Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 19:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Quanto : Driven

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
The Ertiga failed to impress because of its small car dynamics and the used, reused and recycled parts bin shared across all the cars manufactured under the Maruti-Suzuki brand label.
Good review! It's just that I'm surprised at the veracity of this statement. I can understand if the Ertiga failed to impress you. Of course, to each his own. Just showing a couple of stats that stand completely contrary to that statement.

Ertiga was launched on the 12th of April and within the first week, the booking crossed 10,000. In a period of 2 months, the bookings crossed 40,000. Mind you, these are bookings with a waiting list of 6 months or more.

I also would like to show you the month on month performance of the Ertiga.

May 2012: 6802*
June 2012: 5400*
July 2012: 7091*
August 2012: 6643*
September 2012: 7116*

*Source: Team-BHP

September's figure is higher than the last 5 months (including April). A car's success is generally decided by this rule of thumb, the consistent MoM performance. Not only that, the Ertiga has managed to trump the undisputed leader in the MPV segment for 2 months in a row! This MPV was unshakeable for the last 7 years! Small reason, that manufacturer has come out with "special" editions of its MPV. Also, the Ertiga has featured in the Top 20 MoM list for all the months that includes cars from all segments (hatchbacks, sedans, MPVs et al).

You say it failed to impress due to it's small car dynamics. This is the quote from our very own Team-BHP review:"Car-like ride, handling & driving experience. Effortless to drive in the city and on highways". I have extensively driven it on both the city and highway and it never has once given the top-heavy feel or the jittery ride as some of its competitors.

If you don't like the interiors of the Ertiga, well, good for you. This is a subjective decision. But the majority that have voted with their pockets (including me) see nothing wrong with using common parts as long as its in good taste. Heck even the Quanto has rummaged the Xylo parts bin for its interiors. This is my opinion but it seems like I share the public opinion too! If that's gonna keep costs down, why not?

If it's your subjective decision to disagree with all that I've mentioned, fine by me. It's just that your statement sounded more like a public opinion and I thought I should clarify that. It's a mere presentation of facts, so no offence mate!

Last edited by swiftdiesel : 8th October 2012 at 19:36.
Old 9th October 2012, 10:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Superb! Very nice and detailed review.
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssk3g5 View Post
Great review, apart from the details I would expect few more details for vehicles to allow purchasers to make the right decision.

1. Is it family safe vehicle as after all interiors and exteriors, it depends if a full family sitting inside can be safe in event of accident.

2. The tall boy probably might not have been necessary, but I think Mahindra engineers were more looking at how to chop it down below 4 meters for more sales than thinking if the vehicle should be reduced in size too.
3. The only thing that might really go against this vehicle is the taxi segment which will jump on it, beating the sumo sales probably, not sure if quanto will cannibalize the xylo sales numbers
1) It rides safe enough and comes with essential safety features. Your question can be answered only after completing the NCAP or equivalent tests.
2) This might have been done to keep costs down with parts sharing.
3) A high volume in the Taxi segment is unlikely as the operation as a 7 seater in the segment is difficult with the given dimensions and as there are more economical cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleve View Post
I believe the review has more positive points to it then the vehicle/ contraption itself and so great work there. Personal opinion, a perfect example of how not to design a car. Obviously, this will fit right in with some of the other odd shapes we see everyday on our roads; Mahindra has used this to it's advantage and so I think no one will notice the difference. Weirdly enough the only advantage is that it's manufactured in this day and age so everyone will have an opportunity to buy this new contraption (for those who get it).
Thank you. The market is the best judge as you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Good review! It's just that I'm surprised at the veracity of this statement. I can understand if the Ertiga failed to impress you. Of course, to each his own. Just showing a couple of stats that stand completely contrary to that statement.

Ertiga was launched on the 12th of April and within the first week, the booking crossed 10,000. In a period of 2 months, the bookings crossed 40,000. Mind you, these are bookings with a waiting list of 6 months or more.

I also would like to show you the month on month performance of the Ertiga.

May 2012: 6802*
June 2012: 5400*
July 2012: 7091*
August 2012: 6643*
September 2012: 7116*

*Source: Team-BHP

September's figure is higher than the last 5 months (including April). A car's success is generally decided by this rule of thumb, the consistent MoM performance. Not only that, the Ertiga has managed to trump the undisputed leader in the MPV segment for 2 months in a row! This MPV was unshakeable for the last 7 years! Small reason, that manufacturer has come out with "special" editions of its MPV. Also, the Ertiga has featured in the Top 20 MoM list for all the months that includes cars from all segments (hatchbacks, sedans, MPVs et al).

You say it failed to impress due to it's small car dynamics. This is the quote from our very own Team-BHP review:"Car-like ride, handling & driving experience. Effortless to drive in the city and on highways". I have extensively driven it on both the city and highway and it never has once given the top-heavy feel or the jittery ride as some of its competitors.

If you don't like the interiors of the Ertiga, well, good for you. This is a subjective decision. But the majority that have voted with their pockets (including me) see nothing wrong with using common parts as long as its in good taste. Heck even the Quanto has rummaged the Xylo parts bin for its interiors. This is my opinion but it seems like I share the public opinion too! If that's gonna keep costs down, why not?

If it's your subjective decision to disagree with all that I've mentioned, fine by me. It's just that your statement sounded more like a public opinion and I thought I should clarify that. It's a mere presentation of facts, so no offence mate!
Thank you for pointing out.
If you read that quoted sentence once again, I was pointing towards 'small' car dynamics. The Ertiga rides exactly in the same fashion as the new gen Swift. We had a G13 Swift, and right now sitting in the garage are an SX4 DDIS and Ertiga DDIS and all these 3 have a lot in common in the interior. The Ertiga is the latest addition to the garage and is the 7th Suzuki bought by us. So, my point is, all these cars appear more or less the same from the inside because of the parts sharing which is a bit too much. And success is no surprise. Given the stellar image of the DDIS engine, Its going to sell like hot cakes even if you fit it to a horse carriage and give four power windows! So, my point is, there is nothing new to impress with the Ertiga other than the extra 2 seats.
sharanvenu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 16:43   #33
BHPian

Amazing review! Well written, covering most of the aspects that one would want to be reviewed. Good job Sharanvenu!

I would be most definitely be interested in the city dynamics of the car. A sub-4m vehicle would lead us to think about a crisper turning radius. How much of corner cutting did you have to do in the city?

All UV's bear scant resemblance to their use on Indian roads. An SUV is the same as an MUV or an MPV or an ATV for that matter. You know, sometimes I get an SUV feel in my Nano! What feel does the Quanto give?

A twin TC Diesel seems fancy. As an engine man myself, I always question the use of multiple components. What about the noise - does she 'purr' or does she 'grunt'?

Does M&M give us an option of not having the 3rd row seats and leaving it empty?

Yeah, someday, I want to own it.
Old 9th October 2012, 23:30   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post

Not only that, the Ertiga has managed to trump the undisputed leader in the MPV segment for 2 months in a row! This MPV was unshakeable for the last 7 years!
Not sure how you came up with the statement of Ertiga being the leader in the MPV segment . I would agree if it had bent the sales charts of the innova/Xylo.

I would say it created a segment of its own , Ertiga is nothing but a Swift with 2 extra seats (3rd row).

My family owns a Ertiga , it best suited us not as an MPV but as a good alternative to a Sedan .

If we were to look at the MPV there is no doubt but to look at a Innova.
Old 9th October 2012, 23:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Not sure how you came up with the statement of Ertiga being the leader in the MPV segment . I would agree if it had bent the sales charts of the innova/Xylo.
Well, this is how:

http://http://www.team-bhp.com/forum...-analysis.html

Old 9th October 2012, 23:44   #36
BHPian

Please wait for few months and make a constructive statement .The innova sells around an average 5 k units and Xylo around 2k units (past 1 year analysis).The 7k units of Ertiga were they innova /Xylo customers , i doubt so .

I agree Ertiga has value but not as a MPV , it is definitely a good alternative to a C class sedan.
Old 9th October 2012, 23:51   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Please wait for few months and make a constructive statement .The innova sells around an average 5 k units and Xylo around 2k units (past 1 year analysis).The 7k units of Ertiga were they innova /Xylo customers , i doubt so .

I agree Ertiga has value but not as a MPV , it is definitely a good alternative to a C class sedan.
No where in my post did I mention that those 7k figures are Innova/Xylo customers. In fact if you took time to read my post carefully, I've never mentioned any other MPV in the market. Speculation or a fact, the truth is those numbers. There is no point making a 1 year analysis as the Ertiga is nowhere in the equation of your 1 year analysis. I'm merely stating facts and there is nothing misleading about it.

Well, to each his own. Yes, a good alternative to a C class sedan in your opinion. I never mentioned it's a good alternative to an Innova or a Xylo. Figures don't represent your opinion or my opinion unfortunately! I will not discuss this any further.
Old 10th October 2012, 16:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
If you read that quoted sentence once again, I was pointing towards 'small' car dynamics. The Ertiga rides exactly in the same fashion as the new gen Swift. We had a G13 Swift, and right now sitting in the garage are an SX4 DDIS and Ertiga DDIS and all these 3 have a lot in common in the interior. The Ertiga is the latest addition to the garage and is the 7th Suzuki bought by us. So, my point is, all these cars appear more or less the same from the inside because of the parts sharing which is a bit too much. And success is no surprise.
No offense Sharanvenu, but you say Maruti has shared a lot of parts across Siwft, dzire and the ertiga. Well hasn't Mahindra done the same with Quanto and Xylo. Moreover, even if there is part sharing between Swift and Ertiga, how does it matter if the end result is better than what is available in the Quanto. In my opinion it then is a good thing that they brought forward a Premium hatch's interior design and quality to a Utility Vehicle, where as Mahindra has just not been able to match it. For reference here is a quote from the official review

Quote:
If you've been in a Xylo, you'll be right at home with the Quanto. Interior design, quality and space are identical. Thankfully, the Xylo's cheap wood finish has been removed from the Quanto. The chosen interior colour is fairly neutral and will keep a majority of its owners happy. I found the seat's yellow upholstery to be very gawdy though. The interior shades aren't too light and thus, won't be difficult to keep clean. Interior quality is basic, yet liveable for the most part. Part quality is a notch above the Xylo of 2008. I found the interiors to be just about acceptable at this price point. Although if you look closely, you'll find some rough edges, ill-fitted parts and uneven panel gaps. Don't even think of comparing the interior quality to that of the Dzire or i20. Mahindra has learned a lot over the years and is 80% there. It's the final 20% that is the most uphill, it seems.

Well about the ride, I think that is what every one tries to achieve with a Compact UV bring the ride and handling as close as possible to a hatch or a Sedan. Somewhere in between. But Quanto rides and handles just like a huge boat would, despite its compact dimensions and doesn't excel in ride comfort either. Dont you think it would have benefited if they had tried to achieve a result closer to the compromise or follow the Tata principle of getting an absolute Plush ride.

Last edited by vibbs : 10th October 2012 at 16:52.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2012, 13:40   #39
BHPian

Rating it well deserved 5 stars.
The review is crisp and to the point with enriching details and well put up.
It would definitely lend a helping hand to prospective buyers of quanto.
It seems Mahindra is certainly improving upon many aspects.
It's great to see Indian automakers still making rugged vehicles at such costs which would cater to rural and urban public alike.
Nevertheless,
Quanto has its own flavor and road presence.
Hope Mahindra improves upon handling too which would work wonder for this otherwise practical car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks