Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2012, 20:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Picasso - My new Hyundai i20 Asta (Petrol) in Coral White

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
I inquired about this issue from the sales person and he said that its no longer an issue. He said the reason for the rattle was that people made steering adjustments while the car was in motion.
I am sorry, but the sales guy is either a complete dumbo or was trying to make a bakra out of you. This "new" reason for the steering rattle is the funniest one I have heard so far. Who in their right minds,would be insane enough to do the circus of adjusting the steering wheel when one is driving the car ? Think about it.

The reason for the recurring steering rattle issues in the i20 is the poor steering system design itself. The problem has been in the car right from its launch.

Read the older i20 threads,you will get an idea of how pathetically Hyundai has handled the issue and how its treated customers who complained about it often.

If you go through my ownership thread, you will see a video of the steering rattle in my car. I had to make that video, because I was being labelled a mad man and that I "hear " things by these Hyundai jokers. After I sent them that video, they did not have an answer for it, except admitting that the rattle could indeed be heard and it was an issue in my car.

I also have an e-mail from Hyundai, in which acknowledged the steering rattle issue, they said they will come back to me when the have a permanent fix for it, essentially meaning, in its current state, the problem cannot be fixed!!!! Many of the workshops have told troubled owners the same thing. Now where does one go, when the company has given up on the issue and the owners have to live the steering rattle issue? For a problem that is essentially the company's fault, owners are suffering.

So, the steering rattle issue still exists, contrary to what Hyundai wants to believe.
Old 26th February 2012, 21:25   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your latest acquisition p'arth. The car just looks Brilliant in White

Hope you just have an un-eventful ownership of this Truly Premium Hatch back for many years to come, though it has few niggles to otherwise a True segment winner. I have always loved I20 and so have my friends who own it. Just looking ahead for the Facelift which is around the corner.

Wish you Many Happy miles and drive safe.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 15:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
P'arth, Congrats on the new car. Nice pictures of the interiors. You sure know how to use the cam while writing a car review

The part where it says not to idle the engine for more than 3 minutes, is it a precaution to be taken only during the initial run-in period or something that has to be followed through the life of the car? I am asking this since one of my best friends has an i20 (era) petrol which has run about 17k kms till now.
Thx DudeWithaFiat. Advent of digital cameras has helped rookies like me to click virtually unlimited pics and then select only the better ones.

Idle time of 3 minutes is mentioned only for the run-in period in the manual. Not sure if that is otherwise recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Congratulations, i20 is one of the best looking and at the same time loaded car in this segment. The internal dash quality and the rest of the car feels premium once you sit inside. We never drove i20 but had a chance to sit in one and the ride feels absolutely well planted and stable even over not so good roads.

Don't worry too much about the expensive repairs, do take good care of her and she should serve you for long long time.
Thx mayankjha1806. The premiumness of the car was one of the major deciding factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats P'arth on your new ride. i20 is one of the few premium hatchbacks that looks good both exterior as well as inetriors. Besides the fully loaded features can easily be compared to any C-segment sedans.

Do keep updating your ownership thread. Wishing you loads of trouble free years.
Thx arup.misra. Will definitely try to keep the updates flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowaby View Post
Congratulations on your new purchase! Welcome to the i20 club. Its an amazing car and gives a very Good Driving experience. Just as You said the gear shift and pedal response is like hot knife on butter. The design and front seat experience is luxurious! Happy Driving!Try using your Bluetooth to pair it with your phone while Driving. Works amazingly. Also the ipod works like a charm on the company fitted speakers.. Try fitting a glovebox lamp From the showroom. You'll get the details for the same on my thread. Its cheap and very useful during the nighttime.
Thx arrowaby. I could easily pair my samsung galaxy phone with the bluetooth system. However there is some trouble in pairing with my BB curve. BB keeps waiting for some acknowledgement from the bluetooth system after entering the code 0000. Will try again on this, else will reach out to i20 + BB owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Very detailed review of i20 after a long time.
Congratulations!
And for the following:
>>The brown and grainy dash is highly reflective during full sunlight.

Use polarized sun glasses. You won't see any glare.
Thx S_U_N. Though there are 7K units of i20 sold every month, these are not getting converted into equivalent no. of reviews on TBHP. Hence this was also a motivation to compile a detailed review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Congratulations on the new car P'arth. Wonderful review supported by great pictures, I must say. Don't know if this is the TBHP bug, but even owners like you have started writing such engrossing reviews, which the TBHP mods are now famous for. Keep it up buddy

All the pros about the car that you have mentioned goes to show why the i20 is the best selling premium hatchback in our country today (rattling & other issues like handling not withstanding). It ticks all the right boxes, which 95% of the car buying populace looks for. Keep this thread ticking with your experience in the coming days, with lots of pictures of course.
Thx AutoIndian for the comparison. Reviews from Mods are a class apart and inpiring a lot of us. In general the quality of reviews from TBHP user community has gone up considerably. I have been reading these reviews since 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
I am sorry, but the sales guy is either a complete dumbo or was trying to make a bakra out of you. This "new" reason for the steering rattle is the funniest one I have heard so far. Who in their right minds,would be insane enough to do the circus of adjusting the steering wheel when one is driving the car ? Think about it.

The reason for the recurring steering rattle issues in the i20 is the poor steering system design itself. The problem has been in the car right from its launch.

Read the older i20 threads,you will get an idea of how pathetically Hyundai has handled the issue and how its treated customers who complained about it often.

If you go through my ownership thread, you will see a video of the steering rattle in my car. I had to make that video, because I was being labelled a mad man and that I "hear " things by these Hyundai jokers. After I sent them that video, they did not have an answer for it, except admitting that the rattle could indeed be heard and it was an issue in my car.

I also have an e-mail from Hyundai, in which acknowledged the steering rattle issue, they said they will come back to me when the have a permanent fix for it, essentially meaning, in its current state, the problem cannot be fixed!!!! Many of the workshops have told troubled owners the same thing. Now where does one go, when the company has given up on the issue and the owners have to live the steering rattle issue? For a problem that is essentially the company's fault, owners are suffering.

So, the steering rattle issue still exists, contrary to what Hyundai wants to believe.
India is also the export hub for i20s. I wonder if the export variants have also faced this steering issue. Dont think the steering column is a part that will be different for Indian and export market. Do you have a clue on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Congrats on your latest acquisition p'arth. The car just looks Brilliant in White

Hope you just have an un-eventful ownership of this Truly Premium Hatch back for many years to come, though it has few niggles to otherwise a True segment winner. I have always loved I20 and so have my friends who own it. Just looking ahead for the Facelift which is around the corner.

Wish you Many Happy miles and drive safe.
Thx Vik0728. White is a very popular color with i20. Almost every 2nd i20 I see on the roads is white.
Old 28th February 2012, 16:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post

India is also the export hub for i20s. I wonder if the export variants have also faced this steering issue.
They sure do. Click on this link:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html

Just have a look at the "Your City/State" column in the above link

Last edited by skanchan95 : 28th February 2012 at 16:16.
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 08:06   #20
BHPian

Congrats! A very detailed ownership report.

Wishing you the best with your PICASSO
webblescott is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 13:01   #21
BHPian

Congrats on your new buy !!! and offcourse the detailed photos.
Have a safe and happy travels ahead.
classicselva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2012, 22:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Your review is one of the most detailed review on i20 we have on the forum i guess. Congrats on your new car and a wish you many safe miles in it! In the absence of an official review by mods, your review comes to the rescue as it highlights the good/bad about the car in an unbiased manner.

Do keep the thread updated with how your car behaves in the long run.

Cheers

Last edited by shashank.nk : 1st March 2012 at 22:23. Reason: edited sentence
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:05   #23
BHPian

Congrats p'arth on your buy !! Have a happy and safe driving..

By the way one question, Since when did Hyundai replaced a spare Alloy wheel with Steel wheel on an ASTA!! I own an ASTA July 2010 model but I have a spare wheel which is an alloy !! Are you taken for a ride here ?? I am curious...
Kiyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:12   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiyon
Congrats p'arth on your buy !! Have a happy and safe driving..

By the way one question, Since when did Hyundai replaced a spare Alloy wheel with Steel wheel on an ASTA!! I own an ASTA July 2010 model but I have a spare wheel which is an alloy !! Are you taken for a ride here ?? I am curious...
They are providing spare steel wheel since BS 4 versions.
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:20   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
They are providing spare steel wheel since BS 4 versions.
Mine is a BS4 too.. BS4 started back in 2010 Jan-Mar some time..
Anyways, so then i think they eventually stopped giving alloy spare some time later ...
Just wanted to be sure its Hyundai who has stopped giving it and not the dealer manipulation, thanks......
Kiyon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 08:21   #26
BHPian

First of all, congrats on your purchase of the i20 - it is really one of the best looking cars on the road. Before I bought my i10, I considered the i20 but had to forego it because it was little above my budget.

Now - regarding the steering rattle, I really have never heard of such a funny excuse by a sales person. How can you adjust a steering while the car is in motion. Either he must be clueless about cars or has been asked to give this excuse by his higher ups. When I bought my i10 and considered the i20, I did ask the sales person about this. He said it was fixed. Then, I referred to Team-BHP and asked him, if so how come there are so many complaints about the problem and of course he was clueless and did not have an answer.
motorguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Your review is one of the most detailed review on i20 we have on the forum i guess. Congrats on your new car and a wish you many safe miles in it! In the absence of an official review by mods, your review comes to the rescue as it highlights the good/bad about the car in an unbiased manner.

Do keep the thread updated with how your car behaves in the long run.

Cheers
The official review of the current i20 is probably one of the jewels missing from the crown of Official Test Drives Sub-Forum. While making the buying decision I really missed this official review of this car from the mods; the void was definitely filled up by so many existing owners reviews - and this gap was also a reason for me to come up with a detailed version of my experience.
Old 6th March 2012, 13:31   #28
BHPian

Update: Permanent Registration

After 8 days of taking delivery I applied for PR. I collected required documents from the dealer, who had provided all documents properly arranged as per the requirements of the RTA. Only missing document was a address proof which I added from my side - aadhar card copy. If all documents are available, the PR process is quite straightforward. Hyundai Dealership mentioned that they have stopped doing PRs as there was a legal action in the past where dealerships were blamed to be earning money by pushing PR costs into the OTR price.

Next day morning went to the RTA. I evaluated all the steps before starting the process.

Step 1: With all the documents, queue up to make the registration payment. For cars it was INR 625. Before accepting the payment the clerk at the window will also verify all the documents and if there is any issue he will ask you to leave without properly justifying the gaps. If all docs are correct he ll generate a 2-copy receipt for the payment - one for you and one for the Inspector.

Step 2: Go to the next queue to perform digital signature - well that means signing on an e-pad with an optical pen. I really appreciated the robustness of this piece of IT hardware - mishandled to the highest level, openly kept in extreme dusty condition - still worked well.

Step 3: Take the pencil imprint of the VIN no. The VIN in i20 is below the driver seat - have to push the seat completely back to be able to do this on the paper form.

Step 4: Drive your vehicle into the queue where the the Motor Vehicle Inspector inspects the vehicle (inspection is limited to seeing the vehicle in person and approving that the VIN no. on the form belongs the correct vehicle) and signs the registration forms and keeps with him.

Thats it and you can drive away deep in the horizon and wait for the RC to come by speed post.

Note:

1. Agents bypassed all possible queues and went directly into the clerks room. Each agent on an average carried 10 forms. However Agents usually come to RTA by 11 AM. So better to go before as the office opens at 10.

2. Registration No. was available on the RTA website same day evening and I ordered the number plates. Query by TR no. to get PR no.

3. The RC Smart Card was delivered in flat 7 days time. I would say that was fast by any govt. standards. My aadhar card took 7 months.

4. Know where your VIN is located before-hand and carry a pen and pencil, and cash in exact denominations. Try the imprint exercise at home on a plain paper.
p'arth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 13:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for explaining the PR procedure in great details. However is this specific to Hyderabad or all major cities? What were the total registration charges, also please share the break-up of the total cost.
Old 14th March 2012, 11:24   #30
BHPian

I think Steps 1,3 and 4 are usually common across states/cities, though I dont have a first hand expereince in other state/city RTA's.

The total registration charges as I mentioned were Rs. 625, the breakup of which is:

1. Application Fee - 200
2. Service Charge - 200
3. Smart Card Fee - 200
4. Postage - 25

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks