Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2012, 11:56   #1
BHPian

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X

The story begins in May 2012. My Swift had completed 4 years and still going great. Around this time, we started thinking of a new car . Well, I proposed the idea and wife was game for it. Primary reason for upgrade was our want of a newer, safer car (i.e. with Airbags/ ABS/ EBD) . We initially decided to go for a diesel car only. We were clear that we wanted a hatchback due to the parking constraints in the city and also because of constraints on the budget. Also, we wanted a bigger hatch than the Swift . Ever since the birth of our son, we had discovered how woefully inadequate Swift's storage space was to carry all the paraphernalia which needs to move with a kid. Thus, the hatch needed to be a bigger hatch than the swift.

MY daily run is around 30 kms (mostly in city with a highway trip once every month) . We had frozen our budget to a max of 7.25 lacs on road.

Thus started our showroom rounds and TDs. Following cars were tested and rejected (reasons mentioned )

Ford Figo : Didn't like the looks, lack of rear power windows, Interiors don't look modern

Volkswagen Polo : Overpriced, Less space in rear, Not-so-good engine . Missing features (no USB player, no steering controls), less headroom

Fiat Punto : Less space in rear, Dull interiors, Suspect After sales services, niggles reported

Hyundai i20 : Very vague steering, Wasn't too keen on looks, expensive A.S.S, out of my budget

Skoda Fabia : Not-so-good engine, beige accent in interiors (those with kids will understand this ! ) , Skoda's reputation in A.S.S

So, all the diesel cars I considered had one flaw or the other (which car doesnt' ? ) . We had almost decided on buying Punto. There was a sweet offer given by the dealer which had got its OTR price down to 7.8 lacs

How did it came to Jazz, and that too a petrol ?

Well, the Hallmark Honda showroom is on the same road as Fiat showroom. We were returning from Fiat showroom and passed the Honda showroom. On an impulse, we went into the showroom but never had any serious intentions of buying . To tell the truth, I had always dreamt of owning a Honda, but Jazz wasn't there when we bought our first car and City was too expensive. This time around, Jazz was in our budget. BUT, it was a petrol !! .

Anyway, once in the showroom , we saw the Rallye Red Jazz. And we were blown away - by the looks, space, flexibility, funky interiors - in short, everything . I think both me and my wife made up our minds there itself. Quickly took a test drive and loved the way it drove . There was no looking back now . The decision had been made. This was the car we loved and we wanted. Never mind the petrol prices . We were very sure that we wanted a car we will love rather than compromise and buy something we are only half sure of.

Paid the booking amount for the top end Jazz X a couple of days later and dealer promised a delivery on June 20th. Things got somewhat delayed with the loan disbursement& car shipment. We finally got the delivery of brand new June 2012 model on June 23rd. Armed with TBHP PDI, performed the required checks, did a small Pooja and thus the Jazz comes home .

To clarify, I did not get any freebie at all from dealer. Tried to push hard, but i guess they have really thin margins on Jazz and hence are unwilling to offer anything. However, you do get floor mats with the Jazz.

Experience so far

Driving Experience :

The engine is super quiet at idle speeds and the car is refined when you drive it. There is definitely a lag below 2k rpm - but I would put it as a lag which is noticeable, but not painful. Also, I guess it tends to be a bit more exaggerated when i drive since I have a habit of upshifting early. Other than this, I've found no reason to complain at all. This car is definitely not a scorcher but is no slouch either. Driveability in the city is excellent and most of the times power is available when you want it.

Have done couple of Mumbai - Pune expressway stints with the Jazz. The car is good without being excellent on the highway. It is fairly stable, has fair handling and the steering is okayish (little more feedback would have been better). I had a Swift before this, and I can say with confidence that Swift was a better car on the highway - it was just so immensely chuckable. Having said that, I won't call Jazz as a poor performer on the highway - it is a decent performer. The tyre noise is also on the higher side as compared to Swift, but it isn't bothersome. The power delivery is excellent right from around 70 kmph to 140 kmph (that is the max I have sped her to) and I certainly did not feel any lag. I think it is the handling where it somewhat takes a beating. I have driven i20 on the expressway as well, and Jazz is certainly far superior to it. On the highway, I have achieved FE of 19.6 (Car computer reading).

Gears : Most gears are quite precise and its a joy to use the gearshift. However, I have faced an issue in slotting into 2nd gear couple of times. Not sure why is this, I had pointed it out before the 1st service - Haven't seen any major improvement so far .

Steering : Steering is quite light at city speed, and doesn't weigh up too much on highway. However, I dont find it much different from the Swift.

Tyres : I have seen several folks point out that the tyres are somewhat narrower. However, I haven't really felt the need to go for wider tyres so far. I intend to keep the current set of Goodyears till around 35k.

Comfort :

The car is very comfortable. Loads of space, lots of storage spaces to keep knick-knacks , and a super driving position. Initially, I found my knee touching the center console, but steering and seat adjustment took care of that. There is a very nice feel in the car, which is actually difficult to describe. If I had to give an analogy, it would be like watching Roger Federer in action. All class, grace, smoothness without a hint of discomfort. The space available at the back seat and in the boot is to be seen to be believed. Haven't used the magic seats so far. Interior fit and finish is excellent and you don't see glaring cost-cutting anywhere (except perhaps the slider). Quality of materials is really good and feel as if they will last really long (although no soft-plastics). This car feels BIG from the inside - no two ways about. There is ample space everywhere and it is hard to believe I am driving hatchback. I had TDed the Polo and Punto and it is only after sitting in Jazz do you realize how brilliant is the space utilization in the Jazz.

I have faced one issue with the Power mirrors - I remember salesman telling me that they open automatically once we start the car. However, I haven't seen this happen. Perhaps other Jazz X owners can highlight

AC is sufficiently powerful, but again I have started driving in the monsoons when the temprature is bit lower and hence cannot comment about the performance in peak summer months. But, haven't felt the need to go beyond a speed of 1 on the AC.

One issue which I was mortified of was the GC. To my immense relief, the car has managed to clear all the big breakers in my office premises as well as on the Thane-Belapur road. So, no worries on that front . I have covered more than 2k so far on mixed roads, and there hasn't been a single bump.

1st Service experience :

Car has completed its first service at 1k (i completed in 24 days) . There wasn't any problem really (except for minor problem with the 2nd gear) and hence the service/ checkup was uneventful . There were no charges and the bill amount was Rs 0. It was delivered to me in 3 hours. However, Hallmark Honda did manage to delay the delivery by 45 mins. thus earning themselves couple of negative points on the service feedback. One good thing was the pickup and drop to the nearest station provided by the dealer. However, the driver dropped me to the Nerul station in my own car (not sure what practice others follow).

I haven't fitted any aftermarket accessory so far, though I am thinking of getting a reverse parking sensor deployed.

To sum up :

Good :
  • Lovely Swooping looks, Rallye Red looks brilliant
  • Premium looking and funky interiors. The interiors especially look great in the night - the orange lighting is quite cool.
  • Most creature comforts are there (USB, Steering controls, All Power windows, power mirrors)
  • Good to drive (very quiet, peppy engine)
  • Good fuel economy (getting 15.5 kmpl in first 2100 km).
  • loads of space , very cleverly designed. there is space below the rear bench, which i havent really seen in many cars.
  • Sporty looking Blue black interiors
  • No issues at all with Ground Clearance (I drive on roads with BIG breakers)
  • Full size spare tyre (Non alloy)

Bad :
  • No Climate Control. and that ANCIENT slider for Air Circulation control.
  • No Auto Central Locking (Biggest Grouse with the car). Have lost of count of times, I've left the car unlocked while driving. Getting used to the practice of locking the car before driving.
  • No possibility of fitting external security system
  • Only 1 key with remote - Come on Honda !
  • Bit of a lag below 2k rpm
  • Have found it difficult to engage 2nd gear sometimes.

That's it for the initial experience. Will keep updating the thread frequently.

Some Pictures

At the showroom

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-dpp_0003-1280x853.jpg

One more at showroom

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-dpp_0005-1280x853.jpg

Steering and Dials

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0624-1280x853.jpg

Dashboard

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0625-1280x853.jpg

Rear space

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0627-1280x853.jpg

Boot Space

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0635-1280x853.jpg

Ancient Slider for Air circulation control

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0634-1280x853.jpg

Space between rear seat and parcel tray

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0629-1280x853.jpg

In the parking slot

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0636-1280x853.jpg

Exterior Shot 1

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0638-1280x853.jpg

Exterior Shot 2

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0639-1280x853.jpg

Alloys

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0640-1280x853.jpg

Exterior Shot 3

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0642-1280x853.jpg

Exterior Shot 4

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0643-1280x853.jpg

Exterior Shot 5

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0645-1280x853.jpg

Exterior Shot 6

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X-img_0647-1280x853.jpg

Last edited by Peregrine : 13th August 2012 at 13:32. Reason: Added more details and 1st service experience
Peregrine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2012, 12:07   #2
BHPian

Re: Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X

Congratulations on the new ride Peregrine. The car looks great in this shade.
The enormous boot space is quite handy too.
Congratulation and wish you many many happy miles...
Old 14th August 2012, 15:47   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 14th August 2012, 15:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Peregrine!
for both bringing home a Jazz and putting up an ownership review

Wish you many safe miles ahead.

I think we need to do something about the auto central locking and try to find out if any aftermarket solutions are available.
btw, which tyres did you get?
Old 14th August 2012, 16:16   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Congratulations Peregrine!

btw, which tyres did you get?

Thanks Selfdrive. I got Goodyears with my Car.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:22   #6
BHPian

Congrats Peregrine. Finally we get to see your car(same as mine though)

and interesting enough, i rejected all the cars you mentioned for the same reason. In addition, i rejected a couple more Nissan Micra because it looked like a toy and Nissan Sunny because its interiors were drab and well its too big for bangalore traffic
Old 14th August 2012, 16:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Thanks Selfdrive. I got Goodyears with my Car.
Oh. Did you not get an option at all?
Do you intend to switch to Michelins or Bridgestones?

By the way it seems so different to see a red Jazz after the eyes are so habituated to seeing the deep sapphire blue
Old 14th August 2012, 18:59   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Oh. Did you not get an option at all?
Do you intend to switch to Michelins or Bridgestones?

By the way it seems so different to see a red Jazz after the eyes are so habituated to seeing the deep sapphire blue
Actually, I did not really insist on any specific brand for tyres. Just wanted the delivery to happen in June . Not sure at this point, If I will change the tyres. Let us see
Old 15th August 2012, 08:09   #9
BHPian

Congrats on the stunning Ralleye red Jazz. This color looks awesome. I feel sad that I could not get my Jazz. Had booked it and later cancelled it as I could not get it in time. Enjoy your ride.
Old 19th August 2012, 18:16   #10
BHPian

Congratulations Peregrine, don't know how I missed your ownership review earlier. Ralleye Red is THE colour for the new Jazz (personal bias here, as my Ralleye Red Standard is on her way!). Please let me know if you find any reasonably-priced aftermarket reverse parking sensor, as the the one offered by my dealer costs 8k.

Thanks,
Rahul
Old 19th August 2012, 21:01   #11
BHPian

Congrats Peregrine !
Your Honda Jazz looks sporty especially with those dull metal alloys !
Wishing You A Happy Ownership throughout !
Drive Safe !
Old 19th August 2012, 21:36   #12
BHPian

Congrats Peregrine.
It's a wonderful package + QA of Honda.

It was on my final shortlist but ended up buying Punto. (It was in Feb 2012, Honda had supply constraints then.)

Will keep a close tab on your ownership review to see what I missed. Pls keep updating.
Old 19th August 2012, 22:40   #13
BHPian

Great buy perigrine! This is one car I like and one car that is priced well in the India market.

Stupendous value, excellent space utilization, modern interiors and exteriors, overall it has a nice feel good quality to it. The only thing that lets it down somewhat is the engine and handling on highways but still a well rounded package.

I like that its wide and this shows up in the excellent room all round. Look the rear legroom, sitting in the Jazz with all the glass area and space it has to be the best buy in the segment for those who don't like feeling 'cooped in'.
Old 20th August 2012, 21:03   #14
BHPian

Life and all that Jazz : My Rallye Red Honda Jazz X

As one of the 1st Jazz 'X' owners on this forum (the new version that is) let me congratulate you on your acquisition. The car looks stunning in the Rallye Red (which is my car color too).

Over to some of your points:

Quote:
The engine is super quiet at idle speeds and the car is refined when you drive it. There is definitely a lag below 2k rpm - but I would put it as a lag which is noticeable, but not painful.
You bet !! She is super silent !!

Quote:
I think it is the handling where it somewhat takes a beating. I have driven i20 on the expressway as well, and Jazz is certainly far superior to it. On the highway, I have achieved FE of 19.6 (Car computer reading).
Not sure I followed you here.

Quote:
Gears : Most gears are quite precise and its a joy to use the gearshift. However, I have faced an issue in slotting into 2nd gear couple of times. Not sure why is this, I had pointed it out before the 1st service - Haven't seen any major improvement so far .
Am also facing this issue - am into the 4th service but no noticeable change and also I did not specifically mention to the service person.

Quote:
Tyres : I have seen several folks point out that the tyres are somewhat narrower. However, I haven't really felt the need to go for wider tyres so far. I intend to keep the current set of Goodyears till around 35k.
I have MRF ZTVT and am finding the NVH levels very low.

Quote:
Comfort :

The car is very comfortable. Loads of space, lots of storage spaces to keep knick-knacks , and a super driving position. Initially, I found my knee touching the center console, but steering and seat adjustment took care of that. There is a very nice feel in the car, which is actually difficult to describe. If I had to give an analogy, it would be like watching Roger Federer in action. All class, grace, smoothness without a hint of discomfort. The space available at the back seat and in the boot is to be seen to be believed.
Totally agree with you

Quote:
I have faced one issue with the Power mirrors - I remember salesman telling me that they open automatically once we start the car. However, I haven't seen this happen. Perhaps other Jazz X owners can highlight
Just to the right side of the steering wheel, there is the provision to adjust the ORVMs. Near that provision, there is a small button which you can press to open and close the ORVMs. The ORVMs do not close or open automatically. But just when you are going to switch off the engine, you can press the button to close and just before as the ORVMs are have totally retracted, you press the button again and stop the engine (you basically do two things parallely here). When you restart the engine, the ORVM will open up 'automatically' !!

Quote:
AC is sufficiently powerful, but again I have started driving in the monsoons when the temprature is bit lower and hence cannot comment about the performance in peak summer months. But, haven't felt the need to go beyond a speed of 1 on the AC.
AC is good in summer too. I never put on the Cool levels to the max at any point in time.

Welcome to the Club and wishing you a very safe drives of miles !!
Old 21st August 2012, 16:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaren View Post

Not sure I followed you here.
What I meant was that Jazz is not quite as good as Swift on highway. But neither is it as vague as 120.

Quote:
Just to the right side of the steering wheel, there is the provision to adjust the ORVMs. Near that provision, there is a small button which you can press to open and close the ORVMs. The ORVMs do not close or open automatically. But just when you are going to switch off the engine, you can press the button to close and just before as the ORVMs are have totally retracted, you press the button again and stop the engine (you basically do two things parallely here). When you restart the engine, the ORVM will open up 'automatically' !!

I figured this one out . I guess the salesperson went overboard with the feature set.

Quote:

Welcome to the Club and wishing you a very safe drives of miles !!
Thanks a lot ! I do find myself falling in love more and more with Jazz .

One good news: I will be getting my Jazz X Kit this thursday

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks