Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 18:58   #1
BHPian

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)

My tryst with the Honda Brio began in May 2011 when i saw a photo of the yet to be launched vehicle in a newspaper. A year and 7 months down the road I took delivery of the Honda Brio S MT on December 25th 2012. I was able to get zero depreciation insurance and floor mats free with the vehicle (i am not very good at bargaining ). The vehicle worked out to be Rs 520,000 on road.

My initial experience with the Brio was true to its catch phrase "it loves your back". I was very happy with the light and airy feel of the interiors which is augmented by the fact that the interiors are beige but the flip side to this is that they get dirty very easily. Its good that Honda have decided to give the dash board a dual color tone as that helps break the monotony of the beige.

The gauges are large and they are illuminated as soon as you insert the key or open the door. I would have loved it if there were 2 trip meters however you get a fuel efficiency meter in the place of one of the trip meters. The S MT version comes with remote central locking (the remote is integrated with the key but this is not the case with the spare key), 4 door power windows, electronically adjustable ORVM, stereo with 4 speakers in the doors (the quality of the stereo is decent enough but audiophiles like me would still need to upgrade), the stereo has steering mounted audio controls that come in handy while driving.

The boot space of the car is abysmal (the less we speak about it the better) however the rear leg room is decent. A person who is 6 foot can sit comfortably in the rear seat provided the front seats are not pushed all the way back.

The best part about this car is its engine. The engine is in a league of its own and is very refined however i found that it was a bit louder than my outgoing Chevy Beat which i think had an engine that was super silent. One of the reasons for this could be due to the fact that Honda has omitted that under bonnet cladding resulting in the engine sound becoming more prominent in the cabin. The car features an ECO light which lights up green when you drive the car in a fuel efficient manner and encourages fuel efficient driving. Its pretty easy to drive the vehicle in a manner that the light stays on 95% of the time but that's not the case if you are rev happy.

The car has very good visibility all round and blind spots are virtually non existent (this makes driving in the city traffic a breeze).

The engine has oodles of power and frequent gear changes are unnecessary. In fact with the air con turned off the car can comfortably cruise in the 5th gear at even 20 km/hr and this comes in handy when you are in heavy traffic that crawls. I love the engine note when the vehicle is revved higher as it has a sporty sound to it. I heard that all the I-VTEC engines from Honda have this distinct engine note.

The little Honda is a capable performer even on highways as it doesn't feel like it is running out of power when it comes to overtaking. The vehicle has good acceleration even in the 5th gear beyond a speed of 80km/hr. The handling of this car is another bright spot as it loves to be thrown around corners. The car is not a Mini Cooper but it is in a class of its own in terms of handling when it comes to other mass produced budget hatchbacks in the Indian market.

The flip-side to this is the ride quality that gets affected when you are driving on the slightest of bad roads. I found that my ex Chevrolet Beat felt more comfy when driven on bad roads compared to the Brio however it lagged in terms of handling so its just a matter of personal preference whether you tend to choose the handling over the comfort or vice versa.

I have heard a lot about the quality of Honda engines and their fuel efficiency. Although fuel efficiency is not an important factor for me i must say that i was surprised when the car returned 16.1 km/lit with the first fill of fuel (90% of it was in the city and i haven't used the air con).

I cant say much about the Air Con or its performance because i haven't used it yet. The power steering is very light and easy in city conditions requiring almost minimum effort from the driver and this helps when the car is on a standstill. The problem is that though this is great for city conditions it doesn't weigh up enough on the highway and still feels light. Enthusiasts might find this a tad bit boring.

When it comes to equipment levels the S MT offers all the basics that you can expect however the fact that the vehicle doesn't come with an auto a/c even on the top end variant seems like a bit of a bummer. Honda has also indulged in a bit of cost cutting to be able to provide the Brio at an economical price and it seems glaring at times. Things such as the lack of under bonnet cladding, the fact that the interior of the engine bay isn't painted the same color as the car take some getting used to.

I have installed after market chrome rims to my car which had cost me Rs 18,000 and the stares that they evoke from people is definitely worth all the time/effort that it takes to clean them. I decided against upgrading the stock tires as i usually change my vehicle every 2 years irrespective of the number of kilometers that it runs.

I had removed the stock music system and got a JVC AVX 836 system (7 inch in-dash DVD) with integrated Bluetooth fitted to the vehicle. I am running a total of 7 speakers in the car and they includes the four stock speakers that come in the doors in addition to which i have philips 4 way 400 watt 6/9 inch speakers in the rear and also a 1000w JBL sub that is powered by a JBL GT series amp. The system sounds amazing if i say so myself.

I am including photos of my vehicle before the modifications and after for you guys to check out. I have driven the vehicle 235 kms till date and i will be updating the thread whenever possible. This is my first Honda having owned 6 cars from different brands prior to this and i am loving every bit of the little Brio.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-nitin-thayis-new-vehicle-delivery-photo.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-my-honda-brio.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-side-view-brio.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-alloy.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-brio-me-rear.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201301220562.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201301220564.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201301220567.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201301220568.jpg

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201301220569.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th February 2013 at 11:34. Reason: Adding paragraph spaces for better readability. Thanks
chase_nt is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 11:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Old 5th February 2013, 12:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Firstly congratulations on the car. The Brio has picked up really well within the last year or so and makes perfect sense for our traffic bustling cities.
Though the ICE set up looks nice and in the Brio should make ample noise , I am not really a fan of chrome rims specially on smaller rim sizes. Adds to much unnecessary bling and starts over shadowing the car. Ironically i have the same rim design in 17 inches on my skoda in hyper silver. However , if it works for you then great. Enjoy your ride !

Last edited by bigron : 5th February 2013 at 12:23.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car, indeed a sweet machine to zip around town in.

One question- I have been driving a friends Brio for some time now, but never knew that the S MT variant had electrically adjustable ORVM. Can you please point out to me the exact location of the adjusting switch for the ORVM???
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice car, nicer color and good add ons - but you are a brave soul to install 2 6x9's and 1 amp on the parcel tray. With the all glass hatch of the Brio, just might be a thief magnet.
Best of luck zipping around - drive safe!
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 12:51   #6
BHPian

Congrats there. A wise choice for a nice price!

But you've killed whatever little bootspace is available. Works if you're single but a family trip may take a hit.

Happy driving!
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 13:05   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congrats .
Now that's what you call "funky alloys " .
Very valid point made by Sid about the amp and the speakers on the parcel tray.
You may want to place the amp under the seat or in the boot itself.

Anyways drive safe and keep the thread updated .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 21:24   #8
BHPian

wow! congrats man. I test drove the Brio recently, fun little thing but didn't like the rear suspension, a bit too stiff for my likings.

I'm surprised you got a sub into that tiny space, hope the sound isn't overwhelming. Happy driving.
tjacob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 23:53   #9
BHPian

Congrats man! Brio is a very nice hatch to own. And UT looks superb on it. You have got some hot rims giving a jazzy look to your brio. What size of rubber have you upgraded to? The music system looks cool and am sure it would be blast to listen music on it. Enjoy your first Honda.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 02:20   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. Nice sound system and alloys you have got there, though the stock tires don't do full justice to the alloys. A fatter set of rubbers will enhance the looks and the handling further.

And are those beige seats OEM fabric ones? If so, I'd suggest you get some good seat covers in contrasting colors with beige.
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Congrats on your Breeo. It sure is a breeze to drive in city traffic. Nice flashy alloys, a bit too jazzy for me but hey opinions are subjective.

I see you're still running stock Good Years. If you can go for an upgrade and see how much the ride quality improves. It'll stiffen up the steering just a bit but the handling improves quite a bit.

While you're at it see if you can paint the brake calipers to a contrasting shade. It'll make your Brio stand out better.

Drive safe buddy!!
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 12:07   #12
BHPian

Moderators note: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
I am not really a fan of chrome rims specially on smaller rim sizes. Adds to much unnecessary bling and starts over shadowing the car. Ironically i have the same rim design in 17 inches on my skoda in hyper silver. However , if it works for you then great. Enjoy your ride !
Thanks bigron. I have used several types of alloys on my prior vehicles however i had never used chrome and i made a conscious decision to go in for it. They do attract a lot of attention especially if you keep them shiny as i do. I am kind of getting used to the attention however when i have someone riding shotgun in the vehicle they are taken aback by the stares .

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Congrats on the car, indeed a sweet machine to zip around town in.

One question- I have been driving a friends Brio for some time now, but never knew that the S MT variant had electrically adjustable ORVM. Can you please point out to me the exact location of the adjusting switch for the ORVM???
Thanks mate. I think that your friend purchased his Brio prior to November 2012 as the S MT versions prior to that never used to have the electronically adjustible ORVM's. Its hard to miss as it is located right above the power window switches on the drivers side armrest. I am going to post a few pictures in my thread maybe that would be of help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Nice car, nicer color and good add ons - but you are a brave soul to install 2 6x9's and 1 amp on the parcel tray. With the all glass hatch of the Brio, just might be a thief magnet.
Best of luck zipping around - drive safe!
Thank you blackasta. One of the reasons that i chose this color is not just because it looks good but its a bit rare to find people in my city buying Brio's having this color. I did have a similar ICE set up in my ex Chevy Beat and it made it stand apart from the crowd and hence decided to have the same sort of set up in the Brio too. Fortunately i don't go out much during the nights and the city that i live in is not notorious for vehicle or car audio system thefts and hence that made me opt for this sort of a set up. I certainly wouldn't dare to have a set up like this in any of the metro's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
But you've killed whatever little bootspace is available. Works if you're single but a family trip may take a hit.

Happy driving!
Thanks buddy. The set up is definitely not for people with family's. I'm single and hence boot space is not a priority for me. In fact i even contemplated have another sub in the boot if possible . I think that the Brio's boot space is so abysmal that any sane family would have to think twice before venturing for this car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats .
Now that's what you call "funky alloys " .
Very valid point made by Sid about the amp and the speakers on the parcel tray.
You may want to place the amp under the seat or in the boot itself.

Anyways drive safe and keep the thread updated .

Cheers
Thanks matey. I wanted the vehicle to attract a bit of attention and stand out among other Brios/hatchbacks. I also had the same set up in my Chevy Beat and fortunately i haven't had issues. I also made it a point to insure the chrome rims and the after market system/speakers as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjacob View Post
wow! congrats man. I test drove the Brio recently, fun little thing but didn't like the rear suspension, a bit too stiff for my likings.

I'm surprised you got a sub into that tiny space, hope the sound isn't overwhelming. Happy driving.
Thank you tjacob. I don't know what the rear seat comfort is like as no one ever sits there. I drive the car all the time and its very rarely that i have a co-passenger. That said i should say that the car's suspension is not comfortable on the bad roads that we encounter everyday but when it comes to handling its great and that's the main reason why i bought the car. The audio system sounds rad and its not overwhelming at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Congrats man! Brio is a very nice hatch to own. And UT looks superb on it. You have got some hot rims giving a jazzy look to your brio. What size of rubber have you upgraded to? The music system looks cool and am sure it would be blast to listen music on it. Enjoy your first Honda.

Thanks pal. I haven't upgraded the rubber on my vehicle. One of the reasons being the fact that i change my car every 2 years (i am keeping my fingers crossed that i should break this habit this time). I didn't want to invest in a new set of tires due to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. Nice sound system and alloys you have got there, though the stock tires don't do full justice to the alloys. A fatter set of rubbers will enhance the looks and the handling further.

And are those beige seats OEM fabric ones? If so, I'd suggest you get some good seat covers in contrasting colors with beige.
Thanks Caffeinated. I agree with your views about the stock tires. The seats are stock fabric that came with the vehicle. I will have to go in for some nice leather seat covers in due course of time as maintaining the beige fabric seats is a very tough proposition.

Last edited by Jaggu : 8th February 2013 at 12:59. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:04   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
I have heard a lot about the quality of Honda engines and their fuel efficiency. Although fuel efficiency is not an important factor for me i must say that i was surprised when the car returned 16.1 km/lit with the first fill of fuel (90% of it was in the city and i haven't used the air con).
Finally your review is up! Car looks nice . How do you manage to drive without the ac in Vizag? By the way, remember me?
mtnrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 13:14   #14
BHPian

A few more pictures of my Brio

The main and spare key (spare key doesn't come with remote)

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050586.jpg

Rear view of the Brio.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050587.jpg

Controls on the drivers side armrest.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050588.jpg

A view of the rear legroom with the drivers seat pushed all the way to the back.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050589.jpg

The Kilometers on the odometer.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050590.jpg

The bluetooth microphone.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050591.jpg

The IVTEC mill.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050592.jpg

Lack of under hood cladding or paint job.

My Honda Brio S MT (chrome rims, 7-speaker ICE etc.)-201302050594.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats on your Breeo. It sure is a breeze to drive in city traffic. Nice flashy alloys, a bit too jazzy for me but hey opinions are subjective.

I see you're still running stock Good Years. If you can go for an upgrade and see how much the ride quality improves. It'll stiffen up the steering just a bit but the handling improves quite a bit.

While you're at it see if you can paint the brake calipers to a contrasting shade. It'll make your Brio stand out better.

Drive safe buddy!!
Thanks for the tips Arup. I like the idea of having the brake calipers painted as that would give the vehicle a sporty look. Though upgrading the stock tires is very tempting i would have to desist from it as I find it difficult to stick to the same vehicle for more than a couple of years and hence i wouldn't want to invest in another set of tires. Another reason is i'm scared to have the alloys removed again as the workmen out here aren't reliable enough to do the job without scratching the alloys. I'm the sort of paranoid person who would change an alloy if he notices a scratch on it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnrajdeep View Post
Finally your review is up! Car looks nice . How do you manage to drive without the ac in Vizag? By the way, remember me?
Hey Rajdeep, i hope you and sisi are doing well. It does sound a bit crazy to drive in good 'ol humid Vizag without the aircon switched on however i have reasons for that. I hate how the aircon saps power out of the engine (no matter how powerful a car) and that makes it feel like you are driving with a foot on the brake . Secondly i use the vehicle for short drives. My typical run would be about 3 or 4 kms from my home after which i stop and the car is parked in the hot sun for at least half hour. After that i drive back home again and there's not really much time for the cabin to get cool as i'm back home in under 10 minutes and this puts a lot of strain on the engine. Anytime i do drive the car for 10+ kms at a stretch i make sure i have the air con on however that is a rarity. I also feel like i am doing my part to help prevent more greenhouse gas emissions this way.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th February 2014 at 20:09. Reason: Please limit smileys to 2/post. Thanks!
chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2013, 18:04   #15
BHPian

A video of my Honda Brio.

chase_nt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks