Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2012, 08:15   #16
BHPian

re: White Scorpio SLE 7 seater bought home! *UPDATE: 1000 km completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Congrats buddy. The mHawk is a gem of an engine. I have never enjoyed driving an SUV as much as I have enjoyed the Scorpio.
Thanks raj_5004. It is indeed a great SUV to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Scorpio in white looks real good, only pain point is keeping it shiny clean is going to be a herculean task.

You TD'ed the XUV as well, how does the lottery system works, does the draw happen every week or every month. What differences you noticed between the XUV and the Scorpio?
Actually, maintaining White is easier than black.

As far as lottery system goes, the details can be found at Mahindra XUV500 | Price, Review, Videos, Test Drive, Photos and Specifications | Latest SUV in India

The last date was 3rd Feb and they will be announcing the "winners" on 15th. There is a huge difference between XUV and Scorpio in terms of handing and driveability. XUV is more planted and easier to maneuver (not that Scorpio is difficult). It is worth spending Rs 3L over SLE and buying it. And that's what we also planned till the draw came and we picked up next best thing while we wait for the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Congrats on your new purchase. It is really a good vehicle and white looks good and also is easy to maintain. Do post some interior pictures also. Any accessories planned? Wish you many happy and safe miles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
congrats on your purchase. i am looking to go for the Scorpio but the SLE is a big stretch. i feel M&M has underquipped the LX and left a big gap between the 2 models.
they could have put some good to have features and had a model in between given the price difference is about 2 lakhs
LX should have atleast ABS, rest of them are mostly cosmetic features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k!ng_@thur View Post
I'll let you know when im in the mood for sailing....
Oh sailor, for that you just need to change your ride from your hot pink zen to your dolphin shaped NHC and off you go

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Hi there , congrats on your scorp and welcome to the club , SLE is VFM buy . Even i had to get the Shim adjusted in my car within 100 odd kms as it was pulling to the left .
Thanks rm_arjuna, taking him to service center today !
Old 12th February 2012, 10:12   #17
BHPian

Tbhpians,

Got the Topgun to Mahindra service center exclusive only for Scorpio and XUV. Service advisor says that most likely the pulling on left is due to wheel alignment. They will also look into shim issue is problem is not resolved by alignment.

Name:  ForumRunner_20120212_101152.png
Views: 2820
Size:  356.3 KB

Meanwhile, here are few pics of the Topgun being attendes to.

Cheers,
Dieseling

PS: Mods, the andoid app doesnt support multi quote. Can the app be updated to include the same?
Attached Images

Old 12th February 2012, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Hi Dieseling! Congrats for the beast. The SLE is is best buy in the lot as it comes with useful ABS and other utilities like Power windows, Central Locking etc. Simple without any techno stuff like tpms, Micro hybrid, cruise control etc.

By the way, What if you win the draw and are allotted a XUV? Will you go for it too?

Any plans to add alloys and music to the Topgun?
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 18:11   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseling View Post
Got the Topgun to Mahindra service center exclusive only for Scorpio and XUV. Service advisor says that most likely the pulling on left is due to wheel alignment.
Is this their service center at Noida? I ve been there a couple of times and the Head of Service is a good friend of mine. Do let me know if you need any help.

In one of the pictures, I noticed that you still have the plastic cover on your rear bull bar and I would recommend removing it since it will result in pre mature dust and moisture accumulation on the bull bar and its corrosion and loss of sheen.

Finally, after driving a Scorpio for around 100k kms, I can confidently say that there is not a single moment I regret owning/driving it. This is one vehicle with a lot of individual identity. Enjoy the drive.
Old 12th February 2012, 20:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blow Horn Ok View Post
Hi Dieseling! Congrats for the beast. The SLE is is best buy in the lot as it comes with useful ABS and other utilities like Power windows, Central Locking etc. Simple without any techno stuff like tpms, Micro hybrid, cruise control etc.

By the way, What if you win the draw and are allotted a XUV? Will you go for it too?

Any plans to add alloys and music to the Topgun?
Yes, we would go for XUV as well, though that would be financed and used by dad and wouldn't mind switching rides many a times with him

Alloys - Not yet, maybe after 2 services.
Music System - Yes; and considering options from the car infotainment thread !

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Is this their service center at Noida? I ve been there a couple of times and the Head of Service is a good friend of mine. Do let me know if you need any help.

This is Koncept Automobiles service center at Okhla (Phase 1). The Noida one is also Koncept? I would surely keep your generous offer in mind while going in for first service, and many thanks for the same.

In one of the pictures, I noticed that you still have the plastic cover on your rear bull bar and I would recommend removing it since it will result in pre mature dust and moisture accumulation on the bull bar and its corrosion and loss of sheen.

Oh, I did not know that. I thought it would protect the rear bar from the very same moisture as it is not in open. Will remove the cover soon.

Finally, after driving a Scorpio for around 100k kms, I can confidently say that there is not a single moment I regret owning/driving it. This is one vehicle with a lot of individual identity. Enjoy the drive.
I have not stop smiling ever since I bought Topgun
Old 12th February 2012, 20:44   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice car man! Do I see an updated grill ? Don't think they had full chrome stuff before! And as you said, I would have loved to have ABS in LX. Hope they reposition their models in a short span and offer ABS in all versions!
Old 12th February 2012, 21:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Nice car man! Do I see an updated grill ? Don't think they had full chrome stuff before! And as you said, I would have loved to have ABS in LX. Hope they reposition their models in a short span and offer ABS in all versions!
No, as i have mentioned earlier, they still have the walrus single chrome tooth in front grill. Though I am not a chrome fan but that single tooth was looking way to odd and this looks much much better hence I got full front grill chromed up.
Dieseling is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2012, 22:29   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...hence I got full front grill chromed up.
How much did it cost? Done at the dealer / A$$ itself? Just curious, you could have actually covered the chrome walrus tooth in matte black sticker right? Or is it not possible [I want to know about the option of using matte black rather than preference - you may not prefer it, but can it be done] ?
Old 13th February 2012, 00:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How much did it cost? Done at the dealer / A$$ itself? Just curious, you could have actually covered the chrome walrus tooth in matte black sticker right? Or is it not possible [I want to know about the option of using matte black rather than preference - you may not prefer it, but can it be done] ?
It costed me Rs. 1,200/-
I have no idea whether cover up using matte be done. I had thought about white as I thought it would better (I have to admit, the chrome grill does look better than all white as well). But the dealer said that chrome is easier to be done as it is just a cover that goes on to the whole grill.
Old 19th February 2012, 12:46   #25
BHPian

1000kms Update (Mods, kindly update the thread to 1000 kms update).

The Topgun completed 1000kms on Friday, in about 12 days. Absolute gem to drive. The first service is at 5000 kms so this is not a service update but just milestone update. Few observations so far:

1. Engine has become much more refine in these 1000 kms. Have followed the run-in procedure to great extent, with occasional 110-120kmph testing speeds.

2. For the first 2 times it went past 110kmph mark, there was a huge surge in air intake and Topgun momentarily vibrated unexpectedly. The same has not happened 2-3 times after that. I guess, there is a high speed air intake "run in" as well when the engine acclimatizes to such speeds and air intake. Kindly correct me if I am wrong. No such vibrations experienced under 100-110 kmps speeds. Very smooth engine and brilliant power delivery.

3. Best seats are the front seats. Middle seat is comfortable but cant match the bucket seats at front. Also, middle row is more susceptible to the body roll as compared to front seats. At times, I have slept with front passenger seat reclined to near flat bed position. Very comfortable.

4. I would surely have wanted cup holder at the back. Because of the AC vent, there are not there in that place, neither in the arm-rest. I need to get them installed.

5. There is no place this car cannot go. I took her from a mini off-roading to into about a quarter feet to 1 feet deep water and nothing (where was this? inner roads in gurgaon, with one of the roads under water on account of water pipe blast). Though I make a conscious effort not to splash water on other vehicles, I simply love the look on other car owners faces when they see my monster Topgun gliding past by them while they struggle in a line. That look I tell you overshadows whatever minor flaws it has (but then again, which car is flawless?)

6. So far, Topgun has given me mileage of about 10-11 kmpl. But the last filling has resulted in close to 12-13kmpl, which is expected. As engines settled down and gets more refined, I expect Topgun to return about 12-14kmpl. Even Sweefty (my Swift VDI ABS) gave me 12kmpl for initial 1000 kms, which went upto 14-15 after 5000 kms and was giving me 17-18kmpl after 10,000 kms till recently when I sold it at 24,000kms. So I expect as a thumbrule, Topgun to give me about 2-3kmpl less than Sweefty.

7. Topgun got inaugurated on Delhi roads when a biker scratched lower left side of bumper while trying to get to the front row at a red light. The scratch is small, towards the lower side of bumper so it aint as visible. The biker on the other hand lost control momentarily but thankfully was not hurt. He apologized for his behaviour as I told him not to indulge in such antics.

8. The Nippon security system work well. I got the locks automated, as they dont come automated in SLE, only in VLx. That is just Mahindra marketing gimmick of auto locks on driving. It takes 5 mins to get that enabled at Service centre or you can do yourself as well.

9. The only issue I face was the shim one as mentioned above. It was sorted in an hour and Topgun doesnt stray now.

Will keep the Tbhpians updated about the Topgun.

Last edited by Dieseling : 19th February 2012 at 12:48.
Old 23rd February 2012, 18:53   #26
BHPian

Re: White Scorpio SLE 7 seater bought home! *UPDATE: 1000 km completed!

Quote:
Tbhpians,

11. Scorpio:

So I sat behind the steering and oh boy, the good old days were back again. Yes the gear level vibrates, but then read the list above - not a deal breaker for me. Comfort level - sure not same as innova or safari but passes the minimum benchmark. Body roll is less than my swift, seat are comfortable.

So yes, you can feel the tyre on the road but body roll is indeed lesser than my swift. Both vertical and horizontal flying stretches are limited. This is when I am talking of bad potholes, this monster eats up small speed breakers and bad stretches of road (not heavily potholes but not clean tarmac either).
Congrats on your new ride Dieseling.. Few months back even I was eying on buying the Mighty Muscular 4X4.

Coming back to this thread, there are two instances where you have mentioned Scorpio has lesser body roll than swift

My understanding till now was Scorpio or for that matter any SUV has more body roll owing to their heights and Swift has been a benchmark in the handling section. Since you have owned Swift also, could you explain/justify this with an example? It will help me understand this better. I am actually unable to digest that how Scorpio has less body roll than Swift because almost everyone talks about bouncy rides of Scorpio
Old 24th February 2012, 12:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniket.tiwari27 View Post
Congrats on your new ride Dieseling.. Few months back even I was eying on buying the Mighty Muscular 4X4.

Coming back to this thread, there are two instances where you have mentioned Scorpio has lesser body roll than swift

My understanding till now was Scorpio or for that matter any SUV has more body roll owing to their heights and Swift has been a benchmark in the handling section. Since you have owned Swift also, could you explain/justify this with an example? It will help me understand this better. I am actually unable to digest that how Scorpio has less body roll than Swift because almost everyone talks about bouncy rides of Scorpio
Hi Aniket,

See, handling wise Swift is much ahead than Scorpio or any other SUV (XUV coming close) I test drove. But the back seat is pathetic and it is really bouncy there. I felt body roll to be more pronounced in Swift as you sit at a position lower than centre of gravity with knees bent and not at right angles. So for me, it was very uncomfortable, as I am close to 6 feet. So you end up folded like a ball (well, not to that extent but you know what I am talking about) which makes body roll pronounced. Mind you, Swift as a driver's car is brilliant but back seat is really bad

In Scorpio, you sit in line with center of gravity, even though at a height. So while there is body roll as you expect from every SUV, maybe more than Swift in absolute measurable terms, but my body was able to take is better as now I sit inline with CoG and with knees at right angles. Infact, the same thing I also noticed in our Wagon R as well. The backseat was more comfortable than Swift on account of tall seating position. Scorpio's back seat bounciness has been reduced to a great extent in past couple of years. I travelled in 2.6 CRDe for good 500kms Delhi-CHD trip, days before test driving the SLe and there is considerable difference. One would fly around in 2.6 CRDe backseat but that is not the case with SLe, specially when they fine tuned the 2009 Refresh model further more in 2010 and 2011. Of course, you would feel being thrown around in any car if you drive carelessly on bad roads, though the effect in Scorpio would be bit more than Swift. Having said that, a huge huge plus point is that you head doesnt crash in the roof in Scorpio on such occasions, i have suffered in Swift when my driver failed to spot an unmarked speed breaker at considerable speed.

And usually, people complain about body roll in like to like scenario which is unfair. I dont take curves at 100kmph in scorpio which I could in Swift. If i take the same curve at 80kmph, then body roll is not felt and is certainly not a deal breaker. You just need to treat the vehicle as it supposed to be.

Bottomline, Scorpio back seat comfort in all possible aspects is better than swift. Though, I have to admit that people with height less than 5.5 ft would be more comfortable in swift back seat than Scorpio.
Old 27th February 2012, 20:18   #28

Hi Diesling,

I have followed ur complete thread, u were fabulous. The efforts taken for the review and the review itself is of a superb standard. Keep it up partner. Are we going to see a new mod shortly?? I had options between Innova, Scorpio and New Xylo from couple of months and oh boy, once I read ur review Im gaga over Scorpio. You have dealt a subject in the way its to be dealt. In fact I can say that while u were objective in ur assessment, u have given each vehicle its well deserved respect. I think with that my perception of selecting a vehicle has become more refined. Keep it up friend and happy landings. Should be joining the gang soon.
Old 15th March 2012, 02:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarms View Post
Hi Diesling,

I have followed ur complete thread, u were fabulous. The efforts taken for the review and the review itself is of a superb standard. Keep it up partner. Are we going to see a new mod shortly?? I had options between Innova, Scorpio and New Xylo from couple of months and oh boy, once I read ur review Im gaga over Scorpio. You have dealt a subject in the way its to be dealt. In fact I can say that while u were objective in ur assessment, u have given each vehicle its well deserved respect. I think with that my perception of selecting a vehicle has become more refined. Keep it up friend and happy landings. Should be joining the gang soon.
Thank you for your kind comments, and pardon me for delayed reply as I have been caught up with work.

Topgun completed 2000kms (2245kms, to be precise). I would try and put up an update over the weekend. It might end up being a 2,500 km update

Cheers,
Dieseling

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks