Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 20:53   #31
BHPian

Re: My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver

Congrats on the car mate - Great Choice - Can you please share if you have center arm rest in the CE model ? Thanks.
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 22:47   #32

Awesome Choice PHX. This car gives you the best motoring Nirvana achievable for the amount of money spent. The higher you go from Honda City IVTEC for every rupee spent the joy does not increase proportionately. That sense of optimal return of investment is in given only in the Honda City. By the way, your review of what you have been writing on Team BHP makes me a great admirer of your involvement and passion for all things automotive. I got the car last year in October, a white SMT for 8.4 L on road, rest is all history.......Have fun
Abhijeet_BHU is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 17:41   #33
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Congrats on the car mate - Great Choice - Can you please share if you have center arm rest in the CE model ? Thanks.
In the front, no.
If you're talking about the armrest in the backseat, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijeet_BHU View Post
Awesome Choice PHX. This car gives you the best motoring Nirvana achievable for the amount of money spent. The higher you go from Honda City IVTEC for every rupee spent the joy does not increase proportionately. That sense of optimal return of investment is in given only in the Honda City. By the way, your review of what you have been writing on Team BHP makes me a great admirer of your involvement and passion for all things automotive. I got the car last year in October, a white SMT for 8.4 L on road, rest is all history.......Have fun
Thanks for your post
I think I agree with you about the VFM. Certainly seems more VFM than the Verna, for example.

FE Update
Drove to Madh Island yesterday and back (to Andheri) today. There was a lot of traffic on the way back. Didn't check FE for this trip, but overall FE is sitting pretty at 11 kpl with about almost 200 km done.

@Avi: Still have not yet been able to take a picture of the ECO indicator. Will try to do that tonight.

Last edited by PhX : 9th February 2012 at 17:47.
PhX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2012, 17:51   #34
BHPian

A google congrats on this buy!!! Can't go anything wrong with this baby.

It just amazes how Alto, Swift & Honda still capture the imagination of people everywhere!!!
bkbkr1212 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 01:00   #35
PhX
BHPian

UPDATE
Hi guys, had my first fuel refill so I can give you a few updates now:

FUEL ECONOMY
Since taking delivery of the car on Saturday evening, I've driven 358.3 km before refueling today. The AVG indicator on the display shows 12 kpl (see pictures below). Please note that this is in a mixture of slug-slow traffic as well as considerably lighter traffic considerations. There has been plenty of nice drives on the western express highway and Bandra-Worli sea link, which has pushed the average up, but also a lot of deathly slow traffic which has pulled it down.

I generally drive with the windows rolled up. Earlier, I used to drive with AC on about 90% of the time, but due to the cold wave in the city, AC usage has been much lower. So, overall, I would say about 75% of the time, AC has been on.

I have also manually calculated the average kpl. When I refueled today, I had covered 358.3km, and fueled up by 30.06 litres (the guy then manually increased it to 31.1 litres). If we assume 30.06, then it's given a mileage of 11.91 kpl. And taking 31.1 litres, average is 11.5 kpl.

So, overall, I'd say the AVG display in the display panel is more or less accurate, ~12 KPL

CAR REVIEW UPDATES
  • The suspension has definitely been hardened. I've driven over some big speed bumps but never had the car touch anywhere, despite the fact that I've always had at least one other person in the car. On some bumps, though, you wish the suspension was a little springier, like the Fluidic Verna's.
  • Though I will not mention the top-speed I've achieved, I will say that it's faster than I have been in any car ever. I didn't even realise how fast we were going. Plus, I had 3 other people in the car. And the stability of the car is exceptional. People sitting at the back didn't even realise how fast the car was. No vibrations, no twitchiness. You hold the steering with a firm grip and the car will stay grounded and edge you on to higher speeds very comfortably.
  • Though tyre noise is undesirably high, the car is otherwise noiseless and the engine is fantastically refined. At signals, when I turn off the car, it still feels like it's on. :P Then I realise that the minor vibrations when the car is stationary is more due to other vehicles on the road and not yours. Beauty.
  • The power steering is just an absolute joy. And a great turning radius too. It's extremely easy to take quick U-turns or manoeuvre the car around. I can turn the steering completely with one hand.
  • As I mentioned before, AC is really good. Over the last few days, even during the day-time, I've had to switch the AC off because it was getting too cold (even at fan speed 1). Part of this may also be attributed to my sunfilm, though.

Special Update for RavenAvi
Attaching the ECO indicator light. Since the car was moving, my friend tried his best, but it's obviously not possible to avoid a blur at all.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc04062.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc04063.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc04069.jpg  

PhX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 17:40   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
So, overall, I'd say the AVG display in the display panel is more or less accurate, ~12 KPL
Pretty much what the City gives on an average. It is bound to improve after the first few servicings. Expect it to settle between 12-13 kmpl. Best FE figures you can expect - 15 in city, 18-19 on highways.

Quote:
The suspension has definitely been hardened. I've driven over some big speed bumps but never had the car touch anywhere, despite the fact that I've always had at least one other person in the car. On some bumps, though, you wish the suspension was a little springier, like the Fluidic Verna's.
The suspension was softer in the earlier version of the City. Crossing breakers was a lot smoother then but it scraped! For this present version, no doubt they have fine-tuned and made the suspension stiffer (ergo the 165 mm GC), and the crossing of bumpers will feel more stiffer now. But it will not scrape any bumps/breakers, that's for sure.

Quote:
Though tyre noise is undesirably high, the car is otherwise noiseless and the engine is fantastically refined.
That's the big disadvantage of the Goodyears. They might last you the distance, but you have to do with the constant tyre noise which will keep filtering into the cabin no matter how much you do to prevent it. Damping won't work either. If the ride quality is smooth and it is gripping well, stick to them. Otherwise think about upgrading, specially to 195/60s.

Quote:
As I mentioned before, AC is really good. Over the last few days, even during the day-time, I've had to switch the AC off because it was getting too cold (even at fan speed 1). Part of this may also be attributed to my sunfilm, though.
The AC of the City has always been very effective. Even in summers it chills down the cabin pretty quickly. Remember to keep the filters well-maintained and clean, and it will last the distance as well.

Quote:
Special Update for RavenAvi
Attaching the ECO indicator light. Since the car was moving, my friend tried his best, but it's obviously not possible to avoid a blur at all.
Thanks, buddy! A nice little Easter Egg (hidden) feature for prospective future City owners to look forward to. Good to know that Honda did not dispense of this very nifty feature (but then, it was a given considering the Brio has it).

I am interested about the speeds where it gets activated. From the pics I can gather that you are driving at about 1500-2000 rpm and at about 60 kph (on either 4th or 5th gear)?

So the range is between 40-60 kph inside the city to get the "ECO" indicator activated? What about highway speeds for the "ECO" indicator?
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 18:00   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

I am interested about the speeds where it gets activated. From the pics I can gather that you are driving at about 1500-2000 rpm and at about 60 kph (on either 4th or 5th gear)?

So the range is between 40-60 kph inside the city to get the "ECO" indicator activated? What about highway speeds for the "ECO" indicator?
I guess ECO indicator glows when the car is giving best mileage. In pics you can see the RTMI on higher side when ECO is on.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th February 2012 at 18:01.
bluevolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 02:40   #38
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Pretty much what the City gives on an average. It is bound to improve after the first few servicings. Expect it to settle between 12-13 kmpl. Best FE figures you can expect - 15 in city, 18-19 on highways.
Yeah, that's what I'm expecting.

Quote:
The suspension was softer in the earlier version of the City. Crossing breakers was a lot smoother then but it scraped! For this present version, no doubt they have fine-tuned and made the suspension stiffer (ergo the 165 mm GC), and the crossing of bumpers will feel more stiffer now. But it will not scrape any bumps/breakers, that's for sure.
Yes, I've noticed. But I have also noticed that this means minimum body roll and also very good stability at high speeds.

Quote:
That's the big disadvantage of the Goodyears. They might last you the distance, but you have to do with the constant tyre noise which will keep filtering into the cabin no matter how much you do to prevent it. Damping won't work either. If the ride quality is smooth and it is gripping well, stick to them. Otherwise think about upgrading, specially to 195/60s.
Yeah, I'm thinking about that, if I can sell my current tyres. I also need to check about the warranty thing.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I guess ECO indicator glows when the car is giving best mileage. In pics you can see the RTMI on higher side when ECO is on.
bluevolt is kind of right. I've seen the ECO indicator go on at about 35-45 kph in 4th gear. Today, I noticed I got ECO right from 55-75 in 5th gear. I think I also noticed it at 100kph in fifth gear :P I've not been able to figure out what makes it come and go, but I've also seen the RTMI as low as <20kpl with the ECO light on. Mostly, though, a good way to get consistent ECO is by going up to the speed you want to maintain quickly, and then either pressing the accelerator lightly to just maintain your speed, or ignoring the accelerator entirely. Difficult to figure out.

By the way, I noticed that when I unlock the car using the Autocop, the cabin light goes on. Then, once we get in and close all the doors, it dims a little bit. The light only switches off entirely once I've got the key in and turned it. I think it's a nice little feature. Just wanted to check whether this is new in the 2012 or whether it was always there or whether it's due to the Autocop.
PhX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 02:44   #39
Team-BHP Support

The eco mode would be rpm dependant, and also dependant on the amount of throttle being pressed. Upto a certain amount of rpm with very little throttle input the eco mode would come on, and at the same time if you see the instantaneous FE indicator it would be very high (if your car has one).

To prove this you can keep your car in 5th at 60kmph, and press very little accelerator just enough to keep it going at that speed - the eco light will come on. Now press it half way as if you wanted acceleration - the light should go off.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 10:29   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, I noticed that when I unlock the car using the Autocop, the cabin light goes on. Then, once we get in and close all the doors, it dims a little bit. The light only switches off entirely once I've got the key in and turned it. I think it's a nice little feature. Just wanted to check whether this is new in the 2012 or whether it was always there or whether it's due to the Autocop.
This dimming feature is there in my stock SMT City also. When I unlock my car the light glows and switches off on locking the car. It also switches off when you turn on the ignition.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 21:44   #41
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The eco mode would be rpm dependant, and also dependant on the amount of throttle being pressed. Upto a certain amount of rpm with very little throttle input the eco mode would come on, and at the same time if you see the instantaneous FE indicator it would be very high (if your car has one).

To prove this you can keep your car in 5th at 60kmph, and press very little accelerator just enough to keep it going at that speed - the eco light will come on. Now press it half way as if you wanted acceleration - the light should go off.
I agree cent percent.

The City CE of PhX has ECO and instantaneous FE indicator, I Know beacuse I have the same City CE. And it is very helpful to achieve max FE.

In this regard I would like to mention/add that knowlegde of gear ratio, idle RPM, torque/power at that RPM in the car in particular, suitable speed in view of aerodynamic resistantce are important.

Best FE can be achieved between egine speed 1200 RPM to 1500/1800 RPM (just above idle RPM and which delivers not high power but but sufficient to cruise to overcome rolling resistance at the speed between 40 kmph to 60 kmph suitable in accordance with aerodynamic resistantce. With AC on senerio will change a little which may claim to add 15/20kmph as consumption of fuel will incresase with time taken also. Reasonalbe higher speed will lower the time on travelling resulting to AC on for lower time which will effect FE positively.

I have cheked with my City CE and achieved FE of 24.8kmpl (on avg indicator on a trip of 30km) on EM By Pass (not a High Way or pure city and at 630 am to 7:30 am) with AC off, three persons, windows closed but never did engine off at signals though not more than 10 in number. With 100% AC on (other remained same) 16 kmpl has been achieved.

City's idle RPM is near about 750, at this RPM speed is 25 kmph on top gear - gear ratio of City is like. It's a different car cosidering the power, gear ratio [14.86 RPM of Engine = 1 RPM of Wheel ( 5th Gear Ratio - 0.809 * Differential - 4.294)]. I used 5th gear above 30/35 kmph and gone upto 60/65 kmph and the ECO indicator was always on except if the situation did not demand hard acceleration. At 3rd gear above 1000 RPM ECO get on also. If acceleration is required then 3rd or 4th gear is perfect at that speed though at that time ECO will not be on.

Hence 4th/5th gear only at or above 60/70/80 kmph as driven by some motorists is not at all effective for better FE.

I think all other also may get similar FE, even may exceed me if they try knowing the car well and practising on ECO - as "ECO Indicator Trains Driving".

I will shortly discuss on FE in a new thread with full of data, fact, factors, analysis, etc.
000_RANVIS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2012, 23:04   #42
BHPian

Hello PhX and congrats, your enthusiasm is infectious. I am almost set on booking my Honda City next week and am thinking of either the EMT or SMT models. The price structure and discounts are such that the corporate model and EMT are now priced very closely. there are no discounts for CE, while loads on the EMT.

The sales person said there are rear AC vents below the carpet at the rear which is not mentioned in the brochure and difficult to believe. Have you been told any such thing?

The Sales guy mentioned Michelin as one of the tyres that the Honda City can come as OEM fixtures. Has anybody heard of this? However he says the dealer has no control over which tyre will be allotted to me. I think at the PDI I can look for a car with Michelins perhaps?
Old 21st October 2012, 17:09   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
there are no discounts for CE, while loads on the EMT.
Same was the case in August when I purchased City Corporate. My reason for Corporate edition were black interiors. I don't like beige (difficult to maintain in Indore's dusty environment). Else discounted EMT is quite VFM in terms of availability of all basic features that we usually need in our day-to-day usage of car.

Quote:
The sales person said there are rear AC vents below the carpet at the rear which is not mentioned in the brochure and difficult to believe.
No. There are no rear AC vents in any variant of City. However AC is very powerful. I have not found any complaints till now. AC chills to the T.

Quote:
The Sales guy mentioned Michelin as one of the tyres that the Honda City can come as OEM fixtures. Has anybody heard of this? However he says the dealer has no control over which tyre will be allotted to me. I think at the PDI I can look for a car with Michelins perhaps?
Correct. My car came shod with Michelin Energy XM1+. Honda has tie-up with Michelin, MRF and (I think) JK. You can't say which one will get allotted to you.
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 23:15   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The sales person said there are rear AC vents below the carpet at the rear which is not mentioned in the brochure and difficult to believe. Have you been told any such thing?
Hi frequentflyer. I wish to update my response to your query regarding rear AC vents. City indeed has rear AC vents as confirmed by BHPian RavenAvi on this post:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2943717. I have attached a pic.

Sorry for my previous wrong answer.
Attached Thumbnails
My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-ac-floor-vent-2.jpg  

sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 23:17   #45
BHPian

I could not see the vents but the sales person kept insisting they were there! Now I will bend down to take a good look. Surprisingly Honda has not mentioned it in their brochures!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks