Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2016, 00:02   #76
BHPian

Re: My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Issue # 1 has cropped up

So the German unreliability bug bit my Vento as well. After a trouble free 14500 kms and 1 year 3 months of the car driving like a dream, am having issues with the car's braking system.

As you all know, the Rapid had braking issues wherein the steering will judder upon braking and Skoda promptly issued advisories and changed the parts under warranty. My friend's Rapid had the same issue (the same Rapid on the first page of this ownership), we sent a strong worded mail to Skoda and after a week both disc and pads were changed under warranty wherein earlier the service centre had said they will only cover the disk under warranty.

Am pretty sure this steering shudder/judder is due to the warping of brake rotors but am at a loss of words on how within 14,000 kms, something went bad. Will shoot a mail to VW, attach the Skoda advisory, link to this ownership thread and ask them the reason for this warping.

Both Skoda and VW use same parts but if this issue was with Rapid then why not with Vento, the estimated cost for the change of rotors and pads is around 4000 for no mistake of mine

Will update on how VW responds to my mail. They should atleast cover the labour and cost of brake discs. The same scenario happened with Linea wherein the strut pads got rusted as it had a design defect (water entered and caused rust), i complained and FIAT was gracious enough to cover 50% of the repair cost out of both warranty and extended warranty.
This juddering issue hit my Dec 2015 vento at 11,100 kms on the odometer at 9th month. The steering wheel vibrates/judders heavily when the brakes are applied at speeds over 100 which a clear case of rotors is warping up. Volkswagen madras, (Kun Alandur) told me that it needs a replacement soon and that i need to pay for the cost of replacement, the cost of rotor and pad works out to 8000 INR onclusive of labour. When i asked them on options like skimming or cleaning they said it will not work out effectively.

after reading through the VW juddering issues which fellow Team bhp members faced, i wrote a strong email to VW customer care and they assured me immediately that my issue will be resolved under their supervision.

The next day Kun Volkswagen madras approached me to bring the vehicle for action and again the service advisor was keen in not replacing the rotors - rather he was saying that cleaning the rotors will solve the issue or he said he will arrange for a skimming. I reminded him on his initial suggestion to me to replace the disc and pad and questioned him on how can he opt for a cleaning now which he initially declined - finally he went and spoke to Service manager and came back and told me that they have decided to replace the rotors alone under warranty stating that brake pads are fine and that they will last another 10,000 kms easily. I was also ok with it because i felt that it is not fair for me to expect VW for replacing brake pad for my usasge.

Finally they replaced the two rotors and the vehicle is fine now. there was no invoice raised towards the replacement but the SA got a "satisfaction note" and ''feedback form" alone signed form me. Then the service manager himself came for a test drive with me and my vento brakes fine without any fuss/judder.

Later when i reached home, the service manager called me over my mobile, told me that the guys missed to open a job a card before the work was carried and told me that they are doing it now because if which i will be getting an SMS on the same and requested me not be get confused about it and requested me to ignore it with kind heart. he also requested me to provide a positive feedback to VW on the work done.

My question is: How can i make sure that the rotors are a new one and not a skimmed old one - reason i get suspicious is that i did not happen to sign any invoice during the entire replacement process, is there any way i can make sure I was not deceived? please let me know your thoughts. i was suspicious because the SA was talking to the mechanics who worked on the rotors replacement very secretly(showing some signs) thereby ensuring i was not understanding what they converse.

I was surprised that a single escalation email to VW did wonders - i am glad that VW is inclined more working towards customer satisfaction which these dealers are making a mess. I feel proud to be a part of team bhp: it is because of this forum i happened to save close to 5000 INR today as a part of this replacement

Thank you Team BHP and fellow members.

Regards
Anandh
Old 25th November 2017, 22:38   #77
BHPian

Re: My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
38,000 kms update
New brake pads

My brake pads which i had got installed at 14,000 kms when i faced shuddering were worn out. I was in two minds whether to go for brembo pads or some thing else. Did not want to go for the stock pads. Had a look at Ferodo brake pads available on Amazon India and ordered them with 1 day delivery. Got them fitted as the rotors were fine and needed no skim/lathe. These offer an excellent bite and unlike Brembo pads, they do not have any squealing issues. Ferodo is a UK brand and OEM supplier to many cars there.

I am planning to upgrade Whole heartedly recommend other members to use these brake pads for their Polo/Vento, very good pads.
My Vento has clocked mileage of 25K kms and i insisted the service center to change the brake pads during my 2 nd year service, but the SA had recommended to make the replacement after 5K Kms but i am not confortable taking the car to 3 digit speeds with the worn out brake. offlate one feedback that i hear consistently is that the material in TVS pads are the culprit that makes the rotors worn our soon in Vento/Skoda and in fact couple of cab drivers told me that the rotors in their swift also got worn only because of rough TVS brake pads. In fact i could co relate the warping of my rotors during 11K kms to this brake pad issue now.
Whats's your feedback about using the Ferodo brake pads on the longer run
1) How long does the ferodo brake pad lasted
2) How is the bite when compared to OEM
3) Any negatives that i need to know
4) if you recommend Where do i purchase original Ferodo pads - i am very particular that i do nt want to end up buying a fake one from the market
5) what is the part number or model that suit Vento 2015 model - Diesel.
6) do you recommend replacing the rotors also in one go - if yes which brand rotor do you suggest.

Last edited by anandharamanp : 25th November 2017 at 22:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks