Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 17:47   #61
BHPian

re: VW Vento TDI Highline 2012 refresh (1st service Update)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc73 View Post
Can you please elaborate on what issue you had while mounting near A pillar ? BTW, I have had no visibility issues with the unit mounted near A pillar. No cuts/holes required - the cable is routed through existing gaps. If you want to retain the unit at the center you can still route through the side (as in my case) and use an extension cable (stock cable is not long enough) and leave it on top of dashboard or tuck it near windshield.
I've done something similar on my 2010 Vento. But instead of routing a cable from existing 12v provision, I got a new 12v setup installed behind the head unit and routed out the USB-microUSB cable alone to top of dashboard near A pillar. I use it for charging my mobile this way which doubles as my GPS.
Old 31st December 2012, 21:47   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
------- I did see an issue once when I had parked the car in hot sun. Due to the heat, the suction cup got detached from windscreen and the holder had fallen down
Quote:
The other advantage I see with the Garmin unit is that I can use it in my other car too, if needed.
Generally the suction cups are sensitive to heat and tend to warp and harden with time faster resulting reduced suction, if it is regularly kept stuck to the glass in the hot sun.

Do you always keep the mount always attached to the windscreen ? or detach it from the glass when parked on hot days.

Some OEM GPS mount vendors recommend changing the suction cup every 6 months or at some interval. Has Garmin mentioned anything like that ?
Old 31st December 2012, 22:37   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Generally the suction cups are sensitive to heat and tend to warp and harden with time faster resulting reduced suction, if it is regularly kept stuck to the glass in the hot sun.
Did not think about this. Thanks!

Quote:
Do you always keep the mount always attached to the windscreen ? or detach it from the glass when parked on hot days.
Yes, I have it attached to the windscreen always. At home and at work, the car is never parked in hot sun. Even otherwise, I try to always park in shade. But on occasions when I may have to park in hot sun, will keep your point in mind.

Quote:
Some OEM GPS mount vendors recommend changing the suction cup every 6 months or at some interval. Has Garmin mentioned anything like that ?
I don't remember seeing this mentioned in Garmin user manual.
Old 12th January 2013, 23:48   #64
BHPian

Very useful information following your experience pc73.

Were you offered some free accessories during your purchase? I am in the market
for Vento Tdi in Bhubaneswar (where there is only one dealer) and not sure whether any bargain is possible or how the sales/services etc., are.

I was as such wondering how useful the navigation unit is, but you seem to have good reason to get it (apart from being able to use it on your Ford). Is the rear side visibility that bad ?

Also, you mentioned improvement in handling and road grip after change over to Michelins. How would you rate it compared to Ford now? Thanks.
Old 13th January 2013, 12:42   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbh View Post
Very useful information following your experience pc73.
Thanks stringbh!

Quote:
Were you offered some free accessories during your purchase? I am in the market
for Vento Tdi in Bhubaneswar (where there is only one dealer) and not sure whether any bargain is possible or how the sales/services etc., are.
I did not get any free accessories, not sure if VW dealers offer any freebies (I got insurance free plus corp discount). VW dealers (over)charge for mud flaps and mats. Try getting these free. If you can't, just get the mud flaps from the dealer and buy better mats in the market (Maxpider Kagu 3D mats would be perfect).

Quote:
I was as such wondering how useful the navigation unit is, but you seem to have good reason to get it (apart from being able to use it on your Ford). Is the rear side visibility that bad ?
As you know, the nav unit is an integrated device with GPS+Bluetooth+Reverse Camera functionality. Rear visibility is poor but then RCD 310 head unit has integrated reverse sensors (with audio and visual feedback) and should get the job done in most situations. I am not particularly impressed with navigation/maps function (esp. if you want to use it outside major cities). Bluetooth is not integrated with the music system and hence has limited utility. Retrospectively, I see no compelling reason to buy this unit. Just adding a cheaper bluetooth unit would be a more practical solution, IMHO, instead of this unit. You can opt out and buy this later, if and when you see a need.

Quote:
Also, you mentioned improvement in handling and road grip after change over to Michelins. How would you rate it compared to Ford now? Thanks.
Michelin PLC does improve on road noise, grip or steering feel and handling (in that order) over stock tyres. However, I still consider Ikon a better handler compared to Vento. Ikon feels totally planted on the road and has hydraulic power steering which gives a much better feel of the road. On its own merit, Vento is a pretty good handler too (just that I am spoilt by Ikon's handling which is the strongest point of the car) and ride quality in Vento at highway speeds is much better than Ikon.

Last edited by pc73 : 13th January 2013 at 12:43. Reason: fixed typos
Old 14th January 2013, 17:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Maxpider Kagu 3D mats would be perfect

Retrospectively, I see no compelling reason to buy this unit.
Thanks for your nice suggestions ! I think I will probably opt out of navigation for now and see how it goes. I am trying to get a deal on seat covers etc.,.
Old 31st January 2013, 22:13   #67
BHPian

Update @ 5000 Kms:
  • The engine performance, plush ride quality and decent handling makes the Vento a good highway car. However, driving the car in peak hour bumper-to-bumper traffic can be quite a chore due to the heavy and long travel clutch; only compensation here is the gear box which feels great and the EPS (though I prefer a hydraulic setup for highways).
  • With driver seat height adjustment and steering wheel reach/height adjustment one can easily find a comfortable driving position. The leatherette seats feel good and provide adequate support; one can drive for long hours without feeling any strain. However, a dead pedal would have been very helpful.
  • The doors have developed squeaking and squealing noises. As reported by other forum members, lubricating the door beading could resolve this issue. These noises are highly irritating and considering how busy the VW dealers are in Bangalore currently, I have not ventured out to get this resolved fearing that I may not get adequate attention from them.
  • I found that if one warms up the engine for a couple of minutes after a cold start (which anyway is advised for turbo engines), the engine feels smoother and less noisier during the drive.
  • I have found that sometimes I have to shift down to first gear while going over a really bad speed breaker or after momentarily coming to a complete stop. I have used the first gear only when starting off in all the other cars I have driven and never had to shift all the way down to first during the drive - this is new to me.
  • The low speed ride is unsettling. The car hops and jumps over uneven surfaces at low city speeds. However, at higher speeds, the car handles bad roads pretty well.
  • The Michelin PLC have been doing a great job so far. Like the zero road noise, improved handling and ride on highways.
  • The loud thud one gets from rear suspensions while going over speed breakers is really annoying. To avoid this one needs to crawl over the speed breakers and this may not always be possible if there are impatient drivers behind.
  • Though I have never seen this mentioned by any other Vento owner, I am not at ease with the brakes. I am not comfortable with the feedback I get from the pedal. I think the pedal lacks any sort of feel when pushed lightly and with just a slightly harder push the car abruptly stops. The amount of pressure to be applied on the pedal is something I have not been able to learn and this is a bigger problem in stop-and-go city traffic where I am constantly worried about rear-ending someone or being rear-ended. Moreover, I have driven Ikon which has terrible brakes for more than a decade and this probably is a factor too (though with Ikon, one just needs to slam the brakes always!).
  • Stock headlamps are adequate as long as there are no oncoming vehicles with even half decent headlamps. Though I don't drive much at night these days, I am planning to replace the bulbs with Philips Xtreme Vision.
  • In retrospect, the Garmin unit with GPS, reverse camera and blue tooth is of limited utility. The GPS helps only in big cities and towns to locate nearby restaurants, fuel pumps, hotels, etc., and can't lookup street addresses. Navigation does not always provide the best route. The reverse sensors integrated into RCD 310 HU is adequate and reverse camera is rarely needed, except in really tricky situations.
  • The car has so far consumed about 310 litres of diesel (I am myself surprised that I did track this!). So this gives a mileage of about 16.13 kmpl. Out of the 5K Kms, about 2K Kms can be considered as highway and rest within city limits. I always have the AC on. So, the mileage seems pretty good.

Overall, I think Vento is a very good highway car and is a pleasure to drive on highways. In city, the fun factor is diminished due to clutch and low speed ride.
pc73 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 12:50   #68
BHPian

Nicely summed up. rough ride at low speeds: is it due to your Michelins? What I read from other vento owners, handling and ride quality are too sensitive to the choice of shoes.
Old 5th February 2013, 11:41   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Nicely summed up. rough ride at low speeds: is it due to your Michelins? What I read from other vento owners, handling and ride quality are too sensitive to the choice of shoes.
I am not sure if this is because of Michelins. I saw the same behavior with stock Acelers too and infact this was one of the reasons for tyre upgrade. I probably should try reducing the air pressure to 32 psi (currently using 34 psi).
Old 5th February 2013, 13:36   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure if this is because of Michelins. I saw the same behavior with stock Acelers too and infact this was one of the reasons for tyre upgrade. I probably should try reducing the air pressure to 32 psi (currently using 34 psi).
I have experimented with a lot of pressures and finally settled for 32 front and 30 rear for my Vento running on 195 Bridgestones and it has reduced the rear thud significantly and ride quality is good. Michelins are known for their ride quality so i dont think thats a problem.

Try 32 all around but i have read low pressures are injurious to Michelin sidewall so be cautious and dont go below this.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 14:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I have experimented with a lot of pressures and finally settled for 32 front and 30 rear for my Vento running on 195 Bridgestones and it has reduced the rear thud significantly and ride quality is good. Michelins are known for their ride quality so i dont think thats a problem.

Try 32 all around but i have read low pressures are injurious to Michelin sidewall so be cautious and dont go below this.
Thanks coolboy007! I was using 34 all round as recommended by dealer. Have been a Michelin user for a long long time and never suspected the tyres. I changed the pressure to 32 yesterday and the ride on rough surfaces improved significantly. The car feels much better on rough surfaces - no more hopping and jumping and the car sails over speed breakers very smoothly now. The rear thud is significantly reduced too and I think if I use 30 on rear it would be completely gone.

Never realized that ride quality can change so dramatically with 2 psi change.

For the record, I will take back the comment I made about low speed ride quality on rough surfaces in post #67. It is not the best but it is quite good, but seems to be highly sensitive to tyre pressure. As stated earlier, I have always been very happy with the ride quality at highways speeds, even on not so smooth roads.

Last edited by pc73 : 6th February 2013 at 14:15. Reason: fixing typo
Old 7th February 2013, 15:27   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks coolboy007! I was using 34 all round as recommended by dealer. Have been a Michelin user for a long long time and never suspected the tyres. I changed the pressure to 32 yesterday and the ride on rough surfaces improved significantly. The car feels much better on rough surfaces - no more hopping and jumping and the car sails over speed breakers very smoothly now. The rear thud is significantly reduced too and I think if I use 30 on rear it would be completely gone.

Never realized that ride quality can change so dramatically with 2 psi change.

For the record, I will take back the comment I made about low speed ride quality on rough surfaces in post #67. It is not the best but it is quite good, but seems to be highly sensitive to tyre pressure. As stated earlier, I have always been very happy with the ride quality at highways speeds, even on not so smooth roads.
Wouldn't you be risking under inflation by going with 30psi on the rear?
Old 7th February 2013, 16:18   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
Wouldn't you be risking under inflation by going with 30psi on the rear?
With no passengers in rear seat, 30 psi may be okay with Apollo & Bridgestone (coolboy007 confirms this in his post above). Since I am using Michelin PLC, I will not go below 32 psi all around. Infact, on my Ikon, I did use 30 psi on rear with Michelin XM1+ for sometime and the ride was better.
pc73 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2013, 16:24   #74
BHPian

Quote:
With no passengers in rear seat, 30 psi may be okay with Apollo & Bridgestone (coolboy007 confirms this in his post above). Since I am using Michelin PLC, I will not go below 32 psi all around. Infact, on my Ikon, I did use 30 psi on rear with Michelin XM1+ for sometime and the ride was better.
Interesting. I always thought Michelins and Bridgestone were too risky for a 30psi.

I remember the dealer telling me not to go below 32 psi as it would damage the tyres and reduce its life even if it improves the overall ride quality.

This is getting confusing!
Old 7th February 2013, 18:31   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey645 View Post
Interesting. I always thought Michelins and Bridgestone were too risky for a 30psi.
!
I have travelled with 32 all around and 32 front 30 rear and liked the ride and handling with 32 front 30 rear. Under inflation has a lot of disadvantages including reduced tyre life but am ready to make that compromise if it reduced the thuds i get from rear which are unnerving.
No clue about Michelin but sidewalls on Bridgestones are solid and hard and wont take much hit - good durability but rough ride.
You gain some, you lose some.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks