Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2012, 02:17   #1
PhX
BHPian

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver

Introduction
My saga ran for about 8 months, and covered everything from hatchbacks to second hand cars before I finally took delivery of my new Honda City today. A quick summary -- it's an Alabaster Silver Corporate Edition 2012 Honda City, bought with minimal accessories.

History - Searching for the right first car
I decided to buy a car in July 2010. I was looking into hatchbacks like the Swift, Jazz, etc. because I didn't want to spend too much on my first car. Plus, in a city like Mumbai, I thought a hatch would be best to navigate and park. I finally settled on the Jazz and waited for the new version to be launched. I booked it 1 week after the launch (August end). I was told that deliveries are scheduled to start within 6-8 weeks, so I'd have the car by November. But as you probably know, things got delayed and I finally decided to give up on the Jazz. I cancelled my booking sometime in November-December, 2011.

Then I started searching for second-hand sedans in the same price range. I found a lot of brokers with Honda Citys (2009 onwards models) and Civics (2008 models) within my budget, but it's not easy to tell if the odos have been fixed or not. I found an original seller, we almost agreed to a deal on a Dec-2009 S-MT for about 6.1L, but at the last minute, she told me that they've changed their mind and don't want to sell! That's when I decided to just give up. I am due to move to another city in a few months anyway, and I thought I'd just buy the car there.

But then, something changed...
Honda launched the new 2012 City. I saw this as an opportunity to buy a 2011 City at throwaway prices, but somehow, just didn't want to buy an outdated model. I hadn't even considered Corporate Edition until I started reading the opinions on TBHP describing CE as the best VFM. The only issue was that I wanted my car by Jan-end, and no Honda dealer could promise that. I then got a call from Hyundai in Jan first week, telling me that I could have the Petrol Verna within 2-3 weeks (thanks to the petrol price hike). I took a test drive. On the same day, I took a TD of the new City. And it was a fairly quick and simple decision.

Honda told me that they are expecting new CEs to come in Feb and they would give me delivery by Feb-end. But I got lucky (for a change). Someone who had booked the January CE backed out, and because I had developed a good relationship with the sales executive, he put my name to get the Jan CE. Only thing is that instead of white, I'd be getting a Silver (which turned out to be for the better, actually!).

So, obviously, I went for it

ICE, Mud and Other Fun Stuff
I wanted a good audio system, everything else was optional. I tried to do a lot of research, but unfortunately, Pioneer's just launched its new products which are not available on the market, so have to wait until month-end or next month to get a HU. I suppose it's a good thing because now I can go revisit my research on speakers.

After a lot of thinking, I decided to also install 3M sunfilm and mudguards. I also debated whether to get my ORVMs, door handles and mudguards to be body-colour painted, but finally decided against it. I drove about 40km after taking delivery, and don't really feel the need to have them painted as of now.

Finally, taking delivery
Went to the showroom this morning to take a look at MY car. I walked around and even sat inside it without realising the engine was running! Awesome. I spoke to the accessories guy. We decided that I would take delivery in the evening wit the sunfilm and the keyless entry. Mudguards were out of stock, so will have them installed next Saturday. Will also reconsider reverse parking sensors and body-coloured paint on mirrors and handles later, but doesn't look likely.

Went back to the showroom at about 5:30 pm, got the TBHP PDI printed and used it as a good reference before taking delivery of the car. We did a small pooja and then I also took it to the gurudwara as well.

The EXPERIENCE
  • Good experience with the dealership--Linkway Honda, Andheri East, Mumbai
  • Have already posted a lot about the car itself in various threads, so won't be repeating myself
  • It feels great to have my own car, finally. 8 months have culminated in what I think is the best possible outcome.
  • The mileage for the first part of today's drive was as low as 5.3 kmpl (seriously terrible traffic jam), which has come to approximately 10 kmpl by the end of the day (~40 km driven)

And now, the best part ... the pictures you've probably been waiting for:

(PS: I'm really tired, so I just selected some of the better pics. If you want me to photograph anything specific, please let me know, and I'll try to do that over the next couple of days.)

THE COMPLETE REVIEW
As per the forum's rules, please find below the complete review:
- All the alternatives that were considered, and why you zeroed in on this particular car
Ans: The only other options I considered were Verna and Vento. With Verna, I just didn't get the "feeling" right. With the Vento, I thought it wasn't VFM. It's just too basic inside in the base version and too expensive in the high-end. Actually, even the Verna is over-priced. I'd rather buy a Corporate Edition City and jazz it up myself.

- Complete booking & delivery experience from the dealership
Ans: Please see above.

- On-road price, discounts etc.
Ans: It cost me approx 8.3L on road including keyless entry, sunfilm (3M) and mudguard.

- Be sure to list the engine type & variant you opted for
Ans: 1.5L Petrol Engine | Variant: Corporate Edition

- The good and / or bad about its equipment levels
Ans: GOOD: All safety features as top-end version. Black interiors. Very little chrome inside. Looks chic, mature, elegant.
BAD: Very few extra features. No alloys, no music system. However, I think this is a good thing because you get to choose your own setup.

- How many kms you have completed at the time of writing your review
Ans: 110 km

- Your usage pattern (e.g. 12 kms daily in dense traffic)
Ans: So far, driven 110 km in 2.5 days. Over the weekend, I drove in a mixture of dense traffic and traffic-less conditions.

- Comments on the exterior styling & design
Ans: Love it. I didn't want the flashy chrome grill on the front, but I'm beginning to think it looks lovely on the silver City, particularly with the nice black-toned bumpers. New rear lights with chrome garnish look almost Mercedes Benz-like.

- Overall build quality and fit & finish
Ans: On the outside--good. On the inside--decent.

- Interior design & quality
Ans: Love the black interiors. Quality of plastics is generally quite good.

- Interior space and comfort
Ans: So far, the 2 people who have sat in the backseat have both complimented the space.

- Air conditioner, seat support, ergonomics and other noteworthy interior points
Ans: EXCELLENT air-conditioner. I frequently have to keep turning it off because it gets too chilly!

- Engine performance & driveability in the city
Ans: Very good. Please read my posts below to know about the "ECO" feature as well.

- Engine performance & driveability on the highway
Ans: Haven't driven on highway yet, but touched 125 in the city comfortably. Felt the steering gets just a liiiiiiittle bit light at high speeds.

- Additional comments on the engine (outright power, refinement, turbo-lag etc.)
Ans: When idling, you cannot tell the car is on. When driving economically, you cannot hear the engine. When you rev it, though, it purrs and sounds like it wants you to go hard! Awesome sound.

- Overall opinion on the engine
Ans: See above.

- Gearshift / transmission quality, smoothness, response time etc.
Ans: Gears not very smooth. I'm not completely impressed. Not sure if this is only in my car or all others, but I'm beginning to think that maybe the gears should have been a touch smoother. But I expect that will happen after the run-in

- Fuel efficiency : City and Highway
Ans: City: 110km done, 10.5 kpl with 90% AC on and a lot of heavy-traffic driving

- Suspension & ride quality
Ans: Suspension is not soft. Ride quality is ok though. It's not hard, and with the increased ground clearance, haven't hit any speedbreaker yet.

- Handling, on-road behaviour and grip levels
Ans: Haven't driven it like a madman yet, so no comment. So far, it's been a very mature drive.

- Comments on the steering, braking, high speed stability etc.
Ans: The steering is really smooth. I love turning this car around in cramped spaces like parking spaces, etc! Good braking as well, you can feel the assisted breaking.

- Any particular likes (damped ashtrays, powerful headlights, music system etc.)
Ans: ECO mode light. Auto lock and auto hazard lights when you open the door while engine is on (but not sure if this is default or a feature of the Autocop keyless entry)

- Any particular dislikes (small mirrors, weak wipers, weak foglamps etc.)
Ans: Nothing so far. Just don't like the orange in the central console. Ugh.

- Review on overall practicality (luggage room, ease of ingress/egress, cubby holes etc.)
Ans: The doors open almost 90 degrees!

- Any niggles, problems or part replacements faced
Ans: None yet (touch wood, thank god, jinx and all other superstitious stuff)

- Quality of after-sales service (if experienced)
Ans: NA

- Cost of upkeep & maintenance
Ans: NA
Attached Thumbnails
My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03967.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03970.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03973.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03974.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03975.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03976.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03979.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03983.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03985.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03990.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03991.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03995.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03998.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc03999.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc04002.jpg  

My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver-dsc04003.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by PhX : 7th February 2012 at 01:44.
PhX is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 02:46   #2
BHPian

Re: My First Car - Honda City 2012 Silver

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 16:23.
a2k24 is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2012, 05:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Lovely car, and trust me Honda's make lovely engines too. Its additive, and it begs you to push harder. Congratulations on buying this wonderful machine. May you have many many happy miles with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
(PS: I'm really tired. If you want me to photograph anything specific, please let me know
Yes please, there seems to be problem with camera focusing on the face, next time please use a different camera so as human face comes clear .

Seriously, pardon me for asking, i do get logic of cutting off the number plate (if i try hard), but cutting face, hmmmmm, i am trying to think. Unable to reach any sort of conclusion. Please help.

PS : All in good humor
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 09:03   #4
BHPian

Congrats Paahji, the silver streak is lovely. Whatever car you buy the feeling and the smell of new rubber and plastic is common across all buyers, isn't it?

Wish you happy lightyears with your baby ! How much did the CE cost you and how lower specced it is as compared to other higher variants. I personally liked the dark interiors of this rather the beige.
Berry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 09:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Many, many congratulations my friend!

You made the wisest decision by going for a new CE, rather than a second-hand City. And you indeed got lucky! The car looks absolutely smashing (mine is going to be the same as well), and you are beaming beside it!

Good luck with the ICE hunt. I am always around, if you need further advice.

Enjoy the car and happy mile-crunching! Keep revving the i-VTEC!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 09:49   #6
PhX
BHPian

Mod Note : STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Lovely car, and trust me Honda's make lovely engines too. Its additive, and it begs you to push harder. Congratulations on buying this wonderful machine. May you have many many happy miles with it.
Yes, can't wait to take it on the highway. Already started thinking of places around Mumbai that are good to drive to

Quote:
Yes please, there seems to be problem with camera focusing on the face, next time please use a different camera so as human face comes clear .

Seriously, pardon me for asking, i do get logic of cutting off the number plate (if i try hard), but cutting face, hmmmmm, i am trying to think. Unable to reach any sort of conclusion. Please help.
Hehe. Next time will use a different camera that blurs out entire person and not just the face
I think logic is the same. Not wanting to reveal too much private information just yet. I have not been to any TBHP meets, so don't know anyone in person. Also considering TBHP is so popular, don't want pictures of me floating around on the net so freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
Congrats Paahji, the silver streak is lovely. Whatever car you buy the feeling and the smell of new rubber and plastic is common across all buyers, isn't it?
Definitely. For me, the best thing is that I feel at home driving it. Though I've mostly driven a Maruti 800 before this, I felt comfortable driving it around the city.

Quote:
Wish you happy lightyears with your baby ! How much did the CE cost you and how lower specced it is as compared to other higher variants. I personally liked the dark interiors of this rather the beige.
Thanks

On-road, it cost me about 8.3L, which includes 15k worth of sun-film, keyless entry and mudflaps (to be installed coming Saturday).

In comparison, E-MT would have cost me about 9L on road, and S-MT would have cost 9.5L on road. Paying about 60-70k extra for E-MT makes no sense, but if you have a budget, you can go for the S-MT.

But note that mine doesn't have any ICE yet, though I plan to change that within a month's time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Many, many congratulations my friend!

You made the wisest decision by going for a new CE, rather than a second-hand City. And you indeed got lucky! The car looks absolutely smashing (mine is going to be the same as well), and you are beaming beside it!

Good luck with the ICE hunt. I am always around, if you need further advice.

Enjoy the car and happy mile-crunching! Keep revving the i-VTEC!
Hey Avi, I was waiting for your post on this! Thank you very much. I am loving it! (the car)

I have already done 40-odd km yesterday itself, and in a city like Bombay, that's quite a bit Best part is that I got to stretch it a bit on low-traffic roads as well as could get comfortable with it in high-traffic as well.

Look forward to reading your thread in this forum! And obviously, will get in touch with you for the ICE, since both of us seem to be going for similar setup (Pioneer, etc).

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 16:25. Reason: STRICTLY no more than 2 smilies per post please
PhX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 09:54   #7
BHPian

If you have a budget then install a harmon kardon audio system , don't know where you can buy in Bombay from but other members can throw some light on it.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX
Already started thinking of places around Mumbai that are good to drive to
Finally! :clap
Congratulations! Wish you safe miles on your new acquisition.
Old 5th February 2012, 10:00   #9
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry View Post
If you have a budget then install a harmon kardon audio system , don't know where you can buy in Bombay from but other members can throw some light on it.
Thanks, I'll look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
Finally! :clap
Congratulations! Wish you safe miles on your new acquisition.
Thanks Nitin, and yes, it's finally here. I suspect mine is probably the second CE on TBHP after yours.
Old 5th February 2012, 12:12   #10
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 6th February 2012 at 16:26.
M124 is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th February 2012, 13:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

A very crisp review and some nice photos. I plan to buy one soon and the CE makes some real VFM buy.

I need to ask you one question - The chrome grill is standard right ? Or is it an aftermarket accessory ? I thought the CE came with a black one.

Also I assume both driver and passenger get airbags.

Very sensible buy and I will keep an eye out to see what FE you will get on this. I assume it should be 12 + in city / mix driving.

Happy driving and once again congratulations.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 14:02   #12
BHPian

Congratulations. Honda City CE is a absolute value for money and it just looks awesome in the particular colour.
Cheers!!
Bubby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 14:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice of car and variant. Actually the black ORVM's and Door handles doesnt look out of place (Is it matt finished or glossy black?), I only wish they had given the front grill also in black instead of chrome which will gel well with the overall look of the car. Get a good set of alloys and a decent ICE set up and you will be all set.

Wishing you a very memorable ownership experience.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 16:10   #14
BHPian

Congratulations. Honda City CE is sure VFM.

It seems lot of members are opting for the CE variant, as you can add most of the feature of top vairant as per personal choice.

Regarding mileage, if you drive with very light foot, then you can extract very good mileage from the iVetc engine. But, I would say just enjoy the car now.

Keep updating the thread with your experiences.
Ram_NP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2012, 16:11   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
Hey Avi, I was waiting for your post on this! Thank you very much. I am loving it! (the car)

I have already done 40-odd km yesterday itself, and in a city like Bombay, that's quite a bit. Best part is that I got to stretch it a bit on low-traffic roads as well as could get comfortable with it in high-traffic as well.

Look forward to reading your thread in this forum! And obviously, will get in touch with you for the ICE, since both of us seem to be going for similar setup (Pioneer, etc).
LOL just wait and see. You will get addicted to the i-VTEC when it starts kicking in from ~3K rpm mark. After that you cannot stop driving the City, my friend - petrol bills be damned!

Definitely. I have started sourcing my stuff (new Pioneer AVH-P2490 BT and JBL/Infinity finalised and ordered, should be getting them in the next week or two) and will be sharing full details with you and everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I need to ask you one question - The chrome grill is standard right ? Or is it an aftermarket accessory ? I thought the CE came with a black one.

Also I assume both driver and passenger get airbags.
Yes the chrome grill is standard (ergo the complaint from many that the new City is overdosing on chrome, but IMO it gels well with white/silver body color and black interiors). The CE has black interiors - seats, dashboard, AC knobs, etc.

Yes, the Corporate gets full safety features, which includes both driver and passenger airbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Excellent choice of car and variant. Actually the black ORVM's and Door handles doesnt look out of place (Is it matt finished or glossy black?), I only wish they had given the front grill also in black instead of chrome which will gel well with the overall look of the car. Get a good set of alloys and a decent ICE set up and you will be all set.
It's more plain black than glossy, bala. And I agree with you - the ORVMs and door handles actually compliment both White and Silver colors for the City quite nicely. I am having second thoughts about my paint job now. It looks nice and classy with a nice little dual-tone touch to the overall look of the car. Not to mention it gels nicely with the black interiors as well.

Yes, a black grille would have looked great with the car. But the chrome one doesn't look too bad either. Adds to the classy look of the City.

The new V MT alloys are actually cheaper than the old V MT alloys (which now adorn the S MT). Surprise, surprise!

The new 10-spoke alloys cost about 6,250/- each - that's 25K for a set of 4, whereas the older 5-spoke ones cost about 10,500/- each - that's 42K for a set of 4! Upon asking for clarification, the dealer said that the older alloys are more sturdy and tough than the newer ones, and will last the distance. I am not sure why Honda put them on the new V MT. The 10-spokes should have come with the S MT instead, if they are cheaper. Maybe they wanted the new V MT to have different looks, alloy-wise? Only Honda can answer this.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 5th February 2012 at 16:13.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks