happens at times for no apparent reason. Will do the same fix when i visit the dealership.
Also, do you hear any wind noise while going fast? With the way traffic is, i haven't really had a chance to stretch her legs yet but the one time i crossed 100kmp, i thought i heard some wind noise(didn't get a chance to confirm this again). I was wondering if it was just my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Any reason why such creaking noises are emerging in brand new cars? I thought germans were very reliable in this matter. But, there are quite a few Jetta's which have a similar problem.

And, is the problem sure to go away by just spraying something on the padding?
Yes the creeking noise problem goes away after the workshop guys spray some stuff. However, it does return after sometime and going back to the dealership every month is not worth it. So my request to fellow Jetta owners is to try and find what they actually spray (I feel like an idiot for not finding that out in the first place).

Wind noise, well I drove her upto high speeds (with fellow BHPians) and I did not find much wind noise. However, tire noise does exist with those stock tires!

Hey DeKay, the Jetta is a very reliable and sturdy car. An 'incident/ accident' that she met with this month proves my point. She was recently rear ended on a traffic signal by a BMW 7 series (owned by Mrs. Ambani, seated in the front seat). Now my City has been through such incidents many a times and what follows is a dent on the bumper and snapping of the clips which hold the bumper to the body. To my surprise, there was neither a dent nor any other evidence of the impact (not even a scratch on the paint!). The bumper has not moved a millimeter from its position.

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2012 at 11:21. Reason: Please refrain from mentioning illegal speeds. Drive safe!
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:01   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Yes the creeking noise problem goes away after the workshop guys spray some stuff. However, it does return after sometime and going back to the dealership every month is not worth it. So my request to fellow Jetta owners is to try and find what they actually spray (I feel like an idiot for not finding that out in the first place).
We have the same problem with the Polo/Vento. If its the same fix, the spray is called Krytox. Its a Dupont product and its quite difficult to source. Might be best to get it off the dealer

dingolphie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Wind noise, well I drove her upto high speeds (with fellow BHPians) and I did not find much wind noise. However, tire noise does exist with those stock tires!
I will check this out once more just to be certain but as far as i could tell, it wasn't tire noise. Think you have mentioned this somewhere, the car does seem to be getting quieter and smoother with each passing day.

Quote:
We have the same problem with the Polo/Vento. If its the same fix, the spray is called Krytox. Its a Dupont product and its quite difficult to source. Might be best to get it off the dealer

Link to post (VW Polo - Maintenance and Service cost and dos/don'ts)
Thanks for the info. I will find out if this works on the Jetta as well. Might be just a coincidence but the noise only appear whenever the rear seats are occupied.

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2012 at 11:22. Reason: Quoted post edited

Most Viewed