Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:40   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bought a pre-owned VW Passat 1.8L TSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by punitkakri View Post
Good thought, also dual-fuel cars don't always work too well. My friend got CNG fitted into his NHC. However once this was done the car didnt perform well at all on petrol and got stalled multiple times. However the same runs well on CNG
Since it was the previous-gen City, I'm assuming it was one the old kits - the close- or open-loop type, which were a problem with Honda cars and especially that City model.

The new sequential kits are a different ball game. See FrankMehta's Civic CNG thread in ownership reports. Works like a charm. It also explains why Honda sells a company-authorized City CNG currently.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

What an immaculate car at a great price. Congratulations...

This 1.8TSI with the 6 speed MT is one heck of a combination. Ask me, I am enjoying it every day in my Superb. Keep revving and updating.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:49   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghammarad View Post
That is an amazing buy. Good luck with the new car, looks like you got an awesome deal and I hope you enjoy the vehicle for years to come

And regarding the car stalling on petrol - How do you mean Punit?
So when the CNG ran out, when he switched over to petrol the car would stall?
And do you know where he got his CNG work done?
I ask because I am, as I mentioned in another thread, considering setting up CNG in my Civic for cheaper drives and also to further enhance my possible distance covered in long distance driving. (Horribly structured sentence but I hope it holds up to scrutiny)

Anyways, once again, congrats on the beauty
Yes precisely when the CNG ran out and he switched to petrol, the car usually gave him jerks and stalled. He said the problem was aggravated when he didnt use petrol for long time continuously (15 days at a go).

Understood the sentence so worry not. I will check with him where he got the CNG kit done from.

Thanks for the kind words
Old 22nd January 2013, 18:55   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
That essentially brings us to fundamental questions
1. Are petrol or diesel engines designed to run on CNG.
2. What are the implications even if we get CNG from Factory i.e Maruti Cars with CNG. Do they have any changes done to engine etc.
3. Whatever be the case, long term effects with CNG usage, wear and tear specially in case of Petrol engines. I'm assuming here that CNG was primarily recommended as Diesel substitute, for public transport to reduce pollution.

All said and done still feel best refined engines are petrol ones and no substitute for that.

Cheers
MKP
While not really technically equipped to handle this question i would say that there are definitely engine changes and a noticeable performance lag is there when compared to petrol or diesel engines. I agree that CNG was primarily bought into effect to reduce pollution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Since it was the previous-gen City, I'm assuming it was one the old kits - the close- or open-loop type, which were a problem with Honda cars and especially that City model.

The new sequential kits are a different ball game. See FrankMehta's Civic CNG thread in ownership reports. Works like a charm. It also explains why Honda sells a company-authorized City CNG currently.
Yes it was an open loop type kit. In fact i believe now there is a CNG model available in Altis too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
What an immaculate car at a great price. Congratulations...

This 1.8TSI with the 6 speed MT is one heck of a combination. Ask me, I am enjoying it every day in my Superb. Keep revving and updating.
Thanks a ton. Well i love the feel of the engine and can totally enjoying it.
Old 22nd January 2013, 20:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The 7 speed is offered on the Superb with exactly the same engine. But VW offered the Passat petrol only with an M/T. In fact I think they switched to Tsi and MT after there were a lot of problems with the DSGs they had earlier.
>>>

Surprised that they used the 7 speed DSG which I remember were to be mated to lighter engines, in VW technical literature. I will try to dig out the reference material.

Regards
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:45   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Surprised that they used the 7 speed DSG which I remember were to be mated to lighter engines, in VW technical literature. I will try to dig out the reference material.

Regards
Well the 7 Speed DSG was also used with the 2.0 diesel engines in the Passat and Superb. I believe it is also in use in the current gen Passat.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:24   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well the 7 Speed DSG was also used with the 2.0 diesel engines in the Passat and Superb. I believe it is also in use in the current gen Passat.
Incorrect. The Diesel Passat and Superb use a 6 speed DSG box which is completely different compared to the 7 speed found in the Superb Petrol TSi.

The Superb Petrol Tsi uses a 7 speed dry clutch whereas the diesel has a wet clutch.

The 7 speed DSG is designed for smaller engines that have a max torque output of 250Nm which is exactly what the 1.8Tsi output is.

The Passat in India was launched initially with a diesel engine featuring Pump duse technology and 6 speed DSG. Later on they upgraded the engine to CRDi and also introduced the Tsi engine but only with a 6 speed manual. The Passat TSi never had a DSG box in India.
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2013, 11:11   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Incorrect. The Diesel Passat and Superb use a 6 speed DSG box which is completely different compared to the 7 speed found in the Superb Petrol TSi.

The Superb Petrol Tsi uses a 7 speed dry clutch whereas the diesel has a wet clutch.

The 7 speed DSG is designed for smaller engines that have a max torque output of 250Nm which is exactly what the 1.8Tsi output is.

The Passat in India was launched initially with a diesel engine featuring Pump duse technology and 6 speed DSG. Later on they upgraded the engine to CRDi and also introduced the Tsi engine but only with a 6 speed manual. The Passat TSi never had a DSG box in India.
Thanks for correcting me. I was under the wrong impression.
Old 25th January 2013, 08:45   #39
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Just getting my Passat insurance renewed. I have a choice between
  • Tata AIG - 26K for comprehensive insurance
  • HDFC Ergo - 26K for comprehensive insurance
  • Bajaj Allianz - 25 K for comprehensive
the policy features are all the same.

Any preference out of the three based on past experience?

Last edited by punitkakri : 25th January 2013 at 09:03.
Old 25th January 2013, 09:34   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,
Just getting my Passat insurance renewed. I have a choice between[*]Tata AIG - 26K for comprehensive insurance[*]HDFC Ergo - 26K for comprehensive insurance[*]Bajaj Allianz - 25 K for comprehensivethe policy features are all the same.

Any preference out of the three based on past experience?
Hello punit,

Congratulations on the passat! Looks as good as new!

As for the insurance bit, Bajaj allianz has the most tie-ups for cashless claim facility. You might also want to try Royal Sundaram which is significantly cheap when compared to the rest. At the same time, do ensure that your dealer has a tie-up with these RS guys.

As an example, Bajaj and the likes were quoting around 29-31k for the renewal of a zero dep insurance for a year old vento (owned by a colleague). The same was being offered by RS for less than 17k. The main reason why this got rejected? VW in navi Mumbai has no tie-up with the RS guys. And there are plenty of folks here on T-Bhp as well, who are doing well with their rides insured by RS. Good luck!

Mind PMing the details of the dealer you bought the car from? Might as well, get it added to the T-bhp directory as well if, the buying experience was really good

Last edited by MetalBuff : 25th January 2013 at 09:37.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 17:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Hello punit,

Congratulations on the passat! Looks as good as new!

As for the insurance bit, Bajaj allianz has the most tie-ups for cashless claim facility. You might also want to try Royal Sundaram which is significantly cheap when compared to the rest. At the same time, do ensure that your dealer has a tie-up with these RS guys.

As an example, Bajaj and the likes were quoting around 29-31k for the renewal of a zero dep insurance for a year old vento (owned by a colleague). The same was being offered by RS for less than 17k. The main reason why this got rejected? VW in navi Mumbai has no tie-up with the RS guys. And there are plenty of folks here on T-Bhp as well, who are doing well with their rides insured by RS. Good luck!

Mind PMing the details of the dealer you bought the car from? Might as well, get it added to the T-bhp directory as well if, the buying experience was really good
Thanks for the kind words on the car.

Finalized Bajaj Allianz for comprehensive insurance for Rs. 21544/-. Heard a lot of troublesome stories about Royal Sundaram so stayed away. Bajaj Allianz was fairly quick in the sense they arranged for inspection today itself and have provided me a PDF receipt. They are trying to get me the policy copy today itself. However i realistically expect it on Monday.
Old 25th January 2013, 17:51   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words on the car.
Finalized Bajaj Allianz for comprehensive insurance for Rs. 21544/-. Heard a lot of troublesome stories about Royal Sundaram so stayed away. Bajaj Allianz was fairly quick in the sense they arranged for inspection today itself and have provided me a PDF receipt. They are trying to get me the policy copy today itself. However i realistically expect it on Monday.

Is that a Zero Dep cover that you went for considering, it's a < 3 year old vehicle?

Bajaj Allianz is really quick when it comes to all this. No wonder, they are the favourites when it comes to automotive insurance. But, their prices are really plummeting over the roof. In your case, they seem to be almost at par, though.

Royal Sundaram's horror stories!! Ah, well in that case, I need to read up more as, I was really impressed by their enthusiasm to come up on to with dirt-cheap premiums. But, not everything can be as good as it sounds.

So, in short, taking a hard copy of the PDF should be good and so, there's virtually nothing now which should deter you from taking your silver beauty for a joy ride . All set?

-Shivang Gandotra

Last edited by MetalBuff : 25th January 2013 at 18:01.
MetalBuff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 20:12   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalBuff View Post
Is that a Zero Dep cover that you went for considering, it's a < 3 year old vehicle?

Bajaj Allianz is really quick when it comes to all this. No wonder, they are the favourites when it comes to automotive insurance. But, their prices are really plummeting over the roof. In your case, they seem to be almost at par, though.

Royal Sundaram's horror stories!! Ah, well in that case, I need to read up more as, I was really impressed by their enthusiasm to come up on to with dirt-cheap premiums. But, not everything can be as good as it sounds.

So, in short, taking a hard copy of the PDF should be good and so, there's virtually nothing now which should deter you from taking your silver beauty for a joy ride . All set?

-Shivang Gandotra
All set. In fact just received the PDf of the complete policy by Bajaj Allianz. Pleasantly surprised by this. Good job. End to end in a day including inspection.
Old 27th July 2013, 23:07   #44
Team-BHP Support

I have been running a Passt TSI over the past few days. It actually feels a lot lighter than my Jetta although the Jetta is more tactile in response. One reason is that I have a heavier engine at the front end

Extremely smooth engine and gearshift. It is a bit floaty at speed (my example has done 36000km). A fairly pleasant car. Wife likes the bum warmers. I actually find the car easier to place in traffic, maybe since the seat positioning is much higher.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2014, 13:37   #45
bhp
BHPian

I have just got myself a similar car just a couple of days back.

It is NOV 2010 model run only 11k kms. In love with it.

Some pictures :-
Attached Thumbnails
Bought a pre-owned VW Passat 1.8L TSI-photo-1.jpg  

Bought a pre-owned VW Passat 1.8L TSI-photo-2.jpg  

Bought a pre-owned VW Passat 1.8L TSI-photo-3.jpg  

Bought a pre-owned VW Passat 1.8L TSI-photo-4.jpg  

bhp is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks