Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2012, 16:55   #1
VM1
BHPian

Cycus Grey Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX. EDIT : 6700 kms update

After more than 4 years of wishing, planning, almost finalizing and more waiting, it was FINALLY time to go ahead and execute the plan (all thanks to wifey for the constant push!). And boy, what a feeling it was!

Cycus Grey Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX. EDIT : 6700 kms update-img_6716.jpg

Previous cars
Our family had a Fiat Premier Padmini during my childhood days after which there was dad's official Ambassador at home. I started my driving on a M800 for many years and then a Maruti Zen for some time now. So, yes it was pretty much the basic and common cars all this while. There definitely was some anxiety and excitement when it was finally time to move to a truck! Needless to say, parents took a lot of convincing (or was it forcing) to get a SUV into the family. But this is what I had been looking forward to all this while.

Other alternatives
Well, my mind was already made for the Safari. So there wasn't really much of an alternative exploring that I did. This would be my first SUV, and suited my budget.

However, just to be satisfied I did a TD of Scorpio. I definitely liked it's responsiveness and maneuverability. I had heard enough about it's reliability and maintenance-free type of usage. However, I did find it less spacious than the Safari. And, I already had the liking of Safari's looks.

I also explored the option of getting an army restored jeep, but I knew I wouldn't have the time needed for it's maintenance. Moreover, keeping in mind the family usage needed, I decided to defer this.

What I liked
There are a few things I liked in the Safari. To me, it's looks are high on the list. Even though this is almost a 10 year old design (with minor cosmetic alterations over the years), it still looks very appealing.

The other good things that I like about Safari are:
- The ground clearance: Now, as I like to travel, this is a really good thing to have when you are exploring unknown territories. I wouldn't have to panic at a sudden pothole appearing on the way.

- Seating comfort: It's seats, especially the middle row is very comfortable in addition to the ample leg space available.

- Overall space: This car is spacious! When you don't have anyone taking the rear seats, it's a whole mini room there.

- Sound dampening - I really liked that there was not much engine noise inside the cabin, considering it's a diesel. There is a nice dampener layer under the hood, which seems to be doing a good job.

- Electronically controlled ORVMs: Well, this one is a common feature in new day cars. But for me, it was a pleasant feature being a first timer. And it is good that even the base model has this.

- Express down windows - all windows have an express down feature. You just press the down button for a few seconds, and the windows roll down completely.

- Lumbar support - both the driver and co-driver seats come with a 3-position lumbar support. This will be very helpful on long drives as changing it's position will help your back isn't strained in a single position.

- Follow me home and puddle lamps

- The beige coloured interiors

- The illuminated controls: these look pretty nice at night. All the controls, window buttons, key slot, cigarette lighter rings get a white light.

What I didn't like

- Plastics quality: Well, it is well known and I also knew very well that I wouldn't be getting good quality interiors. Even my M800 or Zen has better quality plastics inside. Just one look and touch of the door lock on the inside made me realize there hasn't really been any improvement.

The ORVMs look good, but one close look on it's rear side or the joint shows the poor plasitc quality. Also, the compartment that holds the jack in the rear end is made of very poor quality plastic. I think investing a small amount on the plastics of such small things will not do Tata any harm. Then why?

- Turning radius - it is really large. I understand there will definitely be a difference when compared so smaller cars, but the point at which the steering turn stops - it stops too early. I have been reading in the forum that this can be tweaked by the T.A.S.S. guys - let's see.

- Cheap wiring/covering - this is visible in many places. You can see taped wires, looking cheap in quality and not covered/hidden properly. I see wires under my top tail lamp on the rear door, near the outer joint of the ORVM, under the hood at many places. Doesn't give a very good feeling.

- The specs on the website talk about a light in the glove box, but this is missing. I don't know if comes in other variants, but it would be good to have this.

I know one may say "itna paisa me itna hi milega", for an SUV of this price range. However, providing these small things of better quality aren't going to set back Tata's revenues by millions!

Choice of the model
My reasoning for going for LX was that most of the extra items that EX had could be added-on gradually, keeping in mind the additional cost of the EX and my budget constraint. This includes items like music system (I could go for something of my choice later), fog lights, remote central locking, etc. I wasn't a big fan of body coloured side cladding - in fact I like the grey one. The roof mounted a/c and rear-demister are the only 2 tough add-ons I felt. Also, I personally like the silver'ish center console better than the wooden look that higher models have.

Colour choice
My choice of colour had always been Mineral Red, though I knew this has been discontinued. I still wanted to give it a try, and upon checking at the plant I was informed that a red one could be sourced though I would have to wait for 4-6 more weeks. I was perfectly OK with it! However, I was suggested not to go for that colour as very few Red vehicles had been sold in NCR over the last 1.5-2 years and it might affect the re-sale. But, I wasn't thinking of the sale yet! Valid point, anyway, I thought.

Also, I was told that in case some part (like the ORVM) or a body work had to be done, getting that colour combination might take some time as it is not a fast moving colour. I, however wasn't convinced with this point, as I think colours are computer coded and it shouldn't really be that difficult.

However, after more discussion with my better half, we decided to go for Cycus Grey (of course, she liked it more than Red).

The booking
I had spoken to multiple dealers in different cities and taken multiple test drives already, so there was nothing really to be checked from the sales person. I had already decided on the model (LX) and just checked up on the Tata Safari website (Tata Safari - Safari DICOR) one last time to compare with other models.

So, I called up Dhingra Motors to get a quote for the LX model and reached the dealership in the last week of April. As we had now decided on Cycus Grey, we wanted to have it in 2 weeks to coincide with an important date - wife's birthday. To this, the sales person asked - don't you want it before that? Well, we were happy to know that we could get the delivery earlier.

The thing is there was a ready piece and I was told it was Mar-2012 manufactured. I was ok to get a Mar vehicle in Apr/early May, so went ahead and paid a booking amount. So, overall the booking process was fine. Anyways, the delivery didn't turn out as planned.

Financing
SBI's 11.25% interest financing appeared the best option. There are no part or pre-payment penalties and convenient 5 year or 7 year terms also available. So, I went ahead with SBI and as expected there were a few trips that I had to make to the bank.

A private bank would have done everything at my doorstep, but then this is the small price I was willing to pay for future convenience. There were some processing delays (again, I was mentally prepared) and finally the loan was sanctioned in about 2 weeks!

Delivery
Well, so the vehicle was already brought into the dealer's yard. As I was informed, the vehicles are stocked at a facility in Faridabad and the NCR dealers transfer them from there. I had got the sanction letter from the bank - handed it over the dealer and he complete the rest of the process. I was told that I could take the delivery. We decided to take it on Sunday, 13-May-2012.

Reached the dealer at around 10 AM, with a print out of the exhaustive PDI checklist that I had taken from team-bhp forums. While we completed the process of signing documents, the car was being cleaned. I walked around the car and checked a few things against the PDI list. It was too hot to stand in the sun around 12 noon, so I could not do a very thorough check. I checked certain important things like the door seams & alignment, signs of leak or wear under the bonnet, tyre conditions, any wierd idling noise etc. The car had done around 72 km, and since I knew it had come from Faridabad this seemed ok. Overall, I felt ok and went ahead.

I had plans of adding these accessories - seat covers, front & rear guards, reverse camera, remote locking and fog lights (music system was planned for next month). However, for the time being I just went ahead and got a MGT reverse camera with a 3.5" display unit installed. I felt this as the most required immediately, as reversing the truck without reverse guidance was going to be a tough task. This system came with a separate display, and I had the option of fixing it either in the center of the dash, or towards the left end. I felt the left side to be convenient, and got it placed there.

The dealer provided me with mud flaps and carpet mats. I have not yet got any other accessory fitted as I am taking time to compare prices, decide on the make/model etc at different places. (inputs & suggestions from fellow bhp-ians are most welcome!).

So, the reverse camera installation was completed and the sales person gave me a demo of the features. Distributed laddoos to the folks who were on the job of cleaning the car, installing the camera, sales person, guard etc and drove my truck out of the dealership.

The first drive
Well, I will admit that it gives a very different feeling when you are behind the wheel in a Safari. I was a bit confused when a car stopped at a roundabout to give way (in Gurgaon, this is something you least expect) and soon realized this is something I should get used to .

Reached home, and got a pooja done at the local temple in the evening. It was really nice to have the Safari home after so many years of wishing and waiting!

Accessories planned
I am planning to add the below gradually:

- Seat covers: I prefer to go for fabric as I sweat heavily and the PU/art leather ones wouldn't do good to my back. Complete fabric may dampen the interiors looks. I have seen some choices with PU material and jute/cotton on the backrest area. I might go in for one like this. Also, I would be checking out Elegant at Noida before deciding finally though I feel they might be expensive.

- Fog lights: Will go in for the Minda OEM ones that come along with the VX model. I was quoted about Rs. 850-900 per light plus about Rs. 300 for wiring and fitting. Sounds good.

- Remote central locking: There are quite a few options and I need to explore more. It would be great to get one which rolls up the windows upon locking (as I have seen in the VW Vento).

- Air pump and mini vaccum cleaner. Seen Coido models, and quoted about Rs. 800 and Rs. 600 respectively. Sounds good.

- Tropicool mini fridge

- Front and rear guards: I have seen options ranging from about Rs. 5000 to Rs. 9000 (ADA, Lotex, etc). Not on the top of my list, so will explore further. Also, one thing to be kept in mind is to go for a rear guard with a step, as I have a rear view camera installed. A regular bar would obstruct the camera.

Driving experience
I earlier had the notion that driving this truck in regular city traffic would be difficult. But then there were many of us on the forums here who said it isn't that tough actually. I couldn't agree more.

A slow release of the clutch in 1st gear adequately pushes the vehicle further and then you can roll on. Of course, there would be certain constraints based on the size, like I can't (or don't, as of now) change lanes as frequently and comfortably as I do on the Zen. Probably it's just a matter of getting more used to the dimensions. It is quite convenient to drive in moderate, moving traffic in 2nd to 3rd gear.

The acceleration is pretty good, given that it is a 2 tonner.

On slightly uneven roads, it feels like rocking like a boat. I don't know if it's a good thing and because of the suspensions, or bad. Probably this is the body roll that folks talk about. Sometimes makes me a little uncomfortable. Again, I feel this on the driver side and not sure if it is felt in the middle seat as well. Probably my parents can comment when we go out on a drive.

The high seating position gives me a good visibility of the road ahead and I can plan my movements a bit better. Also, people do not cut across as much, though there are always exceptions. The 2 wheelers suddenly appearing suddenly on both left and right make me a bit nervous, so for now I try to stick to the right lane as much as I can.

Another thing is a slight drag felt while braking on speeds.I get a feeling that it pulls to one side and again, Safari owners on the forum have mentioned about this.

As I conclude this initial ownership post, I would like to thank other TBHPians for their inputs which I have been reading over the past few years. As you can read in my post, there are certain things I noticed which might have bothered me otherwise - it is the experience shared by others that helped me take an informed decision and remain calm during the initial days.

PS: The pictures here were taken during my drive to Chandigarh - the car's first long drive. It has done about 1200 km now and is due for 1st service.
I have already started having some niggles, including a serious one that has been fixed.

I will be sharing more details about these niggles and my experience soon.

Cycus Grey Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX. EDIT : 6700 kms update-img_6717.jpg

Cycus Grey Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX. EDIT : 6700 kms update-img_6718.jpg

Drive safe!

Last edited by VM1 : 6th June 2012 at 12:08. Reason: Updating on Assembly line
VM1 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 14:08   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Cycus Grey Tata Safari DICOR 2.2VTT LX - 2000 km done, frustrating issues

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 14:23   #3
BHPian

Let me be the first one to congratulate you. The Cyrus Grey looks too good. Even I have purchased a Safari in December 2011. It really a pleasure to drive Safari. Do post some interior pictures as well. Wish you many happy and safe miles. Later on you can get the bumpers and cladding painted. I have also hot them painted on my Safari. You can check my thread for pics.
HappyRoadie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 14:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1 View Post
After more than 4 years of wishing, planning, almost finalizing and more waiting, it was FINALLY time to go ahead and execute the plan (all thanks to wifey for the constant push!). And boy, what a feeling it was!
Drive safe!
Congrats on your purchase. Safari is definetly a good car, just save for the quality.

It is still an aspirational vehicle for Many. Wishing you many more happy miles on this. Do update some interior pics also along with dealer experiences.
Old 7th June 2012, 14:55   #5
BHPian

Congratulations.

The power and the high stance will make short work of any distance - as you will find out.
Old 7th June 2012, 15:10   #6
BHPian

Congratulations of buying this BEAST! Wish you a niggle free time with this TATA vehicle.

Bull Guards shall be on your priority list because of the two wheelers on Delhi NCR roads. Why don't you try Bimbra? They have their workshop in Gurgaon and a showroom in Rajendra Nagar (Delhi). Just google for their address and check the models available at their shop. You may get both the bull guards under 7-8 k.

Now its time for TeamBHP stickers.

Cheers!
Irish
Old 7th June 2012, 15:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My choice of colour had always been Mineral Red, though I knew this has been discontinued. I still wanted to give it a try, and upon checking at the plant I was informed that a red one could be sourced though I would have to wait for 4-6 more weeks.
Congratulations! Looks stunning - I personally like the grey cladding especially on your choice of colour!

As regards availability of the Safari in Mineral Red, is this authentic news that they can make it on order? I thought the red was never reintroduced after the Tata Motors paint shop fire way back in September 2006.

If that colour had been around, I would have certainly thought even harder about the Safari.

Last edited by itwasntme : 7th June 2012 at 15:17. Reason: Spelling
Old 7th June 2012, 16:18   #8
VM1
BHPian

Everyone - thank you for the wishes.

@HappyRoadie - I am actually not keen on painting the claddings. I seem to like the gray tone, so will leave it like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
As regards availability of the Safari in Mineral Red, is this authentic news that they can make it on order?
Well, I was speaking to the Tata Motors (not the dealer) person at Gurgaon, and he checked with the plant about the same as I was really interested in that color. I was told Red could be done, given the waiting time of 4-6 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Congratulations of buying this BEAST! Wish you a niggle free time with this TATA vehicle.
Yes, I hope to have a niggle free time ahead. I have had some niggles in the initial days itself due to which the car was in the workshop within 10 days of purchase. Will be posting details about it.

And yes - TeamBHP stickers are on my list.
Old 7th June 2012, 18:43   #9
BANNED

Quote:
@HappyRoadie - I am actually not keen on painting the claddings. I seem to like the gray tone, so will leave it like this.
VM-1, Congrats on the acquisiton. The Safari is undoubtedly the most spacious and comfortable SUV in its segment and a couple above for 5 people and luggage.

Leaving the claddings unpainted has a lot of other advantages. They remain immune to traffic scratches which otherwise spoil the looks very easily, they are easier to maintain and they look good this way on the Cycus grey as well.

Enjoy your truck and drive safe.
Old 9th June 2012, 18:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on owning the truck , nice choice of color. Do post some interior shots, what was the OTR price you paid ??

Do add Live to Drive sticker on the rear hatch door, best place for that sticker on your car .

Wish you niggle free ownership experience and wonderful miles with her.

Drive safe.

Cheers
Sameer

Last edited by sameerg001 : 9th June 2012 at 18:05.
Old 9th June 2012, 21:06   #11
BHPian

Awesome, welcome to the Safari club and wish you many miles of happy motoring. Keep us updated through your journey and as the miles progress.
Old 18th June 2012, 18:29   #12
VM1
BHPian

Thanks, everyone for your wishes and comments.

As I had written in my initial post, there were some niggles that had cropped up. There was a broken coolant hose due to which the coolant had leaked resulting in engine overheat. The ECU cut off the fuel supply due to the overheat, due to which there was no acceleration and the car stopped in the middle of the road! Now, this was SHOCKING to me as this happened at around 450 KM of total usage.

The part was changed under warranty, but it left a sore feeling. I just wonder what would have happened if I was on a long drive and in the middle of nowhere.

Beside the above major issue, there were multiple minor issues like no air flow from the rear A/c vent, rattling sounds, a fallen nut (!!) on the driver side, etc. These were worked upon during the 1st service at 1300 km, but some issues are still persisting.

During this service, I also got a 3M underbody anti rust coating done as I felt this was needed. In fact, I had seen slight rusting while taking the delivery itself and showed it to the dealer’s person. As usual, he came with some very convincing reply. Looks like it was my mistake to accept it! May be I should ask the dealer to compensate me for the antirust cost.

I am enjoying the drive, but always with a worry in mind as to what may go wrong next. The reason I say so is because of some more problems that I faced during my weekend getaway trip.

We decided to go to Lansdowne last weekend. Lansdowne is a not much popular hill station about 250 km from Delhi. It is supposed to be a small, lazy place where once can spend time and relax amidst the mountains. The route taken was Noida - Hapur - Meerut - Bijnore - Kotdwara - Lansdowne.

When we got down to take a stop on the way, the LHS middle door central lock got stuck and did not lock. I tried to unlock/lock a few times but it did not work. Now, how would I leave the vehicle with the luggage unattended while on the trip? It was very irritating and this potentially ruined my trip. After a few more tries, I applied a little force on the locking lever inside and finally it locked. But then this may happen again and on any door, given the poor quality! With a depressing feeling, we continued the journey.

The 41 km stretch from Kotdwara to Lansdowne is a hill drive, and I must say I was enjoying the ride. It was my truck’s first hill drive. And then, all of a sudden the horn got stuck and would not work. Now, we all understand the risk involved if the horn does not work on hills! I immediately stopped on the side, and tried a little to release it – and the entire horn unit came out in my hand with the wires hanging below! My wife and I just looked at each other with ultimate frustration on the pathetic quality rolled out by Tata Motors. My 10 year old Maruti happens to be more reliable than this!

Irritated, frustrated and depressed I just tried to fix it back into position, and moved ahead. This spoilt the entire mood and again, almost ruined the trip. I am aware Safaris have initial problems, and quality issues – but this just leaves me wondering as to what may go wrong next! My heart wanted a Safari, but now my mind says I could have got a better engineered product for this money! However, the journey continues ..

The truck has now covered about 2000 km, and the main negatives on top of my mind are:
1. Visibly poor plastics quality. My 10 year old Maruti has better plastics!
2. Feeling of unreliability - losing peace of mind.

I will be taking the vehicle to a nearby workshop tomorrow. I have raised the matter with customer care, and at least the good thing is that I have received responses from them. The matter is being followed up from the plant at Pune itself. However, shouldn’t their customers be using this time to reclaim their lives, instead of wasting hours visiting the service center every now and then?

I have still not got any other accessory fitted – want to get these issues resolved first.

Tata Safari had always been close to my heart for many years, so it pains when such things happen in the initial ownership itself. I am still optimistic that things will sort out, and look forward to trouble free drives. Let’s see!
VM1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 19:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats VM. a great buy indeed!

In Feb me and my friend both picked the LX varient and we both are happy with our trucks, lucky you could get this color. we had to opt for alternate colors as thier was no stock of this color.

Dont worry about these minor issues, this machine is worth owning and in this price bracket we cant find anything coming close to this.

enjoy
Old 18th June 2012, 20:04   #14
BHPian

Congrats on the truck vm1 i also got delivery of my safari lx in may and have covered close to 4000 kms in a month and i pray to the big man up in heaven to ensure that my truck aint one of them lemons from nashik! Theese issues do leave a sour experience for some one who has bought a new car worth 9 lakhs. But then like all things india is famous for from
Politicians to mnc's to various corporate houses the public is taken for granted! Enough of my rant. hope your safari's issues get sorted

Cheers
Old 19th June 2012, 11:26   #15
VM1
BHPian

re: Cycus Grey Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX. EDIT : 6700 kms update

@lohithrao, @Born 2 be wild - yes, even I hope these issues are sorted out and I spend more time enjoying the drive rather than worrying.

I am currently getting used to cleaning the truck - and I enjoy it - I prefer to do it myself. I'll probably be getting one of those Jopasu dusters of which many of our friends have spoken here.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks