Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 18:38   #1
BHPian

The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS

The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1652t.jpg
Statutory Warning : This is a long post.

Prologue

Since I can remember, I loved cars and always wanted my own. As I started ageing wanted to own one even more always dreaming about buying one the day I turn 18. I was never promised one but always led to believe the parents will buy one for me. I wanted the NHC, loved the looks(at that time). Then the taste changed to Accent Viva, loved the notchback design(didnt care it was a Korean at that time). Then I use to just dream of moddifing it. Crazy things like AWD and power in the range of 500 whp(kids dreams I tell you )

Then I grew up more and then I stumbled upon t-bhp. Read threads for a few hours and decided to join, in a few days got my acceptance. During this period I was thinking of buying a vtec for its sheer potential. Created a thread on its moddifications. Thinking about Swaps, mods on that. Which engine, B16, H24, which. Then someone mentioned vRS. At that time I didnt know that skodas came in petrol too(What a noob I was). Researched on that and instantly fell in love with the car. 1800cc TURBO charged PETROL engine on an EUROPEAN car. Thats it, it was decided that my first car will be the vRS. Started to search for ownership reviews(All thanx to T-BHP) and got to know the car is more detail. Strong points and its flaws. Was fine with them. Talked to dad about the vRS and he straight refused to get me a high maintainance car. Suggested the Swift Deisel VERY STRONGLY. We disaggreed, didnt want anything else than a vRS.

I still needed a transportation so WE got me a bike, which is now a 250cc 30bhp naked monster (Stock being 220cc 21 bhp Half Faired). The bike had more than enough power BUT it wasnt a car and it definately wasnt a vRS. Its ok, I started collecting, working a little and collecting more. Got major mods on my bike(Right now, my 250cc 30bhp mod hasnt been tested as before I could finish the run in, the car has come).

Current Day
About 2 weeks ago my father decided to buy the Fortuner. We suddenly had a nice inflow of cash so a 25L car wasnt a big deal(earlier thinking of buying a Cruze/Laura/Yeti). I wanted him to get a sedan(love them more than SUVs). Went and checked out the Volvo S60. Loved it but it was a FWD so was very much turned off by it. I didnt want to pay 30L for a FWD. So didnt convince my dad much. After the booking of the Fortuner, I talked to him about upgrading Mom's car too(The Wagon R). He said right now we dont have more than 5-5.5L for another car, so we'll buy the Ritz.

I told him that it wouldnt be a 'upgrade' from the Wagon R. So suggested used i20s, Polos, Figos, etc. He reluctantly agreed that if I found a good car he would check it out and then decide. I checked online listing and didnt find any good cars. So just for name sake searched for vRSs and found a few. One for as low as 2.9L. Talked to all under 4L and the 2.9L guy directly came to 2.3L without any bargain. None of the cars were 1st owner, and the ones that were, were over 6-7L(yes that high). Then I just clicked on an ad for a Stage II vRS, had ignored it earlier as it was moddified and I didnt want it that way. Just messaged and got the details. Found it interesting. 1st Owner(Parsi Owned), 48k genuine kms done, excelent condition. Decided to check this one out too.

I reached the location before the Owner and started to check the car from outside. No major dents, just minor scratches. The front headlamp washers were missing and the skoda logos on the right side Alloys were missing. No signs of accidents. No paintjob. Car looked like it was kept in good hand. The owner arrived. He was a decent and careful fellow. He didnt let me take the car out of the building(I was capable of) and not in his small roads(Parsi Colonoy). After we reached big roads near 5 Gardens, he let me drive it. I first pulled a little to check the power. Wheel Spin!!! Then I shifted to 2nd and pulled properly, there was a good and hard G-Force attack on my body. LOVED IT!!! Within no time i was from 40-100. Drove the car in 4th at 30 kmph and then tried to pull, no knocking, lag was there, but then it was a turbo engine. Brought it back to the Building just after testing the brakes at 60-20 kmph. He again asked to park it. Then I talked shop and asked for a day to give a yes or a no. He said take your time, but he didnt know how much I wanted the car. My Mom and Dad were waiting in our NHC.
Sat inside and told about the details. Dad trusted me with the car so said, lets see if we can get the finances sorted.

In the night Dad called and said, finances can be arranged so its a green signal for the vRS. I was over then moon by then. Gave the owner a call and told him the same and asked for a few days to arrange the money. It was tuesday night and the next day morning we started calling finance companies for Loans. Got through to Kotak Mahindra. Since Wednesday to Thursday we just finalized all Loan documents and on Gudi Padwa we got the vRS and the Fortuner(As Planned). It is 23th of March 2012 and my Girlfriends birthday is on 24th of March. So I had decided not to tell her about the vRS. Just took her for delivery and she was pleasantly surprised as she knew how much I wanted this car since 2 years. The owner asked if I wanted him to back the car out of his building and I was more than happy to say no. I did it. Mom and GF sat and I left from there. Went onto the main road and called dad to congratulate him for both our cars. Clicked and sent him a pic through Whatsapp and he did the same. I then explained the cars luxuries to Mom and GF. Both were extremely impressed.

Then went to Kings Cirle to top up fuel and then headed to Siddhivinayak Temple(Not a complete believer of GOD, but now I might just be). Then came home and did a small Pooja. Had already posted pics of FB of both the cars and there were a few comments. Then just ate food(at around 5 pm). Then at around 18-1830 decided to go down and click a few pics. Called a friend who knew his Skodas and met him. He drove it and LOVED IT. He has driven Skoda 1.9 for over 50k kms, Laura TSI for around 40k and Yeti TDI for 60k kms. So for him to say its a good car was a relief. There are a few niggles but the car over powers those. Then headed to our resort to show my dad the vRS and hand it over to him as he was driving my brother's i20(Brother had taked the Fortuner to Pune). Wanted him to have a 'new' car. Went there and after I reached there he said lets go for a Test Drive. We headed to the car and the only thing I told him. Please be a little careful of the power(he doesnt have experience of high powered cars, use to drive a Qualis for 8 years). He said that hes been driving for 45 years and he can handle it. In 1st he wanted to test the power so he floored it. The wheels just spun, I told to take it slowly and then go to 2nd and floor it. He did but shifted at barely 5k rpm. Was happy with the car. He also passed the car. Dad decided that I only take the vRS home and he will keep the i20. I was happy.

Returned home and then met a few friends and took them for a drive. Showed the power, everone was superbly impressed. It was then 00:00 of 24th March, called my gf and wished her, my friends did too. She could not meet so most went home. Just me and a friend stayed back talking about stuff. After a little time another girl arrived. GF called and asked to pick her up. Then we four went to Bandra. Everyone was enjoying the Moon Roof and the gadgetries. Then we returned. While returning I set the car on cruise at 60 kmph in 5th gear and cruised in full relaxation and then came back home and wrote this Review.

I clocked around 150 kms today. Fairly good amount to judge a car.
The car is old but still damn good looking. Strong and Muscular. The Build quality is something noone ever complains and neither do I. But everyone needs to get adjusted to the doors as they are closing it with too much force. The interiors are immaculate and are really spacious. I personally found the front space immense and rear leg room fairly good. The car has alot of features for a 7 year old car, something like my brother's i20.

Now from what I am made to Understand, this is a Complete Stage II Pete's vRS. So it should have :-
240 Bhp
Bilstien Shocks
Tarrox Brake Pads
Bigger Intercooler
Struts. And alot more.
Cant comment on the Power yet, will dyno as soon as Karan's is working again.

Milage is too soon to say and have just one picture but will upload more in this weekend itself.

EDIT : -
Day 4

500 kms clocked and did a nice top speed run on the Sea Link. The car was extremely stable, even at those speeds. First milage was 9 kmpl with most of city running and ripping. It did have around 50 kms of highway driving.

Day 5

Installed Garware 20% on the windows and 50% in the front. The car looks damn nice now. Will click a pic soon. Need to Service ASAP!!!!! Car really needs it.
Attached Thumbnails
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-414526_412110735471876_100000188581660_1795550_1035577060_o.jpg  

The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-imag0154x.jpg  

The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-imag0155x.jpg  

The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-458418_415601668456116_100000188581660_1807783_1214637227_o.jpg  

Last edited by abhayshanu : 2nd April 2012 at 19:40.
abhayshanu is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:19   #2
BHPian

Re: Juggernaut (Skoda Octavia vRS)

Detailed Review

I will start from the front and make my way to the rear. It also carries comparison of my other vehicles, namely - 7 Year old Qualis, 5 Year old Wagon R, 4 Year old NHC Vtec, 1 Year old i20 and New Fortuner.

Exteriors
The exteriors are virtually scratch and dent free. Thought of polishing the exterior but after washing found no need to. The color hasnt faded. The car has a few scratches and dents here and there but from afar it looks completely new.
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1636t.jpg

Front Bumper
The car isnt as low as it looks, so the rest of the car doesnt touch and neither am I scared that it will, BUT the front bumper touches quite a few times and THAT, I am scared for.

Headlights
The car has HIDs in ALL the bulb location, i.e. Fog Lamps(8000k), Low Beam(4300k) and High beam(8000k). Just the Fog Lamps looks nice. But when I am driving, I use both Fog and Low and it makes perfect White and the road is illuminated so clearly that you would purposefully go to dark places to see how good the lights are. Only the Fortuner has better headlights than this car, but then thats a 25L car, it SHOULD atleast have some edge over this. Headlamp washers are missing and I am searching for a set. Anyone know where I can get them?
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1637t.jpg

Rims and Tyres
The rims are stock and almost new looking. The tyres are barely 5k kms used, size - 205/55/R16, S-Drives.
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1641t.jpg

Bonet
Is long and straight. The end is pretty easily seen and bumper to bumper traffic isnt a problem if the seat height is set perfectly.

Windscreen and Wipers
It is quite big and the wipers clean is extremely well. I never feel that I cant see anything. I just need to replace both blades before monsoon. The passenger's side is a little worn out.

Doors
All open and close without any fuss. BUT because of its 'NEW' 2 step mechanism, most people sitting in my car close the door too hard. Have to warn everyone everytime. A little tiring but then I dont want them to close the door hard. If they do, the sound stays in my head for minutes and my heart aches, literally not figuratively.

Windows
All open and close easily. The front windows have autodown and autoup from the Driver side. The passenger window isnt working and problem is that the Actuator is busted, need a new one, can anyone help in that?

RVM
They are small but still provide me enough of rear view and they have heaters on them so they never fog up.

Moon Roof
Works like a charm and EVERYONE loves it. Each and everytime we go for a drive in it, it HAS to be opened and air felt.
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1657t.jpg

Boot
Again opens and closes without a hitch but I would have liked a auto-hydrolic opening and closing boot. Much easier to operate.

Tail Lights
They are clear and can be seen from a far. No body can claim that my tail lights werent working/seen clearly and thats why they didnt see me.

Interiors
They are white and black, my favorite combination and after getting them cleaned, look just like new.

A/C
Cools everyone. Most of the times I have it set on 20 Degrees and Fan speed to minimum even on the hotest of days. Quite a few times I have set it on 22 because it was too cold. With 2-3 passengers I set the temp at 20 but set the fan speed to 2 or 3 IF its a hot day. Never need to set at 18 or Low because the car never gets that hot. But then I have 20% tints on the sides and rear and 50% at the front.

ICE
Its got a Touch Screen Pioneer HU, Infinity Reference Components in the front, JBL Components in the rear, Soundstream Sub with its box and a JBL 4 Channel Amp.
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1651t.jpg

Steering Wheel and Stalks
The Wheel is bulky enough for big hands yet thin enough for small ones. Its got a very good quality leather so it feels great for the hands. I have yet to have my hand slip on this steering, which happens quite a lot on my Fotuner. The stalks have almost everything you need, Cruise control, increasing speed, Info System Control. But I would have loved a button to change tracks which any new car gets, but then this is a 6 year old car.

Dash Board
Its big and dark so I rarely get a reflection on the windscreen which is extremely important to me, the NHC always irritates me with this aspect.
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1649t.jpg

GearNob
Its Skoda. The reverse is Push Down and front left not the usual back right. Its shortish but not short. Might just get a short shifter mod done soon.
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1648t.jpg

Seats
Are really comfy and supportive. Both passenger and driver get Height and Lumar Support adjusting seats. They really hug you and dont want to let you go.
Rear seats are good enough for 3 people with everyone siting comfortably unlike the fortuner in which the middle passenger is sitting higher and further head because that place is designed as a arm rest for the window passengers.

Head Rests
They have soft locks, i.e It stays in the place you put it but if you press it with your hand or even just keep your hand it comes down. It does not come down with the weight of your head even if you are Fat. They also tilt front and back. I keep them in the front most tilt as that is most comfortable for me. None of my other cars offer this and I while driving never get to use their head rests. Again the leather quality is excelent.

Sun Screen
Both the sun screens are big enough to block the sun for even the shortest drivers and passengers and both have hide-away mirrors. There is another sun block which can be kind of pulled down. This one is just behind the rear view mirrors.
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1654t.jpg

Space
It has immense front space and manageable rear space. I mean space not only leg room.

Changes
1 - Installed Garware 20% visibility Black Colored tints on the windows and rear. 50% visibility Black Colored tints on the front Wind Screen
2 - Installed LED stripes on the front Interior Light. Stuck it on the roof at the rear. Gives alot of light, easy to find any small item fallen in the car. I stuck the same strip in the engine bay with a small button, so when need to check that out, just press the button and you get light. The same system has been adapted to for the boot.

This here is the review for THIS car only. Will post my driving experience soon and a complete comparison with my other cars. I will be painting the alloys and calipers soon. Any more ideas please do tell me.
Attached Thumbnails
The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-dsc_1646t.jpg  

Last edited by abhayshanu : 2nd April 2012 at 19:38.
abhayshanu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2012, 09:14   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you.
It is a refreshing review for such an old car. Did I miss the price somewhere?
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, 240 horses on tap is wonderful, are those HIDs that the car has? Also, dont you feel its difficult to drive with 50% visibility up front?
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!! You got a killer deal on this one! Though it needs a lot of courage to go for a Used CBU Skoda keeping in mind the maintenance costs etc. But once you drive the VR, you just forget about those things right?
Also, what's with that windhsield decal? Is it there or not there? Cuz it seems to be in some pics. I don't think it looks good at all to be honest (no offence to the website)
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you.
It is a refreshing review for such an old car. Did I miss the price somewhere?
Well it is a new car for me and it has been maintained like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Congrats on the car, 240 horses on tap is wonderful, are those HIDs that the car has? Also, dont you feel its difficult to drive with 50% visibility up front?
Yes it does have HIDs in all locations, i.e. Fog Lamp, Low Beam and High Beam. I can see everything clearly through the front and the HIDs help alot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Congrats!! You got a killer deal on this one! Though it needs a lot of courage to go for a Used CBU Skoda keeping in mind the maintenance costs etc. But once you drive the VR, you just forget about those things right?
Also, what's with that windhsield decal? Is it there or not there? Cuz it seems to be in some pics. I don't think it looks good at all to be honest (no offence to the website)
There were MANY stickers but I didnt like any. Removed all except Pete's.in.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. So is this your mom's car or is it for you ?
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:00   #9
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Abhay. VRs in stock condition itself is fast, Peted will be a beast.

Do get it serviced and check the timing belt health too. Also the TB also might need cleaning.
Was your VRS serviced at A.S.S or FNG. Did you get the complete service history ?

Drive safe.

Last edited by v&v : 3rd April 2012 at 15:02.
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Congrats. So is this your mom's car or is it for you ?
Its for me. But she will use when she needs it and I'm not around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Congrats Abhay. VRs in stock condition itself is fast, Peted will be a beast.

Do get it serviced and check the timing belt health too. Also the TB also might need cleaning.
Was your VRS serviced at A.S.S or FNG. Did you get the complete service history ?

Drive safe.
Got it serviced and checked everything. It was serviced at AutoBahn till 2010, then taken to Nevil Poonawala's Garage at Almont Road.
Old 3rd April 2012, 22:42   #11
BHPian

You really got a sweet deal at 2.8lacs. The exteriors appear to be in pristine condition. Wishing you many happy miles with the beast.
Snaps of the engine bay would be most welcome.
Old 4th April 2012, 00:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
You really got a sweet deal at 2.8lacs. The exteriors appear to be in pristine condition. Wishing you many happy miles with the beast.
Snaps of the engine bay would be most welcome.
No no no no no. That was another car. It was 2nd owner, exteriors perfect, too perfect. Extra searching revealed major accident with chassis in the front a little twisted. This costed almost double.

Did a acceleration test.

0-60 mph = 5.776 secs
1/4 mile = 15.805 @ 94.52 mph

This was recorded using an GPS app named Car Performance for Androids.

Last edited by abhayshanu : 4th April 2012 at 00:40.
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 04:49   #13
BHPian

Detailed Driving Report.

I have completed 1000 kms on this car in 2 weeks. I think its time for a Detailed Driving Report, so here it goes.
Classifying it in 3 types, City, Highway and Ripping.

City
I know the fact that the car is 240 bhp and its got stiff Bilstien B6 suspensions and that the clutch is stage 2, so its harder. But even in stop and go traffic, the car doesnt feel difficult. Its as easy to drive as another stock car or underpowered car. When you are inside the car, you dont hear any honking or exhaust sounds(mine and others). I can keep the music at a very low volume and still be able to hear the song clearly. The bumps on the road arent that pronounced, yes the ride isnt as comfortable as my Fortuner, but then I found the Fortuner too soft. This is perfect for my tastes. When I do have to go ahead in a jiffy, I usually get enough time to depress the clutch and rev it to 2000-3000, so I dont fall behind, rarely do I need to do this and get to do this. Rest of the times, i fall behind I dont care. Each and everytime i have noticed that people who get ahead of me in these conditions are overtaken by me once the road clears up, so I keep my cool. Yes this car is big and I can feel its bigness. I dont cut in front of people as much as I use to in the Wagon R, BUT if necessary, I can do it.

Highway
This car with its current setup is damn good for highways. Once i reach over 60 kmph, I just switch on the Cruise Control and relax. Listen to music, talk to my passengers. The suspension on highways is perfect, not too soft not too hard. Good enough to handle most potholes and the car doesnt bounce at high speeds, which usually happens on soft suspension rides. For overtaking I dont need to down shift, ever. I know when the power comes, so I accelerate before and I get the power I need by the time the opening is clear. Sometimes I do need to downshift if I havent calculated properly. This is a rare case for me, but still the car has oodles of power to over take, lol, its got enough to overtake a C-Class, 3 Series or a A4. The tyres are quite grippy, but then I never had any complains with S-Drives.

Ripping/Burning the Road
Now you, me or everyone might feel, wow this car is so good in city and great on highways. Its gotta be excellent while ripping. Well you are partially right. Its not just excellent, its Superbly Excellent. Power range is from 2200 rpm upto 6500 rpm. The exhaust is quite til 3400-3500 rpm. At 3500 rpm, the car really shows it real power and thats when the exhaust opens up, its clearly heard. From a silentish vroooooom, it suddenly becomes and Pronounced WROOOOOOOOOOOOMMM with the usual turbo woosh and when I upshift I can hear the BOV releasing pressure. Its not as loud as AfterMarket BOVs but its sufficient. With in no time you can clock 150-160 and till that speed, you actually dont even feel you are going fast. It feels slowish. Once I reach 160, I change to 5th and there is still power left to suddently push it to 200 . After 200, things slow down if you havent shifted at 6500 or above, if you have shifted near the rev limit, at 200, the car has momentum and power to punch in 210-220 fairly easily. The rest(220-250 kmph) is a little hardish. Not tried yet. Never found a good enough road so I stick to 150 kmph.
Cornering ability of the vRS was always great and that was not a secret. With these amazing Bilstien B6s its soooooo good. Yesterday I tried my level best to check the Limits of the car, but I couldnt find it. I tried the best, seriously, the car just keep its grip, didnt loose it for even a second. Not for a milisecond did it think, Chal yaar, lets relax. Nope. It just keep on sticking the road like a leach/kid with his new toy.
Braking is damn amazing. I am told this has Torax Brake pads, I dont know that, but these are damn amazing. I have had a few incidents but never any accidents and I plan to keep it this way.
The seats are really comfy and hug me, not as tight as my GF, but if she knew how tight, she would be extremely jealous. I have yet to slip from the seat. Any side, front, back, side. No slippage yet.

On another note. Changed my Roof Lining, its white now, grey was too dark, white looks better. Have filled fuel 3 times and my mean Milage is 7.8 kmpl. Fairly good amount with 600 kms of City, 200 of Highway and 200 of Ripping.
Bottom Line. I am extremely Content with this Car.
Old 6th April 2012, 05:53   #14
BHPian

Hey Abhay,
Even i just picked up a pre owned** vRS yesterday.
Got it for my OHC 1.3 [Pedders suspension, yoko S Drives, short pipe FFE + air Filter] + 1 Lakh.
But this is a stock car, 1st owner and done 66K Kms.

It has some issues, but as i'm currently unemployed i have financial constraints.
There is some issue with the Turbo, i think it's leaking some air, because there is Black soot coming out of the Exhaust and the CEL light is coming on.
I got the O2 sensor checked but that was fine so we think it's a turbo problem. Anyway that is getting fixed. I'm headed to Delhi for the week [on temporary holiday from a permanent holiday ] so the work should be done when i get back.

I can feel the G forces on my stock [though faulty vRS] i can only imagine how mind-boggling yours will be !!

Can't wait to get my hands on the car once the Turbo issue is solved.

**Pre Owned = Not in the best of shape, but considering the price i got it for & the performance boost over my 1.3 OHC i'm really happy.
Need to get the Suspension serviced [Bushing changed and i think the springs changed too]
Remove the windshield film and get it polished
Get the Headlights Buffed and put in brighter HIDs [i think only my low beams are HIDs]
Get the Moon Roof serviced [it works, but doesn't open all the way.. stops 2 or 3 inches short]

and need to get some speakers. already got a good AMP, just need some damn speakers

EDIT: I was out Driving it as well till 5 AM

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 6th April 2012 at 06:03.
Old 6th April 2012, 07:53   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Get the Moon Roof serviced [it works, but doesn't open all the way.. stops 2 or 3 inches short]
Turn the switch to the last setting, you will feel a spring setting. Hold it beyond the spring setting and it will retract inside
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks