Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Only a WagonR can replace a WagonR ! From F10D to K10B..

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats DCEite. With your low monthly running its a very logical step. Did the Eon or Brio not tick the same boxes as the Wagon R did? Maybe the Figo could too.
Eon was too underpowered for my liking and Brio is a low slung car(I get knee pain if i drive long distances in cars having low seats) and a lakh above my budget.
Figo Petrol? No way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
WagonR is a sensible choice. But, only thing that's still bothering me (ever since you reported in WagonR thread) is the fact that your lifestyle (Income) must have increased much over 2004... then why the WagonR Lxi. You could have treated yourself with a bigger & even better car. Don't you think you deserve better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post

Btw, even I have the same question as the some other folks. Why not an upgrade?
Its a question of Want v/s Need.

There are a handful number of city cars in the market that i feel completely comfortable in from ergonomics point of view. WagonR was shortlisted according to this crieteria.
I did not want to stretch, take a loan and go for a bigger car just because i wanted to show the world that I "Upgraded".

Besides, the WagonR F10D is a generation old platform, and when you consider the improvements in the new platform, the new WR is somewhat of an upgrade in itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
Knowing waggie and you from NCR.. are you planning to CNG-fy?
Not really. My daily running is very less and somehow waiting in CNG queues and compromising on engine performance doesn't click with me. No offence meant to CNG car owners.

Last edited by DCEite : 3rd July 2012 at 11:10.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the lovely car.

I am a great fan of WagonR's practical design. When I purchased my i10 in 2009, I had actually started my car search with WagonR. But I was put off by the vague gear box of the previous gen WagonR.

I would echo your observation about the center waterfall console design in Ritz, which has been inspired by the i10. This waterfall console fouls with the driver's knee, especially for tall drivers, both in Ritz and i10.

Did you manage to get a TD or i10 irde2 ?

Rohan
Old 4th July 2012, 10:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Congratulations on the lovely car.

I am a great fan of WagonR's practical design. When I purchased my i10 in 2009, I had actually started my car search with WagonR. But I was put off by the vague gear box of the previous gen WagonR.

I would echo your observation about the center waterfall console design in Ritz, which has been inspired by the i10. This waterfall console fouls with the driver's knee, especially for tall drivers, both in Ritz and i10.

Did you manage to get a TD or i10 irde2 ?

Rohan
Thanks Rohan !

No i didnt get a chance to drive the iRDE2 even though i did manage to get a test drive of the new Santro GLS (A customer car at that).

The new Santro's engine response, build quality and gear shift seemed inferior to the pre-BS4 Santro's though. Hence it was not considered further.

By the way, i am now getting a hang of the K10 B engine.

It works like a refined Turbo charged diesel engine. Even vibrations at idle remind me of a diesel engine. There is a lag in response below 2000 rpm, beyond that there is a surge in torque. Can be experienced beyond 40 kmph in 3rd gear, there is a sudden surge of power if you put your foot down.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:24   #19
BHPian

DCEite, congrats on the car. Wish you miles of happiness with your new Waggy too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
The low end torque, the seating position, the low cost of ownership and effortless steering (though some may call it lifeless, but i like it in city) were the USPs of the old WagonR with the F10 D engine.
When I was looking for a car in 2006, the two contenders were the Wagon-R and Santro Xing eRLX. I chose the Santro for the following reasons.
  1. Horrible steering of the Wagon-R (still rate it the worst of all)
  2. The Xing's superior low end (still rate it as one of the best)
  3. The most annoying thing was the vague gearshift (I had to literally hunt for the gears in the test drive car)
But the one thing I really liked with the Wagon-R was it's versatility and space utilization. The flexible seating was really good in the old Waggy, so was the boot.

Quote:
The boot space is on the lower side, compared to segment standards. Maruti has played it clever by improving the passenger room and compromising a little on the boot space.
The new Wagon-R has more passenger space, but the same boot space as others like Brio and Beat. Somehow, I feel that the old Waggy was better if you had luggage and passengers.

Quote:
What i didnt like
I have read that the gearshift has improved over the past versions. How is the shift on the new one? Is it positive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The brio is a very nice hatchback but its not a Wagon R.
The Wagon R wins because of the large boot door and the tall space inside.
The kind of stuff I have loaded into my Wagon R would put a small truck to shame.
The boot space now is tiny at 180L (Beat and Brio at 175L). So, if you have passengers and luggage, it's not more practical than the others. But I agree that while hauling luggage, you can utilize the huge vertical dimension.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:27   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
The boot space now is tiny at 180L (Beat and Brio at 175L). So, if you have passengers and luggage, it's not more practical than the others. But I agree that while hauling luggage, you can utilize the huge vertical dimension.
Sorry, I must have clarified. I meant with the rear seats down.

Its like a mini truck with 1 passenger and 1 driver.
Old 4th July 2012, 11:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post

I have read that the gearshift has improved over the past versions. How is the shift on the new one? Is it positive?
It has very much improved. I have not driven the old Waggy, but in the new one I have no difficulties at all in shifting the gears. The reverse sometimes is a bit difficult to engage, but all others are smooth and precise. Once the car clocks some kms, they become even more smooth!
Old 4th July 2012, 12:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sorry, I must have clarified. I meant with the rear seats down.
Its like a mini truck with 1 passenger and 1 driver.
Totally agree and that's what I've written on the second line. If it's 2 people and luggage, you can move house, literally. At this, the boxy proportions of the Wagon-R is actually a boon. I remember my wife's cousin even carrying a fully grown adult (5' 5") in the boot of the old Wagon-R for some distance (Not at all advisable!).
If it had a better gearbox and steering, I would have gone for a blue Wagon-R in 2006. The ride, pedal position etc. was better in the Wagon-R than the Santro.

Last edited by A350XWB : 4th July 2012 at 12:22.
Old 4th July 2012, 14:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. I remember my wife's cousin even carrying a fully grown adult (5' 5") in the boot of the old Wagon-R for some distance (Not at all advisable!).
We definitely don't require such practicality no matter how large or small boot it may be!

It's like people in rural places carrying animals(cow/buffalo) in the small trucks!

Really shocking!
Old 5th July 2012, 08:34   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
It has very much improved. I have not driven the old Waggy, but in the new one I have no difficulties at all in shifting the gears. The reverse sometimes is a bit difficult to engage, but all others are smooth and precise. Once the car clocks some kms, they become even more smooth!
Good to hear that the gearshift has improved because that was one of the reasons why I moved away from buying the old Wagon-R. The old one had a real rubbery feel to the stick and it used to get worse as it aged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
We definitely don't require such practicality no matter how large or small boot it may be!
It's like people in rural places carrying animals(cow/buffalo) in the small trucks!
Really shocking!
I'm not in favour of carrying people in the boot. It was not meant as an example of practicality, but a comparison of size. That's why I wrote that "it is not advisable". In India, you can see much more than this, unfortunately
Old 6th September 2012, 19:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Update:

The car has done more than 2000 kms now and the first service done.

Had a few minor dents and scratchs as well - one of the scratch was at the service center after the car got serviced.

One long trip to Agra vis Yamuna expressway done comfortably, the car held up quite well at speeds 90-100kmph throughout.

Points to be noted:

1) The in cabin noise is higher in the rear seat as compared to the front seat at hight speeds. Not sure why.
2) Nonetheless, the traffic sound insulation is much better than the Old wagonR and is actually better than the New generation Swift - which is notorious for thin window glasses.
3) Gearshift is smooth and precise. Not in the league of Swift though, but there is absolutely nothing to be complaining about.

Fuel efficiency update:

My office travel includes around 7-8 kms of expressway (Noida Expressway) travel and 7-8 kms of in city travel.

The fuel efficiency figures have ranged between 14.5 to 17 kmpl. Yes, 17 kmpl in city with 100% AC On !

I am myself not conviced about this, either i am making some mistake in FE calculation, or the car is actually so fuel efficienty (Touch wood ). I used tankful to tankful (auto-cutoff to auto-cutoff with range of 180-200kms) method for calculating the Fuel efficiency. Hope this is the correct way to do it?

All in all, i am loving the new WagonR and it surely is a big improvment over the old F10D WagonR.

Keep revvin!

Last edited by DCEite : 6th September 2012 at 19:45.
Old 6th September 2012, 21:05   #26
BHPian

Congratulations on attaining the 2000kms mark.
We have a WagonR 2004 model. It has covered around 57,000kms. The car is still really wonderful to drive in the city. Easy to park, can easily carry passengers who are tall and the elderly people just love this car for the seat height. I saw the new WagonR in the showroom; it has a lot of new features and tons of storage space. Even they have trays under the seats for storing groceries and stuff.

Enjoy your car! Drive safe!
Old 6th September 2012, 23:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

HU: JVC KD-X50BT
a bit offtopic, but about the HU
1. how much did it cost?
2. would you mind checking if it can read usb HDD's?
please post your findings here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...990-inr-2.html
Old 19th April 2014, 23:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Update:

The WagonR is now sold for 2.8 Lacs after serving a very very happy 10,000 kms.

Moved into a new state and have decided to upgrade to compact Sedan.

All in all, a very satisfying experience driving this car. Not too many cars even today can boast of such good seating position and ultra light controls (clutch/gearbox/steering). Strong mid range too and best of all, stupendous fuel efficiency figures. However all good things have to come to an end - for a new beginning.

The Chetak horse (WagonR) will now be replaced by a Hyundai XCent.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by DCEite : 19th April 2014 at 23:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks