Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 11:27   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Black Beauty: Skoda Laura. EDIT: 5000 Kms Update

Congrats Yash!
May you enjoy many years of thrilling driving in your beast!
Incidentally we are also going in for a second Skoda (we already have a Yeti) in our family - getting a Laura Ambiente MT for my wife in Rosso Brunello colour- delivery in this week - Wed/Thu. I know many TBHP members would think that we are out of our minds to take such a risk of two Skoda's, but somehow in the past 1 year, we have had a good experience and we are ready to go for it a second time!

Regards,
Behemoth
Old 20th February 2012, 14:50   #17
BHPian

Congratulations pal, you forgot the FE - I have the Ambiente MT too - purchased last year, gave me 14.5 kmpl before the first service which was last month (service is only after 15k kilometres) and now it gives me 16.5 - IN THE CITY!! You are in for one hell of a saving compared to your SX4 :-)
Old 20th February 2012, 15:11   #18
BHPian

Many a congrats Y@sh on the beauty. The Laura looks best in black. Would recommend that you get the 3m paint protection done to minimize the swirls which come from the friendly neighborhood car cleaner's cloth.

Another good touch by Skoda to introduce the black floor carpets, will go a long way in helping you maintaining it. Hoping to see your car in one of the Mumbai meets.

cheers,
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goutham_r View Post
The floor mats since when did they change the color of the floor carpet ? or is it an option?
Thanks Goutham! The base carpet is black now instead of beige and skoda provided free mats which also had the locking system for the drivers side. On those mats I have put mats which were provided by dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Congrats on the new car y@sh
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Congratulations on your Laura
Considering the segment, Skoda should have provided the steering mounted controls, ACC and USB port in all models (except for maybe the Active variant). But alas.
THanks raVan! Yeah really miss steering mounted controls and USB port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Interesting to note that Skoda have changed the base carpets to black. But to be honest it looks to be a bit of a mismatch with the rest of the interiors. Suggest you Get 3D floor mats. They suit the Laura very well.
Any reason why Jetta MT was never in your list of probables? Given that it comes in 140 hp state of tune Vs. 110 hp of the Laura MT.
Drive Safe!
Thanks Santosh! It may look like a mismatch in the picture but when you are sitting inside it doesnt as even the dashboard is black, hence it gels with the combination. Jetta wasnt in my list because of the fact that it can be easily mistaken for the vento! I never liked the looks of the new jetta, feel its too similar to the vento

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Congratulation Yash! The Laura looks stunning. But, I have a question. Didn't you consider the new Jetta? A manual Jetta has 30 more horses under the hood, which surely enhance the driving pleasure.
I will be booking a new car soon, of the same segment and would love to hear your views in this matter.
PS - Skoda offers huge discounts. Didn't you try and push?
Thanks DeKay! Jetta wasnt in my list because of the fact that it can be easily mistaken for the vento! I never liked the looks of the new jetta, feel its too similar to the vento. Tried a lot 60k was the max I could manage, I think discounts vary with variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Congrats Yash!
May you enjoy many years of thrilling driving in your beast!
Thanks Behemoth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgkaran View Post
Congratulations pal, you forgot the FE - I have the Ambiente MT too - purchased last year, gave me 14.5 kmpl before the first service which was last month (service is only after 15k kilometres) and now it gives me 16.5 - IN THE CITY!! You are in for one hell of a saving compared to your SX4 :-)
Thanks kgKaran! I felt it was too early to mention anything about FE but currently im getting 12kmpl in the city. Oh thats nice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemonic View Post
Many a congrats Y@sh on the beauty. The Laura looks best in black. Would recommend that you get the 3m paint protection done to minimize the swirls which come from the friendly neighborhood car cleaner's cloth.
Another good touch by Skoda to introduce the black floor carpets, will go a long way in helping you maintaining it. Hoping to see your car in one of the Mumbai meets.
cheers,
Thanks mnemonic!
Im planning to just send it for 3M polishing once a year. I feel that paint protection will reduce the paint thickness. The paint of this the laura is of extremely high quality. Ive given my cleaner a Mitt cloth to wash my cars with so I hope the risk of getting swirls is reduced! Also told him to not apply pressure while washing. Hope it helps!
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Thanks! vinj14's car is a DSG so getting the Vrs steering is out, as it comes with paddle shifters. No mods planned for now may install the BOLERO couple of years down the line.
Congrats man! Great car! Timeless looks and perfect size for squeezing around in city traffic!

Actually you can get the multifunction steering without paddles. Would probably be a hundred dollars less than the one with paddles. But you would also have to change your steering wheel control module. If you have a smart chap willing to help you fit all this in the skoda service centre then you should definitely go for it!
Bolero is a superb mod! Super functionally and adds a classy touch to the already awesome interiors! But bolero + OE bluetooth kit is even better!

You got black carpets?? Lucky man ! Well done skoda! Makes it soo much easier to maintain now!
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:05   #21
BHPian

Congrats Y@ash, you've got yourself a beauty, both to drive and to look. The black makes the car look a segment above as well. But requires good care. Suggest you use Collinite wax one in three months and top up with Collinite 845 sealant once a month to maintain the luster.

Happy driving and keep revving it mate
Old 25th February 2012, 09:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Y@SH,

Congrats !!!

now you'd do well to maintain the gloss.

If you can spend half an hour a month , please use some Meguiar's Speed glaze polish ; very easy to apply and wipe off.

The results are fantastic.
I found a lot of Collinite and Meguiar products on Ebay. The links to the specific product you mentioned is

Meguiar's M8032 Speed Glaze - 32 oz. | eBay

Is this what you were referring to? I have a Coido Car Polisher -- which of these two (Meguiar or Collinite) would be appropriate for the buffer?
Old 25th February 2012, 17:23   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I'd recommend Meguiars simply because I've tried and tested it.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:16   #24
BHPian

Guys need your help,

Had gone to lonavala for the weekend. While returning after the expressway got over, noticed a funny sound coming from the front of the vehicle, its towards the front left tyre area. The noise occurs when the car is in the first gear. It sounds like a flush in an aeroplane. Looks like something is loose or is touching something else, first I thought something had stuck to the bottom of the car and was making noise. The car has no issues other than that, drove all the way back from vashi to juhu hearing that sound couple of times, mostly apparent in traffic. What could it be? Sending it to the workshop mostly tomorrow.

Thanks

Last edited by Y@SH : 26th February 2012 at 16:28.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:39   #25
BHPian

10-day-old Laura: First problem discovered.

Guys need your help,

Had gone to lonavala for the weekend. While returning after the expressway got over, noticed a funny sound coming from the front of the vehicle, its towards the front left tyre area. The noise occurs when the car is at low speeds (1st/2nd gear). It sounds like a flush in an aeroplane or more like someone sucking from a straw with nothing in the glass (hope you get what im saying) Looks like something is loose or is touching something else, first I thought something had stuck to the bottom of the car and was making noise. The car has no issues other than that, drove all the way back from vashi to juhu hearing that sound couple of times, mostly apparent in traffic. What could it be? Sending it to the workshop mostly tomorrow, will keep you updated

Thanks

Last edited by Y@SH : 26th February 2012 at 16:52.
Old 26th February 2012, 16:59   #26
Senior - BHPian

re: 10-day-old Laura: First problem discovered.

I used to get that sound when the AC gas was low. Of course, my car is an old OHC and such problems are expected. Should not happen in a 10 day old car.
Have you noticed any drop in AC cooling effectiveness?
Old 26th February 2012, 17:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I used to get that sound when the AC gas was low. Of course, my car is an old OHC and such problems are expected. Should not happen in a 10 day old car.
Have you noticed any drop in AC cooling effectiveness?
To get that checked I even shut off the AC at one point while returning, but still that sound continued. I dont think anything to do with the AC system as its brand new. Thanks for the reply
Old 26th February 2012, 17:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

I got what you are saying even i get same sort of noise from my accent in B2B traffic, mostly in 1st gear and occasionally in 2nd gear. I got serviced my ac just 2 days back but still noise is there. Apparently goes when i accelerate more and then leave the clutch. I guess its something to do with clutch.

Visited my near FNG he suspected AC which i got serviced but still this noise persist. He told me to bring the car again in coming weekend. This noise had been in my car for over a month but am still not able to suspect issue. Please update us if you find solution that will be surely a great help to me as well.

This noise had been in my car for over a month but am still not able to suspect issue.

Hope this is the first and last problem in your car.

Cheers
Sameer
Old 26th February 2012, 18:39   #29
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Guys need your help,

The noise occurs when the car is at low speeds (1st/2nd gear). It sounds like a flush in an aeroplane or more like someone sucking from a straw with nothing in the glass (hope you get what im saying)

Thanks
Could be the secondary fan switching ON which is making the noise. Just a guess. IMO all most all critical ops are monitored by sensors in Laura, so anything major you will get CEL flashing.
Old 26th February 2012, 21:03   #30
BHPian

Re: 10-day-old Laura: First problem discovered.

Sometimes there is a small pebble or dust stuck between the discs that cause a kind of grating sound. A thourough check up at the workshop is however the best bet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks