Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 14:45   #1
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT

Teaser pic:

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5356.jpg

Initial Consideration:

It all started, when I was hunting the market for an AT option for my parents. I have been waiting for a long time to choose a car for my Dad/Mom and was looking for something which is easier to drive, at the same time fuel efficient and totally worth the money. This car was not going to be heavy commuter and hence the petrol AT option was the best.

It all started, when I was hunting the market for a car option for my parents. I have been waiting for a long time to choose a car for my Dad/Mom and was looking for something which is easier to drive, at the same time fuel efficient and totally worth the money. This car is not going to be heavy commuter and hence the petrol AT option was the best.

Options considered:
• A star AT(In discussion only)
• Hyundai i10 AT
• Brio AT (to be launched on 18th Oct.)

I was in the US and there is no way that I was able to test drive any of these cars and hence everything was based on the reviews/feedback/scoop's/pricing leaks from Team-BHP and members. Being a faithful team-bhp member , anyone can guess my "reliable source" here staying away from India.

Timelines:

Start of October:

Conversation between Dad and Me:

Dad: I think we need to buy a car now, so that we can make trips to our native place and also travel around the city
Me: Ok, what kind of car do you like?
Dad: A Maruti sounds good, How about the new Estillo/WagonR?
Me: Ok, Let me suggest you getting an AT Car, have you looked at i10/Astar?
Dad: Astar looks like a frog; i10 looks good, I like it.
Me: How about Honda Brio? (I was talking about MT at that time)
Dad: I haven’t seen that many brio’s around, something must be wrong with the car. I see many i10’s being driven. Must be a reliable car.
Me: (Laughing) Do you know when was Hyundai i10 launched and Brio launched? Explained it to him and the reason they are/could be so less in number.
Me: Ok let me try to contacting someone in the Hyundai showroom closer to our place.

Contacted the Hyundai showroom; sent emails but no reply. Timing(time zone) of me being in the west screwed up everything to get hold of anyone. In the meantime, Honda Brio AT news started making waves. Scoop pics from @RavenAvi were posted on the forum; excellent first hand reviews sold me to this car. Anshuman’s review was fantastic and I knew I am putting my eggs in a basket which has Honda’s reliability.

I was going to be in India for a short period of time and had to make a decision; Asked my Mom and Dad to go pay a visit to the showroom at Solitaire Honda, Borivali(w). Was treated really well by the SP and he explained all the features to my Mom and Dad, there was no AT car at that time and launch was also a week away. He was insisting them to buy a SMT version as it had discounts going on. But me being the behind the scenes counselor, it was dropped. Had a brief chat with him the same night and found out, he stays in an adjoining apartment in our complex. (Trust factor: +1). At that time no information on the AT was released except posts on T-BHP and pricing of 70K+ higher than the MT version.

SP was insisting that you should pay up the amount of 50K so that we are assured with an AT car and early delivery (also be the first AT customer of the showroom). However due to some issues we got delayed and lost the Urban Titanium V AT( the original opted color) to someone in the management who booked it before us. The next UT would have been a week away for delivery. I am not sure how cars are allotted to dealers but I assume car manufacturer's do have an estimate of popular colors, and build cars based on that.

Mom said silver looks good as well, eventually it was them who were going to use the car and we went ahead with all formalities of paying up for the car.
Fraz33r is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 14:55   #2
BHPian

re: Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT

Fast Forward: 29th I reach India, I go to meet the SP; Most of the formalities are finalized, I check the display AT car and see all the features and accessory list and their exorbitant prices. Come back to my reliable source (read: team-bhp), post a comment and get replies on the extent whether Anti-rust is required option.

Was debating about it for some time and decided to opt for it.

Browsing around my area of residence, found the 3M car care like a stone’s throw away from my place; Found a huge difference between the dealer’s quote and 3M quote, decided to go for it later after the delivery.

Was also looking for seat covers and accessories: (More on that later).

Delivery Day and delays:

The Andheri RTO had an issue. According to the SP, the automated system needs to update their database with the new models being launched. As this was an AT model they never had this option before and hence got delayed in generating the number for the car. Also local news showed there was an incident at the testing RTO grounds, wherein a learning driver using a driving school car ran over a bystander causing death of the poor innocent guy. Apparently the person who was getting the test done hit the accelerator instead of the brake and ran over him.

I was wondering how could this happen; I hoped that the test “if conducted” should have happened in a cordoned of place where no jay walkers are allowed.

Anyways, back to the topic I was supposed to receive the car on the 1st morning but was given a time of 5:30 -6. I was not going to accept the delivery of the car during evening and hence postponed it on the next day.

Also according to mom, it was “Sankashti Chaturthi” and was an auspicious day so nothing could go possibly go wrong (and nothing did). So we went up the next day, the Staff at solitaire was ready, finished up the initial briefing and everything went fine. We had to carry cash for the accessory fitments we selected. However the SP gave it to us for “free”.

We had carried all the pooja stuff with us, which we hardly used, since they had almost everything, from Haar to Diya thali (I was not expecting that). Finished up the pooja and took the delivery of the car. Gave gift to SP, sweets to the others and went home.

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5348.jpg

Initial Driving Experience:

Some might find this amusing, but this is a fact: (You can consider that the human being writing this post has woke up after years of being in Coma)
I had previously driven car here in India 6 years ago, and now I was about to take the delivery of a brand new car in Mumbai traffic. This is my general observation and hence caused me worries about driving after such a long gap. You either see brand new cars on the road or cars with dents/scratches and as if the car is like 10 years old. There were no intermediate cars I could see on the road with no visual defects on them. The way people drive here has changed a lot, plus the human speed breaker (with a hand stop sign) is just an amazing spectacle to watch on the road even when there is a green signal for you to proceed. *Rant Over*

I did not want to scratch my car the first day and hence was skeptical about driving in this traffic. However, took the delivery hit the first petrol bunk and reached home safely. Relieved a sigh of relief, will get more confident as days pass of my stay.

I used the wiper stalk more than twice, thinking that it is the Turn signal with the RHD.

Made a mess of the garland that was attached to the wipers on my way back swinging it on the wind shield and provided some free amusement to fellow bikers.
Fraz33r is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th November 2012, 15:13   #3
BHPian

First Impression: Gem of an engine; I haven’t seen the other cars hence this is just 1:1 comparo between my Honda civic (US 2004). The car seemed eager to be pushed hard. Did not experiment too much but on 60kmph car was super silent. Driving was a breeze especially on the concrete stretches. The Eco Light was ON most of the time while driving in the city limits around 40-50kmph mark.

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5501.jpg

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5502.jpg

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5499.jpg

Compare to the competitor from top view

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5363.jpg

Specific Points noted after delivery:

• The car is super small from the outside huge from the inside; Honda has really studied/implemented to maximize space inside.
• Love the turning radius (maybe because I drive a sedan in US), was able to make a complete turn on a narrow road, using the R only once.
• Steering wheel (I am in love with it). Gives a very nice, rich feel and has super grip; I would love to drive this car with one hand all the time.

• Chunky steering for a small car exudes quality. Precise maneurability, was able to make a U turn at T junction without any issues.( Like +1)
• Huge and spacious inside; Passenger can relax and stretch with a lot of space.
• Doors shut with a nice thud; this is the first time I observed it in a Honda.

Dislikes:
• I hate those integrated head restraints: Looks like a huge mountain to me. Do I need it? Yes. Do I need it to be flexible and adjustable? Sure I do. Maybe I am asking too much out of it for a hatch and the current market where cost cutting is evident everywhere.
• This has been mentioned umpteen times on this forum. Lack of a seat height adjust. I am 5’9 and find it fine, but a car that goes north of 7 lakhs should have that as a feature in the top most model.
• Those integrated restraints make it very uncomfortable while reversing. I am used to the traditional reversing “methodology” by putting the left hand on the passenger seat and looking back to see where the car turns and oncoming traffic from left and right.
• No matter how slowly I try to close the rear glass hatch; it tries to slam itself with a huge thud. I have seen the sales person slamming the glass door left and right abusing the display cars.
• Number plate by the dealer..Really? (His phone number on the number plate )

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5503.jpg

Neutral points:

• Audio is kaam-chalau. Works as any Standard fitment. FM had few issues with signal; again the vintage antenna wasn’t extended, could be that issue. USB works fine as designed.
• Surprisingly, Lack of dead pedal was not an issue to me at all. Again did not go on any long drive yet, but was fine w/o it. However saw footmarks all over the place inside the dead pedal area; Beige is going to be a pain to maintain.
• Rear is not going to win any awards. Car looks great to me from the Front only.
• The area where the rear door ends and the car ends are very small. I was still skeptical about the safety in terms of the passenger seats. What happens if someone gets side swiped by a huge car? I don’t know what will be its consequence.
• The Hood does not close cleanly. My Honda in US has smooth latching operation with a sight push. Here it needs to be slammed hard to put it down in the latch. Not sure if that is good or bad. Has anyone else observed this?

Pricing and Details:

MRP: 5,65,143
VAT : 70,642
Logistic + Insurance + RoadTax : 86,881
OTR: 722486

Accessory fitment installed (to be installed) :

• Went to 3M Car Care for Anti-rust coating on link road Borivali(w). Took the 5 year anti-rust with warranty. Had a good experience there. Rekha at 3M explained all the options they have, and what would be great for a new car. Wasn't interested in anything other than Anti-rust, hence did not pay much attention to other facilities offered.
• After 2 hours the car was ready, washed, cleaned and the work completed was shown by lifting the car.
• Next in Queue is the Car-seat. Dealer had quoted a car seat cover of 5.5K for leather which was just tied to the seats. Decided to opt for aftermarket car seats. I found someone who had rated an accessory shop in Borivali(W) , will discuss with him later this week. Will keep this thread updated with modifications made.
• I am also looking for an arm rest for the AT; I find it really useful, but if the budget shoots high will drop it.

Thanks to @sgiitk;@anshuman ,members of the forum for all the brio details and questions answered and ultimately Team-Bhp and members for being my source away from home.

P.S. Haven’t really driven that extensively on the highway hence cannot comment on the performance at high speeds. A short trip is planned and that will give a clearer picture on the FE( not much concerned right now) and NVH levels.

Not sure if the SP details should be discussed in here; if anyone is interested, I can provide you one. Had a good experience with him keeping me updated on the car right from the initial briefing to delivery.

I will keep this thread updated as long as I am driving it.

Last edited by Fraz33r : 6th November 2012 at 15:22. Reason: Lost attachments..
Fraz33r is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th November 2012, 10:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 8th November 2012, 10:24   #5
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT

Congrats on your purchase mate! The Brio's engine will surely make you fall in love with the car. Its been five months since I welcomed a Brio home and she sure has grown on me. The AT one is great for the city. Congrats again and drive safe.
Old 8th November 2012, 10:30   #6
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase and thank you for the review. Incidentally reading when I was stuck in mumbai traffic. Had almost made up my mind on the Brio AT when I knew it would be launched, but the back has me concerned over safety as well.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:02   #7
BHPian

Congrats on a great purchase! Silver looks good on Brio. You have very nicely described the reason for going for an AT car. Moreover, Brio is a good choice as it is a better option for both city and highway usage (due to its 5 speed AT box) as compared to the other options available in the segment which are 4 speed AT boxes.
Old 12th November 2012, 09:34   #8
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. Brio is a sure head turner and with an AT box it gives you the much needed peace of mind. I'm sure your parents will love driving it. Don't go by the silent engine too much it can purr whenever you need it to.

Believe me if driven correctly, it can give the 2 million plus cars a run for the money.

How did your dad find it?
Old 12th November 2012, 10:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

@Frazz33r

Congratulation on the cutie. Brio AT make a more sensible buy amongst the existing AT options and esp in the choc o bloc Mumbai traffic.

Since the seats have an integrated headrest, I guess you will have to live with them. Surprising that you still paid for the Logistics charges, Should have been borne by the dealer himself. If you had done the Insurance from outside you would still saved some more $$$.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely. Too early to ask but "kitna deti hai"
Old 13th November 2012, 09:54   #10
BHPian

Congrats on your new purchase. An AT hatch is the most practical car for chaotic traffic in the metros. The Brio looks great in Silver.

Two questions :

1) Can you share your driving experience in D and D3 mode. Any differences ?

2) Is there a difference in fuel consumption when driven in D3 when compared to D mode.
Old 16th November 2012, 00:43   #11
BHPian

Thanks everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
How did your dad find it?
Dad is still in the training mode with the P,D3,D modes. He will get used to it and thank me in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Two questions :
1) Can you share your driving experience in D and D3 mode. Any differences ?
2) Is there a difference in fuel consumption when driven in D3 when compared to D mode.
Update and "Kitna deti hai" feedback

Accessories Installed:
Seat covers Installed: Cost 8500; Looks wise are awesome, but beige means more effort to keep it clean. Does anyone know who uses a car-seat cleaner? Any specific brands suggested?

Space maximum inside a brio:

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-dsc00931.jpg

Final Product:

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-dsc00937.jpg

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-dsc00939.jpg

Other Updates :( Again compared to my Civic US version) could be minor issues, but expected by me.
• No (illuminated) lights in either of the controls i.e. Gear knob, Adjustable RVM’s or the steering controls. Have to rely on the display in the HUD for the gear chosen.
• No lights in the driver area, only lights are in the top center.
• Personally I found it dark (as in lack of lights in the interior) to operate the car in the night for the first time. Not a huge issue as there is lot of light by street illumination.However if you are in remote area’s make sure you find everything and then shut the center light.

Crunched some km on the Brio by taking it to Ganpati Pule: (852 km now)

Mumbai Traffic + Peace of Mind? Here comes the Honda Brio V AT-img_5724.jpg

Route used: Mumbai-NH17-Sangameshwar-GanpatiPule: Capacity 4+Kid.

This was my first experience driving on NH-17 or rather any highway in India.
• On flat road the car is just awesome; Super silent 1.2 L engine; Road noise very minimum, I liked the NVH levels that have been maintained by Honda.
• Ghat section drive-ability: Amazing. The way car turns and handles itself is really good. Had fun using the chunky steering to make turns.
• Road was not so good in Raigad, but was awesome as we neared Chiplun and further. I did not feel much bounciness or suspension issues.
• Rear seat passengers found it normal. My niece slept for like 3-4 hr stretches with no issues including pot-holed ghat sections.
• There is not even a single rattle after this whole trip. I had bounced the car up and down on a couple of rumble strips which gave us a surprise visit on the highway. I had a feeling that my windshield glass will probably rip out because of those rumble strips.

Other rants and Highway manners:
• Did not push the car beyond 90 kmph. In fact you don’t even get a chance to do that with the single lane highway (at least for me).
• Again super smooth engine. Used D3 Extensively in the Kashedi and other Ghats, and found that it gives better control while turning/climbing and descent.
• Used D later on all the stretches except the ghats.
• Was not at all comfortable driving on a single lane highway trying to overtake behemoths compared to my hatchback. I feel that it takes much more effort to overtake/Judge while overtaking other cars/trucks with an AT car.
• I did not complete any overtakes, unless I had a clear vision as to what is next on the other lane. I did see other vehicles going around other trucks even when there were blind spots ahead.
• Had to floor the acc pedal to complete overtakes; was not at all happy flooring the pedals just to complete the “overtake” and then go ahead and slowdown in my own lane.
• IMHO, Flooring the pedal is not a good tactic to drive an AT car, but is unavoidable if driving needs to be done on a single lane Hwy. Let me know anyone else having any similar driving experiences with an AT car.

The NH17 for a national highway needs to be at least a two lane road so that it does not cause congestion.

Overall Feedback:
Personally, I feel AT car is a boon for Mumbai traffic and city driving, but you will have to be patient with the car, if you want to take the car mile crunching on a highway.

Finally the "Kitna deti hai" question:
I did reset my trip meter and it showed me varying levels of kmpl for the whole trip.
From Mumbai to Ganpati pule it displayed a 16.7kmpl ; Once the trip was complete it gave me 15.5kmpl.

Tank Full to Tank Full Method:
It gave me 13.9 approx. 14Kmpl on highway with 4+kid and AC on 90% of time except for the ghats.

I don't trust either the scale of measurement from the Petrol bunks or the trip meter to give me an exact number but so far is in my expected ballpark for highway drive.
Fraz33r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 14:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Excellent choice for a new car and I am glad you chose a automatic. It is about time all cars come with this option even at basic trim level. This car will be easy for your folks to drive too.

Very nice report on the car.
Old 16th November 2012, 14:12   #13
BANNED

@Fraz33r; On a winding hill road you should be mostly in D3 - reason is that you have engine braking. Also, you will not cook the brakes on a long descent. Your experience just bears this out. In any case the transmission will not be shifting into 4 or 5 so no economy loss!
Old 26th November 2012, 22:13   #14
BHPian

Am in the market for an AT Hatchback for the longest time. Was very excited about the brio at. But somehow my excitement fizzled out when it was launched. called up justdial to ask the number of linkway honda and they sent my details to other honda dealers as well. Solitaire called up this morning, I think Prasanth. We did end up talking about your car Fraz3r., not sure if he was the SA you dealt with.
Anyho, current situation is no test drive vehicle avaiable anywhere in Mumbai and no vehicles available for delivery as well until Jan '13. I read elsewhere on team-bhp.com that similar is the situation in Chennai. Did Honda underestimate the demand for the Brio AT and imported less AT gearboxes?
Did sit inside the Manual variant. It felt roomy for the driver but not for anyone sitting on the back seat. The i10 comparatively feels roomy all over. also notice no head support for backseater even in the V variant, while i10 has it even in the Sportz variant. A-Star has it aswell, so from a back seaters perspective Brio looses out.
Kitna deti hain Brio wins hand down, followed by A-Star.
fun to drive again Brio wins, I have no idea which would come in second. but not sure i'll get a chance to have fun.

Last edited by kmadhok : 26th November 2012 at 22:15. Reason: making myself clear
Old 26th November 2012, 22:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

congrats fraz33r. wonderful choice. The best AT money can buy in the compact car space (although looking at all the space inside the Brio it defies the "compact" tag!)

Love the color you've chosen. Wish you a long and wonderful association with your Brio.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks