Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2018, 10:56   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance

After the performance and lighting upgrades saga, next in the line is upgrading the stock bolero headunit (RCD510) which in 2018 has become too dated, sluggish, with unresponsive touchscreen, and more importantly the lack of media connectivity options (e.g., USB, Bluetooth, Maps, Carplay, Android Auto, camera) in this age is pure sacrilege.

I was not looking for high-end solution for this upgrade as I already have a 'disco' in my Civic. My only requirement is for a simple OEM upgrade that gives me ability to make and receive calls, allows me navigation via google maps and play music - all from my phone, while still retaining functionality of my steering wheels and Optical parking etc.

I found the solution in RCD330g Plus, OEM units for VW cars.

What do I get with RCD330g plus over the stock RCD510 Bolero?
  • 6.5" HD grade touch screen with 800 x 400 resolution, compared to low resolution of just 480 x 234 in RCD510.
  • Better responsive and brighter touch screen.
  • Inbuilt bluetooth capability to make calls or stream audio off from your phone. On RCD510, you will need to purchase dedicated bluetooth module, which itself cost more than the RCD330g headunit.
  • Supports addition of an aftermarket reverse camera.
  • Smartphone integration with the headunit via Carplay, Adroid Auto and MirrorLink connection.
  • Navigation via Google Maps or Waze (via Carplay or Android Auto)
  • Individual sound/volume settings for media playback for Bluetooth, USB, Aux, SD

However, there are few quirks. The RCD330g plus retains almost all existing operations/features of RCD510 except for Climatronic information. And if you have dedicated bluetooth module attached to your RCD510, the address book is no longer available in MFD (MaxiDot) with RCD330g. These are the few drawbacks you will have to sacrifice when upgrading to RCD330g. For me, these are redundant features which I hardly use anyway.

RCD330g at night time

Reverse camera

For more on on RCD330g upgrade on my Yeti, refer to this dedicated thread in Car Entertainment section - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...auto-more.html (Skoda Yeti: Replacing the RCD510 (Bolero) with RCD330G Plus (RVC, Carplay, Android Auto & more))
iTNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 21:10   #92
Senior - BHPian

The last phase of my upgrade is towards making the 'ugly' Yeti a bit more pleasing to the eyes and while still maintaining the 'form over function' principle. I opted for some cosmetic updates on the front as well as on the rear, (which is more bland than the rest) to give a bit of 'bling' factor. Foremost, the roof along with the side mirrors are painted gloss black to stand out.

For the front, added a custom hexagonal grill in the lower radiator intake. This together with the new DRL strip in the lower bumper and new Skoda silver-black/vRS emblem combination brought about an 'uplift' in appearance when viewing head-on. The hexagonal grill also serves to prevent flying stones and leaves from hitting the radiator.

My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-yeti4.jpg

The new silver emblem should last longer as there is no chance of producing the infamous 'white' germs (prevalent in green emblems). As for the vRS emblem on the upper grill, well that's not only for show altogether, for I believe my Yeti had earned it with the bumped up power and torque after remap

My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-yeti1.jpg

For the rear, added an ABS spoiler at the upper trunk lid to give a bit of 'chin' and to balance out the protruding rear bumper. And both are black! Also notice the steel sill guard for the rear bumper with the 'Skoda' marking. Beyond the looks, it also acts as a protector for scratches on the plastic bumper bit when heavy boxes and items are loaded.

My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-yeti3.jpg

The stock vertical antenna is done with and instead, a shark fin antenna is added. Don't miss the large Skoda silver/black rear emblem!

On the sides, added rain deflectors (or visor) to prevent rain drops from falling inside the cabin. They are aerodynamically designed to reduce wind noise, when driven with opened window. Visually, this also gives the Yeti a bit personality when viewed from the sides.

My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-yeti5.jpg

Lower down, you will find the side protection mouldings in silver finish which matches the lower silver mouldings of the front and rear bumpers in both design and shape. The alloys are painted dark grey to complement the overall color scheme of the car as well as to blend it with carbon dust from the brakes.

My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-yeti2.jpg

Last edited by iTNerd : 21st November 2018 at 21:18.
iTNerd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 15:47   #93
Senior - BHPian

The yeti had only auto-dimming feature for the driver side mirror and missed on the passenger side. Moreover, the stock mirrors provide narrow angle view. So, recently, purchased a pair of anti-glare, blue, auto-dimming, heated side wing wide-view mirrors with LED indicator from Aliexpress 11.11 sale. Arrived in 3 weeks.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Land...27424c4dTAQXWq

I tapped the mirror LED indicator wire connection to the side indicator which is in the same housing.

Blue mirror on normal mode
My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-img_4194_1.jpg

Blue mirror on side-indicator flashing
My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-img_4200_1.jpg

My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance-img_4212_1.jpg
iTNerd is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 16:49   #94
BHPian

Need help from Current Yeti owners.

I'm in a market for a pre-owned SUV and after exploring multiple cars and stopped my search on Yeti primarily due to reasons like it's unique & compact design, great 2.0 L Diesel engine and fun to drive factor in SUV (which is hard to find). Searched online classified websites and found 2 used examples.

1) 2011 Elegance 4&4, single owner, Mileage 45,000
2) 2011 Ambiente 4&4, single owner , Mileage 89,000

Both the above cars are from owner directly. They claim that cars are always maintained in Skoda ASS and in good running condition. I've seen the pictures, interiors and exteriors looks good, yet to physically check the cars.

Now, if I check both the cars physically and found them good mechanically and aesthetically, which one should I buy? One with 45K in Odo or the other one with 89K in Odo. I confirmed with the owner of 45K and he said that they are having multiple cars in the family and Yeti was primarily for ladies, hence the low running. I'm more tempted towards 45K due to it's low mileage and top variant.

I'm also sceptical about buying 8 year old Skoda however Yeti being Manual diesel, risk will be bit lower in comparison to DSG gearbox. However before buying any of the two, I'll get the car checked at Skoda ASS. Now my worry is about the parts replacement which I might have to undergo if I buy any of the cars as they are 8 year old.

Can any of the Yeti owners through some light on the required replacements I might have to do after buying the car and how much they would cost? I'll get both the cars in the range of 4-5 Lakhs and I can spend maximum of 1 L in parts replacement and general overhauling, not more than that.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers!
--VJ
Old 27th September 2019, 17:48   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Need help from Current Yeti owners.
Not a Yeti owner, but just wanted to add my 2 cents:
The Elegance car has not even run 6k kms per year on average. While the lower mileage may look attractive on paper, I think it might be better to buy the other one as it has clocked a more reasonable 10k kms per year. From what I've seen VAG diesels stay most reliable when they undergo reasonable (at least 10k kms per year) to high running . Even better if the mileage clocked is mostly on highway runs and not city traffic. I don't have any statistical data to prove my point and there could be people with low running having zero issues. This is just a theory from my understanding. May sound totally stupid and you may please ignore.

My advice would be to search for a newer car if you are not in a hurry. Or go with the Ambiente car if you're okay with lesser features. Good luck!
BigBrad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 19:10   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
Not a Yeti owner, but just wanted to add my 2 cents:
I understood your point as I'm also having the same dilemma. Cars are meant to be driven and low used car might not be an ideal. Will check both the cars and then decide.

Last edited by ampere : 27th September 2019 at 19:16. Reason: compacted quoted post
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2019, 08:19   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ05 View Post
Can any of the Yeti owners through some light on the required replacements I might have to do after buying the car and how much they would cost? I'll get both the cars in the range of 4-5 Lakhs and I can spend maximum of 1 L in parts replacement and general overhauling, not more than that.

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers!
--VJ
See this thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...koda-yeti.html (Case of a snapped timing belt in a Skoda Yeti)
Old 17th January 2020, 00:14   #98
Senior - BHPian

So, with a heavy heart, I have decided to sell off my Yeti (2012 registered but ckd 2011 manufactured) because of the stupid 10 years Diesel vehicle rule in Delhi NCR. My Yeti had done just about 69,000 kms, in excellent condition. Initially, my plan was to re-register it in my native state (Manipur) once it crosses 10 years and run it there (as I stay summer there and winter here in Delhi NCR). However, there is not even one capable FNG at my native region that can service and repair it (when required). No, there are no Skoda Dealers/service centers in entire NE! So, I have at least a year or two to sell it off here. Any Yeti enthusiasts from elsewhere are welcome to check my car out!
iTNerd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th May 2021, 10:49   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
So, with a heavy heart, I have decided to sell off my Yeti (2012 registered but ckd 2011 manufactured).
Any Yeti enthusiasts from elsewhere are welcome to check my car out!
Hi,
Please check your Inbox, I've sent a DM to you.
Would like to chat with you.
Thanks,
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:20   #100

I recently serviced my 2012 Skoda Yeti 4X4 at an unauthorized service station. Apart from regular service I asked to change the Gear Oil for the vehicle. ZIC-gff 75W-85 gear oil was used in both front & back axle. After this service when I drove Yeti back home I found some difficulty in slotting 1st & reverse gear. So sensing some issue with the servicing I decided to get check the vehicle at the ASS. The guys at the ASS noticed that the Haldex Coupling Oil too is replaced with the Gear oil at the rear .

The service advisor advised not to drive the vehicle further as the use can cause serious damage to the Clutch System. Also it was asked to change the oil immediately in Haldex coupling to the OEM recommended one. Now the ASS has ordered the Haldex Coupling Oil as this was not readily available with them. So I am waiting for the recommended oil to be changed in the vehicle.

I seriously need guidance to fix the issues highlighted above. I would request the experts to please guide me on these. Just for quick reference I am mentioning the issue below:
1.) Shall I change the Gear Oil in both the front & back axle with the OEM Oil, which may sort out the improper Gear Slotting problem.?
2.) What is the proper way to flush out the Gear Oil from the rear Haldex Clutch System before using the new Haldex Coupling Oil once received by ASS? As I think the Gear Oil should be removed properly from the clutch system as otherwise it may cause Haldex Clutch system to malfunction or fail .

Eagerly waiting for your support on the matter for sorting the mess the Car is in at the moment.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 3rd August 2021 at 09:24. Reason: formatting
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:23   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupam_hp View Post

I seriously need guidance to fix the issues highlighted above. I would request the experts to please guide me on these. Just for quick reference I am mentioning the issue below:
1.) Shall I change the Gear Oil in both the front & back axle with the OEM Oil, which may sort out the improper Gear Slotting problem.?
2.) What is the proper way to flush out the Gear Oil from the rear Haldex Clutch System before using the new Haldex Coupling Oil once received by ASS? As I think the Gear Oil should be removed properly from the clutch system as otherwise it may cause Haldex Clutch system to malfunction or fail .

Eagerly waiting for your support on the matter for sorting the mess the Car is in at the moment.
Since the vehicle is already at Skoda ASC, It is best to ask them to service the vehicle properly with the correct fluids and you should be alright. Ask them to test drive the vehicle once the work is done and see if anything needs to be looked over.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:55   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Since the vehicle is already at Skoda ASC, It is best to ask them to service the vehicle properly with the correct fluids and you should be alright. Ask them to test drive the vehicle once the work is done and see if anything needs to be looked over.
Thank You Kosfactor for your advice.
The Car is at ASC & now waiting for the team to attend my vehicle once they have the Haldex fluid in stock. I will update once the service is done.
Old 31st August 2021, 19:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
Got my yeti with stage 1 remap yesterday. The drive is totally transformed now - free revving, lesser noise, instant power delivery when you need it. It's addictive and hard to resist from stepping up the gas pedal. I have not dyno'd the car so don't have the exact gains, but think it's in the range of 170-180 bhp/390-400 nm. Had not driven much to see any difference in mileage yet.
How is the remap working? I got a remap done too on my Yeti 4x4 elegance here 7 years back, and must say it's working superb, no problems. My car has done 60k now so am wondering if I should get the decarbonising done. Opinion? A year back had faced the haldex jerking issues at slow speed turning, and got the haldex oil changed, problem solved.
I am actually in a dilemma whether I should now sell the car or keep her it's getting 10 years. Any yeti enthusiasts opinion is welcome.
Old 28th September 2021, 08:17   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
How is the remap working? I got a remap done too on my Yeti 4x4 elegance here 7 years back, and must say it's working superb, no problems. My car has done 60k now so am wondering if I should get the decarbonising done. Opinion? A year back had faced the haldex jerking issues at slow speed turning, and got the haldex oil changed, problem solved.
I am actually in a dilemma whether I should now sell the car or keep her it's getting 10 years. Any yeti enthusiasts opinion is welcome.
Remap is working fine. My car has done around 70K in the last 9 years, with very negligible drive in the past 2 years because of the pandemic, hardly 800 kms or so. I had performed the decarbonizing once and think its worth it.

Before the pandemic I decided to sell the car, but potential buyers/dealers were lowballing the price and hence, dropped it altogether. However, now that it has just crossed 9 years, I have again decided to let it go to a proper buyer who will take care of it. For those of you interested, I had put up an ad in classified section as well - https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...oda/Yeti.html/

Last edited by iTNerd : 28th September 2021 at 08:18.
Old 27th November 2021, 17:30   #105
BHPian

Hi Everyone. Hope you are enjoying your Yetis to your hearts content. I am in the market looking out for a well maintained, Pre-owned Yeti, preferably from a fellow BHPians, for the obvious peace of mind. Please DM me if you come across one. I live in Aligarh, a town in UP, near to NCR area but have no issues with10/15 yrs rule.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks