Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2013, 18:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Skoda Laura Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Yes there is, and I can accompany you for it as well.
Thanks Devdath. I'll let you know when the car is ready for PDI.
Coming back to the Laura, since many have suggested that 9.8 km/l is good FE, I really wonder. I thought the DSG gives upwards of 10/11 in the city and upwards of 15 on highways. Please clarify
Old 20th January 2013, 19:02   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachanoop View Post
...Good thing you mentioned on the PDI. Is there a ready PDI checklist here? Any co-ordinates? I'm a newbie here
Thanks again. I am counting by the minutes now.
Read well thru this, a company while PDI will NOT hurt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Quote:
...I know about the new gen coming soon, but the "soon" was not soon enough for me . I was so impressed with the Laura that I wanted to buy it before the production stops (a little too much na? ). What I've realized through the 2 month exercise is that there are always pros and cons of a car, but finally one needs to buy what satisfies the heart. I took the risk because mine is a lease car, and I have the liberty to not think beyond 44 months of the leasing period...
Perfect. Just wanted to check whether you are updated about the launch. You are spot on, one should buy what they like. And in case of Skoda, this gen Laura may be a better deal as no one knows what could be the problems with the new gen.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 19:27   #18
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks Devdath. I'll let you know when the car is ready for PDI.
Coming back to the Laura, since many have suggested that 9.8 km/l is good FE, I really wonder. I thought the DSG gives upwards of 10/11 in the city and upwards of 15 on highways. Please clarify
The Laura DSG is the most fuel efficient car in it's segment and you 'll easily get around 10.5-11kmpl in Bangalore traffic. On the highways, which are it's natural habitat, you 'll easily get around 20kmpl at speeds of around 100kmph.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 22:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Read well thru this, a company while PDI will NOT hurt.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html

Perfect. Just wanted to check whether you are updated about the launch. You are spot on, one should buy what they like. And in case of Skoda, this gen Laura may be a better deal as no one knows what could be the problems with the new gen.

Thanks a ton switfnfurious. I bet, company only helps during PDI. You wanna join too ?

I racked my brains a lot over the next gen Octavia, the Jetta etc., but then as you rightly said, one never knows what problems does the next gen may come with. If that turns out to be problematic, for all you know, the Laura may be still in demand in the resale market (wicked me). The Jetta was good, but somehow it didnt give me the rush of adrenaline. Also, I felt it didnt have a character of it's own on the road. Can pass off as just another car.

Quote:
The Laura DSG is the most fuel efficient car in it's segment and you 'll easily get around 10.5-11kmpl in Bangalore traffic. On the highways, which are it's natural habitat, you 'll easily get around 20kmpl at speeds of around 100kmph.
Thanks Dev. Slightly . Talking of FE, what some of the car makers dont realize is that India has moved on, but an average Indian would still calculate the operational cost and rightly so; why burn fuel just because you have deeper pockets. Before zeroing in on Laura, I also checked out the Accord and Outlander. When I asked the sales guys of Honda and Mitsubishi about the FE, they told me, almost mortifyingly "Customers who buy Accord / Outlander dont ask for FE. They dont care". Really? I thought. I understand that 10 years ago, the Accord was for the kings and the elite, but today, it is affordable to salaried middle-class guys like me. But that doesnt in anyway mean we are mentally prepared to run a car with FE 5-6 km/l. Just a thought.
reachanoop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 08:14   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I racked my brains a lot over the next gen Octavia, the Jetta etc., but then as you rightly said, one never knows what problems does the next gen may come with. If that turns out to be problematic, for all you know, the Laura may be still in demand in the resale market (wicked me). The Jetta was good, but somehow it didnt give me the rush of adrenaline. Also, I felt it didnt have a character of it's own on the road. Can pass off as just another car.
Problematic maybe a farfetched thought, as these cars are global models, and get down to India as CKD.

I agree with what you mentioned. Even after so many years in the market, the Laura has loads of character. The Jetta looks very elegant, but a bit subdued in comparison (with the Laura). The only thing I did not like in the Laura is the grade of the faux wood used.
Old 21st January 2013, 10:45   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton switfnfurious. I bet, company only helps during PDI. You wanna join too ? ..
Thanks a lot buddy, would have loved to catch up with couple of you & help as well. Unfortunately, I am in Kerala right now and could be here for another week.

Will definitely catch up sometime. All the best & please keep us posted, may be some trailer pics too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Problematic maybe a farfetched thought, as these cars are global models, and get down to India as CKD...
With Skoda, one needs to be extra cautious. We have seen multiple issues in the current gen which got sorted out in the long run. I personally would consider the current gen safer till the new gen proves it's worth.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 21st January 2013 at 10:48.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 13:06   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The latest batch of diesel has the same design alloys as VRS - so does the dealer says. I'm waiting for mine. Will update if that is true.
Are you absolutely sure of this?! I have my doubts because there hasn't been a report to this effect.

Moreover the 2.0 TDI Ambition rides on 15-inchers so has a stock upsize happened on that from Skoda?
Old 21st January 2013, 13:29   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Are you absolutely sure of this?! I have my doubts because there hasn't been a report to this effect.

Moreover the 2.0 TDI Ambition rides on 15-inchers so has a stock upsize happened on that from Skoda?
This could be true, especially with the news that they are not assembling vRS anymore. Probably they have quite a lot of L&K kit and vRS residues lying around, which they are using to update the MY2013 models

I got a confirmation (via email) from the dealer on the updates on 2.0 TDI DSG Ambition. Some key updates I noticed (from what is currently there on Skoda Website):

1. 16 inch Alloy Wheels
2. Skoda audio player With 8 Speakers
3. 6.5 inch LCD TFT color display
4. 6 CD changer
5. Steering mounted audio controls with bluetooth
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2013, 15:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I got a confirmation (via email) from the dealer on the updates on 2.0 TDI DSG Ambition. Some key updates I noticed (from what is currently there on Skoda Website):

1. 16 inch Alloy Wheels
2. Skoda audio player With 8 Speakers
3. 6.5 inch LCD TFT color display
4. 6 CD changer
5. Steering mounted audio controls with bluetooth
vb-san, could you please share or post that email here for the benefit of the group? Also I want to know; in that case what upgrades does the Elegance get?
Old 21st January 2013, 16:05   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
vb-san, could you please share or post that email here for the benefit of the group? Also I want to know; in that case what upgrades does the Elegance get?
Hi, what I mentioned is indeed a cut-paste from the email, just that I omitted those which were standard in 2012 model. Did not paste the email as the feature list is pretty long. The additions/changes are those listed in my previous post.

The email goes like this:
Quote:
Dear Sir,
Please find the below said details of Skoda Laura Ambition AT 2013.

1. 16 inch Alloy Wheels
2. Chrome surrounded radiator grills
3. Ivory colored interior upholstery
4. Halogen projected head lamps
5. Front & rear fog lamps
6. Warning lights on front door
7. Electrically adjustable rear view mirror with defogger
I don't know about the updates in Elegance/L&K because I did not enquire about those. My pre-showroom visit I interactions were strictly on the Ambition trim, and when I visited the showroom 2 weeks back, he specifically explained the details of that variant only (just that the TD car was Elegance AT). I feel the Rs. 150k premium for the Elegance is too steep, the key difference being climate control and leather seats.
Old 21st January 2013, 16:28   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I visited the dealer here in Gurgaon a few days back along with a friend. Besides changes pointed out by vb-san to Ambiente AT (these won't be applicable to MT version as per the dealer here), he informed that Elegance MT would be discountinued. The additional features (TFT audio system, steering mounted controls etc) would be available on Elegance AT as well.

Also coming along is TSI AT .
Old 21st January 2013, 22:06   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom

I'm not sure of this. The pieces at skoda is like a game of dice . I did see an Ambition model in the stockyard with dragon alloys, but today the dealer called me to say that the L&K supposed to be delivered to me has arrived from the factory but it's not with dragon alloys, but has bluetooth. This got me really wild and I gave him an earful. He promised to arrange the vrs alloys for me. Let's see. I cant believe till I really see it.
Old 22nd January 2013, 13:26   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Also coming along is TSI AT .
It is a known fact that the TSI DSG is problem plagued and has a colorful history of failure on the Superb. So unless Skoda has a permanent fix on this, it is a risky move. I personally doubt this is in the offing.

Checked with my dealership over here; they haven't heard anything on this either.

Quote:
I'm not sure of this. The pieces at skoda is like a game of dice . I did see an Ambition model in the stockyard with dragon alloys, but today the dealer called me to say that the L&K supposed to be delivered to me has arrived from the factory but it's not with dragon alloys, but has bluetooth. This got me really wild and I gave him an earful. He promised to arrange the vrs alloys for me. Let's see. I cant believe till I really see it.
Rather unfortunate and weird on Skoda's part to ring in these changes at the fag end of the car's life cycle. I know one can easily say that it is better late than never. But doing this much earlier could've translated into much better sales figures for the Laura than what it has recorded over the last few months.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 22nd January 2013 at 13:28.
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:52   #29
BHPian

Quote:
It is a known fact that the TSI DSG is problem plagued and has a colorful history of failure on the Superb. So unless Skoda has a permanent fix on this, it is a risky move. I personally doubt this is in the offing.

Checked with my dealership over here; they haven't heard anything on this either.

Rather unfortunate and weird on Skoda's part to ring in these changes at the fag end of the car's life cycle. I know one can easily say that it is better late than never. But doing this much earlier could've translated into much better sales figures for the Laura than what it has recorded over the last few months.
I'm hoping the Skoda has ironed out issues on the TSI DSG.
On the changes, it seems that Skoda is going all out with the sales in this last year for the Laura. Yes, better late than never.
Old 23rd January 2013, 07:00   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Devdath, my lease formalities was completed much faster than I expected. The PO has reached the dealer yesterday, which means the car will go for registration tomorrow. That leaves me with only today to do the PDI. Sorry for short notice, but will it be possible for you to accompany me this evening by 4 pm at the vinayak stock yard near GCC? Due to my membership level, I am unable to PM you. Could you PM me?
Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks