Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2013, 22:49   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: 2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Ex-showroom - 6,03,941/-
I remember when i picked up my Ritz VDi back in feb-2010, the ex-showroom price was about 4.80 Lacs and now its 6.03 that's an increase of more then 1.2lacs , in Bangalore it will more.

Yup, i guess you are lucky enough to get any sort of discount on DDIS hearted Ritz.
All guys owning Ritz with a DDIS heart, i will suggest please change the tyres to 185 or 195 sections tyre , you will be surprised to see how the handling of your ride will change and what a fun driving a Ritz can be

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 09:57   #47
BHPian

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the advice.

Will follow your inputs.

I have driven this distance several times on my M800 (10-12 times) over the last 2 years. So I know the stretch like the back of my hand. Already planning which places to slow down and where to revv up.

Will post the experience in the new car.

Regards,
Saurav
Old 12th January 2013, 22:26   #48

Thanks for the detailed review, RavenAvi.

I have been following everything written on Maruti Ritz in the Team-BHP forum, and yours is one of the most recent and thus most helpful perspectives of the new Ritz.

The thing is that I had settled to buy the Ritz few months ago. But just recently, after a week-long test drive of the new Ritz VXI (I had borrowed a friends new car), I found the accelerator and brake pedals too high, and sharply inclined. In fact, within an hour of driving my right heel began to hurt because it was bearing all the weight. (I am 5ft 10in).

I still liked everything else about the car and so I even considered using a thin slab to raise the height.

But just today, I took my wife to the Maruti dealers to see if she could drive the car. We looked at the ZXI option, which was adjustable seats, but her foot couldn't even reach the pedals comfortably without suspending them in the air. (She is 5ft).

This was hugely disappointing and we had to, just a few hours ago, abandon our first and only choice, the Ritz.

Now we're lost, and we have to start the whole search again... starting with the Wagon R... and perhaps Hyundai's i10 (keeping the tall-boy) theme.

However, my question to you is, did you (do you) face this similar discomfort with the high accelerator/brake position, or is it just me?

Thanks again for your wonderful report.
NAyK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 08:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAyK View Post

I found the accelerator and brake pedals too high, and sharply inclined.
This was one of the reason why my close friend did not buy RITZ, he went for Figo instead.

Since you are looking for tall-boy, check out TATA VISTA once, it is also on the taller side and has Sedan class space.( Give it a try even if you are not going to buy it ).
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 09:01   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But just today, I took my wife to the Maruti dealers to see if she could drive the car. We looked at the ZXI option, which was adjustable seats, but her foot couldn't even reach the pedals comfortably without suspending them in the air. (She is 5ft).

This was hugely disappointing and we had to, just a few hours ago, abandon our first and only choice, the Ritz.

Now we're lost, and we have to start the whole search again... starting with the Wagon R... and perhaps Hyundai's i10 (keeping the tall-boy) theme.
This is a known problem. Guys who are not taller have this problem with Ritz. So is the sharp incline of the pedals.

Possible other options which you should consider are : i10 and Brio esp the AT versions if the daily distance of commute is not high.

Also if you are not too much concerned on the boot size and are strictly for city drive alone, take a look at A-Star AT.
Returns a very good FE and has very good suspensions. (You can note, I am proposing a case for an AT. Do give a thought on this.
Because I am very sure an AT small car at home, is very useful.)

Sorry for this OT. Maybe you start a new thread on the same.

Last edited by ampere : 13th January 2013 at 09:02.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 11:33   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
However, my question to you is, did you (do you) face this similar discomfort with the high accelerator/brake position, or is it just me?
Hey mate, thanks for liking my thread.

Regarding the height issue, I have had no problems with it. Maybe it's because I am a tall guy (6'0") and have large feet (size 13 shoes). During driving, my heels stay firmly on the floor and I can easily operate all 3 pedals. The grouse I have is that they have provided no space beyond the clutch so your left leg has to rest on the central console, which can be tiresome for long journeys.

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130113_112006.jpg

(excuse the naked feet, it's a Sunday!)

Dad is 5'6" with size 9 shoes, and he has no complaints either.

I suggest getting a thick, padded floor mat for additional support to your feet if height is the only issue for you in buying the Ritz. For very short people, it might be an issue but then this problem will remain in most tall-boys.

If a comparatively low-slung car can be considered, I suggest the Figo as the best alternative to the Ritz. Or, if you want to go for a similar tall-boy, the Hyundai i10 ticks most boxes.

Let us know how it all goes. All the best!
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 20:04   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Also if you are not too much concerned on the boot size and are strictly for city drive alone, take a look at A-Star AT.
Returns a very good FE and has very good suspensions. (You can note, I am proposing a case for an AT. Do give a thought on this.
Because I am very sure an AT small car at home, is very useful.)

Sorry for this OT. Maybe you start a new thread on the same.
As A STar AT owner, I agree with you, its really useful, except for the fact that we have taken it for some serious long drives over a variety of terrains and it handles really well. But the boot space is limited though.
Old 14th January 2013, 19:39   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The door sill plates arrived today. Stainless steel, thinner than expected. And not illuminated as the side-step garnishes of my Pegasus. (I guess that was asking for too much).

I must admit they add a touch of class to the looks, plus they help in keeping the door sills protected. The longer ones get fitted under the front doors, and the shorter ones under the rear doors. They are stuck directly to the plastic sills already provided in the Ritz through a series of stickers. No holes, no drilling, no fixing, no fuss. Just peel them off, press tightly and presto!

Cost = 690/- (including VAT).

Front:

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130114_165930.jpg

Rear:

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130114_170000.jpg

Sylver is nearing 500 kms, and the FE is actually going up! It stands at 18.8 kpl, as of this evening. More credit goes to Dad and his style of driving.

I have noticed one other thing - the gear shifts have gone a wee bit harder than the time I drove Sylver last. It gets slightly tougher to shift from any gear (downshift or upshift). Is it my imagination or something because of the heavier diesel engine? Comparing it to the smooth slotting of my Pegasus (Honda City), and it's like ploughing through the gears.

On a complete side note - can anyone explain what kind of pleasure people derive from spitting on brand new cars? It had happened 2-3 times with my Pegasus, and 4-5 times with our Sylver till now (twice reported by Dad). Even today evening when I returned home, I had to wash off spit marks from the top of the rear wheel arch and left rear door. It's really disgusting! Ugh!
Old 18th January 2013, 00:53   #54
BHPian

Awesome review RavenAvi.

I am also a proud owner of a new Breeze Blue Ritz VDI (delivered 2 weeks back). Though I have driven a petrol Ritz before, driving this DDIS beast brings a bigger grin on my face. Keeping the revs in check during the run-in period is going to be a big exercise in self-restraint.

Couple of questions for you/others:
1. How is the ride quality with Apollo Amazers? Mine are shod with Bridgestones and I *feel* the ride quality of a previous Ritz I drove was better on patchy roads.
2. I have a choice between OEM Nippon vs Alpine HU. Mostly Alpine will sound better, but the Nippon one looks way classier IMHO. Anyone aware of the Nippon performance vs the Alpine one for medium usage? (Speakers are JBL-S366 260W front only. Price of Nippon:10.5k, Alpine:9k, both with USB support)

Thanks
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 17:22   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I am also a proud owner of a new Breeze Blue Ritz VDI (delivered 2 weeks back). Though I have driven a petrol Ritz before, driving this DDIS beast brings a bigger grin on my face. Keeping the revs in check during the run-in period is going to be a big exercise in self-restraint.
First of all, congratulations! It's a wonderful car, and will serve you well for many years to come. Excellent decision.

Oh yes, try harnessing the DDiS beast till 1500-2000 kms, if you can. I know it's a hard exercise and a real test of your self-restraint.

Quote:
Couple of questions for you/others:
1. How is the ride quality with Apollo Amazers? Mine are shod with Bridgestones and I *feel* the ride quality of a previous Ritz I drove was better on patchy roads.
It's pretty average so far. On uneven, broken roads the ride quality is pretty bumpy and I can literally feel the suspension working overtime to keep the riding comfort optimum. For the city roads it's solid, but then most OEM tyres are. Overall, it could have been better. To feel a difference in riding comfort, an upgrade to 185/70s is highly recommended.

Quote:
2. I have a choice between OEM Nippon vs Alpine HU. Mostly Alpine will sound better, but the Nippon one looks way classier IMHO. Anyone aware of the Nippon performance vs the Alpine one for medium usage? (Speakers are JBL-S366 260W front only. Price of Nippon:10.5k, Alpine:9k, both with USB support)
I felt that the sound quality of the Alpine HU is definitely better than the Nippon one. There's a bit more clarity in the mids and highs. Combine that with a decent set of components up front and coaxs in the rear and you should get some good quality sound, even minus an amp/subwoofer. Mind you, for the thump-thump sounding lows you would definitely need a sub or a bass tube. If you prefer normal bass, the setup above is sufficient.

Experts may chip in here, but if you ask for my opinion, I would recommend the Alpine HU wholeheartedly.

Waiting to hear back from you on your decision. Let us know how it goes. All the best!
Old 20th January 2013, 00:54   #56
BHPian

RavenAvi, I got the Nippon HU fitted today. Love the integrated look and the way the unit lights up at night. Talk about form over function.
Regarding performance, I tweaked the EQ and Bass settings and I feel it sounds decent (I'm not an audiophile BTW). This is actually a newer model than the previous NSCR-03, with addition of USB , so it *might* have better sound quality.

On another note, seeing your longing for illuminated sill plates, have you come across these? (http://www.ebay.in/itm/Car-Door-Sill...#ht_1915wt_906).
Seem decent at that price, but no idea if anyone has actually used them.
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 21:40   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Ohh Man!! That's some review! So freakin detailed. And so many pics too! Late to wish, but.. Miles of happy & safe motoring!

Have fun with the car! To be frank, I would have picked up an illuminated scuff plate over the one which you installed. Not to my likes!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 17:04   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Hey mate, thanks for liking my thread.

Regarding the height issue, I have had no problems with it. Maybe it's because I am a tall guy (6'0") and have large feet (size 13 shoes).

Hi all,

Even I felt this initially ...

The other car I am driving is Maruti 800. The height of Accelerator, Brake & Clutch pedals are more than that of a M800 (or even other cars). I felt it is becoz I am of short height 5'3" with shoes of size 5.

Happy to know even tall guys have experienced the same thing.

However, no issues driving. No discomfort at all. I am driving it to work everyday in place of my M800.

Today is 22nd day of ownership and the ODO stands at 818kms.

I did not go to my hometown last week as planned earlier due to professional requirements. Entire 1000kms will now be within Kolkata city. Planning for the First Service around 25th-26th.

Regards,
Saurav
sauravdc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 13:01   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

First Free Service Report: (728 kms)

Availed - 24th January, 2013.

Work to be done -

All general check-ups/top-ups of the 1 month/1000 kms 1st Service,
Washing & Cleaning.

Time Spent - Around 2 hours.

Charges - Rs. 30/- (Distilled water + 1 sachet of cleaning liquid).

First of all, kudos to Maruti Suzuki for a reminder service as good as the Hondas. I received no less than 5 calls reminding me of Sylver's first service between 8th January and 22nd January. Since I was busy with a lot of stuff, I availed the first service on the last valid day from the date of purchase, i.e., the 24th.
Since the dealership/A.S.S. center is in my own city, time wasn't a problem. I reached there at 11:30 AM and a SA was promptly assigned to me. There are no problems with Sylver at the moment (touchwood!) so all they had to do was the general check-up and washing.
It was a comparatively light day at the A.S.S. center and that worked in my favor. Sylver was promptly sent to be washed and cleaned first. They opened all the doors and the boot door, and compressed air was blown on the insides to clean the dust. Then it was time to get washed. Up on the ramp she went, and got a nice, long, proper bath! The cleaning guys did a fabulous job of cleaning her nooks and crannies, and also took off the ribbons which she was wearing since the day of her delivery (exactly one month ago).
Then came the turn of the polishers. Using cleansing fluid and petrol they worked up their charm and gave a nice, thorough rub to Sylver, leaving her beaming in her silvery pride in the sunshine. This whole process took exactly one hour, and at 1 PM Sylver stood outside the workshop, waiting to be driven in for her general check-up.
The 3M guy came over to check her undersides for the anti-Rust underbody coating checkup, and promptly gave me the "all-good" signal. Then she was driven into the workshop.
All her electricals were checked and OKed, distilled water top-up for the battery and coolant top-up was done, and Sylver was promptly dispatched outside to the delivery line for me to pick her up. The billing took a minute because online billing was a bit slow to open, but I had the bill and the gate pass with me soon. At around 2 PM, I was driving back to office.
In-between, I received the car invoice, bill for the Alpine HU, and a second copy of the original Maruti-Suzuki Insurance. My SA Rajnish's Dad had fallen sick and he was busy with running to and fro from Nagpur and back, so he had fallen back on giving us all the ownership papers. But the guy had managed to send all the documents on 5th January to my uncle to get Sylver registered, thank God for that.
Sylver received her numberplates about 10 days back, and she was officially registered then. 6-inch numberplates with 3D gold-plated effect, specially made in Hyderabad. Will see if I can post a pic.

Cost of numberplates = 1300/- (got 200/- discount)

Going to pick up her RC book and card in a moment. The two other official accessories which I had ordered haven't arrived yet (twin reading lamps for the rear and the boot, and the official premium central locking kit), so the fittings have to wait for a bit.

Current ODO reading - 741 kms.
Current F.E. - 19.2 kmpl.
(all in-city driving with AC on 50% of the time)

Here are some pictures :-

On the washing ramp, wheel covers being taken off.

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130124_114010.jpg

Ribbons being taken off.

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130124_114304.jpg

Up!

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130124_114935.jpg

The cleaning/polishing guys going about their job.

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130124_124357.jpg

Inside the workshop, getting the general check-up done.

2012 Maruti Ritz VDI - Our new family workhorse! **EDIT: Now sold!**-20130124_131303.jpg

Ciao for now. Drive safe!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 14:35   #60
Senior - BHPian

I just noticed this, how can i miss it earlier? Can you paint the door handles and the mirror cladding to the body color of silky silver?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks