Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2012, 16:56   #46
BHPian

Re: Courtship with the Renault Duster RxZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
Congratulation for your new beast. Its a nice review & beautiful pics.

I have a query, from where you did the lamination of floor carpet & how much its cost. Is it pasting with original carpet.

As Samarjit mentioned, hope we can get a closer look in our next TBHP meet.
Hello Shomshree, did the lamination from Mirania, Kolkata. Its not pasting but a soft but thick material cut and stitched
according to shape and slope of the floor. Cost 5.5k

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamrei View Post
Congrats on your new Duster. And thank you for quite detailed first impression and ownership report. I hope you will come out with another report after the first free service or so?
Thanks Llamrei for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Beautiful photographs !! The duster looks like a chameleon against the background !! Perfect colour for your activities.
Thanks Nip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
This was my "much awaited birding trip" and a big thank you for the lovely photos.Awesome.

I am really glad I am not the only one who has to fight the tendency to put competition on roads to rest. Keep telling myself to grow up,but never been able to control myself. Or rather the Duster breaks my resolution and indulges me.

How was the performance in bad road? Did the Duster underbelly touch ground even once?These are the type of roads where the odd stone/boulder lies plum in the middle of the path and you cant work your way around it, if my guess is correct. Pretty sure in your taverra days you must have collected the odd stone somewhere.

And finally, regarding plastic life, only time will tell. On careful analysis, if only Renault had provided a decent enough contemporary Dash board "for the money which they are charging",I will not crib so much. As long as there is warranty, I guess we can feel relatively covered.
Cheers
Hi Neil, as you would know, Duster seems to be at home when on bad roads. The same potholes seems a bit larger when in other SUV's.

"Did the Duster underbelly touch ground even once?"
It did not. Since it was raining heavily for the first two days of the trip, I canelled further stay and decided to return back on the third day morning.
A few kms from the place where we were staying is a major landslide prone area.

At 4.30 in the morning we left the place only to come and get stuck at this landslide prone place.
Reason, 3 bouldres about 2-3ft in length lay on the middle of the road, right of which, the road has already caved in.
With no way to go but over the rocks, ordered my two friends to get out and remove them, it was still raining and Duster was standing on loose gravel.
Both of them got down, tried to move one rock, looked at me and nooded.
I opened my(driver) side door (thinking I go to gym, do deadlifts, with the help of other two it will be an easy task), got down and we
all three tried to move the rock. IT DID NOT MOVE EVEN AN INCH.

Dejected, concerned, tensed in heavy rain and darkness, I decided to take the Duster over these,
With the guidance from my friends in front, got over the rocks one by one, an ordeal that seemed to be never ending.
At all times during this drama was the idea, what if a landslides starts now and I being swept across the road to heaven.
The long wheel base was a concern but the Duster sailed through with flying colours.
I regret not to have shot a video of this.

Feeling after the ordeal: fabolous in one word, driping wet in swet, I felt to be a proud owner of a Duster.

With the Tavera, I would have waited for the daylight to break and help to arrive.
With the Safari. no idea, could have damaged the differential, may be, may be not.

I thinks the plastic will last. My Safari started making sound on the first trip.
Duster is soundless still yet and I have a gut feeling it would stay that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Good stuff man. Enjoyed the pics of birds (and also the brown duster )
I wish I had shot more pics of my Duster during my Thekkady/Kodaikanal trip last week. But with the 100-400 not leaving my Canon 7D, I was always running after the birds (some pics on my FB page).
I do have to say that my lower back hurts after some 3 hour non stop ride.

PS: Reminder to self to update my ownership thread
Thanks Thalavoy, pm me your FB links.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchit23 View Post
Awesome pics! First time seeing a Duster doing a bit of off roading. And it sure looks at home on those roads
Thanks Suchit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Some really awesome pics there, Himadrimodal!
The marketing blokes at Renault should be calling you to use these for their pamphlets!
The Little Beast in Woodland Brown looks like a natural in its habitat.

I agree with your conclusion:
"To all those who have been shouting about how much cost cutting Renault has done in its interiors,
I now confidently know its made up with whats underneath the hood and body."
Thanks Righd Rotor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead1981 View Post
Awesome pictures man!! I have a soft spot for woodland brown for it is the same colour I have been waiting for over two months now. The beast looks at home against the surroundings.
Last but not the least the wait is killing me!
Thanks Motorhead, waiting really is an issue. Make some frequent trips to the dealer, try to speak to the top management brass, tell them you have your Aniversery coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
Awesome pics of Duster and the bird. I was all smiles seeing the beautiful pictures. I bought a new Duster. Happy to note Duster is taking hair pin bends in 2nd gear and it could run without trouble from 4AM to 12 midnight. I agree with the wind noise. But the music masks it. Btw, have you tried the car bluetooth for phone ? In my case, the other parties hear their own voice when I put them on the car speaker.
Quote:
I reported the issue in TBHP as soon as I bought the car and called my wife Renault service tried to replace the HU but the same exact problem. The root cause is that there is a good 1-2 sec audio lag in the HU. If you play a video from your cellphone you can make out the lag. Especially if you are seeing cricket watch out when the ball hits willow and when you hear the sound of the same.
Idofsuresh, Suchit23, All through out the trip I used the BT and attended all calls. Everything was crystal clear. Never did a caller complain about any echo.
But if there is one, where are you guys keeping the phone? I guess the mic of the phone is interfering with the mic of the BT.
I keep mine below the hand brake.
Try to reduce the caller voice sound and check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shomshree View Post
If I'm not wrong, there is a flipped Indica @ background.
Thats a Tata Nano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Lovely pics Himadri! The colour of the duster matches perfectly with the misty surroundings.
Any other bird sighting from this trip? do post your log and pics from the trip.
No bird pics, the trip was washed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantarangerover View Post
Great pictures and writeup!! And I guess it is fair to say that brown hasn't looked this good on any vehicle as far as I can remember. The duster, notwithstanding its name, is definitely one of the suvs to consider for the Indian buyer today. Now if Renault can get it to be more renault than dacia by refreshing the interior quality in the ext iteration, there would be many more buyers and it will become a proper 'hit' to establish the brand in good stead. Wishing you many more happy miles ahead!!!
Thanks Wantarangerover

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Awesome photos. Duster looks smashing.
BTW, that road looks heavenly.

How iss the clutch? Not hard I hope.

Cheers!
The Clutch is a bit stiff to be honest.
himadrimondal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 15:29   #47
BHPian

Himardimondal,
Amazing pictures and a very good write up as well.
I took a test drive of the 110 Duster and was smitten by the drive. I absolutely love it. In fact, I took a second test drive today too.

I have a couple questions for you,

1. I found the build quality to be quite good, contrary to many others on the forum.
2. Does your car have any rattles/ creaks/ squeaks? I hate a car that makes sounds in the interior.

The first test drive car I drove, has around 6k odd kms on the odo, and there were a couple faint noises here and there. But, since that was a TD vehicle and it is constantly being thrashed by the drivers, I wasn't complaining. How is your experience with the vehicle so far in terms of build quality?
Old 10th October 2012, 20:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post

Feeling after the ordeal: fabulous in one word, driping wet in swet, I felt to be a proud owner of a Duster.
That sums up your ownership review.

I feel the Duster makes you or rather seduces you to go for those long drives in the blink of an eye, drives which you think twice or thrice before starting out in our Desi SUVs( no offence intended). The fact that you can drive for hours on end and still feel fresh as a daisy does inspire a lot of confidence.
My only crib(as you will be now aware) is that Renault is charging us relatively higher than anywhere else in the world for what they are giving.I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too.
Old 10th October 2012, 22:32   #49
Team-BHP Support

Please, either a travelogue, if not, post more pictures. The pictures with the Duster appear just so very good. Can't wait to see more
Old 11th October 2012, 01:22   #50
BHPian

I have spare infinity components, JBL amp and a JBL sub. Thinking of putting them in the Duster.

- Does the front speaker hit the leg while driving ? From your picture it appears like the speakers are a little too projected.
- I could not clearly get where the tweeters for the front components are placed. It is near the A-pillar on the dash ?
- Did you consider placing the amp in the boot, is it not feasible ? Somehow I don't like to place the amps under the seat.
- Would the head unit allow to use 2 channels for sub and 2 channels for front 2 components ?

Thanks!

Last edited by idofsuresh : 11th October 2012 at 01:29.
Old 12th October 2012, 07:43   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Himardimondal,
Amazing pictures and a very good write up as well.
I took a test drive of the 110 Duster and was smitten by the drive. I absolutely love it. In fact, I took a second test drive today too.

I have a couple questions for you,

1. I found the build quality to be quite good, contrary to many others on the forum.
2. Does your car have any rattles/ creaks/ squeaks? I hate a car that makes sounds in the interior.

The first test drive car I drove, has around 6k odd kms on the odo, and there were a couple faint noises here and there. But, since that was a TD vehicle and it is constantly being thrashed by the drivers, I wasn't complaining. How is your experience with the vehicle so far in terms of build quality?
I too find the interiors presentable enough, atleast better than the conventional Indian SUV's.
The car has no rattles/ creaks/ squeaks. After going through some horrible roads, sometimes 30-40kms at a stretch, the car is yet to develop any.
Go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
That sums up your ownership review.

I feel the Duster makes you or rather seduces you to go for those long drives in the blink of an eye, drives which you think twice or thrice before starting out in our Desi SUVs( no offence intended). The fact that you can drive for hours on end and still feel fresh as a daisy does inspire a lot of confidence.
My only crib(as you will be now aware) is that Renault is charging us relatively higher than anywhere else in the world for what they are giving.I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too.
Thanks Neil, I too have an issue with the price which is actually steep by 75k to 1L(honest confession)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Please, either a travelogue, if not, post more pictures. The pictures with the Duster appear just so very good. Can't wait to see more
Will try to do Sir. Hope you will like these for the time being.

Courtship with the Renault Duster RxZ-dsc_0022.jpg

Courtship with the Renault Duster RxZ-dsc_0035.jpg

Will try and upload a video too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idofsuresh View Post
I have spare infinity components, JBL amp and a JBL sub. Thinking of putting them in the Duster.

- Does the front speaker hit the leg while driving ? From your picture it appears like the speakers are a little too projected.
- I could not clearly get where the tweeters for the front components are placed. It is near the A-pillar on the dash ?
- Did you consider placing the amp in the boot, is it not feasible ? Somehow I don't like to place the amps under the seat.
- Would the head unit allow to use 2 channels for sub and 2 channels for front 2 components ?

Thanks!
Idofsuresh, the front speakers don't interfere with the leg placement. the oprginal speakers were 5.5 inches but there was enough space for the 6 inches to fit in.
I just made the case fit outside, thought it would enhance the looks.

Yes, the tweeters were placed near the A-pillars but a bit towards the wind screen.

Placing the amps in the boot is not an option for me. (That's not me in the frame though)

Courtship with the Renault Duster RxZ-dsc_0030.jpg

The HU will allow two cross overs, RCA cables will take it to the amps.
You have to attach the sub from the amps, as far my limited knowledge says.
For a 4 channel amp, two channel goes to the two components, the other two goes to the rear speakers and sub too. ( I don't have the sub).

Last edited by himadrimondal : 12th October 2012 at 07:45. Reason: Added one more line.
himadrimondal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 09:05   #52
BHPian

Bluetooth Connectivity:
I was using the Blackberry which connected to the car BT like a dream.
Phone book got downloaded instantly, call list showed names.
Audio quality was fantastic.

Then came the Samsung Note 2, connecting it to the car BT is a problem.
The pairing is fine, can receive/make calls but the phone-book doesn't show.

'NONE' is whats displayed is the Dialed and Received menu, no names or numbers are displayed.

The only way to understand a call is look at the phone and see the caller's name.
Same goes for outgoing, calls can be made only if one remembers the number or dial from the phone directly.

Browsed the net day in and day out but could not find a proper solution.
Today morning while re-pairing once again
I removed my gmail/google which was sync to my phone contacts.

With the gmail account removed from the phone, the pairing was fine as usual.
"Downloading phone data" was displayed on the car BT and bang.

There came the Phone book and dialed/received list.
Re-sync the gmail account, sync the contacts and switched on my car once again to see the phonebook.

Time after time, the phone book got downloaded and everything seems fine now. A big relief now.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 22:14   #53

Quote:
Off Topic: There is a nice tilt + shift effect on that picture. Love it !
bull8e is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 15:17   #54
BHPian

Thanks bull8e for the comments.

Updating the thread after a long time, regret the absence.

A video showing parts of my trip to Sikkim and the roads the Duster has been through.

Not much about the car in these, may like the scenic environment

and here

Latest updates about the car:

1. No niggles as off yet even though the car was subjected to bad/rough roads. Car crossing 5k mark.
2. No irritating sound from the doors, cabin feels tight and compact.
3. The car engine feels smoother and more responsive.
4. Upgraded OEM seat covers, will come with pics soon.
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:08   #55
BHPian

Quote:
...A video showing parts of my trip to Sikkim and the roads the Duster has been through...
Hey Boss! Those are some awesome videos!

And you ventured into pure 4X4 territory, what with those typical slush-filled border area cart-tracks and Army Stallion trucks for company!

Did you have any apprehensive moments out there - especially at night in that nightmare of a "road" in your 4X2 Duster? Any point when you were almost in the muck with the rear wheels just spinning away helplessly?

I would have probably used a Gypsy with the front wheel hubs locked and at least in 4H in some of those stretches as they appear in the videos!

Detailed comments would be welcome!

Last edited by Rigid Rotor : 2nd November 2012 at 23:21.
Old 3rd November 2012, 07:51   #56
Team-BHP Support

Hi!

I am back from Sikkim as well and wish to know as to where did you encounter these roads?

It is a necessity to have a vehicle with good GC in those parts.
Old 3rd November 2012, 10:00   #57
BHPian

Quote:

And you ventured into pure 4X4 territory, what with those typical slush-filled border area cart-tracks and Army Stallion trucks for company!
Agree 100%. Absolutely fabulous videos! I am getting tremendous inspiration to take my Duster to places where I never thought I would. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Old 8th November 2012, 16:57   #58
BHPian

Quote:

Did you have any apprehensive moments out there - especially at night in that nightmare of a "road" in your 4X2 Duster? Any point when you were almost in the muck with the rear wheels just spinning away helplessly?

I would have probably used a Gypsy with the front wheel hubs locked and at least in 4H in some of those stretches as they appear in the videos!

Detailed comments would be welcome!
Hi Rigid Rotor. Thanks for the comments and time.
Not sure if its a "pure 4X4 territory" but the Duster(front wheel drive) with its amazing road handling capabilities
did not give me any tensed moments except one.
But I have a hunch feeling, with rear wheel drive, the wheels would have spun helplessly.
I would still regret if they launch the 4x4 soon, that would have been a real peace of mind.

There was one incident while coming back that scared me for life.
At 4.30 in the morning we left the place only to come and get stuck at this landslide prone place.
Reason, 3 boulders about 2-3ft in length lay on the middle of the road, right of which, the road has already caved in.

On my left, was a huge pile of loose gravel (accumulated overnight due to land slides) waiting to slide down on to the road.
With no way to go but over the rocks, ordered my two friends to get out and remove them, it was still raining and Duster was standing on loose gravel.
Both of them got down, tried to move one rock, looked at me and nodded.

I opened my(driver) side door (thinking I go to gym, do dead lifts, with the help of other two it will be an easy task), got down and we
all three tried to move the rock. IT DID NOT MOVE EVEN AN INCH.

Dejected, concerned, tensed in heavy rain and darkness, I decided to take the Duster over these.
With the guidance from my friends in front, got over the rocks one by one, an ordeal that seemed to be never ending.
At one moment, I had just about a foot on my right, beyond that was a steep fall.

I never got so tensed with loose gravel and slush the way it happened here.
At all times during this drama, stones and rocks were rolling past from the top,
what if a landslides starts now and I being swept across the road to heaven.
The long wheel base was a concern but the Duster sailed through with flying colours.
Wonder if my shirt was dripping wet with rain or sweat.
I regret not to have shot a video of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Hi!
I am back from Sikkim as well and wish to know as to where did you encounter these roads?
It is a necessity to have a vehicle with good GC in those parts.
Hello Sheel, thanks for the comments and time.

Yes, high GC is a must for the areas I visit. Visualize a road, narrow enough to make one car pass.
With gravel, stones and undulations, the track where the wheels will run is much lower than the center of the road.
The only way is to take the car through the center, a low GC car will have its middle portion (differential) scraped.
This holds true for Tavera, Bolero and cars with similar GC.

This is western Sikkim to a spot not much frequented by many. A landslide
prone area, I have been going there for the past 3 years, 3-4 time a year.
Planning to hold a birding workshop in march after which will post a detailed travelogue.

Quote:
Agree 100%. Absolutely fabulous videos! I am getting tremendous inspiration to take my Duster to places where I never thought I would. Thanks a lot for sharing.
Ya Suchit, thanks for the time and comments too, take the Duster where ever you like,
the underneath is built like a tank but don't scrape the exterior (read doors and fenders).
This is the only regret I have, the sheet metal given is so thin!

Last edited by himadrimondal : 8th November 2012 at 17:20.
Old 12th November 2012, 00:47   #59
BHPian

Hi Himadri Da

I have been silently following your fabulous ownership report since the day it was posted. Awesome writing and fabulous pics & videos. I own a White RXL 85, and needed your guidance in upgrading the ICE. I have a budget of around 12K and i went window shopping in Thane today. One of the guys showed me JBL 5 in. component speakers and suggested an amp for it as well. He quoted 5.5 K for a pair of speakers and 4.5 K for the Amp. Wiring and fitting was reasonable. Now the queries are:

1. Is 5 in. OK or should i go for 6 in. speakers. The guy was not sure whether 6 in. would fit in or not?
2. Is replacing only 2 speakers enough or should i go for all 4?
3. If only 2, which one's (front or rear)?

Any other info that you feel could be helpful to me. I am quite a novice in this filed.

Thanks.

Rohit
Old 12th November 2012, 12:59   #60
BHPian

Hello Engrohit, happy to know of your White Duster.
Must say, white looks fabulous, tremendous road presence.
How many heads have you been turning lately?

I doubt if 5 inches would fit in the speaker case provided, would fall short.
Ask the shop to fit a 5 inch and see how the speaker sits.
5.5 inches is fine, 6 inches would be fine too.

Mine is 6 inches, made this adjustment as shown below.

If your budget is 12k, what is the amp you are getting?
Is it a 2 channel or a 4 channel? Try to get a 4 channel at least.

The OEM speakers are same, all four of them.
If you are replacing the front two, you would want to replace the rear ones later.
You can replace the front two for now and later upgrade the rear ones.

Note down the model numbers of the speakers and amps the shops are showing.
Use the phone camera. Go to a few more shops to verify the price.
Discuss at lengths with the mechanics about how they are going to do the job. Then go for the best deal.
You can refer to this ownership report's previous pages for details about my ICE upgrade.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 12th November 2012 at 13:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks