Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 10:44   #1
BHPian

[BMW 320d Dynamic] Buying and initial ownership experience

I've finally decided and bought a BMW 320d dynamic edition and would love to share my decision making process, buying experience and my initial first few days of driving experience of the car!

The Decision making process
After a lot of contemplation between Skoda Superb, Volvo S60, VW Passat, BMW 320d & the Merc C200 Avantgarde - I finally ended up buying a BMW 3! Let me run you guys through the entire decision making process of ruling out the other cars I initially considered.

Quote:
Skoda Superb
DSG gearbox worries (was clear on wanting an AUTO only), Skoda A.S.S concerns drove me away from buying it

Volvo S60
Lack of brand value & service centers was the losing point

Passat
DSG gearbox worries, features such as auto parking etc. not practical for indian conditions, too expensive bringing it to BMW & Mercedes territory MINUS the brand value in comparison

C200
Interiors were great in quality, but too conventional in design. The iDrive replacement for Merc is really sub standard in comparison - looks like a 1990s user interface. A tad bit costlier - and no substantial additional features. The elegance model looks like it's designed for 40+ aged guys, and the Avantgarde version looks too chic!

The BMW 320d Dynamic Edition!
The drive response, the engine, the ultra smooth & quick gearshifts made me instantly fall in love with the beast! It really feels like a plane taking off on a run way. The ride is extremely firm around turns & bends even at high speeds - gives me a lot of confidence while driving. I think it's also because of the design of the car which feels more spread out, shorter in height and the bulges at the wheel arches.
Dealership experience
I bought my 3 from KUN Exclusive in hyderabad. The sales person who interacted was well informed about the car and did a good job selling me into loving it! However, I was definitely disappointed with the fact that I got absolutely no discounts! I was hoping there would be some discounts considering that a new 2012 3 would be replacing the current model. I also hoped for the dealer to throw in something from their end, but I was shockingly surprised that I had no such luck. I also hoped that I would get a few accessories or upgrades as a token - but all I got was a car cover and floor mats!

Equipment & features
The car comes loaded with all the gizmos you could imagine -
- Condition based service (CBS) concept - the car tells you which individual component needs to be serviced - you could check status of each of these on your iDrive. This is completely the opposite of the conventional - leave it for service after 10,000kms etc.
- Dual zone climate control
- Rain sensors, light sensors (these are small but incredibly cool features trust me!). The viper goes faster if you suddenly try to throttle harder while overtaking etc. - all amazing small features added for higher safety!
- Auto up/down for all windows everywhere
- Incredibly cool traction control and stability assist! Check this video out -
- iDrive - this is a topic by itself. Built in phone through bluetooth (supports all features - lists my contacts, call history, conference calling, hold/unhold etc.), Vehicle statistics (avg fuel consumption, distance, distance to empty etc.), Journey Computer (reset and start logging your current journey - avg speed, fuel consumption, time driven, distance driven etc.), 12GB built in Harddisk for your music, Television (doordarshan only!), Loads of car settings - time/date, how doors lock/unlock, lighting options - day time lights, triple turn indicators etc., and plenty more!
- Sound system by Harman Kardon! Honestly, this is easily the best music I have EVER listened to in my "life"! No exaggeration - insanely high quality music system - and comes stock!
- Driver & passenger electric seats (driver's seats comes with 2 memory options - and the cool part is, each memory option also memorizes the side rear-view mirror positions)
- Auto mirror adjustment while reversing (mirror bends downwards while reversing, and comes back up automatically)
- Park assist sensors - shows a graphical view of the rear of your car while backing up
- Rear windows come with manual sun blinds to pull up - has a very very premium look and feel to it
- Electrically operated rear windshield sun blinds! Push a button, and the blinds roll up - looks super cool
- The keyfob maintains your vehicle's last known status - service information, distance driven etc. etc. and any service center would know your car with just the key. You can manually roll up/down your windows with the keyfob. Press and hold the unlock it continues to roll down all windows...you stop pressing it, it stops rolling down. Same with hold the lock button down to keep rolling up.

Engine & Performance
The 2.0l diesel engine is one extremely powerful engine. Every time I step on the the gas pedal, the insane surge of power makes you feel like you're about to take off the ground! The turbo kicks in just about half a second after flooring the pedal, but once it opens up...the car literally flies away. I can't tell you how much fun it is to throttle away leaving the rest of the vehicles far far away within seconds.

Mileage & Efficiency
So far I've done 1700kms. When I drive on highways (did a trip from Hyd to Blr & back), I consistently get 16kmpl. Within city, its always 13-14 which is amazing. I stay around Hitech city and here most of the roads are nice and open which contributes to better fuel efficiency. The worst I got was when I was in bangalore city traffic, which was still over 12 - and this being a diesel plant, its more than what I would expect.

Interiors & comfort
The driver and co passenger seats are very well crafted. I personally love the driving position, the flight cockpit like feel the car has. The iDrive controller is at the right location and the center armrest really makes it very comfortable. But there is one thing - the seats are very low in height and you would need to stretch your legs straight (there's lotsss of leg room) which is quite different if you come from an SUV style seating position. The rear seats also have a lot of leg room, even with the front seats extended all the way to the rear. The rear seat headroom might be questionable for someone taller than 6ft probably. A lot of attention to detail can be seen all around the cabin interiors which gives it a very premium feel.

My wishlist of additional features
- I really wish there was a way to automatically fold my outside rearview mirrors when I lock the car. The mirrors automatically open up if you go faster than 20kmph, but there is no way to auto fold the mirrors when you lock your car.
- Cruise control - whether I use it or not, it would have been good to have as a feature
- Navigation has been stripped off. The dealer told me its an additional 1.5L which is crazy! All they need to add is a GPS receiver and a software update! But that's BMW pricing for you!
- Bottle holders - the 1l bottles dont fit into the doors or anywhere for that matter. Small aspect, but gets annoying when you travel long distance.
- Spare tire - I know runflat tires are amazing, but still having a spare tire is definitely a good to have especially if you do longer trips
- Cooled glove box/storage area

So far, this is my first post...will keep posting more on this thread! You guys can ask any questions you have - and I could try and help! I had a lot of confusing questions while buying mine, and I can understand if you have the silliest of questions

Let me know if any of you guys want me to post pictures

cheers!

Last edited by Vid6639 : 27th March 2012 at 12:49. Reason: As requested
dreamtheater39 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 13:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: [BMW 320d Dynamic] Buying and initial ownership experience

Congrats for you 3 series, seems like you are really enjoying the car and I am pretty sure you must be feeling that these are most well spend bucks of your life though a non-petrolhead will always counter that, but we are petrol(diesel)head.

Please also give us an option of enjoying you beloved BMW by posting few pics of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamtheater39 View Post
- I really wish there was a way to automatically fold my outside rearview mirrors when I lock the car.
Fellow bhpian taran has done something to add this functionality, please check his thread for more information.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-000-km-9.html
Old 20th March 2012, 13:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on this purchase, seems like you are enjoying flooring the accelerator on the 2L mill. The fuel efficiency figures would put some of the smaller cars to shame.

Quote:
Let me know if any of you guys want me to post pictures
Offcourse we want to see the pictures, why this question. Please upload the pictures asap. We all would love to see pics of you ride
Old 20th March 2012, 14:00   #4
BHPian

Congrats for the bimmer. It must indeed be a proud moment for you. Wish you have many years of hassle free owners. A photo shoot is called for to make your thread look complete.

Noob question - By offering 0% interest option how exactly is the financing arm making money?
Old 20th March 2012, 15:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

^^You might have noticed that he is not being offered any cash discount and not being given any complementary accessories, this too despite being the fact that it's and out going model. Usually companies adjust the discount available on the model against the loan interest to turn it into 0% scheme.

I am not sure of exact working to prove my point but I remember doing this when I was working with one of the Toyota dealership.
Old 20th March 2012, 15:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:

Key decision making reasons for me
2. Post March 2012, cars would cost a lot more - higher taxes. Now it would almost cost 1.2L more!

Dealership experience
1. Absolutely no discounts! I was hoping there would be some discounts considering that a new 2012 3 would be replacing the current model. I also hoped for the dealer to throw in something from their end, but I was shockingly surprised that I had no such luck. I also hoped that I would get a few accessories or upgrades as a token - but all I got was a car cover and floor mats!
Congrats on the 320D... Its a mile muncher you've got..

Looks like alot of them went in for a car expecting a price rise and dealers seemed to have made the most of it by not offering any discounts.
Old 20th March 2012, 15:48   #7
Team-BHP Support

I do agree, this is one of the best bang for the bucks car one can get. I was using one when i visited my native last time around and boy oh boy the grin that it brings to your face when you press that right foot is beyond words. Slightly firm ride, but i loved it that way.

WRT cruise control, very honestly i feel its pointless device in India. Even on the GQ i was not able to use the function comfortably for more than couple of minutes. And the spare tyre, well this car had done 34k kms in under 6 months which means it does lot of long trips and the owner was quite comfortable with the run flats though he was completely paranoid about them when he bought the car.

Hope you have got the maintenance package also done for the car?

A very big congratulations to you!
Old 20th March 2012, 18:02   #8
BHPian

Congrats Bro ! The B is an amazing machine for sure , with that power , the mileage you posted here would put many a cars to shame !

By the way , a close friend of mine used to own a 320D ,which he sold last year, he was not very happy with the firm ride of the car, do you feel anything like that yet ?
Old 20th March 2012, 22:46   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations mate, 320d is the ultimate driving machine, loads of power and superb handling. I guess going by your post you didn't opted for BSI, did you ?

If not then IMO you should surely buy one for your beemer.

And ya, no ownership thread is completed without pictures, we need lot of them.

Wish you wonderful miles ahead. Drive safe.

Cheers
Sameer
Old 20th March 2012, 23:40   #10
BHPian

Congratulations Mate,

I bought a dynamic and the phone feature of the idrive is not activated, Dealership told me the phone feature is activated on highline models only. Please confirm

Quote:
Built in phone through bluetooth (supports all features - lists my contacts, call history, conference calling, hold/unhold etc.),
Old 21st March 2012, 02:16   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Another 320! Congrats! Am sure you are enjoying the car; the bonus is the FE! Now, please share some pics - exteriors as well as interiors.

I was thinking why did you go for this model when the new one is around the corner; but you have done your home work well!

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
Old 21st March 2012, 06:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
- Dual zone climate control
- Rain sensors, light sensors (these are small but incredibly cool features trust me!). The viper goes faster if you suddenly try to throttle harder while overtaking etc. - all amazing small features added for higher safety!
- Auto up/down for all windows everywhere
- Incredibly cool traction control and stability assist!
- iDrive - this is a topic by itself. Built in phone through bluetooth (supports all features - lists my contacts, call history, conference calling, hold/unhold etc.), Vehicle statistics (avg fuel consumption, distance, distance to empty etc.), Journey Computer (reset and start logging your current journey - avg speed, fuel consumption, time driven, distance driven etc.), 12GB built in Harddisk for your music, Television (doordarshan only!), Loads of car settings - time/date, how doors lock/unlock, lighting options - day time lights, triple turn indicators etc., and plenty more!
- Sound system by Harman Kardon! Honestly, this is easily the best music I have EVER listened to in my "life"! No exaggeration - insanely high quality music system - and comes stock!
- Driver & passenger electric seats (driver's seats comes with 2 memory options - and the cool part is, each memory option also memorizes the side rear-view mirror positions)
- Auto mirror adjustment while reversing (mirror bends downwards while reversing, and comes back up automatically)
- Park assist sensors - shows a graphical view of the rear of your car while backing up
- Rear windows come with manual sun blinds to pull up - has a very very premium look and feel to it
- Electrically operated rear windshield sun blinds! Push a button, and the blinds roll up - looks super cool
- The keyfob maintains your vehicle's last known status - service information, distance driven etc. etc. and any service center would know your car with just the key. You can manually roll up/down your windows with the keyfob. Press and hold the unlock it continues to roll down all windows...you stop pressing it, it stops rolling down. Same with hold the lock button down to keep rolling up.
You find all of the above features including the Vehicle statistics (avg fuel consumption, distance, distance to empty etc.), Journey Computer (reset and start logging your current journey - avg speed, fuel consumption, time driven, distance driven etc.) on a corporate edition but via a single line graphical user display.Whats missing would be the I Drive, Doordarshan ,Graphical view of park assist.
Electrically operated rear windshield sun blinds and the the rain sensors.

Quote:
Engine & Performance
The car literally flies away. I can't tell you how much fun it is to throttle away leaving the rest of the vehicles far far away within seconds.
I consistently get 16kmpl.
Your loving it, i wonder how you manage to get 16 still doing that i hardly ever get past 10 kmpl with the same engine.

Quote:
My wishlist of additional features
- I really wish there was a way to automatically fold my outside rearview mirrors when I lock the car. The mirrors automatically open up if you go faster than 20kmph, but there is no way to auto fold the mirrors when you lock your car.
If you want to close your mirrors when you lock the car, its possible via Coding that is a long topic by itself. via coding you have a host of other options including changing the speedo display to digital one on the dashboard display. it requires a cable and the software for it. Check taranonline thread for his 320D.Kun service at madras can do it. but Navnit at Bangalore doesn't try to get them on the phone and see if they can do it for you if you can take the car to madras.

You could take a look at Brodit Proclip Vehicle Mount to fix an aftermarket GPS

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2688309

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2418285

Congrats on the 320D!

Last edited by abishek2222 : 21st March 2012 at 06:44.
abishek2222 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 09:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your 3 dreamtheater39. I always thought the rear legroom is an issue with the current 3, but your post has corrected me.

Please do post pictures of your ride.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
Congratulations Mate,

I bought a dynamic and the phone feature of the idrive is not activated, Dealership told me the phone feature is activated on highline models only. Please confirm
Yes, I can confirm this. Here is what the dealer told me regarding this. It's only for vehicles that are "manufactured" in 2012 have the communications package built in as default into iDrive. The earlier 3 series did not come with the communications package on the Dynamic edition. That was something that needed to be retro-fitted otherwise is what the dealer here told me. I also checked an older (2011 manufactured) 320D dynamic, and I didn't find the communications options - so I guess it checks out. You need to check with your dealer to get your's upgraded - if the dealer doesn't oblige, i feel you should try and reach out to BMW direct India service/sales and try your luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Your loving it, i wonder how you manage to get 16 still doing that i hardly ever get past 10 kmpl with the same engine.

If you want to close your mirrors when you lock the car, its possible via Coding that is a long topic by itself. via coding you have a host of other options including changing the speedo display to digital one on the dashboard display. it requires a cable and the software for it. Check taranonline thread for his 320D.Kun service at madras can do it.
I have an average full-time statistics of 13.5kmpl on my iDrive. On my drive to blr & back, I wasn't abusing my 3 and was driving in a rather constant and civil manner. I was doing an average of 140 with the engine revs between 1.5-2k for majority of time. Of course, there were these occasional outbursts and i did floor the pedal! I did a top speed of 210kmph and the car felt extremely stable and grounded even at that speed - which was simply amazing!

And yeah, thanks a lot for pointing me on possible mods - this is something I would definitely experiment on, me being a gadget junkie

cheers all!
Old 21st March 2012, 15:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
if the dealer doesn't oblige, i feel you should try and reach out to BMW direct India service/sales and try your luck.

I was doing an average of 140 with the engine revs between 1.5-2k for majority of time.
BMW direct India service/sales: Most likely that would be a waste of time since every time i have tried it , what happens is they forward the email to the dealer and he calls you again regarding the same problem.

When i travel its usually between 3k- Red line in Sports mode almost most of the time.

Let me know if you happen to be close to whitefield in bangalore. in case you plan to buy the D can cable to code the car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks