Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 14:35   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
If @coolboy007 is referring to what I'm referring to, then he's not talking about the paint coming off due to accidents/scratches/dents - these are small dot-size chips that appear on the car, especially on the hood due to small stones that hit the body while driving (at high speeds). .
Ninja, the paint on your bonnet is different from the "dot-size chips" that you are referring to - right ? I am sorry but how would stones hit the hood , are you referring to the pebbles flying off the vehicle in front ? I haven't noticed any chipping off due to flying pebbles , is that there in your car.

Quote:
Surprisingly, with respect to general dents, the paint holds on quite well - as I and @mikon have found out in a recent accident.
Hope nothing serious , were both of you stress testing Pune traffic ?
Old 13th August 2012, 14:54   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Ninja, the paint on your bonnet is different from the "dot-size chips" that you are referring to - right ? I am sorry but how would stones hit the hood , are you referring to the pebbles flying off the vehicle in front ? I haven't noticed any chipping off due to flying pebbles , is that there in your car.
Yes, the bonnet paint problem's a different issue. As for the reasons for chipping, the only option that comes to the mind are the pebbles flying off. Not only on the bonnet, but I have a few on the side sections too. Maybe I should take this up a bit more seriously with VW - didnt' stress it as most of the chippings should be taken care off by the re-painting of the bonnet.

Lucky you for not having this problem!

Quote:
Hope nothing serious , were both of you stress testing Pune traffic ?
Lol - To put it outright, nothing really serious happened to us or to the car! But a lot happened to the maruti van that was also involved in the accident. As for the exact event's details, maybe Gautam can answer that properly considering he was an audience to the entire event!
Old 13th August 2012, 15:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Guys, clicked a close up of the 3 paint chip offs on my car and you can clearly see what i am talking about. Will try getting the Rapid's chip off too so that you can compare that it too has exactly the same thing.

This most probably is due to stones flying, the same thing may happen if doors from other car's hit ours while in congested parking.

My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-team-bhp-paint.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Do post some pictures. Both the Vento & Rapid chips offs would help understand if anything can be done to avoid the same.
Paint chipping off is agreeable for lower end cars. VW Group cars should have been better ! Do your other cars not exhibit this characteristic ?
Thanks, yes am a bit disturbed by this issue and i have added a photograph. No, our 3 year old Linea doesnt have any chip off from side fenders, will add a photo for comparison and the Scorpio is 6 years old so it already has a lot of scratches and nicks.

Quote:
Do you think this could help your hard clutch issue ? (clutch hose pipe replacement)
- Link 1
- Link 2 & several other references.
This might help but i thought that since me and my friend both have a 2012 Rapid and Vento, this issue must have been sorted out in newer batches. Dont want to get this issue addressed before first service, i believe in "if aint broke, dont fix it" as most service personnel make matters worse instead of fixing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by souravc View Post
Can you please post pictures please ? This is a bit surprising (for me at least ) since I have had a gate dropped on my Vento at a mall and still the paint didn't chip off which made me believe that the paint quality is good. Would be helpful to see the pictures of the paint chip off
Picture added, as ninjatalli said it is happening due to pebbles or stones flying.

Quote:
If @coolboy007 is referring to what I'm referring to, then he's not talking about the paint coming off due to accidents/scratches/dents - these are small dot-size chips that appear on the car, especially on the hood due to small stones that hit the body while driving (at high speeds).
Exactly !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpingheart View Post
Congrats on your new Vento Buddy!! I seriously believe like you said, if the steering would be hydraulic in the Vento, it would become the perfect car.
Typical Indian Response - 22 kmpl / 17 kmpl!!!!!! Kudos! (That is awesome!)
Thanks buddy, yeah i too would have loved the hydraulic steering but no car is perfect, you gain some, you lose some.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 13th August 2012 at 15:45.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 23:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Woho, its been ages since i updated my thread, a lot has happened ever since the Vento entered my life, its been giving me immense pleasure with the wicked 250 nm of torque, zilch turbo lag and just brilliant dynamics out on the highways. I have faced some niggles (more on this later), the car has been delivering a constant 17.5 km/l in city and i just had a 600 kms trip to chandigarh and back (all 4 lane highways) and it delivered a good 19.2 km/l with ac on all the time and some spirited driving.

As i had mentioned that i was very disappointed with the headlight setup as it was just like a candle out on the highways, both (me and my friend, you guessed it right, Rapid wala ) got our upgrade done together.
Special thanks to member el lobo for his detailed post on this.

1. Philips essential vision 90/100 for Low beam
2. Philips crystal vision HB4 for fog lamps
3. Philips relay kit
4. Philips blue vision W5W for parking lamps.

The entire thing costed me around 3000 INR and the results are brilliant, the low beam is quite good but its the high beam that makes the 3000 bucks seem well spent, stupendous throw and intensity, i can drive with confidence now.

The biggest selling point of Rapid/Vento is this 1.6 TDi monster, gives a big grin every time you mash the throttle, picks up speed in any gear from any speed, unlike the Verna, it has the chasis and suspension to use this 105 bhp with ease. Above 100, it flattens out rough roads and sticks like a leech, yeah that loud thud from behind does comes once in a while but i have got used to it.

Some things which disappoint me a lot with this car :

1. Paint quality - initially i thought i was exaggerating but the VW paint is just too delicate for India. Maybe its the issue with metallic shades only (both Rapid and Vento face this) but the no. of paint chip offs are increasing. 3 were already there, i have got another 3 on the left side.

Wondering what would happen after 3-4 years down the line, car would look horrible with pimples all over it. I was moving at 100-120 and a flying stone hit the body, i thought damn, paint must have chipped off and lo, it indeed did. My 3 year old Linea doesnt have a single chip off like this, thats a FIAT and this is VW.

What would the 3 year paint warranty do when there is no paint left on the car, from terra beige, it would turn candy white.

2. Plastic quality - Read of air con vents breaking so i am being extra cautious but my friend'd Rapid already has a broken vent, in my case its the driver side sun visor (mine is the first i guess). I pulled it towards myself and the bracket on left side broke and went inside the vents near windshield , am lucky that it isnt creating any noise or else i would have had to get everything opened.

Coming from a Mahindra and Fiat, i expected better but hard luck, whereas the car reeks of quality inside, there have been serious cost cuttings at some places.

3. Steering off centre - Both Rapid and Vento have this and we have tested it extensively. The steering when kept 5-6 degree to right, the car moves straight, keep it straight and the car veers left. Thats how i got the car delivered and same has been the case with Rapid.

4. Door beading squeak as usual but i am too lazy to apply WD 40 on it, i have a can lying at my place.

Update on Rapid
Rapid has completed 5000 kms and its going smooth as ever with the same niggles as i face, he got his first check up done (6 months )at the service centre and was overall satisfied with what Skoda had to offer.

The car required a oil top of around 300 ml at 4300 kms and same was done at home, the 6 month check up costed zero. Smooth sails.
Some pictures of the light upgrade -

Low beam with fogs on - inside
My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-img_2551-copy1.jpg

High beam with fogs on
My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-img_2552-copy.jpg

Low beam with fogs on (photo from roof)
My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-img_2553-copy.jpg

High beam with fogs on
My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-img_2554-copy.jpg

Some random shots of how the white light looks
My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-img_2556-copy.jpg

My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-img_2558-copy.jpg

My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-img_2559-copy.jpg

Fuel efficiency, oh i love the VW TDi
My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-screenshot_20121008224646.png

Last edited by coolboy007 : 8th October 2012 at 23:18.
Old 8th October 2012, 23:40   #20
BANNED

Great ride you have there.
You seem too be enjoying it full.

But the niggles are quite surprising, at least in the paint area.Volkswagen even offers the warranty on paint,i suppose. So you can try getting it fixed.
Old 9th October 2012, 02:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari
But the niggles are quite surprising, at least in the paint area.Volkswagen even offers the warranty on paint,i suppose. .
Thanks, am having a lot of fun indeed. After driving a petrol linea for so long, this car feels like a rocket.

VW does offer warranty on paint but i was told at delivery that it applies only on color fade/discoloration or water marks etc and not on any physical damage.

Even if they did, i dont find it prudent to lose factory paint finish due to these chip offs.
The paint shine is top class, after a detailing session if one sees a black/blue vento it shines like crazy but durability is questionable.
Old 9th October 2012, 08:31   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
As i had mentioned that i was very disappointed with the headlight setup as it was just like a candle out on the highways, both (me and my friend, you guessed it right, Rapid wala ) got our upgrade done together.
Special thanks to member el lobo for his detailed post on this.

3. Philips relay kit

The entire thing costed me around 3000 INR and the results are brilliant, the low beam is quite good but its the high beam that makes the 3000 bucks seem well spent, stupendous throw and intensity, i can drive with confidence now.
Thanks for a detailed post on the headlight upgrade coolboy. I wanted to know one thing. Its not clear from the pics whether the light is pure white or a slight yellowish. Can you please confirm if this setup has pure white lights (like those of HID's).

Also, can you also confirm whether the light color of Headlight and Fog lights are the same. I mean, I have looked for many options, but always there is a slight color difference in Headlights and fog lights.
Old 9th October 2012, 14:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Is the light output actually that bright or appears so in photos ? If it is that good, then its superb! It'll be a blessing on those single lane highways. Btw, have you had a chance to test the lights in rain ? Any problems you've faced ?
Old 9th October 2012, 16:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
3. Philips relay kit
The outcome looks absolutely brilliant, infact the throw seems the best I have seen till date. Could you please share individual costs and the place to get this done.
Old 10th October 2012, 16:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
Can you please confirm if this setup has pure white lights (like those of HID's)
@Repsol,
The lights are pure white and dont have even a slight tinge of the yellow beams like halogen. Its plain white.

Quote:
Also, can you also confirm whether the light color of Headlight and Fog lights are the same. I mean, I have looked for many options, but always there is a slight color difference in Headlights and fog lights.
Mine is a slight mismatch too, the headlamps have 4000k color temperature while fogs were 4300k. I couldnt procure bluevision HB4 for fogs like one member el lobo did for his Vento, he says his is a perfect match.
You cant make out the difference once all the lamps are on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Is the light output actually that bright or appears so in photos ? If it is that good, then its superb! It'll be a blessing on those single lane highways. Btw, have you had a chance to test the lights in rain ? Any problems you've faced ?
It is that bright , from the stock headlights this is a big big improvement. I was scared of 90/100 setup due to relays etc but then had to give in because the stock lights are pathetic.

You need to see the high beam to believe it, its too bright and brilliant spread, the stock lights had okay spread but the intensity was very weak.
I havent tested in rains yet, will update once i do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
The outcome looks absolutely brilliant, infact the throw seems the best I have seen till date. Could you please share individual costs and the place to get this done.
From what i remember, i will jot down everything -

1. Philips essential vision H4 90/100 bulbs - 700 for a pair.

2. Philips bluevision W5W for parking light - 200 for a pair.

3. Philips crystal vision HB4 9006 for fogs - 1150 for a pair.

4. Philips 90/100 relay kit - 950

Got the installation done at Reliance autozone, Gurgaon. They had all the bulbs in stock, hope that helps.
Old 14th October 2012, 17:39   #26
Senior - BHPian

I really didnt want to add this accessory as i dreaded it will spoil the whole look and side profile of the car but the paint chips forced me to add the side door beadings. It will atleast save the car from those careless fellows who love to slam open their doors on other cars. The beading should save some hits, i like to keep my car clean without any bumper guards etc but had to install these, the car looks sad with these on but i need to learn to ignore it now.

Another sore point left is the sad Rs 20 number plate installed by the dealer, dad went to the hsrp centre on Monday early morning but my plates havent yet arrived, will take atleast a month more

Also gave some detailing to my love, Meguiars hi tec yellow wax with a coat of Collinite 845 and she looks yummy. The shine is awesome but collinite attracts a lot of dust, frequent use of Jopasu in near future.

Attaching a pic of the door beading, costed 600. Collinite is a lovely product, the shine it brings is worth the muscle flexing required to buff it off.

My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-team-bhp-now.jpg

My Terra Beige VW Vento TDi - 38,000 kms update-team-bhp-now1.jpg
Old 14th October 2012, 21:20   #27
BHPian

The door beadings surely look ugly. You can get them painted same as the body color, and that would go a long way in enhancing the looks. Have got them done on all my cars till date, and the resulting looks are worth it. Same goes for the mud flaps.
Old 22nd October 2012, 16:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Rapid v/s Vento - noise, suspension, clutch comparison

I had always wanted to do this comparison but was waiting for my Vento to complete a few thousand miles so that the engine settles down as i had always wanted to compared the engine noise and suspension between both the cars and my good luck that my best friend had recently bought a Skoda Rapid.

A few vital stats for both the cars -

2012 July - VW Vento TDI - running on Bridgestone MY 01 195/60 R15, completed 3100 kms.

2012 March - Skoda Rapid TDI - running on Micheline XM1+ 195/60 R15, done 5000 kms.

Back to back test drives were done on both the cars.

1. Both the cars had a cold start, they were off for more than 24 hours. We started with Rapid first and carefully noticed the engine sound as we progressed, noticing how the engine sounds on a typical cold start and then as it progresses.

Once done, we started the Vento, the noise levels were similar if not exactly same. Both me and my friend came to the conclusion that the engine noise inside Vento's cabin was exactly same as that off Rapid, there wasnt any difference, neither at idle, neither at 60, nor at 80.

You can safely assume that whatever improvements Skoda had carried on NVH department in Rapid have been carried over to Vento.

2. Next were the clutch and gearbox, the moment i drove the Rapid, i knew the clutch was different. Compared to Vento, Rapid's clutch play was a lot lesser. Yes it had those pulsations like Vento but in traffic, Rapid's clutch would be better.

Vento's clutch was a little softer but the play was longer than Rapid.

I didnt notice any difference in gearshifts but my friend told that the slotting of gears in Vento, especially the 2nd gear was less notchy than his Rapid. We will check it out in detail next time.

3. Suspension - the other difference where posts suggest than Rapid is stiffer and Vento is on the softer side. I couldnt test it out properly on curves etc but we tested the cars on a broken patch (by chance) and my friend was quick to react that compared to his Rapid, less bumps were getting transmitted inside in Vento where he every pothole in his car. This despite that he is running on Michelins which are known for ride quality.

The Rapid is definitely on the stiffer side, its less nervous on undulations where Vento waves but does transmit undulations and small bumps, a characteristic of stiffer suspensions. Its not a vast difference but yes the difference is there.

Would try to check out body roll, fear factor (on turns etc at 70-80 as i have ample places near my residence where i can safely do it and report back).

My car has squeaks from doors and the Rapid has developed a squeak from the rear parcel tray.

As for Skoda service, he is extremely happy with it till now. We both had our steerings off centre to the right which we got solved with some adjustments in alignment as his father owns a tyre shop in Delhi, the issue was solved in both the cars.

He has sent a few mails to Skoda and recieved a prompt response every time, i havent mailed anything to VW yet. He was disappointed with the experience at service centre for first check up but thats a given since he was used to Toyota service.

Good bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpMan View Post
The door beadings surely look ugly. You can get them painted same as the body color, and that would go a long way in enhancing the looks.
Am contemplating doing it but need to find someone good with it so that the paint holds up. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 22nd October 2012 at 16:57.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2012, 21:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Encountered a pretty strange issue yesterday with my Vento, not quite sure if its an issue or was just one off chance but i dont feel good about it.

Vento was quite dirty with all the diwali smoke and firecracker remains and dad thought of giving it a wash yesterday morning while i was still asleep, i didnt know that he had even washed the engine bay, no we dont have any water jet or karcher machine, just a small bucket and a cup with which he did the cleaning as he likes his cars clean.

I came down, unlocked the car, beeped twice as usual, ignition on, everything normal and when finally i cranked, to my horror , all i got was 3-4 click sounds and all the lights dimmed off on the instrument console. Within those 30 seconds i had those flashbacks of flatbed trucks for german cars, the poor reliability records and what not.

Took the keys out, locked the car, unlocked again, cranked and this time the car started without any hiccups - like everything was normal. Just that i lost the one touch up/down window operation and my trip meters got reset to 0, enabled the one touch windows by referring to the owners manual later.

Have asked dad not to wash the engine bay ever and also not to take the car out for a few days as would myself like to check if this issue reoccurs.

Still clueless on what happened, both Linea and Scorpio have had their engines washed with a little water to clean the dirt off from past 4-5 years but this was surprising.

Lesson learnt - never to wash the engine bay myself
Old 15th November 2012, 00:20   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lesson learnt - never to wash the engine bay myself
Absolutely, never ever. Engine bay just needs to cleaned by moist cloth to wipe of the dust and to make it clean. Never splash water into it. European cars have all these gadgetry in their engine bay which is likely to go bonkers due to water.

Since your car started with another crack, nothing to worry. Once my Vento's AC conked off while driving. Turned off the car, locked it , unlocked it & restarted. Everything back to normal. Germans are quite finicky. Use your Vento as you used previously and watch out if it again gives out any signs of tantrums.

I use Jopasu duster to clean the engine bay followed by a quick wipe down with ONR as QD. At most you could even detail the engine bay by a plastic/rubber dressing.

Most Viewed