Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 12:25   #1
BHPian

Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family

Story begins in a drive from Trivandrum (my native place) to Kollam (my place for the time being) in my Palio 1.3 MJD during September 2011. I am a firm believer of the service manual and get the service done promptly. Palio MJD had done close to 65,000 kms then and was trouble free till Jan 2011(once the warranty period is over, most things change their behavior).

Trouble started in small scale like the left side door would not open, moisture under the front seats etc which deteriorated to flood under the front seats (due to the AC water drain tube) and serious clutch-gear issues. Adding to the woes was the fact that there were not many trained people in the ASC who could carry out the required work without causing damage. Earlier experiences with the Tata/Fiat ASC at Trivandrum was enough for me to think about a new car.

My Palio and my lil cousin, dressed in the same shades.
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-palio.jpg

Did a bit of searching, primarily in T-Bhp, read GTO’s detailed review of new swift, downloaded all the images in the review, had a family meeting, contacted the Maruti dealer at Kollam – Indus motors, asked them to take a look at my Palio MJD and fix a price and straight away booked the new swift 2011 – ZDI model, white colour.
This happened on Oct 7th 2011.

At the time of booking, the on-road price was 7,02,000/-, nothing offered except a fair price for my Palio - which was getting lower by the day. Resale value was one factor which made sell my Palio in October itself. I had the company given vehicle as a back up so selling the Palio before I got the new car was not an issue. I was told that I will get the Swift ZDI by end of Feb 2012.

That much for the introduction. Now the location changes to Manesar. Almost around the same time I paid the booking amount, “industrial unrest” begins at Manesar plant of MSIL. Talk about luck. Waited out the strike with crossed fingers. Then comes the next blow: Rs 30,000 increased for Swift ZDI. The reason MSIL gave was increase in the input cost and rupee depreciation.

Q. Why the input cost increased for diesel models only? Why Rupee depreciation not affecting the petrol models?
By now I was getting used to not driving a car and using the company vehicle. Thought the 30K increase could be lived with. Came November, information about a hike in the vehicle tax after the March 2012 budget started taking rounds also some increase specific to diesel cars.

Panic. Will I get my car before March 2012?
Enter the thought – “Why not another car”?
Next day, went to the Hyundai dealer – St.Antony’s Hyundai – Kollam. Test drove the diesel model i20. Though I liked most of the things in the vehicle, I also felt that it was too pricey. Also, there was a waiting period.

Because of the previous experience, Tata/Fiat models were not considered.

Also, did not look at the 3 pot engines.

Now, since my selling the Palio MJD, my travelling routines had changed. Made most use of the company provided vehicle, repaired & started using my bike HH Splendor.
Enter another thought: “Why not a better petrol model”?
I always had a soft corner for the ANHC. My co-brother Deepu Chettan owns one and carries around a vacuum cleaner in the boot. I had driven the ANHC for a while and apart from the GC part, everything else was very good.
From T-Bhp, came to know about Honda City 2012 being launched. It had an increased ground clearance and there were changes in the styling like the chrome grill and re-modeled tail lights.

My wife, having known the Honda ride quality and (also since her sister owns one) was quick to say "Yes" to the buying at once and the extra money out put.

Father-in-law, who is like me in most aspects of thinking, (who referred to Maruthi Swift as the now demised Mallu actress Sreedevi for obvious reasons) was also in concurrence.

Then another problem shot up. The lane in front of my house at Trivandrum was narrow and every car could enter the compound only in reverse.
A picture for your reference
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-way-.jpg

I made a call to the Honda dealer at Trivandrum and booked a TD. I specifically told the SA the problem with the vehicle entering my home compound. Me and my wife went to the Peninsular Honda outlet at Kazhakuttam at Trivandrum. The SA was Mr. Ratheeseh, who was very courteous (recently blessed with the baby girl Eesha) and we took the TD. The vehicle was not the 2012 model but the previous one as the new TD vehicle was taken to Kochi for registration (Peninsular Honda is a Kochi based firm).

The drive from the showroom to my home and back was around 30 kms. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. The TD vehicle had 26k on the odo. The vehicle was clean, rattle free and a pleasure to drive.

After nearing my home, our SA Mr. Ratheesh encouraged me to take the vehicle inside the compound. To my surprise, despite being a big vehicle, I was able to maneuver the vehicle comfortably to the parking place. On reaching back, the SA told me that my driving had clocked a mileage of 16km/liter.

The decision was made. We were told that the 2012 model had two new colors, one being Carnelian red and the other Sparkling brown metallic. We decided on the Carnelian Red and the booking was done the next day. I wanted the vehicle to be delivered to me before the 2012 budget. The extra offer I got included the usual mud flaps, floor mats, reverse sensors and the beige art leather seats. O also opted for the 2 year extended warranty. I was told that the car would be delivered in the first week of March. They kept their word.

Mr Ratheesh, my SA rang me during the last week of Feb (on 26/02/12) and told me that my vehicle has arrived. I had downloaded the pre-delivery inspection chart from T-Bhp and took a print out of the same. Headed to the showroom on the next day with a bunch of friends, who are also vehicle enthusiasts. Reaching there, I was told that my vehicle was being unloaded from the truck. Another SA took us to the venue in a Civic. On reaching the spot, learnt that my vehicle has already reached the showroom, so after the small adventure, went back to the showroom, where I first saw my ride.
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-first-view.jpg
Attachment 947084

Booking and delivery experience from the dealership:
Dealer: Peninsular Honda, Trivandrum.
Sales Person: Mr Ratheesh
Booked on: 30/01/2012
Delivered On: 02/03/2012

After my two experience from the TATA/FIAT dealer, this one was totally different. Truly pleasing. At the time of booking, I told my SA that I wanted the Bridgestone radials on my vehicle, which he told me that he was unable to do. Other than that, I was delivered everything they had committed.
I purchased beige art leather seat covers. They also covered the front and back side arm rests with the art leather, which was a nice thing (I did not expect that).
Delivery experience was short and completed in a timely manner. I had to take delivery of the vehicle before “Rahu kalam”, which was done. Also, I told the SA that I would be going directly to the “Pazhavangadi Ganesh Temple”, with no stops in between. Hence, told them to fill extra quantity of fuel. They did that and I was not even charged for the extra fuel. After a brief pooja and crushing the lemons, they took a photo of me accepting the keys and gave me a print. Got a box of sweets and a bouquet of flowers. Bought two Honda labeled cushions from the showroom and headed to the temple.
- The final check up
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-final-check-up.jpg

- Single piece decoration- Simple and good
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-single-piece-decor.jpg

The object of desire parked at home
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-home.jpg -

Another view
Attachment 947096 -

Cushions and bouquet
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-cushions-boquet.jpg -

The hind quarters
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-rear-angle.jpg -

The Goodyear GT3
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-goodyear-gt3.jpg -

The driving force
Attachment 947100 -

ECO with Cruise On
Attachment 947097 -

Pricing and discounts/offers:
I got the vehicle before the March 2012 budget proposals were implemented. Hence the pricing was less compared to the existing rates.

Vehicle model: Honda city 1.5 V MT

Vehicle price: Rs 8,72,000
Road Tax: Rs 52,680
Insurance: Rs 24,618
Total: Rs 9,49,298
Seat covers + Extended warranty: Rs 10,000
Grand total: Rs 9,59,298

Engine type: 1.5 ivtec
CC: 1497, four cylinder
Horse power:118
Month of manufacture: Feb 2012

The good stuff:
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-sree-ganesh.jpg
The cabin is airy and pleasant.
Lots of storage space to keep your knick-knacks
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-door-storage-spots.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-storage-before-gear-lever.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-storage-dash-board.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-storage-rear-passenger.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-storage-under-steering.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-storage-under-center-arm-rest.jpg
Safety features: ABS and Airbags across all variants
ECO indicator.
Real time fuel indicator

Cruise control and speed increase / decrease buttons
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-cruise-main.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-cruise-buttons.jpg

Steering mounted audio controls
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-steering-mount-audio-control.jpg

Decent audio quality

Side mirrors have indicators
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-indicators-rvm.jpg

Tilt steering
Driver seat height adjust

Seat belt height adjust
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-height-adjust-seat-belt.jpg

Good looking alloys

Nice antenna
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-antenna.jpg

Arm rest cover in art leather
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-art-leather-hand-rest-closeup.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-center-arm-rest.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-chrome-handles.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-seat-cover-city-embossed.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-tail-lamps.jpg

Dislikes:
Different color for audio unit and ODO console
No steering height adjust
No auto fold mirrors
No side air bags
Seats too soft and difficult to find the comfortable position.
Thigh support needs to improve
Quality of beading is disappointing
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-small-gap-beading-1.jpg
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-bend-beading.jpg

Getting out for a long jurney
Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-coming-out-narrow-way.jpg

So far I have covered 4200 kms in 3 and a half months

My usage is primarily in the High ways, but the high ways in Kerala are more crowded than some city roads up north. Fellow Bhpian and T-Fort owner - our beloved General would vouch on that I think!

Weekly 70 to 180 km drives, mainly on highways at peak timing.

The much famed "Arrow shot" design gives the vehicle a clean and composed look. Depending upon the shades, the looks differ. i.e the lighter shades add to the size of the vehicle and the darker ones makes it look less bulkier.

The front seat head room is slightly lower for my kind of driving. I tend to sit closer to the steering and being 5'9" some time feel that the roof line is closer to my head.

Build quality is much better when compared to the vehicles in the same category, but lower than the skodas. Refer the pictures of the rubber beading given under "Dislikes".

Space inside is immense. My 5 year old son sleeps comfortably, as if in a couch, in the rear seat. A real boon, considering the difficulty of having him on his mother's lap during 80km runs. The boot opens like a large cavern and one could fit a house inside. Having owned and driven mostly hatch backs, this totally amazes me.

Though many have complained about the City not having the ACC, I feel otherwise. One of the better quality of the City being fuel economy, ACC is not so sorely missed.
AC is an absolute chiller and in a lot of instances, I had to turn it off.

Seats are super soft. Which does not mean they are really nice. Finding a nice driving position is really a task. Under thigh support is just adequate. I will be purchasing a cushion for the seat soon.

I have just done the second service and the performance of the engine has improved tremendously. Having driven a Palio 1.3 MJD earlier, in which over taking was a breeze, I lacked the confidence to undertake even slightly risky maneuvers. After the second service, things are a lot better and I find a confidence inspiring performance from my vehicle. In the city, it is comfortable and as the speed increases it becomes more so.

Gear shift, as many have commented in T-Bhp, during the early morning starts, the shifting to the second gear required a lil bit of strength. Again, having driven a Palio 1.3MJD, that does not rise to the level of a task. For the other enthusiasts this could be a task. But once the engine temp raises to a certain level, the gear changing becomes smoother and very comfortable.

The golden question: Whats the FE? Before the second service, I used to get a decent FE of 14-15-16 km/l. Since the second service, I am taking a bit of liberty with the vehicle, hence, I still get 14-15-16 km/l. This said, it is 95% with AC on and 5% AC off.

The breaks in the Palio 1.3 MJD were much more inspiring,despite the lack of ABS etc. But this Honda City requires much less ground for stopping when compared to SX4 etc. The real fear is stopping the vehicle without getting hit from the rear.

After sales support is really awesome. These guys really try to keep the relation going. I get a call from the friendly SA at least once in a month. Because of my previous experiences, this means a lot to me. Refer the text at the begining of the thread.

Having said all these things, there is a lot to follow, begining with the naming of my ride, the service experience and lot more. I will be happy to keep this thread updated. Hopefully moving on to the long term ownership reviews.

I tend to keep my vehicle in stock form. So that is some thing those who read this thread can expect.

More to follow:

My first an second service experience
Niggles that I have had
How the simple vehicle becomes your own.

Regards
KL01BE

Last edited by KL01BE : 26th June 2012 at 13:04. Reason: updating the thread.
KL01BE is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 12:23   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family

Note from Mod : Thread moved to Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing it with us !!!
Old 27th June 2012, 14:31   #3
BHPian

Congratulations and welcome to Honda Club. Drive safe and enjoy IVTEC.

Keep us updated regularly,
raghu230506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 14:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations mate on getting the Honda City.

It is good to see a fresh ownership report of Honda City.

I have the same seat covers as in your car.

Please do keep the thread updated with regular service updates.

Wishing you happy and safe driving!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 15:24   #5
BHPian

Welcome to the Honda Club mate. Enjoy revving the ivtec.

And coming from a Fiat to Honda, you will enjoy the extra attention in customer service as well
Old 27th June 2012, 16:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, welcome to the Honda club. Its a wonderful looking color.

That engine is addictive i must warn you, your plans of doing less mileage yearly might go bust once you start enjoying it on a free flat highway .

Nevertheless its a keeper for many many years. Also that cruise control is an amazing feature. I extensively tried that in my recent trip to give my right legs much needed rest.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 16:39   #7
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations on the City!

Awesome choice of colour and it's a nice deal that you've got yourself.

Btw, steering is adjustable; you'll find a black knob under the steering wheerl. Unlock it and move it up/down as per your convenience.

Agree about the quality of beadings and plastics.

Everything apart, have a wonderful time owning/driving the City!
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2012, 20:12   #8
BHPian

Thanks Libran, Mayankjha, Shadows, Bluevolt & Raghu for the kind words and support. Owning a Honda City and posting the experience, both have been truly fulfilling experiences. Hope to share more in the coming posts. Thanks again!

KL01BE

Hi friends, take a look at the things I got along with the City. Two bulbs, first aid kit and two screws. Wonder what the screws are for. Any thoughts?Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-things-got-along.jpg

Honda City 2012 VMT. New member in the family-two-screws-why.jpg

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th June 2012 at 21:39. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread. Thanks.
KL01BE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 14:19   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01BE View Post
Wonder what the screws are for. Any thoughts?
The Honda City Product Manager has a quirky sense of humor - graphical symbolization of the experience post buying a high BHP petrol in this day and age of increasing petrol prices
Old 29th June 2012, 14:53   #10
BHPian

I think they are the screws for registration plate on the front. That's the only place those screws go, that's what I have on mine.

Since you opted the RTO number plate may be the dealer left them for your future use. They might have not fit on your current one.

Last edited by raghu230506 : 29th June 2012 at 14:55.
Old 29th June 2012, 15:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Interesting handle and hence here. Congrats on the City.
Sad that a.s.s. kills people confidence in Fiat.

The screws might be for the driver
Old 29th June 2012, 16:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and drive safe . Its a nice color . 15- 16 KMPL with 95 % AC ON is impressive .
Old 29th June 2012, 18:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Interesting handle and hence here. Congrats on the City.
Sad that a.s.s. kills people confidence in Fiat.

The screws might be for the driver

Yes, JK, because after having bought the car, my office guys need the screws to bolt me in the office. BTW we have a common friend- Ranjith of Vijaya group. Have heard about you through him (while i was trying to be a member). Will nail you some time in future for sure.
Old 29th June 2012, 18:23   #14
BHPian

Congratulations on the new buy. I've quite enjoyed driving my friend's new City; it loves to get revved, and the refinement and NVH are a world apart from the Linea diesel I'm used to. Wishing you many happy years with your City!
Old 29th June 2012, 18:37   #15
BHPian

congratulations on your purchase!
Honda makes extremely refined enigines and that is something you'll get addicted to and would not want to switch your car with anything else but a Honda in the future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks