Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 12:25   #1
BHPian

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family

Flashback to 2002: Mahindra is all Set to launch a New Generation 'Car', with an Engine Developed Jointly with AVL Austria. Price about 9 Lakhs, this 'car' is going to be the Size of an SUV, would Have aggressive Looks, Would ofcourse be a Closed Body Vehicle with A/c, Power Steering etc which was the 'in' Thing Then and that too from a Reliable Indian Manufacturer. November 2002, We decided to Sell the Omni which was about 8 years old and was turning out to be an unreliable Companion, with the vehicle Stalling once spitting out a green Liquid, Stalling a Second time Making my Posterior Literally 'Hot' and then a Third Time with a chocked Carb. In came the Sparkling Shiny Scorpio 2.6 DX and it was a proud Moment for all of us, as every time we Zipped past, we got those envious Stares. ofcourse then i used to be a Fan of Pre-owned cars, which gave me the choice changing cars every Year, without losing too much Money. In short this was meant to be the family car. ofcourse it had its share of Niggles and the Transmission sump, the A/c Vents, a Few Switches etc were changed under warranty! Not to mention the awful Brakes which tuned my reflexes to such an extent that if i had to stop a Kilometer away, the mind would signals to the feet to press on the brakes from a Kilometer away

As newer Cars joined me, the Scorpio was used by my dad and in its existence of 10 years, was used for his city running commutes and as on 15th November 2012 the Total reading on the Odo was 34854, and the Scorp was still on its Original Shoes, Bridgestones the manufacturing date which read 3502! in between the Scorp had been suffering from Certain terminal Illnesses, like a Broken Camshaft, a Broken Connecting Rod, Switchgear that did something which it was not supposed to do namely, Put on the Indicators and the wipers come on, Put on the Wipers and the Hazard lights come on, The Temperature sensor not working, Press Horn and headlight Comes on, as well as Corrosion and leaking water. Lately, the Diesel Fumes were also quite strong inside the cabin and dad did not intend to be in the Position of a Chicken in a tandoor and Asked me to Look out for a Buyer for the Scorpio. This instruction was on 15.11.2012 at 7.am. he did not want a New car as most of the time he travels with me to office and his daily commute is about 3-4 Kms when he travels to Church. at the same time he didnt want the Japs or the Koreans as he always prefers something very solid! He didnt mind a petrol since his annual running would be less than 8000 Kms. Other things that i was looking for in a car for dad were:

•Sturdy built quality
•Ride quality
•Interior fit and finish
•Trouble free engine
•Stability at high speeds
•Good brakes
•Air Bags
•Good looks
•upmarket feel without a lot of Bling!

So did i Consider any other Cars ? If Not Why ?: The Answer is No! To Be honest, the Change from a Scorpio, which had a robust build had to be another car with a Sturdy Feel, and at the same time had a premium Feel to It. The Interiors had to be Well Screwed and needed to have an upmarket feel.
The Maruti's and Hyundai's were out of the List, on account of their 'Metal' and the Ones that were left in the Fray were Figo, Polo, Chevy's. Figo and Chevy Lost out on account of my previous experiences with their dealers and i didnt want a Polo since i would have to appoint a watchman to guard the monograms!

8 a.m. i go through the used car sites, as well as Olx and Quiker, but find that used petrols are all more than 4 years old, or are being sold at a premium. Then an Idea Struck Me. Why not a Skoda Fabia Petrol ? Immediately called up My friend, the Manager at TAFE-Mangalore and asked him if he had any Customer who wanted to trade in a Fabia for any other Skoda Vehicle, and that the Trade in fabia should be in a decent Condition, and not a Model Older than 2010.

He got into his Trademark methodical approach with Clinical precision, refreshed his grey cells and Told me ' Yes there is a Fabia Elegance 1.2', Dont know if the customer still has it, ' He wanted to trade it in for a Rapid', 'its about 4 Months now', 'let me Enquire and get Back' and within 15 Minutes he gives me a call saying The Fabia is Still There, The Customer Expects 4.5 to 4.8, its Run 15K Kms and is in good Condition. imemdiately i Bite the bullet and inform him to request the customer to get the car for inspection. In the meantime call up a used car dealer friend of mine and inform him about the scorpio, who immaterial to its age related issues, offers a price thats Hard to resist!

I Have the cash, take a Cheque leaf and go to the dealership. after a Long wait the Hatch arrives and on a cursary glance find it to be in a good shape. Do a Small testd rive and find the Mechanicals in order. Come back to the Showroom and negotiate with the Seller. Date: 15.11.2012 time 6.00 pm, Cash Paid, Cheque issued, both in favour of the dealer who would be treating this amount as a Booking advance for the Sellers Next Skoda! To Sum up a Deal completed in a day and the Fastest one that TAFE had ever seen, so much so that the COO of The Amalgamations Group to which TAFE Belongs was Shocked when this was mentioned to him!

Take Delivery, tank up and did a 20 Km Drive and find that the 1.2 mpi is quite a silent Motor. At Stops i actually felt the Engine had stalled, but before cranking, my eyes glanced to the tacho which was showing 900 revs!

Now for the Pictures:

The Side Cut!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0013-1024x768.jpg

The Rear!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0014-1024x768.jpg

The Other Side!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0015-1024x768.jpg

The Nose!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0016-1024x768.jpg

The Seats! made of Faux Leather!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0017-1024x768.jpg

Neat and Clean! Appreciate the Maintenance done by the Previous owner

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0018-1024x768.jpg

The ODO

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0019-1024x768.jpg

The Radio + CD Player : decent Sound

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0021-1024x768.jpg

The Central Console! Very rarely I have come across a 'Clean' Car

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0022-1024x768.jpg

The Door Pads! Spick and Span! and He hasnt done any Interior cleaning!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0023-1024x768.jpg

The Cabin Lights with the Theatrical Dimming effect!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0024-1024x768.jpg

The Illuminated controls at Night! not the Amber from the Old Benq and Alcatel Mobiles, not the eerie blue display which hurts the eye, not the bright red display of its cousins which again i felt hurt the eye, but as most doctors would explain, a pleasant green!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0067.jpgA pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0068.jpg

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0069.jpgA pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0070.jpg

as soon as i Got the delivery, the First job on hand was to remove the Vinyl Lamination done on to the floor as i am a strong advocate of Not Doing this Full Floor Matting for reasons Detailed in a Separate thread dedicated to Full Floor Matting. Removed the Full Floor Matting and the Floor Now Feels Fresh!

the waxoyl technicians Scrubbed the Hot Hatch and giving her a Shine and removing all the accumulated road grime, Bird droppings and tree Sap which had made the surfaces a Bit rough, though it was not visible to the Naked eye. Now the Fabia Looks FAB! and the age doesnt show on Her.

The Next visit was to the A.S.S who have to look into a minor case of a few missing screws, a Faulty Driver Side power Window Motor (which will be replaced under warranty), and a Rattling High Mounted Third stop Lamp!

The Third Visit was to Wheel Care, who dried the Wheels and filled in Nitrogen. Further they noticed a Potential Puncture, wherein a nail of about an Inch had got itself lodged in the Rubber. The Nail was removed, a permanent Puncture patch fixed and wheel Balanced.

Now coming to the Initital Driving Impressions:

The Heart:: Powered by a 55 BHP 1.2 Litre MPI Petrol Engine, The Vehicle is Zippy and the engine seems to have a sense of urgency to rush ahead. The City drive is smooth and peppy. The 3 Pot Engine does its job fairly well zipping on the city roads, and is very responsive. Fire the engine up and after the initial Start-up Sound, the engine is pretty silent. Climbing up hills is not a daunting Task either. Keep your Fingers crossed for the Kitna Dethi Hai Pictures at the bottom of this Post! Dad infact during his first learning drive, kept asking me at every signal if the engine was on! Keeping in Mind that he is shifting from a Scorpio, which makes sure you never sleep on the wheel, with the engine drone and the Vibrating Gear Lever.

The Handling and Suspension:
The steering is light, especially at very low speeds unlike the Scorpio.It takes just the little finger's action to swerve the car either side. the Biggest + Point - Doesnt Feel Like a Boat while driven at speeds of around 40-60. Scorpio always made me say my Prayers if i picked up speed. The Suspension does its job well in handling the potholes and even though i Travelled through a pot hole that looked like a crater, there was no metal - road scraping sound. The Tyres seem adequate, and in this car which has run about 15K Kms, there seems to be about 50% Treadwear Left. The Mag Wheels are Neat and Elegant. The 185/60/R15 Apollo Accelere Tyres, are a wee bit noisy and seem to be prone to punctures, as both front tyres have had a nail in their flesh! The ABS makes sure that you do not have any unpleasant surprises. The Brakes are very effective, unlike the 2002 Scorpio where the Vehicle at speeds over 40 used to Drag on and Stop at least 10 Metres Ahead from the Intended stop Point! The drive is smooth, Balanced and the Vehicle feels stable and sturdy unlike its Jap and Korean Counterparts which feel as though they are being tosssed around in a juicer Mixer! Over a bad stretch of roads, the vehicle potters around with just a thud and a thump instead of the clanking and clunking of majority of the hatchbacks. The Fabia also Comes with what is Known as MSR/EBC - Motor Speed Regulation - Engine Braking Control which adds to the effectiveness of the Brakes. The Brakes Dont feel Spongy either and Bite Hard!

The Internals and the works:

The gearshift is Butter Soft and precise. Slotting into the right slot at all times. The A/c Is an absolute chiller, and considering that winter is just setting in in Mangalore, Cools the Cabin within a few minutes and makes it freeze! Ofcourse it is a Climatic and Not a Climatronic! and yes it does have two vents which would keep the feet of the rear passenger cool!

the Radio+ CD quality is average and drives 4 speakers. The Skoda Beat Double Din Player seems Spartan as compared to the Bolero Music System of my Yeti. However it does its job well of Keeping the Occupants Entertained! One thing that is sorely missed is Bluetooth integration and Steering Mounted Controls.

Night drives are a pleasure as the stock headlamps + Fogs do their job well of keeping the road ahead bright! Bottle Holders on the door pads with retaining bands, One Cubby Hole for the rear Seat Passengers at the end of the Central Console, Two Cup Holders at the Centre (Though i doubt they would hold any thing bigger than a cappuccino Cup, A Dual Glovebox and a storage Compartment under the steering wheel! Wow There is quite a Lot of Storage!!

The Interiors seem to be pretty well fitted, without any Nasty surprises when you run your fingers through the dash and the Door Pads. No rough Edges that i have observed and No Uneven Fitments. In fact the vehicle having run 15K Kms, there is still not a single rattle inside. I with horror recall the days when i used to own a swift. A drive through Bad roads and the next visit was to the service Centre for quietening the rattles. In fact, in the first 1000 Kms i had visited the ASC twice to have foam / Sponges inserted in between the window Holders inside the Door and the Body shell around it.

The Seats came with Faux Leather Seats fitted by the Previous Owner. The seats per-se are very comfortable and provide adequate lumbar and thigh Support. The steering is adjustable for rake and reach, and the seat also can be adjusted for height and Lumbar. The Door Pads are in Beige and the fabric Insert near the grab Handle is prone to Getting soiled. (Previous Experience of owning a Vento)!

The Rear Bench is Foldable, and is quite adequate. The rear didn't feel as cramped as i imagined it to be. though the seat does not provide a 60-40 Folding Option, the Entire Seat Back, and the Seat Itself can be folded and flipped forward to redeem precious real estate! Of course the rear Parcel Shelf would have to be removed in this case.

Step Inside the car and you do not get Claustrophobic thanks to the Generous use of Beige on the door Panels, the Central Console, The Seats, the Lower Part of the Dash! The Upper Part of the dash is in Black, with certain parts being textured and having the Soft touch feel. The Upper Glovebox At the Most can hold only a couple of Mobiles. The Lower Glove Box is Illuminated and can hold the User Manual + a Few Knicknacks. The Fit and Finish of the Gloveboxes is Meaty and they do not look as they would give way soon.

There is a AUX in Socket on the Central Console adjacent to the Hand brake Lever. Oh Skoda! Why Couldn't you provide a USB Instead ?

The Chrome Ring around the Gear Lever, Lends an Elegant Look to the Console. The Fabia Elegance Comes with both Desmodronic Foldable Keys, which also have the function of Auto up/ Down the Windows in addition to the Normal Functions of Lock, Unlock and Boot release.

The Doors Lock themselves up after reaching a speed of 15 Kms. Further Using a VCDS/VAS Module the doors can be programmed to Unlock only the Driver Side Door or all 4 doors.

The OVRM's Can be adjusted through a Lever Located on the Door instead of its normal resting place adjacent to the windows. For a first timer, these Levers look like Electric Controls!

The Lock/Unlock Button is located below the Radio/CD Player, near the Gear Lever on the Central Console and is a bit of a Hassle to reach it in certain positions. All the windows have a Auto-Down / Auto Up Function with Anti-Pinch Protection. The IVRM is Anti Glare. The rear Boot is also Illuminated!

The cabin itself has reading lights in the front and at the centre, which have a theatrical Dimming Effect! Elegant!!!

The Exteriors: Elegant, Understated typical European Look, with a Ridged Bonnet, makes it a Good Looker, unlike the outlandish designs of the present Hatches (Personal Opinion). No weird Creases running around the Side Panels, No Awkward Cuts on the Body Panels and No Abrupt endings to the flow! The Sheet Metal is heavy Gauge, though not as heavy as the Bank Locker type Metal in the Punto or the Yeti. Rest Assured that you will not have to visit a Tinker to Push a Panel Out if someone Leans against the car!

The 'Aero-Flat' wipers which previously were seen on Cars like the CIVIC, Laura Etc have found their Way into the Fabia. i have been a Big fan of these Aero Flat Wipers, which give a very special look to whichever Car their fitted on. The Washer Jets are integrated into the Cowl Panel and Dont stick out like a Sore thumb.

The Nose is Pretty Pointed and at times reminds me of an hawk! The Nose IMHO looked Better in the previous Generation Fabia's which had the Vertical Slats on the Bumper.

The Fabia Elegance comes with 4 Alloy + 1 Steel Wheel Configuration. The Mag wheels are not garish, but lend a graceful look to the car.

The 4.9 Meter Turning radius of the Car is quite Decent and There is no requirement of Having a Three Point / Two Point Turn Like in the Punto! The Doors Especially the Front Ones Open really Wide!

The Wheel Wells are Clad with Protective Plastic Covers, though not completely. The ground Clearance of 158 mm or 15.8 Cms is quite good considering that the Linea which is Longer had just 162 mm of Clearance.

The negatives that are not specifically Covered Above:
1. No USB in Slot!
2. Patchy, Spotty and Shady Service Backup, though i have been able to handle them quite well till date
3. The tyres could have had some more rubber as in 195/60/15 ?
4. The Rough Road Package under the Engine seems to be made of Plastic!
5. No rear Speakers!
6. No steering Mounted Radio Controls
7. No rear Wipe/Wash
8. No Seat Belt Indicator on the Instrument Cluster. No Buzzer Either!
9. Strictly a Four Seater as the 5th passenger on the rear bench would have to put up with the protruding Central Console as well as the High Transmission Tunnel.
10. The Black Carpet on the Floor seems of an inferior quality as compared to the Carpet on the Yeti. Also it seems to be a home for quite a few small stones, sand particles etc which cannot be sucked in through a vaccum Cleaner.

The Impression in dads words
" a Perfect car for a person whose use is about 4-5 Kilometers a day. seating is comfortable and the car feels like its built like a tank. a perfect change from the Scorpio which seemed to feel a bit oversized for my city drives. The Interiors feel well fitted and sturdy. Not Much of Bling inside, but the interiors are elegant and look as though they will last for quite some time'

Dad has always been a fan of Rugged people Movers, right from the CJ 500, Maruti Omni, Scorpio and hasnt actually wanted to have cars with special electricals, mechanicals for he always felt that it would be a burden to maintain them. He hasnt been Impressed with the Ford Ikon, Opel Corsa, Tata Sierra, Swift, Maruti SX4 and Vento that i have Owned. Personal dislikes on the Looks i presume. He was very Impressed with the Linea, and the Yeti and now the Skoda Fabia was 'the car'! He found the metals Strong and Heavy, Engine Quiet and Powerful enough for his age and driving Style, and not to forget the small embellishments in the form of Power windows that can be operated with the key, the OE Radio, The Illuminated Glove Box and most importantly the quality of Plastics

(PS: The Jeep and the Omni Didnt have AC, the Scorpio had a non functional Radio for most of its lifetime and a very Noisy Blower which sucked in leaves from outside and sprayed them on the occupants inside!)

The Kitna Dethi hai Part: The Fabia has a Display of L/100Kms. Havent figured out to change it to Km/L. as of now, did a very long drive of 70 odd Kilometres and i was amazed by the mileage it returned! am sure you would be shocked when you see the picture below:

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0066.jpg

The total distance since last full tank!

A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family-img_0065.jpg

Boss this translates to about 17.54 kmpl!! AND THE BEST PART IS THAT THE FUEL GUAGE HASNT GONE DOWN ONE BIT!!!

Skoda A.S.S is going to be cursing me as i write this note, as they caused some confusion for replacement of the power window Motor under warranty, by blaming Skoda India.

After this mail to the Regional Service Manager and to The Every helpful Guys at SAIPL, the Service Centre has been giving me calls as though their behinds have been lit up with Diwali Rockets!

I had visited your workshop today with the Skoda Fabia, wherein a few minor jobs had to be attended to. in the Invoice # MNG02-001371 pertaining to Job card No: 006417 it has been stated that front “Power Window Not working – concern is not resolved as per customer urgency, we delivered vehicle”

I beg to differ with the above statement of your Team, as it was your team which said that since the replacement was under warranty, you would have to update the concern on DISS, then remove the part, Click Pictures, upload them to Skoda, Get approval for replacement , then Replace the Part, Do an Online Diagnostic Test with Skoda for which They didn’t have time or didn’t want to do the Job. on the Other hand I was totally free having taken a day off from Office. Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, S/O the Registered owner called me up and informed me that the he had already brought this concern to your notice almost a month ago and on the basis of the concern and considering that the Vehicle was still under warranty you had gone ahead and ordered for the Part. This was confirmed when the Parts manager and the CRE informed me that the part had arrived. it does seem very strange that the workshop had ordered the part and kept it in stock while most of the necessary items are always out of stock and that too for this particular vehicle

Now I would like to know why the part was not fitted when it was in stock and the concerned persons in the workshop were aware that the part had indeed failed ? why was I given a cock n bull story that approval of Skoda is to be obtained when every other Authorised service centre goes ahead and replaces the part without inconveniencing the Customer and then pursues the warranty with the Manufacturer. In TATA, Maruti, Volkswagen I never had to wait for ‘ approval from Manufacturer’ for replacement. is it a case where Skoda India believes that TAFE ACCESS, which is a reputed arm of the Amalgamations group in not honest in their dealings or is it that TAFE ACCESS, thinks that Skoda Would Not Be Clean and Honest in their dealings ?

I have now fixed the appointment for Tuesday 20.11.2012. I request you to have the vehicle Taken by your authorised Workshop Driver after producing proper credentials, at your Own cost and then delivered back to me by end of day, without once again giving me cock and bull stories about Skoda Not responding to the warranty claim raised, or Skoda Not responding to the DISS Message Sent etc. I would like to state further that I will NOT PAY for the vehicle pick up and drop. further you will have to have the vehicle delivered to me on tuesday and if it has to be taken the next day you will have to reimburse me the petrol costs on the basis of the Odometer readings in case you inform me that Skoda has not responded and you will have to carry forward the work for the next day. Further you will have to reimburse Loss of Income for Me @ 10,000 Per Day if you want me to get the vehicle to the workshop

I am marking this Mail to Mr. Sudhir Rao for information as well as to Mr. Regional Service Manager and Mr. Service Head of TAFE for Information and action.

Attn: Mr. RSM : I do Not know what the Standard Operating procedures for Warranty replacement are, but am sure they are not as complicated as they are made out to be. Request you to use your good offices to get the warranty claim as well as replacement done by end of day Tuesday.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 29th November 2012 at 16:29.
Sunilrj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 12:38   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Brilliant write up. Wish you the best with the Fabia. You have now reinforced my own thought process of upgrading my parents to a Fabia. I ve been toying with this idea for about 5 or 6 months. Let me see now...
Old 16th November 2012, 12:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family

Thanks for the write up , a good read! and more importantly welcome to the club!! I really like the faux leather seats and will do something exactly like that for my car as well when i need to.
Old 16th November 2012, 13:20   #4
Senior - BHPian

The previous owner has surely maintained it well. Its quiet visible on the pictures. The interiors so clean and you say he has not done any interior cleaning .

Congratulations on this wonderful buy, You wouldn't have got a more authentic (In terms of odometer reading) car anywhere in the used car showrooms.
Old 16th November 2012, 13:41   #5
BHPian

Excellent dealing for 2 reasons. And even better was the buying experience!

2 reasons:
1. You seem to have got your hands on a well-maintained Fabia.
2. I own one too, of the same colour.

That's 2 white cars in your stable now, right?

15k on the ODO means it's been just 1 service that's been done so far. Does it have the extended warranty too?
Old 17th November 2012, 12:36   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Brilliant write up. Wish you the best with the Fabia. You have now reinforced my own thought process of upgrading my parents to a Fabia. I ve been toying with this idea for about 5 or 6 months. Let me see now...
Thanks SB! Yes you can go ahead and Upgrade your parents to a Fabia. its a good, safe, stong Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Thanks for the write up , a good read! and more importantly welcome to the club!! I really like the faux leather seats and will do something exactly like that for my car as well when i need to.
Thank you Puchoo! i entered the Skoda Club in August. THis is the Fabia czlub! The Faux leather seats seem to have been done with good workmanship! No Uneven Stitches, rough edges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
The previous owner has surely maintained it well. Its quiet visible on the pictures. The interiors so clean and you say he has not done any interior cleaning .

Congratulations on this wonderful buy, You wouldn't have got a more authentic (In terms of odometer reading) car anywhere in the used car showrooms.
Yes he has maintained it extremely well. Just a Cleanup by the Waxoyl Technicians got it gleaming! I checked the ODO reading through the VCDS on My Laptop to check if it was Authentic. Further i Obtained the Detailed Vehicle service History from the A.S.S. pulled from the SAIPL Central Database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post

Excellent dealing for 2 reasons. And even better was the buying experience!

2 reasons:
1. You seem to have got your hands on a well-maintained Fabia.
2. I own one too, of the same colour.

That's 2 white cars in your stable now, right?

15k on the ODO means it's been just 1 service that's been done so far. Does it have the extended warranty too?
Thank you. Thats two Skoda's in my Stable , a Silver Yeti, a White Fabia and hopefully will be seeing another White / Silver Fabia within the next one month in exchange for Wifey's Alto. The service was done at 13812 Kms, in September 2012. It has extended warranty and Insurance is paid up until September 2013! Lucky Me!
Old 21st November 2012, 06:18   #7
BHPian

Visited the service on 20/11/2012 for the Power window Replacement. On account of my prior interaction with the Chief of service at TAFE and The Area Service Manager of Skoda, the entire job was completed by 3.30! the Car was Picked up from my residence and Dropped Back by the Workshop Driver. The Power window Works Fine Now.

Also Purchased the Skoda Genuine Rubber Floor Mats: Part No: DCC700101, and boy they reek of quality! The previous owner had gone along with the mats offered as freebies, and these OE Mats Fit to a T! Cost 1996/-!!
Old 30th November 2012, 10:07   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: A pre-owned Skoda Fabia joins the family

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 12:32   #9
BHPian

A Quick Update:

The Car was taken into service today at 9.30 am for replacement of the Cover for Additional Brake Light, installation of a Strut Cap and Refixing of the Dead Pedal.

The additional brake light cover was broken by the sun film removers when the sun films were removed by the Previous owner, the Dead pedal Push Button was misplaced thanks to the guys who did the full floor Matting. The order for parts was placed on 25/11 and the parts came in on 03/12.

The service Centre called up last evening to confirm the appointment - a Sea Change from the times they never bothered to call up the customer.

Accordingly the Car was taken in and by 10.30 the Car was ready. Clean Neat Job! 5 Stars to the Service Centre! The total Damage Rs. 404/- Parts + Labour!
Old 4th December 2012, 12:38   #10
BHPian

Great write up sunilrj. You've indeed got yourself a very well maintained Fabia and that too virtually untouched. The engine would have just bedded in now you're going tom make optimum use of the same.

The white faux leather seats suits the car pretty well. Do keep it spick and span and hope she serves you for long.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 13:41   #11
BHPian

Same pinch, shall I say. I too have a Yeti and a Fabia in my garage.

I have managed to extract 19km/l (tank full method) from the puny 1.2 htp, that too with good load. 17+ was a regular affair on long trips.

Enjoy.
fi.robin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 15:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Great write up sunilrj. You've indeed got yourself a very well maintained Fabia and that too virtually untouched. The engine would have just bedded in now you're going tom make optimum use of the same.

The white faux leather seats suits the car pretty well. Do keep it spick and span and hope she serves you for long.
Thank You Arup. Yes the Car has been Well Maintained. The faux leather seats are beige, not white. I have always maintained my cars spic and span! look up my thread on the Yeti Located Here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...koda-yeti.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
Same pinch, shall I say. I too have a Yeti and a Fabia in my garage.

I have managed to extract 19km/l (tank full method) from the puny 1.2 htp, that too with good load. 17+ was a regular affair on long trips.

Enjoy.
Same Pinch Accepted. It always makes sense to have cars from the same manufacturer. simple reasoning behind it: you can expect twice as better service and from the service centres point of view two headaches from one person! Yes the Puny Engine gives a Great Mileage even if you drive with a heavy foot on the pedal!
Old 5th December 2012, 15:38   #13
BHPian

Congrats, and boy!! how do you guys extract so much from that engine?! I am struggling to get above 13/l. Can you put up some pics of the rubber mats please

PS: Don't lose the previous owners number. 2yrs from now he may be upgrading to an Octy' .
Old 5th December 2012, 16:50   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Congrats, and boy!! how do you guys extract so much from that engine?! I am struggling to get above 13/l. Can you put up some pics of the rubber mats please

PS: Don't lose the previous owners number. 2yrs from now he may be upgrading to an Octy' .

Thank You! when you drive a Skoda, Drive it the way a Skoda should be Driven! this is what a Friend of mine who has done about a lakh of Kilometers in his 2004 Octavia told Me! he manages to get 15-16 in the City!

Basically the secret is to drive it within the economy speed range of 40-60, and make use of the gear + Clutch rather than the Brake!

The photographs of the Mats will be put up tomorrow! The previous owner is upgrading to a Diesel Fabia!
Old 5th December 2012, 17:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
The Car was taken into service today at 9.30 am for replacement of the Cover for Additional Brake Light, installation of a Strut Cap and Refixing of the Dead Pedal.

The additional brake light cover was broken by the sun film removers .......
.......The total Damage Rs. 404/- Parts + Labour!
Didn't read this post earlier. By ABL do you mean the High Mount Stop Lamp on the rear window?! Even mine has come off, the clamp is broken, although it works perfectly fine. They said the entire thing, including the lights, has to be replaced costing 3000 +. Buggers! They just fixed it temporarily with some adhesive.

Most Viewed