Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2013, 10:58   #91
BHPian

Re: Courtship with the Renault Duster RxZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I was never tensed about solving the so called rattles in the Duster, since I did a PHD solving real rattles in the Safari's.
Hehe, this is classic, Himadri! Thanks a lot for your thread, its definitely my favorite duster thread on this forum so far
crazydave is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 18:47   #92
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are absolutely correct boss. Infact I should have done that during the speaker upgrades.
Very useful thing. The doors close with a thud! And surely they feel heavier.

However if you put right damping material, the price may shoot up. In fact it can be higher than speaker pricing itself !
(Even if I assume you good top of the line components for the front!)
Old 4th April 2013, 17:10   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Hehe, this is classic, Himadri! Thanks a lot for your thread, its definitely my favorite duster thread on this forum so far
Thanks Crazydave
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
However if you put right damping material, the price may shoot up.
It actually is, something like 'Roadkill', well we have so many of them here on TBHP. I might actually get these from Delhi this summer.
Old 4th April 2013, 17:13   #94
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It actually is, something like 'Roadkill', well we have so many of them here on TBHP. I might actually get these from Delhi this summer.
I can vouch for it because I have it installed in mine! Works like a charm. No rattles on the doors; they feel heavy. Noise isolation marginally improves.
And I am past 10K. I got it installed right after purchase.

Last edited by ampere : 4th April 2013 at 17:29.
Old 24th April 2013, 21:29   #95
BHPian

Interesting thing happened on trips to Yercaud and Coimbatore. The Stock music system would work fine for 10 minutes
and shut down. I had to start again the same by pressing the power button. There was no power output to phone charger
and GPS! At Coimbatore contacted Mr. Krishnan the service manager as I did not want to take chance with power systems.
He was very helpful and got the Duster examined through Mr. Anthony their expert technician. After running the diagnostics
the problem was identified as a 15amps fuse was blown and probably one of the chargers was the culprit! He also applied
a software patch to the Stock system and said that I had to get some problem fixed on the wiring done installation of
the front speakers by Whitefield Renaults though it is minor....

One wonders if after 2K check up it is only 10k check, how does one manage the intermediary patches like the one I
got done? Any idea if one should keep assorted fuses as inventory and where does one buy them? I tried getting a couple
of spare but was told out of stock.

Cheers
Old 24th April 2013, 23:02   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravee_nk View Post
One wonders if after 2K check up it is only 10k check, how does one manage the intermediary patches like the one I
got done? Any idea if one should keep assorted fuses as inventory and where does one buy them? I tried getting a couple
- The S/W patch I think is with respect to improvement in FM reception.
- It may be as trivial as you go to the service centre some day and get it done in about an hour. It has nothing to do with service.
- But I dont know about the wiring part.

May I ask, what was the charger which you used? Anything specific about it? Or a short in it caused the fuse to blow?

Last edited by ampere : 24th April 2013 at 23:03.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 00:01   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea if one should keep assorted fuses as inventory and where does one buy them? I tried getting a couple

Cheers
Aren't the spare fuses already there in fuse box? Both my cars have spare fuses as well as a fuse plier to pull out the fuses in the fuse box.

The manual will have the fuse box location and mapping on what each fuse is for. In the fuse box you will dummy slots where spare fuses will be kept along with a small plastic plucker to pull out the fuse.

I have had to change the fuse on my Figo once and went back to the dealer to replace the spare fuse. Did not want to drive with no spare fuses. The dealer was a little perplexed that a customer had already changed a fuse and just wanted to replace the spare. He said I cannot open a job card for just part as we don't give parts over the counter. I need to open a running repair job card and add fuse replacement + labour into the bill. Finally the GM said, please give the fuse and remember to add it in the service bill next time to the SA.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 16:36   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea if one should keep assorted fuses as inventory and where does one buy them? I tried getting a couple
of spare but was told out of stock.Cheers
Even if you don't have any spare ones, try to use a one which does not power a essential component.
Like your wiper should have a fuse, which may not be required until rains. You can use that as a substitute to a damaged one.
Just make sure the amps are the same to the one replaced.
Carrying a set of extra fuses though is always beneficial.

Quote:
May I ask, what was the charger which you used? Anything specific about it? Or a short in it caused the fuse to blow?
Absolutely correct Amp, I too thinkt it was the charger. Using the usb port seems much safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I have had to change the fuse on my Figo once and went back to the dealer to replace the spare fuse. Did not want to drive with no spare fuses. The dealer was a little perplexed that a customer had already changed a fuse and just wanted to replace the spare. He said I cannot open a job card for just part as we don't give parts over the counter. I need to open a running repair job card and add fuse replacement + labour into the bill. Finally the GM said, please give the fuse and remember to add it in the service bill next time to the SA.
You have discovered a bug in their software/poilcy, can't bill a fuse without a job card.
himadrimondal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 22:53   #99
BHPian

Quote:

- It may be as trivial as you go to the service centre some day and get it done in about an hour. It has nothing to do with service.
- But I dont know about the wiring part.

Thanks!

The charger was an original Nokia charger or at least that was what the technician said. Strangely the same charger is working fine.
Then another set of combo charger which I brought from abroad (has both USB and single jack) is not charging my Map my India
GPS. Now I have to figure out if the issue is with the charger or the charge point or with the GSP.

On the wiring, I am going to re-check with Trident Renault as they fitted the front speakers.

Cheers

Quote:
Even if you don't have any spare ones, try to use a one which does not power a essential component.
Like your wiper should have a fuse, which may not be required until rains. You can use that as a substitute to a damaged one.
Just make sure the amps are the same to the one replaced.
Carrying a set of extra fuses though is always beneficial.

Absolutely correct Amp, I too thinkt it was the charger. Using the usb port seems much safer.

You have discovered a bug in their software/poilcy, can't bill a fuse without a job card.
Thanks, that's a neat idea to use something which I don't need immediately. I will try with Bangalore
Renault to get the spare I used up this time and hope I have better luck.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Aren't the spare fuses already there in fuse box? Both my cars have spare fuses as well as a fuse plier to pull out the fuses in the fuse box.

The manual will have the fuse box location and mapping on what each fuse is for. In the fuse box you will dummy slots where spare fuses will be kept along with a small plastic plucker to pull out the fuse.

A dumb question. How do you figure out it is the fuse which is the cause of failure/problems? Yes I had experienced in past too but always needed the help
of the mechanic to decipher the cause :(

Yes there are some spare fuses. I wanted to replace the one which was used up this time. Don't want to clean up the spares totally.

Cheers

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th April 2013 at 02:18. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 08:04   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks!

The charger was an original Nokia charger or at least that was what the technician said. Strangely the same charger is working fine.
Then another set of combo charger which I brought from abroad (has both USB and single jack) is not charging my Map my India
GPS.
- I use a Belkin charger which converts the power source to a USB. I charge the phone through the USB
- For GPS, I have a Garmin which came with an adapter; that charges straight through the power socket to a mini USB slot on the device.
- Its been working fine till now. (Have used it across multiple cars)
- Also I don't use the power sockets quite often. During long drives only the GPS is plugged. Phones I rarely charge unless its extremely critical.

Last edited by ampere : 26th April 2013 at 08:07.
Old 26th April 2013, 09:04   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No bug in the software, but it is in the policy. Ford is already an expert in that, and may be others too.
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:05   #102
BHPian

Its being a long time since the last update.
One year ownership up with the Duster, 30th July, 2013 the second year of ownership started.

Experience so far: Absolutely fantastic.
No niggles currently yet, car has travelled 20,000kms.

Engine performance: As mentioned earlier, I shifted to synthetic oil after 15000kms.
The thud that used to occur at every engine crank is not there any more.
Depress the clutch everytime I start the car.
The car gives a steady 15kms/l with mixed city and highway drive, haven't reset it for quiet some time.

Aesthetics:
Air filter is changed every 5000kms.
Tyre rotation done at 19000kms, though there was negligible wear and tear.

My doors closes with the required thud, not a single squeak from any of the doors.
The car is soundless even on uneven roads.
Bluetooth connectivity is spot on, audio quality is fantastic.
Absolutely no complains.

Insurance Renewal: My previous insurance as offered from the showroom was from Bharti Axa. It was daylight robbery paying 42k as the first premium but then mine had to be the first car in the entire North east, so no controversies.

The car insurance renewal was post my wife's operation where ICICI Lombard health Insurance dept. gave me a smooth claim of 1,40,000 plus without any hassles.

After I had mentioned them about my car insurance renewal, they came up with a premium quote of 21200/-, comprehensive policy.
My current IDV stands at 10,000,00/- and covers damage to vehicle due to both natural and man-made calamities.
Bharti later gave me a quote of 38,000 for the same comprehensive policy.

Next came the pollution check, I did not like a single bit of this test.
They raced my car to 6k on the rpm and I hated every bit of it.
Personally I have never crossed 3k on the rpm while driving, just prayed the synthetic oil saved my engine.
Did this at 17000kms, the first one.

Upgrades: Yes, a steel skid plate to guard the intercooler..

Details of the Kolkata-Delhi trip coming up, all of 1465kms in a day
En route Delhi
Courtship with the Renault Duster RxZ-duster-enroute-delhi.jpg

Last edited by himadrimondal : 22nd August 2013 at 13:07.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:50   #103
BHPian

Quote:
One year ownership up with the Duster, 30th July, 2013 the second year of ownership started.

Upgrades: Yes, a steel skid plate to guard the intercooler.
Details of the Kolkata-Delhi trip coming up, all of 1465kms in a day
En route Delhi
Congrats Himadri, wish you thousands more niggle-free kms! Im sure a lot of people like me are expectantly waiting to know more details about your skid plate! Also look forward to reading your TL for Kolkata-Delhi too
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:00   #104
BHPian

Quote:

Engine performance: As mentioned earlier, I shifted to synthetic oil after 15000kms.
The thud that used to occur at every engine crank is not there any more.
Depress the clutch everytime I start the car.
The car gives a steady 15kms/l with mixed city and highway drive, haven't reset it for quiet some time.

Aesthetics:
Air filter is changed every 5000kms.
Tyre rotation done at 19000kms, though there was negligible wear and tear.

My doors closes with the required thud, not a single squeak from any of the doors.
The car is soundless even on uneven roads

Next came the pollution check, I did not like a single bit of this test.
They raced my car to 6k on the rpm and I hated every bit of it.
Personally I have never crossed 3k on the rpm while driving, just prayed the synthetic oil saved my engine.
Did this at 17000kms, the first one.

Upgrades: Yes, a steel skid plate to guard the intercooler..
First of all congrats! May I follow up with a few Qs please?

1. Would you then recommend a switch to synthetic oil, much earlier, say 6K?
2. Air filter change, any reco on Brand? Is 5k too conservative if v little off roading is involved? What would be the reco if driving is largely highways and in city?
3. Did you modify the doors in anyway? The thud sound is something I do miss.
4. Pollution check, aren't new cars exempted for 1 year, no? Are there any standards on testing?

I think you got a good deal on insurance renewal. Your skid plate design and looks, simply awesome! I will be looking
out in Bangalore if any Duster identifies a source here.

Once again congrats!

Cheers
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:03   #105
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
3. Did you modify the doors in anyway? The thud sound is something I do miss.
Get the doors damped on both the inner and outer linings. They will close with a thud.

Quote:
4. Pollution check, aren't new cars exempted for 1 year, no? Are there any standards on testing?
+1.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed