Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 09:22   #16
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Re: Torque Day - Driving the Mahindra XUV 5OO on the Buddh International Circuit

When we spoke just before your flight, I knew you were upto something travelling up north. Wonderful insight indeed and like everyone here, am also presently surprised by the handling of XUV. I guess the monocoque chassis has a role to play here?

Were there any changes done to these track ready XUVs as in suspension, gearbox et al?

@smartcat - Ducati riders in Delhi/Noida also regularly lap the circuits on weekends. The authorities are now welcoming groups which is a great move for this track hungry country.
JVH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 10:09   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Torque Day - Driving the Mahindra XUV 5OO on the Buddh International Circuit

Great report, Aditya! Thanks for sharing it with us (and of course, making us all go green for driving on the Buddh ).

Did you drive the FWD or AWD variant?

Mahindra has outdone themselves with the XUV. When Manson & I took her on the expressway for the review, we couldn't believe it was a Mahindra UV we were driving. Best part is, the behaviour is very neutral and predictable. There is none of that extreme top-heaviness as with the Fortuner, or the bumpiness either.

I guess they wouldn't have upgraded the gearbox on those 180 BHP XUVs you speak of. Does that mean that the stock gearbox can handle the increased torque from a remap or power tuning box?

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2012 at 10:11.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 10:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

I AM ROYALLY JELOUS NOW!

I always wanted to test the XUV like this. Though I have had the oppurtunity to take the XUV to winding roads at fairly high speeds and am aware of it's neutral handling, there are limitations when doing so on public roads. Driving it flat out on the F1 track must have been a surreal experience.

From the video, I noticed you were quite 'gentle' on the XUV, unlike this gentleman who was literally testing the ESP on every corner -

Dont you think if Mahindra had given AWD XUVs to drive, it would have been a better experience?

You have listed all the positives about the drive. Anything you dint like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Though not sure about the purpose of having a SUV driven by enthusiasts on a racing tack except for marketing & advertising purposes.
To showcase the handling prowess of the XUV, of course when compared to competitors and not sedans...

Last edited by raj_5004 : 11th May 2012 at 11:00.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 11:24   #19
BHPian

I posted this in the other thread. This gaadi video is awesome, he is really pushing the XUV all the way and keeps saying something and doing something else, and his co driver is even funnier. He is not supposed to overtake and soon he is gloating about overtaking everyone, and then he has a go at Gaurav Gill who has the number on the XUV and is able to pull away at will.

The biggest revelation is the ESP, it has to keep correcting so pushing without the esp might not be a good idea. Of course not everyone is going to push the XUV in bends but those thinking of the W6 should look at this.

Overall I think Mahindra have done a good job in the handling department , after all this is a SUV and it does feel you can push the car without the usual nervousness, its doesn't appear to be unpredictable.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Aditya, was your XUV500 completely stock? Was there any corner where you felt the XUV might topple over?
Yes, all the XUV's on track were bone stock 2WD variants. I did not push really hard on the corners since there were other XUV's in front of me and i had to restrain myself. Helps to be first off the line in such cases

So to answer your Q, the vehicle felt planted and stable, but of course a hint of understeer since its a front wheel drive when going hot into a corner, but the ESP takes care of those scary moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
I like what the promoters of Buddh Circuit are doing - getting car companies like Mercedes, Mahindra, Maruti etc to use the circuit for advertising, product launches and customer relations. There is still lot more potential though.
Yes, a lot more can be done but its a good start. The track is excellent and when F1 was here last year i was wondering if they will ever open it to public since maintenance and upkeep of such a track is very expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Were you driving the XUV on the limit in the video? Though it looked like you initially were and then caught up to the ones infront and then it was more steady-fast.
I wasn't driving the vehicle to the hilt. Yes, the filmed lap was fairly quick but since there were so many XUV's on track and some were slow i had to restrain myself and maintain a safe distance between ourselves. Overtaking was strictly not allowed, even on straights. On one lap i switched on the hazard lights and coasted just to make some distance with the vehicle in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
What was that beeping sound at that straight stretch? If you're allowed to dis-close the top speed you managed, please let us know and of course 0-100 in?
Thanks Avinash. This was a closed circuit with safety measures in place, so there is no problem in disclosing speeds we did. See post # 3 above, the beeping sound as mentioned comes automatically once you cross 150 kmph. I touched 170 kmph on the back straight. Did not measure the 0-100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Whats the top speed you achieved? And the lap timings?
Thanks Ravan. Lap times were not measured since the laps were controlled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I purposely pushed hard on a couple of corners and to my surprise, there was very negligible roll.
You were there at the event?

Quote:
I bet you were missing your 250R
Talk about it man. During the slow lap i was visualizing the 250R on those smooth curves.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:33   #21
BHPian

Wow.. How I wished it was me with my XUV on the track. The track is a beauty and the report was very comprehensive. The video is a bonus. I had taken part in the contest for Purple club members but did not get selected. Maybe I have to suck up to Mahindra folks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
I guess the monocoque chassis has a role to play here? Were there any changes done to these track ready XUVs as in suspension, gearbox et al?
Thanks for your appreciation Jay. The monocoque chassis plays a huge part in ensuring sedan like handling on a vehicle this tall and heavy.

The vehicles that were provided for track use on that day were bone stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
@smartcat - Ducati riders in Delhi/Noida also regularly lap the circuits on weekends. The authorities are now welcoming groups which is a great move for this track hungry country.
I heard some R15 and CBR 250R owners made it to the BIC last month or so. It cost them 8k which is not cheap by any standards although i don't know for how many hours they had the track at their disposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great report, Aditya! Thanks for sharing it with us (and of course, making us all go green for driving on the Buddh ).
A BIG thanks to your Rush, for the rare opportunity.

Quote:
Did you drive the FWD or AWD variant?
We were given the front wheel / two wheel drive variants for this event.

Quote:
I guess they wouldn't have upgraded the gearbox on those 180 BHP XUVs you speak of.
Gearbox was stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
From the video, I noticed you were quite 'gentle' on the XUV, unlike this gentleman who was literally testing the ESP on every corner
Yeah, when we were flagged off the distance between vehicles was far too close for any kind of high speed run except on the straights. We were strictly advised not to overtake even on the straights.

A max of 5-6 cars on the track would have been ideal and allowed us to push the vehicle a lot harder. Still, the vehicle is stable and in control at triple digits through the corners.

Quote:
Dont you think if Mahindra had given AWD XUVs to drive, it would have been a better experience?
Lets hope next time they give us the AWD ones

Quote:
You have listed all the positives about the drive. Anything you dint like?
About the event or the vehicle? I did not spend much time in the vehicle, just 3 laps so its too short an experience for me to comment on the improvement areas of the vehicle. In the gaadi.com video, the dashboard storage compartment's flap keeps opening on its own. That was funny and can get irritating too. It would be a nice touch if they had a prismatic display of the speedo on the windshield.

Last edited by n_aditya : 11th May 2012 at 12:30.
n_aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Thread Aditya, And yes you are indeed lucky to drive a truck on the BIC Circuit. The video is very good, wheelspin for an SUV on tarmac well it does talk highly of XUV.

So when the ESP kicks in, does it actually slow down the car?

This thread deserves a 5 Star.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 13:28   #24

I envy you. I was one of the lucky guys selected for the event from the Purple Club, but my Dad refused it on grounds that our XUV would be spoilt by such extreme handling.

And Alas! I get to know that Mahindra was giving its own XUVs on track. An opportunity lost that is... :(
Old 11th May 2012, 13:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Adi thanks for sharing man, you lucky dawwggg .Made for a lovely read, love the tires squealing at 2:38 and yeah what about the body roll ? I am definitely interested in know what speeds did you take the curves at.

Dint bump into Bunny Punia ? I saw his pics from FB at the BIC Torque Day driving.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Awesome report Aditya. By the looks of the report and video, you indeed looks like you had a whale of a time.

Superb pictures to boot as well
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 14:16   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
You were there at the event?
NO. I am commenting after a test-drive in my friend's vehicle, though nothing like doing it on a track.

Quote:
Talk about it man. During the slow lap i was visualizing the 250R on those smooth curves.
May you have the track to yourself soon
Old 11th May 2012, 14:23   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I
From the video, I noticed you were quite 'gentle' on the XUV, unlike this gentleman who was literally testing the ESP on every corner -
Thats fellow member bunny_punia driving the XUV.
rjstyles69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 23:12   #29
BHPian

wow! absolutely amazed at what the XUV is capable of. usually the makers only concentrate on an SUV's go anywhere capability. haven't heard of any maker also boast about an SUV's handling prowess, at least the ones available at this price point.

I know that its almost a given now that this is probably the best handling SUV below the 30 lac barrier barring the BMW X1, which anyways is hardly an SUV. but still it would be really nice if we can have a view from an experienced member/moderator who has driven other SUV's like the Fortuner, Endeavour, Captiva, CR-V, Koloes etc. comparing them in terms of ride, handling, comfort etc.
Old 14th May 2012, 10:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NO. I am commenting after a test-drive in my friend's vehicle, though nothing like doing it on a track.
Ok. Now it makes sense. I thought you were at the track so was wondering how we did not bump into each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I am definitely interested in know what speeds did you take the curves at.
Thanks Riju. I did not see the speedo on the corners unfortunately.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed