Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2012, 09:54   #31
BHPian

re: VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)

Maybe it would be a good idea to get these set of posts moved to the Vento tire thread as its becoming too much OT for a ownership thread .

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
For tire, upgrade to 205 55 R15, best & perfect size. Choices available
1. Apollo Accelere (Don't know, earlier were available)
2. Michelin Pilot Preceda II
3. Yokohama S-Drive
4. Continental CPC2
5. Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001 (Availability in India not sure)

That's more than enough choice.
The challenge it seems in India or at least in Kolkata only the Yoko S Drives are available in the 205/55/15 range. I checked in all the websites and neither Michelin nor Bridgestone has any tire available for that range in India. As for Yoko I decided to stay away because of the softer sidewalls. Apollos are available but I am not going with Apollos any more because two of them gave up at 20K . There is no Conti dealer in my city so my choice came back to 195/60/15. Moreover the additional 12 mm increase in GC is something that will always help which will not be there in 205/55/15.

Quote:
Bridgestone Australia website, says "Please Note: The GIII is now OBSOLETE and has been replaced by the Adrenalin RE001".

Bridgestone Australia Link.

RE001 does come in 205 patch size. Do have a look before upgrade.
RE001 is not available here. Only RE88 is available in India. Now RE001 is probably a directional tire (if it replaces the G3s) and the RE88 are the non-directional Potenzas. As per the dealer new Indian government regulations bans the import of tires it seems and only ISI certified tires can be sold here. I read in some other forums that BS moved their Potenza G3 manufacturing machinery to India from Japan and are now manufacturing the G3s locally. All this needs to be verified. However what sealed the deal in favor of the G3s was Tanveer's thread and his experience. I would like to retain these tires for at least 40-45K touchwood. Given that the road network in West Bengal is never going to improve in the foreseeable future I am ready to live with higher noise provided the tires can take some amount of abuse. Plus the added GC will always be welcome in tricky situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
RE88 is a pretty decent tyre. They also last long. IMO, go for the directional thread only if it is very necessary for your use. Otherwise why headache? Feedback is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2977849
Thanks will definitely give the RE88 a closer look once I am at the dealer. Apart from yours I didn't find a lot of feedback on the RE88s. Maybe because only enthusiasts talk about tires in detail and most of them go for the performance sporty ones.
samarjitdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 10:29   #32
BHPian

@el lobo: Thanks!

Quote:
Regarding headlight upgrade refer to the below post, should help you a lot.

Link.
I had gone through your thread when I was in the process of finalizing Vento. Fantastic thread!

Quote:
For tire, upgrade to 205 55 R15, best & perfect size. Choices available
1. Apollo Accelere (Don't know, earlier were available)
2. Michelin Pilot Preceda II
3. Yokohama S-Drive
4. Continental CPC2
5. Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza RE001 (Availability in India not sure)

That's more than enough choice.
Thanks. I have not ventured out to check with dealers yet, I gather from the threads that the issue is of availability. I have been using Michelin XM1+ on my Ikon and have had no issues (about 3-4 punctures at the most for 80K Kms on 2 sets), but I now see mixed feedback about Michelins. Ikon runs on OEM R13 alloys (!), so I am now wondering if the the soft sidewall issue show up on larger wheels. Option 5 seems interesting - will check out.

Have a nice day!
Old 1st December 2012, 11:56   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Apollos are available but I am not going with Apollos any more because two of them gave up at 20K . There is no Conti dealer in my city so my choice came back to 195/60/15. Moreover the additional 12 mm increase in GC is something that will always help which will not be there in 205/55/15.
Good to know Apollo are still available in 205 patch, but what happened with your Apollo to have given up at 20K?

How did you infer a 12 mm increase in GC? I did the comparison on 1010tires and the sidewall height difference of 195 over 185 is just 6 mm whereas difference of 205 over 185 is 2 mm.

12 mm would result in a GC of 180 mm and would spoil the look and high speed stability too.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 13:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did the comparison on 1010tires and the sidewall height difference of 195 over 185 is just 6 mm.
Yes. We get an advantage of about 6mm. If we add this to Polo / Vento GC of 168mm, it will be a comfortable 174mm.

This avoids all humps which are scientifically constructed. Also, it will not get too bad when tyres pass there half life period..
Old 1st December 2012, 14:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know Apollo are still available in 205 patch, but what happened with your Apollo to have given up at 20K?
Already got two punctures and recently saw gradual loss of pressure in two of them. Both the offending tires had around 5-8 small punctures at different places. I have updated the Vento tire thread on the issue. Apollos seem to start giving up after about a year and 20K as experienced by Ninja too. To be fair I have driven some non-existent roads here and there. But then I have always been babying the car through such roads. Based on reviews I went for the Potenza G3s which can take a lot of abuse. Lets see how it goes. Will update my ownership thread.

Quote:
How did you infer a 12 mm increase in GC? I did the comparison on 1010tires and the sidewall height difference of 195 over 185 is just 6 mm whereas difference of 205 over 185 is 2 mm.

12 mm would result in a GC of 180 mm and would spoil the look and high speed stability too.
Quote:
Yes. We get an advantage of about 6mm. If we add this to Polo / Vento GC of 168mm, it will be a comfortable 174mm.
My bad. Yes it is 6mm. So I guess handling and stability shouldn't deteriorate that much .

Quote:
This avoids all humps which are scientifically constructed. Also, it will not get too bad when tyres pass there half life period..
Yup thats the idea. Any additional GC is always welcome on Indian roads, specially where I live to drive. Also the treads seem to be double layered on the Potenza G3s. Anyway rest is luck and proper tire care. I guess we have gone enough OT on this thread now . I will give my feedback on the Vento and ownership threads.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 1st December 2012 at 14:28.
Old 2nd December 2012, 20:57   #36
BHPian

Adding some more pictures including interiors (as promised).

New black headlamps and fog lamps
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3087.jpg

View of dashboard and center console - nice bright cabin
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3143.jpg

View from driver seat
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3107.jpg

Center Console - RCD310 + speakers sound good
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3122.jpg

New gear lever (from Jetta) good to hold
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3124.jpg
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3134.jpg

Steering mounted audio controls; horn not easily accessible (just a matter of getting used to)
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3186.jpg

Garmin GPS/Reverse Camera/Bluetooth device
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3118.jpg

Front center arm rest and rear AC very useful; also notice the level to move front passenger seat
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3113.jpg

Maxspider 3D mats don't cover carpet around accelerator pedal - carpet prone to getting dirty (need a solution!)
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3172.jpg

View of front seats - nice chunky steering wheel
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3115.jpg

View of rear seats - decent leg space except for center hump
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3166.jpg

Last edited by pc73 : 2nd December 2012 at 21:27.
pc73 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:50   #37
BHPian

Dials and RCD 310 close up
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3119.jpg
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3180.jpg
pc73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
Adding some more pictures including interiors (as promised).

Steering mounted audio controls; horn not easily accessible (just a matter of getting used to)
Attachment 1021195

Garmin GPS/Reverse Camera/Bluetooth device
Attachment 1021196

Maxspider 3D mats don't cover carpet around accelerator pedal - carpet prone to getting dirty (need a solution!)
Attachment 1021200
Kindly elaborate on the functions of the Garmin device:
  1. Is the GPS sound integrated with the car speakers with auto muting the music if it is already playing?
  2. Is the BT integrated with the steering mounted controls?
  3. Does this device seamlessly integrate with the RCD310 with respect to Voice / Sound priority? - (Example: Telephone - GPS - Music - In the same order..)
  4. How many connections / wires go from this device? (Picture shows only one)

3D KAGU mats would have been a better fit... Check this out: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2506141
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
  1. Is the GPS sound integrated with the car speakers with auto muting the music if it is already playing?
  2. Is the BT integrated with the steering mounted controls?
  3. Does this device seamlessly integrate with the RCD310 with respect to Voice / Sound priority? - (Example: Telephone - GPS - Music - In the same order..)
  4. How many connections / wires go from this device? (Picture shows only one)
Garmin GPS is not integrated into car audio system. The Garmin unit has its own speaker at the back of the device. So answer to first 3 questions is "no". For question 4, only power cable is required by Garmin for charging (connected to Cigarette lighter socket). However, the bluetooth works well; just that one needs to manually press the mute button on steering control to pick up a call. The connectivity between Garmin & reverse camera is wireless.

Quote:
3D KAGU mats would have been a better fit... Check this out: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2506141
These indeed are original 3D Kagu custom mats (updated version is called Maxpider 3D Kagu mats). They are quite good and fit perfectly except that the area around accelerator pedal is not covered (not sure it is by design).
pc73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 23:34   #40
BHPian

Update @ 1765 Kms:

I took the plunge and replaced stock Aceleres. The Aceleres are decent tyres but I was not happy with handling and low-speed ride (found the car bouncy at 30 psi, 32 psi and 34 psi). In addition, on highways I found the car to be a bit wobbly (balancing issue?) at rear. As mentioned earlier, I am spoilt by Ikon's road grip and handling, so was never happy with Aceleres.

I am not very keen on performance/acceleration (ok, not any more!) and road noise, comfort and handling are more important for me (in that order).

I did some searching for 205/55 R15, the most suited upsize. However, the only option that was available (not readily though!) was Yoko S-drive. Since, I am not very keen on performance and unidirectional tyres, this was ruled out (have seen some negative feedback on forum too).

The next option was 195/60 R15. After considering options in Yoko, Bridgestone and Michelin, I settled for Michelin Primacy LC. I have seen three sets of Michelins on my Ikon (XM1/XM1+); first two sets lasted for about 45K Kms and current set has seen 30K Kms and good for another 10K Kms. I have had just a couple of punctures (ok, maybe 3) though I have driven on all kinds of roads and non-roads. So, Michelin was the choice since it seems to work for me and Primacy LC was available in 195/60 R15 size.

After changing the tyres, I drove around the city and here are the observations:
+ Road grip has significantly improved and the car seems planted to the road (never felt the same with Aceleres)
+ Steering feels heavier and better
+ Road noise is almost non-existent (I just hear the whirring of the engine)
+ Ride has improved significantly (tyre size a factor too). The car no longer bounces around on uneven roads.
+ Car seems to roll effortlessly and smoothly

In addition, I found that the MID fuel consumption display that was hovering around 13.8-14 Kmpl for last couple of days shot up to 15.1 Kmpl as soon as I started driving with Primacy LC (would wait for couple of days before concluding about the impact on fuel consumption figures).

I am not very sure about durability of these tyres on our roads. But I wanted to take a chance given my good experience with Michelins in the past. I just need to ensure that I drive with care over potholes and rough roads (which I anyway do).

Here is the picture of new tyre (Michelins always look underinflated!):
VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)-20121202_cpl3069.jpg

Thanks to everyone who pitched in with inputs! Will update after next highway drive.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:42   #41
BHPian

Quote:
This may be an issue with my car. When I try to turn the knob, the entire unit sort of moves in and out.
I suggest have it checked by the VW dealer. Anyways it should be covered by warranty.

Last edited by surd_biker : 3rd December 2012 at 09:52.
surd_biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2012, 23:36   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73

Here is the picture of new tyre (Michelins always look underinflated!):
Update some pics of new shoes too. How much wider are they and how does the car profile alter.
Old 4th December 2012, 12:15   #43
BHPian

Good job with the photos pc73!

Some queries regarding the Garmin navigation system:

1) Which model is it? What's the cost?

2) I notice that it's stuck to the windshield. Does this mean that you take it out every time you leave the car (to prevent theft perhaps), and if so how easy is it to mount/unmount it?

3) You said it uses bluetooth to communicate with the reverse parking camera. Which model of camera is this? And how good is the BT when reversing?

Apologies if you've already addressed the questions above previously in this thread!
Old 4th December 2012, 15:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They are quite good and fit perfectly except that the area around accelerator pedal is not covered (not sure it is by design).
I think it is so by design.

There is not much space under the accelerator pedal. Thickness of the mat under the pedal, may obstruct the range of the pedal movement. Therefore, this area may have been purposefully left out. Any way, that area will not easily get dirty...

I don't see any other reason. 3D Kagu mats are a good fit in general.

Good selection of Tyres. Did you fill nitrogen? 32 Psi Nitrogen all round, should be ideal for Vento with Michelin Tyres. I look forward to your feedback (long term) on the same.
Old 4th December 2012, 18:54   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightRider77 View Post
1) Which model is it? What's the cost?
Thanks for viewing, KnightRider. The GPS device is Garmin Nuvi 2565LM. However, it is co-branded as Volkswagen (as seen in the picture); so, I am not sure if there are additional features as compared to the off-the-shelf Garmin unit. I believe one additional feature is reverse camera integration - not mentioned in Garmin site as a feature for 2565LM; not sure if there are more. This device is an optional buy with Highline for Rs. 28K (initially, I had declined to buy this, but went ahead and got this at the last moment since the rear visibility in Vento is quite poor and can be chore while reversing in tricky basement parking situations).

Quote:
2) I notice that it's stuck to the windshield. Does this mean that you take it out every time you leave the car (to prevent theft perhaps), and if so how easy is it to mount/unmount it?
There are 2 parts. The "holder" that is stuck to windshield (vacuum suction cup mechanism) and the GPS unit itself. The unit can be removed from holder easily. I remove the unit from holder when parking in unmonitored public spaces. I did see an issue once when I had parked the car in hot sun. Due to the heat, the suction cup got detached from windscreen and the holder had fallen down (I had unmounted the unit when this happened, so no damage done).

Quote:
3) You said it uses bluetooth to communicate with the reverse parking camera. Which model of camera is this? And how good is the BT when reversing?
The reverse camera is factory installed by Volkswagen (just above rear number plate). I am not sure if bluetooth is used or some other proprietary RF technology - yet to explore. Not sure if bluetooth works while reversing; I personally won't be able to handle a phone call while reversing though I will test this out

Quote:
There is not much space under the accelerator pedal. Thickness of the mat under the pedal, may obstruct the range of the pedal movement. Therefore, this area may have been purposefully left out. Any way, that area will not easily get dirty...
I agree. However, I have a natural tendency to place my foot on the area beside accelerator pedal at signals. So, the area has become a bit dirty already (as can be seen in the picture). Need to cover it up with some suitable material.

Quote:
Good selection of Tyres. Did you fill nitrogen? 32 Psi Nitrogen all round, should be ideal for Vento with Michelin Tyres. I look forward to your feedback (long term) on the same.
Thanks. I hope my good experience with Michelin continues! Happy with the tyres so far. Will update soon on highway behavior.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks