Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 11:34   #31
BHPian

Re: 2012 Maruti WagonR K10 - A review

@audioholic - Should I go for a metal sum guard to protect the oil sump?
Old 12th November 2013, 13:30   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaycv2k View Post
@audioholic - Should I go for a metal sum guard to protect the oil sump?
Do you get one? If yes do let me know. I would have preferred a plastic guard but if a metal one is available, then I would like to know more details. If it is an accessory or a professional product then I would like to have one. More than the oil sump, the AC compressor is quite vulnerable to stones at high speeds. Though I am trying for a DIY, I dont have the time for it as of now.
Old 12th November 2013, 16:37   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Do you get one? If yes do let me know. I would have preferred a plastic guard but if a metal one is available, then I would like to know more details. If it is an accessory or a professional product then I would like to have one. More than the oil sump, the AC compressor is quite vulnerable to stones at high speeds. Though I am trying for a DIY, I dont have the time for it as of now.
It seems there is a place called Sathnur Service Station where sump guards are available. It is in Yelahanka (near the police station signal towards Old Town). Yet to be verified.
Old 19th November 2013, 16:56   #34
BHPian

Yesterday, I visited the dealer Kalyani Motors stock yard at Kengeri to do a PRI but to my disappointment he said they will not allow me to inspect inside the vehicle. Is this the normal procedure? The reason for not giving the keys is because it seems a customer banged the car against the wall when trying to test drive the vehicle.
Old 20th November 2013, 12:03   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, I visited the dealer Kalyani Motors stock yard at Kengeri to do a PRI but to my disappointment he said they will not allow me to inspect inside the vehicle. Is this the normal procedure? The reason for not giving the keys is because it seems a customer banged the car against the wall when trying to test drive the vehicle.
I did inspect the car in and out but didnt move it as it was low on fuel and the car was in between many other cars. However tell them that you wont move the car. Else threaten them that you will have to cancel the booking, if not registered already. I had put these conditions way before I gave money to them so they had to abide. And moreover the dealer is known to me as we have taken multiple cars from them. Hence knowing the GM, I dont think the salespersons have any control over me
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2013, 10:15   #36
BHPian

Hi All,
I would like to know if any one has opted for the 3M UV protection. There is a pic on their website (before and after pic). The car's colour seems changed. My question is: Will the paint protection treatment change the colour of the car?
Old 27th December 2013, 12:31   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I opted for 3M paint sealant programme. They didnt have any UV protection available. The photos may have been altered to show some difference. In real life, the sealant makes meagre difference to how a new car looks. However the difference will be very significant when done on an old car.

You can get the paint sealant done at 3M car care.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2014, 14:53   #38
BHPian

@audioholic - I am new to driving. Yesterday I was practicing driving on uphill road. I took a road which was quite steep. When I was trying to move the car, I was not able to release the clutch in time but pressed on the accelerator. This resulted in a burning smell coming from the clutch plate, I immediately stopped and went back in reverse with out using the reverse gear as it was on the slope.

I drove the car on the back to home and there was no burnt smell afterwards. I would like to know if this would have affected the clutch.
Old 6th January 2014, 22:36   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@audioholic - I am new to driving. Yesterday I was practicing driving on uphill road.

I drove the car on the back to home and there was no burnt smell afterwards. I would like to know if this would have affected the clutch.
My driver(then) had smoked the clutch on the day the car was brought when he tried to reverse up a slope. Sometime later he was fired because of some other issue. It would have worn the clutch but not to a great extent that you should worry about it. Dont repeat this in the future. Also, make a point that once you revv the engine, dont keep the clutch in mid position but release it completely. That will tone down the engine as well as avoid trouble with the clutch.

Try not to panic when releasing the clutch. The car has the ability to move up moderate slopes without pressing the accelarator. You have to release the clutch slowly and the point where it bites, you should remain there. This will slightly increase engine RPM and you can start off without accelarator. Dont panic and leave the clutch completely if you are trying this. Keep the clutch at the initial bite point for a second or two and notice that the car will move. The main thing is you should hold the clutch pedal at that exact position without releasing it further or pressing it back.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2014, 11:49   #40
BHPian

Ok...Thank you for the inputs. I will practice to release the clutch gradually. I am comfortable releasing the clutch on a plane road but if the road has a gradient I tend to release the clutch quickly.
Old 17th January 2014, 19:26   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

The lack of low end grunt has reduced a lot these days and if the car is not loaded, it can pull well in second and third gears. However it is best to keep the engine above 1.5k-2k RPM for the best performance and efficiency. Recently got to travel in my friends petrol Figo and I can rate the WR engine to be more silent and compared to the bigger 1.2l engine of the figo. Though the cars are segments apart we had considered buying a Figo. To be frank I assumed the Figo to be a diesel until I asked my friend at a petrol bunk.
Old 20th January 2014, 12:21   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The lack of low end grunt has reduced a lot these days and if the car is not loaded, it can pull well in second and third gears. However it is best to keep the engine above 1.5k-2k RPM for the best performance and efficiency. Recently got to travel in my friends petrol Figo and I can rate the WR engine to be more silent and compared to the bigger 1.2l engine of the figo. Though the cars are segments apart we had considered buying a Figo. To be frank I assumed the Figo to be a diesel until I asked my friend at a petrol bunk.
Thank you. I have another question, in my case since I tend to release the clutch early the engine gets switched off too often. What are the disadvantages if I keep restarting?
Old 20th January 2014, 23:46   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Technically, your starter motor will wear out faster. Ensure you dont keep cranking the engine even after it starts up.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 00:02   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Thank you. I have another question, in my case since I tend to release the clutch early the engine gets switched off too often. What are the disadvantages if I keep restarting?
1) Starter motor will wear out faster (as stated by Audioholic)

2) Battery drain and recharge cycle more so battery life lesser

3) Clutch life also will go down;

4) There could be load on the engine + transmission

5) More fuel fed to the engine for frequent restarting (in turn lower FE)

6) knee joints (leg) pain

To be frank the whole car is under stress every time it is restarted multiple times than required.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 20:15   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

6) knee joints (leg) pain

How can the legs pain due to restarting? Due to pressing the clutch and shifting to neutral? If yes then I agree.

Most Viewed